• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#1 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 05:04 PM

I'm interested in knowing the extent of the audio problem, and learning whether it was only in one batch or will continue throughout. The problem is that some ships' audio playback is slowed down and/or low-pitched, making Picard (or Riker, for the AGT-D) sound funny. You can discern this in 'Try Me' mode without opening the ship. Reportedly, replacing batteries does not help. To hear a good one, followed by a bad one, go here:

Therefore I thought I'd try conducting a brief survey... this topic seems significant enough to me to warrant its own thread.
  1. How many of either ship did you buy?
  2. How many have an audio problem?
  3. Roughly when did you receive them?
  4. From whom did you purchase them?

Here is my response:
  1. 2 regular, 2 AGT = 4 total
  2. 1 regular, 1 AGT = 2 total w/problem
  3. June 26th
  4. BigBadToyStore (BBTS) - fulfilled AGT June 9th, first regular June 18th, second regular June 23rd

UPDATE: Replacing the LR44's does no good. The audio is not powered by these batteries when the saucer is connected. Replacing the AAA's does no good either. I can now state this with absolute certainty. If some report that replacing batteries fixed their problem, then they had a different problem.

#2 Hermey the Elf

Hermey the Elf

Lives in the city on the edge of forever

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 06:03 PM

One, 1701-D
None
June 26th
Newforce

#3 Zapp Brannigan

Zapp Brannigan

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 01:46 AM

Updated: 7/10/09

1. 2 regular, 2 AGT
2. 1 regular, Zero issues with audio but one of the bussard collectors does not light up half of the time in one ship
3. 6/19 & 6/26, 7/09
4. Two different local shops in my city, New Force

My good & bad ship sound exactly like the one

#4 Thomas E. Johnson

Thomas E. Johnson

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 495 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 03:29 AM

QUOTE (Zapp Brannigan @ Jun 29 2009, 03:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
1. 2 regular, 2 AGT
2. 1 regular, TBD
3. 6/19 & 6/26, Yet to be shipped
4. Two different local shops in my city, New Force

My good & bad ship sound exactly like the one

#5 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 07:29 AM

QUOTE (Zapp Brannigan @ Jun 29 2009, 02:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Does that include replacing the three LR44 button batteries in the saucer?

QUOTE (Thomas E. Johnson @ Jun 29 2009, 04:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thats a thought. Its these batteries that power the sound effects.

It was the posters pawpal and Prometheus who reported that replacing the batteries does not help in the other Enterprise-D thread (on pages 3 and 4). Hopefully they will see this thread and let us know if their efforts included these; if not maybe I will try it tonight (though I'm still not quite mentally prepared to open them and risk being unable to return).

Personally the only time any factory batteries have caused sound problems for me in DST toys was after they were several years old, not when they are fairly new.

#6 Prometheus

Prometheus

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 01:47 PM

Here is a REALLY weird one !!! I am NOT making this up.... I bought two regular Ds ...They came in a sealed case from DST...One was perfect the other had the audio defect ( Low voice) As I have been using the defective toy the sound is going back to normal !!!! Picard actually sounds like Picard now...Not like Isaac Hayes ! LOL Has anyone had this happen?

#7 flw

flw

Tracking number maniac

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 02:02 PM

- 4 regular
- 6/26
- New Force

#8 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 02:15 PM

I ended up with 3 and one has that low sound and the other two are alright.

#9 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 02:41 PM

QUOTE (Prometheus @ Jun 29 2009, 02:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Here is a REALLY weird one !!! I am NOT making this up.... I bought two regular Ds ...They came in a sealed case from DST...One was perfect the other had the audio defect ( Low voice) Well as I have used with the defective toy the sound is going back to normal !!!! Picard actually sounds like Picard now...Not like Isaac Hayes ! LOL Has anyone had this happen?

Hi Prometheus... Two questions -- first, when you originally tried to fix it by replacing batteries (with no initial success) did you replace *all* batteries including the LR44 button batteries in the saucer? Second, what sorts of things have you been doing w/your enterprise that fixed itself...playing sounds a lot, separating the saucer a lot, dropping it from high places, hitting it with blunt objects like a hammer? biggrin.gif

#10 Prometheus

Prometheus

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 03:37 PM

QUOTE (Whirlygig @ Jun 29 2009, 04:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Prometheus... Two questions -- first, when you originally tried to fix it by replacing batteries (with no initial success) did you replace *all* batteries including the LR44 button batteries in the saucer? Second, what sorts of things have you been doing w/your enterprise that fixed itself...playing sounds a lot, separating the saucer a lot, dropping it from high places, hitting it with blunt objects like a hammer? biggrin.gif

Hey Whirlygig.... As much as I have wanted to hit the darn thing with a hammer...I have not.... I havent seperated it too much either...I just have been palying the sounds over and over... I thought I noticed it going slightly back to normal initially...and sure enough the more I played it...It is now almost perfect.

#11 Hermey the Elf

Hermey the Elf

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 04:22 PM

Here's a good long review of the 1701-D and this guy has one with a bad (speed is too slow) soundboard (around the 4:00 mark, he begins discussing the sound issue and also demonstrates):

#12 Hermey the Elf

Hermey the Elf

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 04:24 PM

QUOTE (Prometheus @ Jun 29 2009, 03:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Here is a REALLY weird one !!! I am NOT making this up.... I bought two regular Ds ...They came in a sealed case from DST...One was perfect the other had the audio defect ( Low voice) As I have been using the defective toy the sound is going back to normal !!!! Picard actually sounds like Picard now...Not like Isaac Hayes ! LOL Has anyone had this happen?

That's very interesting, Prometheus. Wonder if they all will sound better after extended play and also changing of batteries. Wonder if this also applies to the TOS tricorders with bad soundboards. DST should be investigating this problem. ARE YOU READING THIS, DST???

#13 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 01:07 PM

Both my AGT and Reg D have the sound problems, but honestly I don't mind =)

#14 pawpal

pawpal

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 01:44 PM

Hey Whirlygig I read your PM. I did not in fact replace the LR44 button batteries. Let me try that to see if it works.

On a related note, the Tricorders have the same sound problem. Anyone had their sound chips improve after repeated playing, as some have stated above with their E-D?

#15 pawpal

pawpal

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 01:46 PM

QUOTE (Prometheus @ Jun 30 2009, 05:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey Whirlygig.... As much as I have wanted to hit the darn thing with a hammer...I have not.... I havent seperated it too much either...I just have been palying the sounds over and over... I thought I noticed it going slightly back to normal initially...and sure enough the more I played it...It is now almost perfect.

Uh, so practice makes perfect? You weren't zooming the ship all through your house the whole night again were you? biggrin.gif

#16 knightone

knightone

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 07:19 PM

2 x regular
1 x AGT

All three have sound problems. I don't like dialogue anyway, so it isn't a big deal to me. As long as all the lights work and the constant-on function is good.

#17 Prometheus

Prometheus

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 08:55 PM

QUOTE (pawpal @ Jun 30 2009, 03:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Uh, so practice makes perfect? You weren't zooming the ship all through your house the whole night again were you? biggrin.gif

It's become a very sad state of affairs pawpal.... I fly the thing around constantly.... I swear I need help !!! LOL

#18 Hermey the Elf

Hermey the Elf

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 09:58 PM

I saw a review where a guy had a bad soundboard with low sounding Picard. He said he changed the three LR44 watch batteries in the saucer and the three AAA batteries in the secondary hull, and then, "Patrick Stewart's voice will sound normal again."

#19 Commodore Kor'Tar

Commodore Kor'Tar

The Great Tribble Hunter

• Members
  • 2,415 posts
  • Interests:Playmates figures and ships (90s era), Art Asylum and DST figures and ships , Galoob figures and micro machines .

Posted 30 June 2009 - 11:33 PM

Anyone know how much 3 LR44 batteries cost? My Enterprise - D hasn't arrived yet , if it does and it has audio problems , i'd like to know how much i'll need to spend to get it sounding like it should .

#20 LT CMDR DATA

LT CMDR DATA

Tracking number maniac

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 11:48 PM

at walgreen its $8.99 for three, the LR44 are not that expensive. i need to pick some up for me, only for one reason:
since i got my D on friday (6/26) i have been playing with it the whole weekend since. on sunday of last week i used up all of the little batteries!! i use alot of the separation during most my playing so i ran out of power in the saucer and now i have to buy some new ones. what was new to me is when i separate the saucer; picard would say his line but he gets cut off at "prepare for e..." then it shuts off and the inpulse light on it would stay lit but its dim not bright.
hope that helps you kor'tar.

now for the survey:
-1 regular D
-no problem with sound
-came in on 6/26/09
-got from newforce

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users