• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 weyoun_9

weyoun_9

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 433 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 07:34 PM

Okay...depending on how my poll goes, this might be my list wish list thread. sad.gif Someone had suggested "diorama sets" or "episode-themed" waves and I think that's a great idea. Granted, I'd love to see full crews, but maybe someone approaching each series from this angle could make the line more interesting AND could use this idea as a sneaky way to cover the full crews without having to rely solely on "Here's Harry Kim in HIS uniform, here's Dr. Bashir in HIS uniform." It could be a much more creative marketing tool which ALSO could be a way to bring us a few more unique aliens. It's not just a Sisko/Dukat two-pack...but it's Sisko and Dukat head to head in the Fire Caves of Bajor with a special Kai Winn engulfed in flames in the background. (That last part might be a little much). Oh, and PS...this is something that the Star Wars line does a bunch.

So, I have a few ideas...but I'd love to hear other people's as well. To save space, I'll do one set for each series and I'll keep the post horizontal so it doesn't get too long. wink.gif

Episode Sets:
Enterprise: Season 4 T'Pol, Archer, and T'Pau in "The Forge "TOS: Kirk, McCoy, and Mugato from "A Private Little War" TNG: Sela captures Spock and Data in "Unification"
DS9: Sisko Faces off with Kai Winn and Gul Dukat in the Fire Caves in "What We Leave Behind" VOY: Janeway Rescues 7 of 9 from the Borg Queen in "Dark Frontier"

Starfleet/Villain Sets:
Enterprise: Archer/Vosk TOS: Kirk/Koloth TNG: Season 1 Picard/Judge Q DS9: Sisko/Dukat VOY: Janeway/Maj Cullah

Anyone else? (And yes...I realize I have a lot of free time on my hands...I take public transit and my busy time at work comes in cycles)

#2 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • Interests:"Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?"

Posted 05 August 2010 - 09:53 PM

The one for Enterprise that comes to mind is T'Pol and Trip in the Decontamination scene! laugh.gif
TOS: Definately Kirk and Spock with Horta
TNG: Q with Judge Chair
DS9: Gotta get Quark with Bar, Morn on Barstool and another with Rom and Leeta with Dabo Table
VOY: I can't really think of any but it would be kinda cool to see something from Tom Paris' Flash Gordon like holodeck program.

#3 J C R

J C R

Newforce is my home page.

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 07:45 AM

I would love to see "Yesterdays Enterprise" with:

Guinan
Tasha Yar
Captain Rachel Garrett
Lieutentant Richard Castillo

And for DS9 "The Resistance" (The Niner's who help take back the station) in several episodes

Major Kira
Quark
Morn
Leeta
Tora Ziyal
Jake Sisko
Rom

For Voyager, "Flashback"

Janeway and Tuvok in Classic Movie Uniform
Captain Sulu
Commander Rand
Kang
Valtane

#4 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2010 - 03:00 AM

I think Episodic box sets would be a better way to go but... I think DST should stop producing action figures and they should focus on the ships and the role-play items focusing on detail and quality above all else and let another company like Hasbro deal with making action figures in a smaller scale as well as toy ships and play-sets....

However, rather than just abandoning it's fans... In the fall of 2016 - Star Trek's 50th, (giving them plenty of time to plan and really work at this) I think DST should release ONE immense limited edition boxed set of each of the main cast members from each of the FIVE TV series:

TOS: Kirk, Spock, McCoy, Scott, Sulu, Checkov, Uhura, Chapel.
TNG: Picard, Riker, Worf, Data, Laforge, Troi, Crusher, Wesley Crusher.
DS9: Sisko, Dax (Jadzia), O'Brein, Bashir, Quark, Odo, Kira, Jake.
VOY: Janeway, 7of9, The Dr, Chakotay, Kim, Paris, Tores, Neelix.
ENT: Archer, Tucker, T'Pol, Phlox, Mayweather, Reed, Sato.
BONUS 40th FIGURE: Lt. Tasha Yar.

40 Limited Edition Figures to commemorate the 50th anniversary of Star Trek.

Each figure would be an entirely unique sculpt to specific characters - no re-use - not only that but each character would be an entirely NEW sculpt - from head to toe - each figure would be in scale with each other across all five crews - each figure would feature intricate detail and a substantial amount of character specific accessories. Similar to the Doctor Who boxed set, this huge set would feature the figures in a window box and come in a robust, stylish yet funky box, using the primary colours of Star Trek and featuring a bio on each character.

Obviously this would come at a price - there would only be a limited run of 727 (equal to the amount of episodes there have been in Star Trek) and the price would be steep $150+ but the thinking is that at least 727 fans would rather pay the money for complete crews than to never have complete crews at all.

So that would be my plan...

#5 Pauln6

Pauln6

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 04:45 AM

Decker & Ilia would be my choice for a 2-pack. Full crews on a bridge set would be a wet dream for many but I can't see it. A full set of the Motion Picture crew from the promo shot including Chapel and Rand in the background and I'd be in heaven...

#6 Pauln6

Pauln6

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 02:41 AM

The marketing machine is lumbering into action as the new wave and 2-packs have been featured on Trekmovie.com. I really hope the popularity of the new Kirk sculpt can give us an Enemy Within 2-pack. I need my Rand fix. Hmm Chekov and Chapel would be a convenient 2-pack to complete the other TOS 2-packs they gave us as well I suppose, although I think they were requestes by TRU so maybe not.

#7 Quadrotritacale

Quadrotritacale

The card is maxed out.

• Members
  • 254 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 09:50 AM

I've been watching "Star Trek" lately and was really admiring the production design on the Horta and the Guardian of Forever. I understand why many would think the Horta looks silly, but I think it looks really neat and even plausible as an alien creature. I almost wish we could have seen a modernized version in a later Star Trek series. They would make terrific toys.

I love the idea of a Quark's bar set too. It could be like classic playsets like TMNT's Technodrome and Batman's Batcave. It was such a fantastic set, it's a shame it wasn't kept intact and displayed in a museum. And yes, it MUST come with a figure of Morn! That guy had some of my favourite alien makeup in all of Star Trek and was endearing and beloved because of it.

#8 weyoun_9

weyoun_9

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 433 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 10:33 AM

I actually agree with the Horta and Guardian assessments. I love 24th Century Trek, but they seemed very anti non-humanoid life forms. I think they may have figured that if they didn't have the budget to do it well, they'd rather not do it at all...which I get...but I hope that when the next series finally makes its way onto the small screen they try to include more unique and exotic non-humanoids.

A Quark's Bar set would be AWESOME! Of course Morn would be there. Being bi-leveled, it would probably serve well as a display, too.

Other sets I'd love to see:
TNG Sickbay with either Doctor Pulaski or Labcoat Crusher...or maybe both (one could be an SDCC exclusive and the display panel could change)
Klingon Great Hall with K'Mpeck
V'Ger set with Ilia and Decker

I still think the Captain's Chair idea was really good...I think the marketing of it was just handled poorly. They could have cut Maltz and had Kruge in a Klingon Command Chair. Janeway/Chakotay could have come in a larger command center...so many possibilities.

#9 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2010 - 04:32 AM

A Captain's Box set would be good - new moulds/sculpts for each of the captains so that they are in scale with each other.

Captain Archer (Season 3/4)
Captain Kirk
Captain Picard (Season 7)
Captain Sisko (Season 7)
Captain Janeway

This could be released next year to celebrate Star Trek's 45th Anniversary. limited to a certain number of pieces, comes with certificate of authenticity signed by Ugene Roddenberry and Rick Berman, set includes unique Star Trek display stand, biography cards for each captain and character specific accessories.

Unlike many of DST's figures since TNG wave 3 - these figures would harken back to TNG wave 1 (Riker and Worf) in detail and quality. Each figure would feature uniquely sculpted bodies and multiple points of articulation (Imagine the BSG figures) so that we can pose them in exciting new poses.

This set would come packaged in a window box similar to that of the new Doctor Who doctors boxed set and come decorated with exciting imagery from Star Trek over 45 years. It would be imagery from conceptual work to final TV episode stills.

I think because of all the head-swaps and re-releases we've got in the past (which I'm OK with), we do deserve a bit more money spent on the action figures. So this box set would be something that was unique, never before seen and something to suggest that this would have been what you'd have gotten had we [DST] not opted for making cheaper action figures.

#10 weyoun_9

weyoun_9

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 433 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 12:13 PM

It's not a bad idea. If it were successful, I think a first officer set would be lovely as well as others down the line, if possible. Also, I would have Picard in Season 1 uniform and here's why...if they did add more follow up sets, there is too much TNG Season Seven out there...Season 1/2 would at least give collectors something new. Same with Sisko...I'd go Season 4:

First Officers: Doctors: Engineers:
T'Pol (blue or white jumpsuit) Phlox (no EV suit) Trip (Columbia?)
Spock Bones (short sleeves) Scott
Riker (Season 2) Crusher (S. 1 w/coat) LaForge (S. 1/2 variants)
Kira (Bajoran Uniform) Bashir (s. 4) O'Brien (s.4)
Chakotay EMH Torres

After that the groupings get sketchy...I keep thinking about how it would go (since I have a lot of time at work with not a lot to do). I think maybe something like this (in no particular order). Actually...I think these all make better Legacy Waves...but that's because I think they could do really well. Or maybe it's just that I would buy all of them. Either way smile.gif :

Travis Sato Reed Soval Forrest Daniels
Sulu Uhura Chekov Chapel Rand Pike (wheelchair)
Wesley (s.1) Troi (Bun) Worf (s. 1/2) Data (s.1) Guinan Yar
Worf (s. 4) Dax (s. 4) Odo Jake Quark Garak
Paris Seven of Nine Tuvok Kim Neelix Kes

#11 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2010 - 06:33 PM

Weyoon, that does sound like a great idea, I'd definitely buy it for one but I dunno if anyone else would. Captains sell well so I've heard, after that no character really sells well enough to justify it being made.

The idea of a legacy wave is a good one but I feel too much time has passed for anyone new to really get into DST's Star Trek line - I've always imagined their line being kinda like the franchise towards the Insurrection era until Enterprise's cancelation itself. Whilst the product they put out is solid (in most cases), it goes un noticed because it's been around for too long and hasn't really done much to be noticed by anyone but for a handful of people - I will never forget a conversation I had with colleague at work just before going to see Nemesis, his response and I quote 'Star Trek? wow is that thing still going?'

DST haven't really made the most out of their Star Trek license - to be fair, if I had had the license given to me during a time when Star Trek was unrecognisable and dead to everyone but a band of loyal few then I'd have probaby tucked my money back into my wallet and used the change on the desk to produce something...

I think what DST need to do now is tighten up their line, give it a focus, I think your idea of a legacy line is good enough to work, I see it as the Star Trek version of the Marvel Select line. Every month we get a new Star Trek action figure that includes more than just the figure and a few accessories but a large diorama base plate, a biography and Mint in box friendly packaging (small but beautifully designed rather than mass produced).

Merchandise based on the classic Star Trek's (TOS - ENT incl movies 1 - 10) will never garner the interest to suport the quantity or varients DST have been giving us so most definitely their focus should be on qualirty rather than quantity. Star Trek before the 2009 movie as Kurtzman and Orci put it is classical music. Classical music is an aquired taste which hardly appeals to a large audience. If a Select line isn't the way they go I hope that perhaps they will produce a small number of figures every so often similar to how NECA release figues. They can't just slap a head on a data body anymore, paint it a different colour and seal it within a plastic tray stuck to a piece of cardboard - they need to toil and work on 7 inch pieces of art, focusing on every detail of perhaps only 4 figures a year and placing them within a clear plastic tray wrapped within a beautifully collectable cardboard backing. sublime graphics, each figure posable in different ways, painted to perfection with real life-like qualities. If the price is higher so be it, produce the figures accordingly but something radical needs to happen for DST to see an improvment in sales before wish-list like these could perhaps come to fruition.

#12 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 06:54 PM

#13 Tiberius

Tiberius

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 06:15 PM

QUOTE (Gothneo @ Sep 9 2010, 06:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I thought that was a goat

#14 weyoun_9

weyoun_9

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 433 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 11:52 AM

I both agree and disagree...yes, re-hashing the flaws of AA/DST has been done, and done again, and rephrased, and paraphrased...and quite possibly translated into Klingon...I think it is something that people still feel the need to wrap their brain around because it can be hard to understand the differences in quality and consistency from wave to wave...maybe it's been said enough but maybe some folks still need to address it...

THAT said...THIS thread was not intended to be another thread about AA/DST's good and bad points. It was strictly meant as a place to make up stuff we'd like to see, how we'd like to see it. So, while I don't think that fantasizing or hypothesizing about what could be is necessary beating a dead horse, I would say that the riff on AA/DST is a horse for a different thread. This thread is supposed to be all about fun, creativity, wishful thinking...and in many of my personal cases...lack of a lot of better things to do in the office. smile.gif

So, if anyone still wants to play on this thread for that reason...at least you know I'll be checking it out and sharing your musings. And hey...if the thread isn't your ball of wax...that's cool...there are plenty of others to choose from.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users