Photo

Once again at that time of being tired of things like Collecting.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Tyjos Azari

Tyjos Azari

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 119 posts
  • Interests:Collecting,Photography

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:38 PM

Well I go through this fairly often now these days is I get to the point to where I'm tired of Collecting, there are so many things that get my attention but there would never be enough money to get it all much less enough space to display or store it all.

Lately with the big Toy Fair, and Won Fest have shown off some of the great new figures coming out this year and literally I always see something I want, however that just makes me depressed after all the euphoria from the new stuff that comes out is it always comes back to finances. In fact if anything all my recent articles at My Figure Collection.net focus on it in some form, which is a site where I'm heavily active at and it's a database for figures mainly Japanese made ones is that when I look at stuff that DST has released that also got my attention.

But lately having going over my finances and keeping track of everything I get tired of looking at the amounts spent on stuff,my basic needs are provided for me and I can devote what I get to collecting but I cover expenses as well mainly stuff like bills and all that...looking at how things add up so damn fast for the past 6-8 years and how it adds up to insane levels it seems when I collect Anime figures[That's about $100+ per figure at time that's including shipping since I import things in] Right now with the Euphoria wearing off from all the new reveals at these conventions and seeing all the new figures.

Looking ahead I can't help it especially when I have to count in everything else going on -I think way too much,I can't help it it drives me mad at times-

I am stuck at the house a lot mainly,I'm a disabled person so I can't get out to do a lot[I'm too much of a shut in person at times it seems] so I have to find things to keep me occupied Collecting has been a good hobby and has helped me to find some friends online but just lately gotten tired of it and been tired of the rising costs. I wonder how many of you here at TrekToys are collectors of multiple lines and also know the pains of dealing with the high costs of this hobby.

I can never fully retire though, I'm too interested in a lot of things...

#2 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:09 PM

I'm in the same boat:
Comic books
Wwe
Marvel universe
Star Wars ( taking a back seat)
Star Trek (obviously)
Gi joe
Dinosaurs
And visiting theme parks

Not fun to have to pick and choose

#3 Tyjos Azari

Tyjos Azari

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:29 PM

The worst part is with a few things locked in that I can't get out of -If you order from AmiAmi you can't cancel- My April is a doomsday month for the wallet- good thing is the months after April will be rather light.

To me it's having to justify the money being spent.

And this too:
Is it going to be worth it?
Is it going to fit into the collection here?
Is it going to be something I'll keep and not sell off in 6 months?

Literally having to run that through my head plus looking around at this room of mine it alone is a deterrent at times cause I'm already out of room and I'm still collecting.

I'm finding Comic Books to just appeal to me once more not just for the price it looks like finally some series have caught my eye, always good to get drawn into something that has a great story.

So many great things out there and with the internet having direct access to literally EVERYTHING I know each one who reads this can easilly add a few things up and find it too easy to spend well over $300-$500 within a few hours depending on everything they liked then add on monthly expenses and operating expenses.

Plus Potential Expenses for the unexpected things...we got a new cat here and she's pregnant so that means vet bill expenses there and more food to be bought plus kitty litter and depends on how many kittens she has...I mean this is the type of thinking that drives me nuts and at times really takes away my enjoyment of the hobby itself and kills interest in somethings quickly.

I'm SOOOOO Glad I don't collect Macross related items since those blasted jets while they might look awesome are murder on the wallet,and don't get me started on the SDF-1.....

#4 Exelion

Exelion

Tracking number maniac

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:33 AM

Only really collect Anime DVDs/Blu-Rays (well other than Star Trek ships) and that has seriously declined over the past few years, mainly due to a lack of time to watch what I want, but also getting a bit fed up over what is being made in Japan and what actually gets released in the English speaking market. Probably bit of fandom fatigue. Quite glad I never got into the Anime figure side of things (got a few mind), going around Akiharaba last year was little disturbing, not just price wise but also the poses of some of them. unsure.gif

Why order from AmiAmi if you can't cancel surely there are plenty of alternative online shops?

#5 Tyjos Azari

Tyjos Azari

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:52 AM

QUOTE (Exelion @ Feb 16 2013, 02:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Only really collect Anime DVDs/Blu-Rays (well other than Star Trek ships) and that has seriously declined over the past few years, mainly due to a lack of time to watch what I want, but also getting a bit fed up over what is being made in Japan and what actually gets released in the English speaking market. Probably bit of fandom fatigue. Quite glad I never got into the Anime figure side of things (got a few mind), going around Akiharaba last year was little disturbing, not just price wise but also the poses of some of them. unsure.gif

Why order from AmiAmi if you can't cancel surely there are plenty of alternative online shops?

I found that AmiAmi has the best price at times for certain figures and they're usually my first stop and if I want those figures I order from them and they're essentially set in stone and I can know what I'll be paying that month for that figure after I estimate Shipping...plus that way I know I'll get the figure.

I've had to do price comparison a lot on figures plus AmiAmi just has some of the best service so they've done well in that area and I haven't had problems with them the only recent cancellation was due to Orchid Seed constantly delaying one figure I had on order and I got fed up with that.

There might be plenty of other shops but from the stores I've seen on their prices on the figures AmiAmi usually has the lower price.

#6 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:14 PM

Mine are simple. Trek, could be just about anything. Props/Prop Replicas, mostly Trek, but I have an open mind.

#7 Wildcard

Wildcard

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:41 AM

Netflix has helped me with my DVD/Blu ray collecting.

I'm still collecting comics though the New 52 and Marvel NOW "restarts" have helped me thin out the pull list.

As for other things.....well, I did buy a few Hallmark ornaments off the shelf and through eBay, but that's about it. As for toys, I'm ashamed to admit that it has been a long time since I bought anything off the shelf. I'll occasionally look at a new Marvel or Transformers toy and heavily debate getting it....though usually my bank account changes my mind.

I did manage to snag all of the XI trek figures (3 3/4" and 6" lines) as well as the bridge, ship, and transporter....but that was thanks to sales at Big Lots and on Amazon. The cancelation of the 2nd wave and thus the inability to truly complete the bridge has once again left with me AA-itis. Why am I going to start something that I can't finish? Those of you who knew me on the old AACC boards know that I would bring out my bull horn to announce my desire to see complete crew lines in the same style/uniform class. So with the XI line's failure to deliver, I'm loathe to buy anything "hot on the pegs" again....especially with my "fun money" being very precious and rare these days.

The KRE-O lines do not interest me at all. My nephew asked for a KRE-O Transformers Bumblebee last year, and after opening it and helping him assemble it I realized it's really not meant for play; only display. I find it ironic that a toy based on a Transformer can't TRANSFORM!!! And while the head sculpt was awesome, the rest of it wasn't enticing enough for me to buy any for myself.

#8 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:47 PM

Just Star Trek for me and just a select amount of Star Trek from DST, Hasbro and other companies.. Wouldn't ever have a collection like some of the members here, I love the idea of collecting and having a huge collection of various brands more than I like the reality of having all these toys so my collection will only ever be Star Trek for me since Star Trek is my one true love.

But I've been in the position of collecting anything and everything and no sooner had I bought something it would be on eBay.

#9 data_2006

data_2006

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:48 PM

I understand the point, for me I'm still in the good position that I can maintain most of the items I would like to buy (within reason a 6.000 USD Enterprise-D, no matter how cool is out of the picture till I win the lottery). I currently collect anything star trek (and really it is anything, well except maybe plates but I still have a few of those), Master Series Transformers and DST Battlestar galactica & Stargate (both have been unofficially canceled and officially put on hold). But even then its easy to get tempted to try new things (like the Encore edition of Fortress Maximus), and go way over budget....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users