Is Star Trek too grown up for toys?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:06 AM

The selection of toys hasbro have released for Into Darkness and the unstable nature of Star Trek toys in general has got me thinking about the kind of franchise Star Trek is. Is Star Trek too grown up for toys? Meaning that whilst Star Wars, Marvel, Power Rangers, Transformers and the like all have huge toy lines expanding into different areas, are the majority of Star Trek fans too grown up to spend money on toys and are we in the minority here on Trektoy.com or are we even willing to buy entire lines of action figures and wave after wave of playsets and action figures and all that jazz.

I'd say that Star Trek's fan-base is not so much an older fan-base but a fan-base that doesn't typically go out and buy the toys to the show, perhaps buying one or two items to sit on a desk or shelf in the home or office, having other more important things to buy. We may LOVE and ADORE Star Trek but we draw the line at buying the toys because the stories, the morals and the ideas presented in Star Trek are the driving force of our love of Trek rather than having plastic versions of our heroes.

That being said, having just spend

#2 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:03 AM

A great many of the older fans of Trek are into buying props having moved beyond toys. A kit to make a communicator just sold for $300 on ebay. I'm lucky that I have spare cash and room for both.

More kids are into Star Wars, except for the high tide that was TNG in the heyday, they always have been. Less talking, more shooting. LOL The new movies may change that?

Oh and I've tried this. I put a figure of Vader on my desk, people go cooool. I put Kirk on my desk and they sort of smile and roll eyes. I put this on my on desk

and everyone wants to pick it up and play with it. That's why the role play stuff sells and figures don't. In my opinion.

Oh a cool thing about that com I posted above, from my collection, it's made almost completly from wood, yes a pine 2"X4".

#3 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:54 AM

I think you raise a very good point about the kind of product people like to see made... I mean all the excitement around the DST ships at the moment I can't help feel that the excitement will be less around the new Select figures.

#4 Jedigreedo

Jedigreedo

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:16 AM

I don't think maturity is the problem with Star Trek toys. Rather, it's something that has been badly wounded and the Select line looks, at the moment, like it's just continuing to limp on. Hopefully the figure being revealed today will be something that will excite people, and I think folks have warmed up to Select Spock since it DOES look like a very nice set. Select Kirk, though... eh, we'll be good if the sets are more like Spock, and if Kirk doesn't bomb too hard. I can see Kirk hitting clearances within a month after its release.

Anyway, I don't think Star Trek's problem lies within its maturity, but rather it's always been a finicky property and is very easy to lose control of.

Playmates had a huge success until they made a few bad choices that snowballed into the inevitable decline of their consumer base. Then Art Asylum did really well, as did DST until around TNG wave 3. Quality control took a huge hit with an incompetent factory and DST made some bad choices that inevitably snowballed into ridiculous proportions, and killed consumer interest.

Thing is, I think that was also just a period with poor management on DST's part since both of their Stargate lines suffered from some of the worst decisions ever made, and BSG seemed only fair slightly better. I think it was a very bleak point in DST's history and all the figure lines suffered because of it. And YET Star Trek managed to truck on despite it all. Because people wanted the figures, and it was only until they couldn't take anymore delays or Kirks & Spocks (but mostly Kirks) that it died. It was a slow and painful death.

Neither eventual death of the line was a result of Star Trek or its fanbase becoming too mature - except maybe too mature for ridiculous shenanigans.

As for nuTrek... I feel that, aside from personal biased reasoning, what really hurt that franchise for toys is Playmates just failed so bad, so hard, and so spectacularly with their line. I think someone could write a book on just the incredible incompetency that line was handled with. That certainly has sullied the idea of toys (heck, merchandise in general) based on that franchise, and it has been of no surprise that Hasbro is so far only investing in it with one of their most gimmicky lines ever. I mean, to only be making KRE-O sets - and not even that many of them - shows that they only have about as much faith in the property at the moment as they did with Battleship.

Again, though, it's not a maturity issue. That was just expecting actual decency out of product, which Playmates woefully failed to deliver.

What really tells me that it's not a maturity issue is that I see plenty of comments that people WANT more figures. Of course they're very reluctant about the Select figures, but people really do seem to like Select Spock. Kirk, though... I can only see that figure hitting some deep clearances a month after release. Hopefully it won't tank the line.

So, overall, Trek isn't a property that is too grown up for toys, it's just very delicate. Besides, lots of people were even buying the retro MEGO figures. If something isn't too grown up for toys that are more like dolls than action figures, then it's certainly not too grown up for actual action figures. tongue.gif

Also, outside of action figures, people are obviously very interested in the Trek Tek and the ships. The new slew of ship releases, especially the K-BoP, I've seen welcomed with opened but cautious arms. People REALLY want to believe DST is completely changed for the better now, but there is still so much caution about delays and what they're going to release. My friends' reactions at seeing the release of the K-BoP have been very consistent: first it's "Oh wow!" and then "I can't believe they released something new."

#5 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:06 PM

I think you are right JG. There's always a market for action figures from any movie. NECA is doing some real great things with Predator and now they are expanding to other scifi flicks and other movies. What NECA is doing is what Trek should be doing. Do I think little kids are ever going to clamor for Trek figs like they do Star Wars....no. Is there a market for Trek action figures...absolutely. DST is following a pretty good model with the Select line but its not perfect. Whereas NECA is producing high quality figures with multiple paint apps and points of articulation, DST is giving us limited articulation and cool bases. I personally prefer to better articulation and would pay more for such an option and still get the cool bases.

#6 richpit

richpit

The card is maxed out.

• Members
  • 261 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek toys, Star Trek props, Star Trek stuff in general!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:30 PM

QUOTE (FHC @ Feb 10 2013, 09:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I put this on my on desk

and everyone wants to pick it up and play with it. That's why the role play stuff sells and figures don't. In my opinion.

Oh a cool thing about that com I posted above, from my collection, it's made almost completly from wood, yes a pine 2"X4".

I knew that was a Woody comm! He does amazing work.

#7 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:59 AM

Perhaps a different question would be do the majority of Star Trek fans collect toys or anything for that matter? Or is Star Trek one of those franchises that's hugely popular with a fan base that is predominantly made up of people who enjoy watching the show but doesn't collect the toys?

#8 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:01 PM

People who buy toys are always a minority within any fan base. Examples: sports, comic books, movies. The question is are the Trek minority buying toys even smaller than the other minority groups? I don't think we'll ever know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users