• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 03:22 AM

Yep, Christopher Nolan's Brother, and partner who co-wrote a number of movies with Christopher apparently is working on an adaptation of Asimov's Foundation for HBO.

I've always wanted to see Foundation brought to the screen... but I, like many others really fear that it won't translate to movies well. 

On the plus side, I think doing it as a TV series may allow for more dialog and drama then movie goers prefer. 

Dune is a good example of that. I thought the movie was a disaster, but the mini series is pretty good.

#2 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 10:29 PM

I've never read Foundation, but from the discussion online, I expect a lot of departure from the books.

The concept could make for an interesting jumping off point for a series focusing on secondary characters, who may be able to do something more interesting than the primaries. Asimov himself was supposedly appalled at the lack of action or plot progression, when he re-read the first books decades later.

On the whole, between this and Red/Green/Blue Mars coming to TV, and Interstellar and Gravity performing well at the cinemas, this is an exciting time to be a fan of harder science fiction.

#3 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 05:17 PM

I loved the original trilogy. I always saw the galactic empire as a metaphor for imperial England, the foundation as a metaphor for something like the united states, etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users