• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#61 OneAngryDwrf

OneAngryDwrf

Action figure anonymous member

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 12:25 AM

Yep, it's me... All in all, I am well. A few years older, and a little bit thicker, but still as big a Trek toy geek as ever. Nice to be amongst old friends as it were. I only wish I had discovered this board sooner! Good to hear from ya Donster!

smile.gif

TKO the OAD

#62 Alex

Alex

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 926 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 04:18 AM

QUOTE (OneAngryDwrf @ Jul 9 2009, 12:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yep, it's me... All in all, I am well. A few years older, and a little bit thicker, but still as big a Trek toy geek as ever. Nice to be amongst old friends as it were. I only wish I had discovered this board sooner! Good to hear from ya Donster!

smile.gif

TKO the OAD

OAD good to see you again man! You probably remember me as "Cyrax9" back in the days when we were clamoring for the Ent-E along with good ol' Razor on the Art Asylum boards. smile.gif

I have two AGT-D's, one is still boxed and sounds fine, the other is on display, although Riker's voice sounds slightly "deeper," but nothing that doesn't sound like Riker to me--although I might have to watch AGT again and make sure.

My standard Ent-Ds are in a similar situation. Again, I have one that sounds fine and has remained boxed, and I have one that's on display but I'm not sure about the sound anymore. I played the YouTube link in the first post, the "Picard" on my open ship sounds like a cross between the "good" ship and the "bad" ship; that is, he still sounds like Picard, but his voice is a bit "low/slow" from what I can tell. I might have to play the good ship portion of the video, my ship, and the bad ship portion of the video to be sure though. My worry is that if my ship is slightly "off" now, it'll be totally out of whack down the line. My only other gripe about my Ent-D is that both of my regular Ent-Ds arrived with somewhat damaged packaging. One box was really "crunched" with no damage to the ship, so that's the one I opened, but my other ship has crushed corners on the packaging, so I might need to buy another ship down the line, although I'd like to avoid the defective sound chip if possible. I'd hate to buy a ship with a perfect box only to have the sound chip be a mess and have to replace it. I can deal with a third Ent-D on my hands as a result of the crushed box--I'm sure I'll find a use for it. wink.gif

Finally, a couple of "odd" questions:
1. If the LR44 batteries aren't powering the sound FX when the saucer is separated, then what is powering them? I've had my saucer section in an entirely different room on an entirely different story from my stardrive section, so I highly doubt "phantom power from the stardrive" is the answer.
2. If the LR44s aren't for the sound FX/lighting in the saucer, then what are they for? How does the saucer section function without them?
3. Should I attempt to purchase a third Ent-D (see previous statement about the packaging being damaged) now, or should I wait to see if DST supposedly fixes the sound problem.

Oh, and as far as breaking off the nacelles goes for DST's replacement program, I can actually understand why they'd do this. Think about what it'd cost to ship the Ent-D back to DST--the thing is huge, there's no point in shipping the whole toy back. I suppose DST could just do a "saucer exchange" program, but that means that they'd wind up with a bunch of extra stardrive sections that they'd have no use for, short of potentially selling them "white box" style for people who wanted to customize them--its easier for DST to just replace the whole ship. The nacelles most likely serve as a "proof of purchase;" sure someone could exploit the repair program by breaking off the nacelles of a perfectly good ship to get a free replacement and keep a spare saucer section, as has been stated before, but anyone crazy enough to try that really has too much time on their hands. I feel bad even mentioning it again in fear that I might give some nutjob lurking around here (and obviously not posting) ideas. If the problem here seems to be so widespread, maybe DST should just run off a bunch of saucers with new electronics as replacements--any leftovers could be packaged in a white box and sold to people who do custom ships--that would also potentially deter thieves from exploiting the repair program for a free saucer section.

I can vouch for what Prometheus said with my open AGT-D. It sounded abysmal at first, but it seems to sound like Riker now, of course, I pressed that bridge dome quite a bit when I got it, so who knows what caused it to sound weird early on.

Also, DST can be rather negligent when you try to contact them about replacements. I politely called and e-mailed them about defective 1701s from "The Cage," and WNMHGB, but they never got back to me about either ship, and I eventually wound up purchasing replacements off of e(vil)Bay for a somewhat absurd price--I even wound up having to return/exchange the ship from "The Cage" because the seller initially sent me the wrong item, but it worked out in the end. At least I have the ships now, even if I have two defective ones sitting in my basement as well.

#63 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 09:37 AM

QUOTE (Alex @ Jul 10 2009, 05:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Finally, a couple of "odd" questions:
1. If the LR44 batteries aren't powering the sound FX when the saucer is separated, then what is powering them? I've had my saucer section in an entirely different room on an entirely different story from my stardrive section, so I highly doubt "phantom power from the stardrive" is the answer.
2. If the LR44s aren't for the sound FX/lighting in the saucer, then what are they for? How does the saucer section function without them?
3. Should I attempt to purchase a third Ent-D (see previous statement about the packaging being damaged) now, or should I wait to see if DST supposedly fixes the sound problem.

Also, DST can be rather negligent when you try to contact them about replacements. I politely called and e-mailed them about defective 1701s from "The Cage," and WNMHGB, but they never got back to me about either ship, and I eventually wound up purchasing replacements off of e(vil)Bay for a somewhat absurd price--I even wound up having to return/exchange the ship from "The Cage" because the seller initially sent me the wrong item, but it worked out in the end. At least I have the ships now, even if I have two defective ones sitting in my basement as well.

The LR44s do power the sound FX when the saucer is separated. That's the only time they are used. They are not used at all when it's connected -- that's what I've been saying all along. Connect it and remove them and you will find it all continues working.

I still have no response from DST, so I'm beginning to think I won't get one. My first attempt was through their "contact us" form on artasylum.com; next I may try a normal email sent to their customer service address. If they do have a replacement program, then they probably ship the replacement in package, so you may just want to wait? But...I get the feeling that on a deal like this they aren't just going to send out a free ship to everyone who sends in a nacelle -- so I would recommend that everyone makes direct contact with them before doing anything drastic, to have confirmation that they are expecting a nacelle from you.

#64 Zapp Brannigan

Zapp Brannigan

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 11:07 PM

QUOTE (OneAngryDwrf @ Jul 8 2009, 07:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
"the bussard collectors do not light half of the time, while the blue sections on the nacelles do"

I am having the same issue but with the AGT Ent. D. I just received two from New Force yesterday, both openers. Before I opened them I made sure the lights and Riker's voice were ok in both and they were. But an hour ago, while cycling through the sounds, I noticed that one of the bussard collectors was going very dim, to the point where it looked burnt out. My friend and I combine our orders to save on shipping because we live in Canada so opening the 2nd ship is not an option. After reading some of the posts about DST customer service exchanging defective ships, I feel a little better. But what bugs me is that I've already shelled out $70CAD and will probably have to shell out another $10CAD to ship the nacelles to DST. Also, I don

#65 Zapp Brannigan

Zapp Brannigan

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 02:26 PM

QUOTE (JMW326 @ Jul 2 2009, 09:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
People that have the audio problem can send the ships nacelles to the following address for a replacement
ship...

Diamond Select Toys
ATTN: Returns
1966 Greenspring Drive, Suite 300
Timonium, MD 21093

I

#66 trek24

trek24

Toys before the light bill.

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 08:50 PM

I'm curious as to how is sending in the nacelles are going to solve the sound problem? It'll solve the bussard lighting issue, but I'm unclear about the sound solution. Can anyone shed some light on this? Thanks.

#67 knightone

knightone

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 04:27 AM

QUOTE (trek24 @ Jul 14 2009, 09:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm curious as to how is sending in the nacelles are going to solve the sound problem? It'll solve the bussard lighting issue, but I'm unclear about the sound solution. Can anyone shed some light on this? Thanks.

Sending in the nacelle is just solid proof of purchase. They send you a complete, new replacement Enterprise-D once they receive your nacelle.

#68 knightone

knightone

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 04:31 AM

QUOTE (Zapp Brannigan @ Jul 14 2009, 03:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I

#69 Thomas E. Johnson

Thomas E. Johnson

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 495 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 02:28 AM

Now both of my ships are screwing up when I seperate the saucer sections. mad.gif

#70 pawpal

pawpal

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 10:42 PM

Okay I've finally tested all my 8 E-Ds as well as 4 AGT E-Ds and can confirm that replacing all the batteries (AAAs and LR44s) does not resolve the problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users