Photo

McFarlane Toys Gets Entire Star Trek Licence!

• Please log in to reply
488 replies to this topic

#421 Loggy

Loggy

Action figure anonymous member

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 08:56 PM

I wasn't sure when, or if, we'd be seeing these in Australia, so I purchased them online from the UK and they arrived today. I may have heeded the warnings above regarding the paint had I waited to buy them but sounds like I got lucky, I don't have any complaints about the paint job. I'm quite pleased overall, I was genuinely surprised by how posable these are compared to other McFarlane figures of the same size. However, I do feel the scaling difference is a bit of a shame, really, it would've been nice to have complete uniformity across the line. Does anyone know why that choice was made?

#422 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 12:11 AM

Well its probably just a simple as 1:12th scale is pretty much a standard... to me the question is why did AA make the original line 7" and why did DST make their line 8"? I'm pretty sure that 8" is pretty standard for DSTs Marvel Select... no doubt they had to differentiate themselves from Toybiz and then Hasbro... but DST made lots of other stuff in 1:12th scale so I have no idea why they chose to go larger. 

#423 MisterPL

MisterPL

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 07:13 AM

Digger said Art Asylum went bigger to show off the detail in the sculpts. It was an odd choice since every other popular figure line at the time was either 6" or 4" but he want Trek to literally stand above the rest.  :rolleyes:

When they took over, DST meant to match the scale but their artists based their sculpts on production figures without accounting for material shrinkage.

Apparently few toy companies know how to use rulers.

#424 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 02:20 PM

I may break down and pick up Kirk if I see him in the wild. I'm more of a 6" scale guy but he might fit in with figures from other franchises.

These actually fit size wise with DST Stargate, and Battlestar figures. Also fit pretty well with the Neca Alien line.

#425 JMW326

JMW326

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 02:23 PM

I wasn't sure when, or if, we'd be seeing these in Australia, so I purchased them online from the UK and they arrived today. I may have heeded the warnings above regarding the paint had I waited to buy them but sounds like I got lucky, I don't have any complaints about the paint job. I'm quite pleased overall, I was genuinely surprised by how posable these are compared to other McFarlane figures of the same size. However, I do feel the scaling difference is a bit of a shame, really, it would've been nice to have complete uniformity across the line. Does anyone know why that choice was made?

Like I said earlier, it's not actually a scale problem. They just made Picard a little too tall. All the parts are interchangeable, head, hands and feet are all the same size for both figures (same scale).

#426 Sybeck1

Sybeck1

• Members
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 08:53 PM

They fit with McFarlane Stranger Things, NECA POTA etc. 1:10 scale. 18 cm equals 180 cm or 6 feet

Anybody swapped heads between Kirk and Picard? Don't have Picard yet

#427 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 28 September 2018 - 02:41 AM

When they took over, DST meant to match the scale but their artists based their sculpts on production figures without accounting for material shrinkage.

But if production figures were actually 7" scale... wouldn't shrinkage have made them closer to 6" scale?? So who did they end up larger not smaller due to shrinkage?

I must be missing something. 

#428 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 28 September 2018 - 07:42 AM

I recall Kirk and crew being so much shorter that AA/DST was accused of trying to attract 6" figure collectors. They corrected the problem so that TNG figures matched the scale of the Nemesis figures they'd done prior but TOS figures would still seem a tad small. The Borg line was close to 8", wasn't it? Those things were huge.

#429 Loggy

Loggy

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 29 September 2018 - 01:43 AM

They fit with McFarlane Stranger Things, NECA POTA etc. 1:10 scale. 18 cm equals 180 cm or 6 feet

Anybody swapped heads between Kirk and Picard? Don't have Picard yet

I was curious about their potential for headswaps, so I swapped their heads today. Kirk looks pretty snappy in the TNG uniform. Because of the thicker neck on the Kirk figure, Picard looks a little like a rugby player. If anyone is curious about the head/neck connectors, I've thrown in a picture with the heads off.

v2v0Orv.jpg

#430 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 29 September 2018 - 06:45 AM

At a quick glance an Older Wesley Crusher came to my mind with that head swap!

#431 Reign1701A

Reign1701A

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 29 September 2018 - 08:34 PM

Nice! Did you have to heat the figures before popping off the heads?

#432 Loggy

Loggy

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 30 September 2018 - 06:17 AM

Nice! Did you have to heat the figures before popping off the heads?

I did, yeah. A quick dip in boiling water and they came off very easily. The heads on these figures are made of a fairly soft plastic so headswaps are quite painless.

#433 JMW326

JMW326

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 30 September 2018 - 07:34 AM

When I get some time I'm going to have give some head swaps with BSG and Stargate a try.

#434 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 30 September 2018 - 12:53 PM

I recently got rid of most of my Stargate figures. I was surprised that I was able to pretty much get what I originally paid for them... even though they were all loose... though they were all in great shape and had all the original accessories. It tells me there really is a fan base for Star Gate (understandably!!) and that base does have a demand for product. At the rate DST release product, I think they would find a market... even if they were to rerelease prior issued figures... but I doubt they will go that route. 

I kept my BSG figures though... I just love the BSG flight suite design and decided to keep them. 

#435 Sybeck1

Sybeck1

• Members
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 07:41 PM

https://youtu.be/Kt1CZZ_YOH0

Kirk review on the Spot

#436 JMW326

JMW326

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 05:40 AM

Decent review, I disagree with a lot of his "criticism and I didn't care for that reviewer at all. Seems like he has a passing knowledge of Star Trek but not that much.

#437 Damon1984

Damon1984

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 10:53 AM

Finally saw them in a store today. One Kirk, one Picard. Kirk's face printing was all over the place. Really badly done. Picard's wasn't perfect either, but I could live with it, so I took him home. I agree that he looks better in person, and he's certainly recognizable as Picard. But he looks nothing like Patrick Steward. Not sure what went wrong there, but I expected more from the likeness. The prototype looked good enough. The rest of the figure is all right. The flute is a bit frustrating, considering that he can't hold it in a "play" pose. A cup of tea would have made more sense. The articulation is... okay, I guess? Maybe I'm spoiled by Marvel Legends and Star Wars Black Series, but considering how visible some of the joints are I see no reason why we couldnt get double jointed knees or even ellbows. Yadda-yadda, breaking up the sculpt. The guy has two... ass holes, that's also breaking up the sculpt :D XD

The fact that the feet are pretty stiff isn't great either. Then again, he doesn't have much problems standing, so there's that.

Considering how wonky the face printing is, I wouldn't order them online, and the shop owner seemed a bit pissed at me for not buying Kirk (he knew I'm a trekkie, and he bought them for me), so I don't expect to see them in person anytime soon either. Guess I'm not going to collect these. :/

#438 dchimpy

dchimpy

Toys before the light bill.

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 11:36 AM

So was there any news coming out of NYCC18 regarding the next wave with Spock and Burnham? I really like these figures  and I'd at least like a Spock to got with Kirk.

#439 Damon1984

Damon1984

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 12:44 PM

No, but as far as I know, there's another panel sheduled for today. No Idea when exactly, though.

#440 Damon1984

Damon1984

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 02:16 PM

To give a little update; there was another panel, but no word on Star Trek. No prototypes, no release date, nothing :/

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users