• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#41 Alex

Alex

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 926 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 04:59 PM

For those of you who requested it, here's a link to a ZIP file that contains 32 pictures of my defective HD 1701, and it's nacelle which has been sent to Chris Myers; I'm awaiting my replacement from DST now. I apologize for the quality of many of the pictures, the flash made the damage seem a lot less severe in some photos, and made the scuff marks nearly invisible in others. Examine these with a careful eye though and hopefully you can see some of the damage. I initially shot 54 photos of this thing; the 32 that in the ZIP file are the ones I felt depicted the ship somewhat accurately. Take a close look at any head-on shots of the warp engines--yes, the "orange slice" is way off center in a few of them, and no, it's no my camera playing tricks on me. There are also a few photos of the ship after the nacelle was snapped off so that you can see what a one-engined ship looks like; it also allowed me to get photos of damage that might not otherwise be visible. I guess I should say "enjoy," but I think "I hope your ship doesn't look like this," might be a better send off. smile.gif

NOTE: These were archived using Mac OS X 10.5 "Leopard," and are in a ZIP file. To download the archive from Megaupload, just enter the code at the top of the screen, and choose regular download; MegaUpload may make you wait a moment before allowing you to download the file, this is normal. The download is free, just follow the on-screen directions. I don't want to suck up TrekToy bandwidth with 32 photos of a defective ship. If you want to use my photos on your site, please credit me; PM me for my actual name if possible. Thanks. smile.gif

#42 sbamah

sbamah

Tracking number maniac

• Members
  • 92 posts
  • Interests:ST props and vessels<br />Music (rock band member)<br />Good wine...

Posted 20 October 2009 - 07:23 PM

QUOTE (Alex @ Oct 20 2009, 06:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For those of you who requested it, here's a link to a ZIP file that contains 32 pictures of my defective HD 1701, and it's nacelle which has been sent to Chris Myers; I'm awaiting my replacement from DST now. I apologize for the quality of many of the pictures, the flash made the damage seem a lot less severe in some photos, and made the scuff marks nearly invisible in others. Examine these with a careful eye though and hopefully you can see some of the damage. I initially shot 54 photos of this thing; the 32 that in the ZIP file are the ones I felt depicted the ship somewhat accurately. Take a close look at any head-on shots of the warp engines--yes, the "orange slice" is way off center in a few of them, and no, it's no my camera playing tricks on me. There are also a few photos of the ship after the nacelle was snapped off so that you can see what a one-engined ship looks like; it also allowed me to get photos of damage that might not otherwise be visible. I guess I should say "enjoy," but I think "I hope your ship doesn't look like this," might be a better send off. smile.gif

NOTE: These were archived using Mac OS X 10.5 "Leopard," and are in a ZIP file. To download the archive from Megaupload, just enter the code at the top of the screen, and choose regular download; MegaUpload may make you wait a moment before allowing you to download the file, this is normal. The download is free, just follow the on-screen directions. I don't want to suck up TrekToy bandwidth with 32 photos of a defective ship. If you want to use my photos on your site, please credit me; PM me for my actual name if possible. Thanks. smile.gif

Wow, you're not kidding! ... this is one big mess and how this could ever pass Quality control is beyond me (which leads me to believe that there is probably NO quality control at these Chinese factory) ... basically, for the workers : it's grind them out quickly and ship them out as fast as you can with no regards to quality. Unfortunately this is the dark outcome of out-sourcing from cheap suppliers. I don't have enough fingers and toes to count all the defects your single HD ship has.

#43 VE Telus

VE Telus

Toys before the light bill.

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 09:35 PM

I received my HD Enterprise from New Force today. I was disappointed to learn that the Enterprise had no electronics -- no lights and no sounds come on when the bridge dome is depressed. The ship is still unopened in its box, and I have a dilemma.

I understand that some ships, sold discounted by BBTS, are listed as "electronics don't work out of the box", but of course, no one can be sure (as it simply can be a battery issue). I've just never owned an AA/DST ship that did not have working electronics, given the "try me" function on the box. I have this sinking feeling the electronics are shot.

Should I open and test the batteries, in hopes it's just them? Or should I keep the item sealed and unopened, and directly pursue an exchange with Rick? I've e-mailed Rick the issue and asked for his advice, and I hope he can tell me what my options are, and whether he'd prefer the item exchanged (sealed) or exchanged (opened).

#44 Alex

Alex

• Members
  • 926 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 03:47 AM

QUOTE (VE Telus @ Oct 20 2009, 10:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I received my HD Enterprise from New Force today. I was disappointed to learn that the Enterprise had no electronics -- no lights and no sounds come on when the bridge dome is depressed. The ship is still unopened in its box, and I have a dilemma.

I understand that some ships, sold discounted by BBTS, are listed as "electronics don't work out of the box", but of course, no one can be sure (as it simply can be a battery issue). I've just never owned an AA/DST ship that did not have working electronics, given the "try me" function on the box. I have this sinking feeling the electronics are shot.

Should I open and test the batteries, in hopes it's just them? Or should I keep the item sealed and unopened, and directly pursue an exchange with Rick? I've e-mailed Rick the issue and asked for his advice, and I hope he can tell me what my options are, and whether he'd prefer the item exchanged (sealed) or exchanged (opened).

VE Telus, I ordered my HD 1701 from Rick as well; he'll likely tell you to contact DST, but to keep him in the loop in case they don't deliver for some reason. If this happens, my advice would be to e-mail DST, clearly explaining your problem. Make sure that you test the batteries first; they could be loose, they could be dead/dying, and just need replacement. Sometimes you need to tap the bridge dome a few times if the "contacts" for the electronics get stuck--you'll know if this happens because the bridge won't feel the same when you press on it as it does when the ship works. A gentle "tap" will fix this issue if it should occur.

If all else fails and you go through multiple sets of batteries (as I did on my WNMHGB 1701) and it's clear the electronics are fried, again, I suggest e-mailing DST. You might want to use the phone number posted earlier in this thread to follow up with them. DST responded to me within five days and another member here within seven days regarding the defective HD 1701. They'll likely ask you to "break off a nacelle" and mail it back to them. Once they do, break of the nacelle and send it to them for a new ship. Since you'll have to open the thing just to break off the nacelle, I'd recommend opening it to ensure that the batteries aren't the problem; I had an NX-01 arrive with dead batteries once and a fresh set pretty much solved the problem. I hope this helps, and I'm sorry to hear about your HD 1701 being problematic too. My WNMHGB 1701 has defective electronics, and DST never got back to me, which is admittedly why I went to eBay to pick up a functional ship, which I now have--ditto for "The Cage" 1701 as well.

sbamah, my "The Cage" 1701 is even worse when it comes to the paint apps, and I literally had to krazy glue the sensor dish onto the ship because there was nothing holding it in place. What really fumed me though was that DST never responded to my replacement requests for my "The Cage" or "WNMHGB" 1701s, and I wound up having to go on eBay to purchase replacements with a mark-up to boot, adding insult to injury. My WNMHGB replacement was fine, but the person who sold me "The Cage" replacement shipped a standard 1701. I informed the seller and he exchanged the ship for "The Cage" 1701, and I was happy with the transaction in the end, but the fact that I had to purchase these ships twice to get ones that worked, and in the case of "The Cage" 1701, pay to ship an incorrect item back to a seller in exchange for the correct item, really annoyed me. One flaw once in awhile is acceptable, but perpetual flaws on the same mold or a variant thereof are not. The sad thing is that in the case of the 1701, the mold isn't bad, the quality control is. I mean, I have (and have had) several Enterprise-Es, and none of them have been defective. (Some passed through my hands to friends, and others were purchased to customize.) Not one out of just over 10 ships in total. (This includes the BD 1701-E, the 2007 reissue, and the initial 2006 run.) Contrast that to the eight 1701's (including variants) that I have, with three being defective (four if you count the cracked stand on my original ship,) and the quality control issues are simply inexcusable. I swear, the same type of "missing paint" on the warp nacelles on my HD 1701 occurred on my "The Cage" 1701, and both times I wondered how DST could possibly let such a glaring flaw pass quality control.

I was tempted to do video just to demonstrate the lousy quality of the sound chip, but I felt that the photos showed more than enough proof that my ship was damaged. The "snapped nacelle" was my doing, since DST's "return policy" consists of breaking off the nacelle and sending it back to them, but the pain apps, the sound problems, the shoddy workmanship, the split hull, and so on were all DST's doing, and I specifically took pictures before and after breaking off the nacelle to prove that I didn't "add" to any of the damage other than the broken nacelle per DST's request. I'm quite tempted to throw the (highly defective) HD 1701's soundboard into my WNMHGB 1701 with a dead soundboard just to have one semi-functional ship. Sure, the sound FX will be absolutely horrendous and inaccurate, but at least the defective WNMHGB 1701 would have some sounds (my non-defective WNMHGB 1701 from eBay is still boxed,) and lights that actually worked. I swear, if I had the time and money, I'd consider turning that defective HD 1701 into the U.S.S. Constellation from "The Doomsday Machine," or the U.S.S. Republic from the "Star Trek: 25th Anniversary" Computer Game, as it was depicted in the episode "Vengeance." (The U.S.S. Republic can be seen about 35 seconds into this video; I advise using the High Quality option.) Other contenders include any of the ships that M5 destroyed, and the Enterprise-2 from the aforementioned "Vengeance" episode of "Star Trek: 25th Anniversary."

#45 reverie

reverie

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,321 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 06:34 AM

Yikes, skimming through this thread, I think I'm glad I never ordered this one!

#46 VE Telus

VE Telus

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 05:20 PM

VE Telus, I ordered my HD 1701 from Rick as well; he'll likely tell you to contact DST, but to keep him in the loop in case they don't deliver for some reason. If this happens, my advice would be to e-mail DST, clearly explaining your problem. Make sure that you test the batteries first; they could be loose, they could be dead/dying, and just need replacement. Sometimes you need to tap the bridge dome a few times if the "contacts" for the electronics get stuck--you'll know if this happens because the bridge won't feel the same when you press on it as it does when the ship works. A gentle "tap" will fix this issue if it should occur.

Rick advised that I should open the product and check the electronics. I just pulled the ship out, installed new batteries, sent a prayer heavenward, and was relieved to see (and hear) the electronics blast to life. Whew!

What gave me pause, however, was Rick's reply. He said that because the order is international (I'm in Canada), DST only warrants US purchases, and because of the expensive return shipping, that there is no real recourse. In other words, pursuing a return or exchange would not have been possible. This is the first time I've had an issue with DST products (I'm very forgiving in the paint department), but it certainly made me think twice about ordering from New Force in the future. If there is no recourse, then I'm basically purchasing a product that neither the supplier nor the retailer feel is bound to guarantee. I think I may have to go through BBTS; despite the higher price, the safety of mind in being able to exchange (should the item is defective) is more than worth the extra few dollars.

#47 VE Telus

VE Telus

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 05:22 PM

On a completely unrelated note, do any of the board members' HD Enterprise have a yellow hue to the saucer section, both on top and below? I took a damp cloth to remove fingerprints earlier, and after a few gentle swipes, saw that a bunch of yellow was coming off. It's like the colour of curry. The bottom part of the saucer is affected the worse, and there's a distinct yellowish tint down there.

Any of yours have this?

#48 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 05:45 PM

QUOTE (VE Telus @ Oct 21 2009, 07:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
On a completely unrelated note, do any of the board members' HD Enterprise have a yellow hue to the saucer section, both on top and below? I took a damp cloth to remove fingerprints earlier, and after a few gentle swipes, saw that a bunch of yellow was coming off. It's like the colour of curry. The bottom part of the saucer is affected the worse, and there's a distinct yellowish tint down there.

Any of yours have this?

I dont have the ship myself, but it sounds like you are talking about the rust ring that was put on i guess to try to make the ship look closer to the actual ship. Anyone who has the ship, please chime in.

#49 'E'

'E'

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 06:14 PM

QUOTE (VE Telus @ Oct 21 2009, 04:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Any of yours have this?

Mine's the same.

#50 VE Telus

VE Telus

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 06:42 PM

I thought it was the rust ring at first too, but the rust is a different colour, and located only at the top of the saucer. I'm surprised that so much yellow comes off with just a damp cloth. I did not even apply pressure; it's just a super gentle swipe, and my white tissue became yellow all over. There's still more yellow coming off no matter how much I swipe, but oddly, no matter how much is swiped, there still appears to be uniform yellow hue on the lower hull, like it wasn't disturbed at all. How very odd.

Given the absence of grid lines on the bottom of the saucer, the missing deck 3 windows, and the yellow that comes off with the slightest touch, this HD Enterprise sure feels like the worst of all the variations.

The only good thing about this? A stand that's not broken ... yet.

#51 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 09:14 AM

QUOTE (VE Telus @ Oct 21 2009, 07:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I thought it was the rust ring at first too, but the rust is a different colour, and located only at the top of the saucer. I'm surprised that so much yellow comes off with just a damp cloth. I did not even apply pressure; it's just a super gentle swipe, and my white tissue became yellow all over. There's still more yellow coming off no matter how much I swipe, but oddly, no matter how much is swiped, there still appears to be uniform yellow hue on the lower hull, like it wasn't disturbed at all. How very odd.

Residual nicotine from chain-smoking assembly line workers? Asbestos flakes falling from the factory ceiling? Yellow lead paint from the factory door stuck to the workers' hands? ;p

While I understand why everyone is disappointed (and I surely will be too when [if] my HD/ISS finally arrive), I don't know why anyone would be surprised by this. You should see how terrible the very first original 1701 I purchased is. Smudges everywhere, layers of filth on top of the paint, messed up shuttlebay, etc. It looks good from about 10 feet away. tongue.gif

#52 Zapp Brannigan

Zapp Brannigan

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 02:52 PM

QUOTE (VE Telus @ Oct 21 2009, 05:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Rick advised that I should open the product and check the electronics. I just pulled the ship out, installed new batteries, sent a prayer heavenward, and was relieved to see (and hear) the electronics blast to life. Whew!

What gave me pause, however, was Rick's reply. He said that because the order is international (I'm in Canada), DST only warrants US purchases, and because of the expensive return shipping, that there is no real recourse. In other words, pursuing a return or exchange would not have been possible. This is the first time I've had an issue with DST products (I'm very forgiving in the paint department), but it certainly made me think twice about ordering from New Force in the future. If there is no recourse, then I'm basically purchasing a product that neither the supplier nor the retailer feel is bound to guarantee. I think I may have to go through BBTS; despite the higher price, the safety of mind in being able to exchange (should the item is defective) is more than worth the extra few dollars.

I live in Canada and I got sent a defective HD Enterprise from New Force and DST is replacing mine.

#53 VE Telus

VE Telus

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 07:36 PM

Zapp, did you contact them using the form on their website? How fast was the reply?

#54 Alex

Alex

• Members
  • 926 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 01:08 AM

HD 1701 UPDATE: Okay, the delivery confirmation that I stuck on the nacelle I returned says that it was delivered to DST, so I'm now awaiting the replacement ship. I just hope that this one is better than the first one.

As far as the "yellow paint" on the saucer goes, I again ask you to divert your eyes to the ZIP file I linked to earlier in this thread. If you open up pretty much any picture with a good shot of the saucer, you'll notice what appears to be a "light gold" paint that unevenly covers the top (and to some extent, the bottom) of the saucer. It's a bit lighter than the "dark gold" used for the "rust ring/escape pod covers," but it definitely shows up on a decent still camera. Given how poorly constructed my HD 1701 was, I'm not sure if this is meant to be there or not, but it's definitely the "curry-colored" paint that you're talking about VE Telus.

Personally, I think that the "splash of gold" actually looks pretty good to the naked eye; it's not really noticeable unless you stick it right next to the standard 1701. It appears that the "curry-colored" gold paint makes the ship look slightly less glossy/shiny, and a bit more "realistic/accurate." VE Telus, in your case, my guess is that the factory applied too much of the "curry-gold" to your saucer, and it's now visible and/or flaking off. If someone has a non-defective HD 1701, I'd like to know if they too have the "curry-gold" on their saucer, and if it's noticeable to the naked eye, or only on camera. Also, I'm glad to hear that your ship works; sometimes the batteries are just dead and need to be changed, other times with DST, well I'm sure you've heard about fried electronics in ships.

Reverie, the ship itself isn't the problem, it's the complete lack of quality control that killed what is an otherwise awesome design concept. Could the ship use a few more sound FX? Definitely, but the visual design of the ship would be decent if DST was on top of quality control. Sadly, poor QC has ruined an otherwise awesome limited run ship.

Finally, I will of course keep everyone updated on the status of my replacement ship, I'm still waiting (with baited breath) for it to arrive. I'll keep you guys posted. smile.gif

#55 Zapp Brannigan

Zapp Brannigan

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 04:48 AM

QUOTE (VE Telus @ Oct 23 2009, 07:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Zapp, did you contact them using the form on their website? How fast was the reply?

I just e-mailed their customer service. Took about four days before Chris Myers responded. I sent out my nacelle on 10/19.

#56 Alex

Alex

• Members
  • 926 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 03:10 AM

QUOTE (Zapp Brannigan @ Oct 24 2009, 04:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just e-mailed their customer service. Took about four days before Chris Myers responded. I sent out my nacelle on 10/19.

Zapp--

My nacelle arrived at DST on 10/19/2009 at 8:35AM, so says the USPS website anyway. I was wondering, does anyone know DST's usual turnaround time from the time that they receive the nacelle to the time that they actually ship out the replacement item? I'm just curious; I'd like to know if DST has sent my replacement HD 1701 yet, and when I should expect it to arrive.

The one thing that truly kills me about my ship being so screwed up is that the box was amazingly pristine, which made opening it obnoxiously painful. You know, I just realized that I actually do have a use for the damaged HD 1701, or at least it's stand. My original 1701's stand is held together with "krazy glue," so at the very least, I suppose I should take the defective HD 1701's stand (which doesn't appear to be damaged,) and stick that on my standard 1701. I guess the spare stand may be the one good thing to come from the defective ship.

Speaking of which, DST has now run approximately five or six variants of the TOS Enterprise, right? I know DSTChuck mentioned that retooling the ships is something that they can't really do on reissues, but when something is as defective as the TOS Enterprise stand, (and by extension the TWOK 1701 and 1701-A stands that it's based on,) shouldn't DST spend the extra money in the short run to retool the defective design, rather than constantly having to send out replacement stands everytime another one breaks? I mean, the TOS-era stands aren't that different from the Enterprise-E and Enterprise-D stands, except that the D and the E have a "delta shield" from their respective era, and the stand has support on both sides. I would think that retooling the stand for the TOS-era ships to add additional "load bearing" support to both sides of the stands wouldn't be too unreasonable to ask of DST. I mean, think about it. They're reissuing the TWOK 1701, they could start by retooling the stand there. Again, I know DSTChuck mentioned cost as an issue, but this isn't a stand for one ship, it's stand for several ships. DST may not have plans to reissue the 1701-A right now, but if they did, they could include the retooled stand with that ship as well. Likewise, the TOS 1701's stand, and by extension the stand that comes with every variant thereof, is merely a modified 1701-A/TWOK 1701 stand, so they'd be able to use the retooled stands there as well. What I don't understand is why DST hasn't done this yet. I mean, not retooling the TWOK 1701 for "always-on" lighting I can understand--it's only one ship. Not retooling the stand that's used for the TWOK 1701, TOS 1701, 1701-A, and any variant thereof seems counterproductive when it seems like DST is constantly replacing stands with this particular design. (Again, it was fine for the 12" NX-01, but the 16" 1701s are just too large for this type of stand.) At some point, it has to be cheaper to redesign the flawed stands than to have DST continue to send out replacements, right? Again, I'm just curious here.

Finally, I'll keep you guys posted on any new HD 1701 developments.

#57 Alex

Alex

• Members
  • 926 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 12:46 AM

I hate to "bump" this thread, but I'm admittedly starting to worry; DST received my nacelle awhile ago and I haven't heard or seen anything from them. Should I be worried yet? For other people who've broken off nacelles and sent them to DST, what's the usual turnaround time for them to get your replacement ship out to you? Right now I wake up every morning, look at my HD 1701 missing it's nacelle, and then think to myself "I really hope my replacement ship shows up today." Again, any and all information is appreciated. As stated before, I'll keep you posted with updates as they happen. I'm probably worrying a little too soon, but I can't help it; I never know what to expect from DST. Some stuff is amazing, and other stuff, well let's just say this thread is a result of that "other stuff" category.

#58 Zodou

Zodou

Lives in the city on the edge of forever

• Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 03:47 PM

Alex, I sent mine about a week before you did and have yet to see a replacment or hear from DST. I'm going to give them another week, if it hasn't arrived I'll be contacting them.

#59 Alex

Alex

• Members
  • 926 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 03:17 PM

QUOTE (Zodou @ Nov 5 2009, 04:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Alex, I sent mine about a week before you did and have yet to see a replacment or hear from DST. I'm going to give them another week, if it hasn't arrived I'll be contacting them.
Zodou, thank you for the heads-up; I was beginning to think that I had an "itchy trigger finger" so to speak, but I'm glad I'm to know that I'm not losing my mind. I'm sorry that your ship hasn't arrived yet either, but I admittedly feel a little bit better (read: saner) knowing that I'm not the only one having this problem. I swear, first DST mangles my HD 1701, then they mangle the decals for my 1701-D(s), and now they're "mangling" the return process it seems. Chris Myers is one of the best guys that they've got, and he's the one who told me to send in the nacelle, so I'm admittedly a bit let down that the ship hasn't shown yet, and I don't want to bother Mr. Myers who seems like one of the nicest guys at DST.

Of course, knowing that I was dealing with DST, I made sure to slap a deliver confirmation number on that nacelle; I admittedly do this for virtually every package that I send, but I was [b]extra careful[/i] to do this with DST, because I figured if they didn't send me my ship, and/or claimed that they never received the nacelle, I could point them to the USPS website, which tells me that they received the nacelle. It's sad that I have to actually plan for DST to screw something like this up. (Then again, with Playmates, I fully expected them to botch several of their ships, such as Andy's defective "JJ-prise," so maybe I'm being a bit unfair to DST, or maybe both companies could use a new quality control department.)

I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but the ship I received should've never passed quality control, and I find it hard to believe that given the amount of problems this has to be causing DST, that they haven't figure out that they should do a surprise inspection/audit of their factories and hopefully get the quality control people to wake-up. I'd think DST is losing money every time a defective ship makes it out of the factory.

Zodou, please put another post in this thread when your ship comes or when you call DST; if you're giving them another week, I'll give them two more, then I'll give them a call and see if they can find out where they misplaced my ship. I hope people from DST are reading these forums even if they aren't posting here, because I hope that they're seeing these problems and trying to find ways to improve them. Screwing up once is one thing, screwing up constantly, and with the same mistakes is something else entirely though, and I feel like DST has done the latter with the 1701. In all fairness, they caught their "mistake" with the 1701-D, and even attempted to correct it, (I want another production run though either way,) and with the 1701-E, I don't think they expected the backlash that they received over the lack of a play cover, blue "rice bulbs," and the missing detail on the paint of the ship. I mean, the bar for the "E" had already been set pretty low by Playmates, and when you compare the two, DST did a great job and I didn't see many mangled ships there, not nearly as many as I have of the HD 1701, and none of my 1701-Es were mangled. The TWOK 1701 was flawed because DST used plastic that was probably intended for their "rice bulb" layout and not LEDs; if they fix the light bleed on the reissue (and effectively prove my point,) it'll only be the 1701 that seems to have constant problems. I've purposely excluded the NX-01 and 1701-A which were purely Art Asylum releases from this list, although we could look at the I.S.S. Enterprise NX-01, which DST did a great job with as well, again suggesting that the 1701 and its variants seem to be getting the worst quality control of any DST ship. I don't know if it's because there's supposedly more of them than any other DST ship, or if it's because they're made in a different factory, or if it's because DST's quality control team is sleeping on the job/abducted by Klingons/being tormented by Q, but I do know that it's only the TOS 1701 and its variants that seem to give me a headache when I order them.

#60 Zodou

Zodou

Lives in the city on the edge of forever

• Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 06:17 PM

I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but the ship I received should've never passed quality control, and I find it hard to believe that given the amount of problems this has to be causing DST, that they haven't figure out that they should do a surprise inspection/audit of their factories and hopefully get the quality control people to wake-up. I'd think DST is losing money every time a defective ship makes it out of the factory.

Agreed, my understanding is that DST does not have QC person on hand in the factory, too expensive. (In the short term, the # of free replacments would indicate a long term money loss.) When I receive a product that looks as though it was constructed by a Zombie Ray Charles, I think it is perfectly reasonable to expect a refund or replacment. Interestingly enough, the person I spoke to on the phone felt differently.

Zodou, please put another post in this thread when your ship comes or when you call DST

Already planned to. biggrin.gif Suprisingly, I've had little trouble with DST's Trek ships and TEK. However, the recent issues with my AGT-D and my HD have prompted me to do buisness only with those online buisnesses that guarantee the product they sell; and then only with exclusives. Everything else, I'll pay the inflated prices my comic book guy charges to inspect the product personally.

I grow weary of this game...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users