• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Prometheus

Prometheus

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:23 PM

Well its being reported that Ben Affleck has been chosen as the new Batman for the Superman Batman movie..... Im not sure how I feel about this choice.... Something reminds me of when George Clooney played Batman.... not a good thing...

#2 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2013 - 04:19 AM

I think had this news come 15 years ago I'd have felt worried but the more I think about it now, whilst it isn't exactly an inspired piece of casting, the more I'm liking this choice. Affleck has matured into a really fine actor and director and I'm looking forward to an older, grumpier, been around the block a few times, Batman and more to the point I'm interested to see how Affleck plays that.

I don't see the resemblance to Clooney's camp-fest Batman. Clooney just wasn't dirty enough, I think that had more to do with the movie than the acting but there wasn't that grit and angst I think Affleck will play. Certainly I'd be very surprised if they put nipples on the Bat suit.

I know a lot of people on the net are going to be bringing up Daredevil but whilst a lot of that film had problems, Affleck was not one of those problems.

#3 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 08:20 AM

Afleck is a good actor and a great director and a fan of the franchise. I think he will do fine. I also think people give him a bum rap when it comes to stuff.

#4 Prometheus

Prometheus

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 11:35 AM

You guys are probably right.... I think I was just most worried about nipples on the bat suit lol...

#5 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 11:50 AM

I loved the new Superman movie and rank it as the best movie of the summer for me just slightly above Star Trek. I loved what Zack Snyder did with it and have faith that he will be able to bring Batman into this new world that he created. After all, if the script and director suck then there isn't much even the best of actors can do to save a movie. Which was proven with Batman and Robin. Clooney did as good as he could with what he was given to work with but that wasnt much. That movie was the poster child for what not to do.  Daredevil wasnt the best superhero move ever but it certainly wasn't the worst either. There were a lot of creative choices that helped sink that one. Afleck has proven to me he can pull it off. I think he will be a great Bruce Wayne and am very interested to see what his Batman will be like. Hopefully no gravel voice LOL.

I think the more disturbing news about the next movie is that they are letting Frank Miller consult. To me that man needs to stay as far away from these movies as possible. He may have been great at one time but has lost his mind over the last few years and shown that he no longer has any respect for the franchise. I am hoping he has minimal involvement.

#6 Prometheus

Prometheus

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 11:58 AM

I totally agree JMW about Frank Miller....keep him away !!!

#7 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 12:14 PM

Something reminds me of when George Clooney played Batman.... not a good thing...

That was my first thought as well.  Affleck is one of the most boring screen presences I can think of.  He is about as interesting as a rock, and not a geode, a plain old rock from the garden or driveway.  I don't think this will end well.

#8 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 23 August 2013 - 05:25 PM

Im actually a fan of Daredevil and in a time of run of the mill superhero movies, it portrayed something a little more gritty and adult.  Affleck is a great choice for Bruce Wayne and Batman.  Im hoping that this is finally the big screen Batman I want to see.

#9 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 09:49 PM

i thought Daredevil was an okay movie, Affleck did a decent job in it i thought. I think he will be a fine Batman. Christian Bales Batman was done and it would have been hard to come back from where the movie ended, so i think this will be fine.

#10 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 10:01 PM

I remember hearing that the guy from A Knights Tale was going to play the joker and I thought,'Who was bat shit crazy enough to hire him for that?" Aaaaaannnnnnnddd then I saw him do it........

#11 Jedigreedo

Jedigreedo

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 11:00 PM

That is true, tons and tons of people doubted Ledger.  There is an important difference though, given there's a precedence of Affleck being a dark and brooding superhero.  I liked DareDevil, but it hasn't aged well.  Although, in fairness, it's mostly the overall production that suffers and it's hard to tell where the actor has failed or the director has failed the actor in a case like that.  BUT, I will say that Affleck did have some good moments in the movie - I'm just not sure he can pull off Batman.  DareDevil and Batman, although very similar, still have stark differences since there's also Bruce Wayne.  Matt Murdock isn't nearly as important as Bruce Wayne, at least as far as Matt's movie version goes where he's a small time lawyer.

So, the question is can Affleck play both Batman AND Bruce Wayne?  I think Bruce is the bigger challenge of the two since he typically sticks to characters that are soft-spoken underdogs, at least outside of Kevin Smith movies. But even if he manages to nail either character, the biggest challenge is pulling off both at once.  The only one so far that has handled both with equal worthwhile performances has been Michael Keaton.  Kilmer was a good Batman; Clooney was an alright Bruce; and Bale was a great Bruce with an alright Batman.  Mostly the choking-on-gravel voice kills that.  I think the biggest problem I have with the idea of him as Bruce Wayne is that even when playing a douche and trying to be smug, Affleck still has some sort of humble air about him.  I'm not sure what it is.  My first feeling is that that will kill any attempts to be foppish Bruce, but who knows, maybe the subtle lingering humbleness will add to the character. 

Overall my opinion on the matter is I'm surprised and a bit disappointed with Affleck's casting, but ultimately I'm not all that concerned about it since Man of Steel was a massive disappointment and I've abandoned hope for any Snyder-helmed movies, especially as it sounds like the sequel is going off in even more wrong directions (regardless of who is playing Batman).  The greatest disappointment at this point will be if Affleck does really well at the role but the movie fails terribly, in which case he'd be tossed aside by the studio from ever playing Batman again.  Just like Brandon Routh was a great Superman in a bad movie, and was tossed aside.  I'm just curious at this point.

#12 Qcjoe

Qcjoe

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 674 posts
  • Interests:scifi,comics,actionfigures,baseball,football

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:05 PM

I remember hearing that the guy from A Knights Tale was going to play the joker and I thought,'Who was bat shit crazy enough to hire him for that?" Aaaaaannnnnnnddd then I saw him do it........

The best think about this is all the nerds going bat shit about it.  The interwebs melted down.  Hell even a lot of losers sent a petition to the White House?  Wow we need Shatner to do a  "Get a life" skit on SNL again dont we.

#13 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:15 PM

I think Affleck has a great chance of surprising a lot of people but I can't help but feel we won't be saying that he's nearly as good as Ledger's Joker, IMO the reason being is that Ledger was still compared to Affleck, someone who had a lot to show an audience in regards to his acting capabilities, I think a lot of people would say that Affleck is beyond that point now and that there's nothing he could do that would add to his range. He might be able to do it well but it may still be Ben Affleck and not Batman on the screen.

But I really think we'll have to wait and see what he's going to be like.

#14 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:33 PM

Hmm, well if DC/Warner Bros or who ever is doing the Superman /Batman movies followed the Marvel formula, they would give Affleck his own Batman Movie before they meet up in a single movie. It would be great to get Affleck established as Batman first, before sticking him in another movie where so much is going on there may not be time to establish his Batman character. I think the studio is seeing dollar signs in their eyes when they need to think out a strategy to compete with marvel. I am thinking 2015 is too early for Superman/Batman, i think they need another Superman movie, a Batman movie, then a Wonder Woman and Aquaman movie before they all come together like Avengers. It worked for Marvel, and Marvel has invested several years and movies before reaping the Avengers prize. If DC tries to go for the gold too early, they may end up disappointed.

Man of Steel was an okay movie, i have a list of things i didnt like about it, but Superman is now known, but it would be nice to see another solo Superman movie to flesh him out more before he has to deal with Batman.

#15 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 05:46 PM

From IMDB...

"The Man of Steel faces off against the Dark Knight."

As with most movies, its going to come down to a smart plot and good direction. I never thought Christian Bail was a great actor, and After the campy runs Batman movies were on, I actually skipped "Batman Returns" when it hit the theaters. I didn't see it for several years actually, and the DVD was on sale for about $5 at target, so I picked it up because I kept reading how good it was. And it really is a good movie. TDK of course blew it away, and while I didn't think as much of TDKR, it closed out an able trilogy of Batman movies.

I would assume they are, effectively rebooting the franchise to have another run at it. They've done the "Origin" story twice now, so I guess the question is do they do another one, or just jump into it?

Superman V. Batman implies they are going to jump right into it. Maybe that'll be a mistake... but...

Affleck will do fine I think with a good plot, and the good news is that D. Goyer, who wrote, the last three batman and the MOS script is on this one.

I still think Nolan is a better director than Synder, who, for  me, is a hit or miss.

I love comic genre movies, but the truth is that most of them aren't very good. Daredevil isn't a good movie, but its not at the bottom of the heap either... that honor I save for Elektra, which is truly unwatchable! Batman Begins, and TDK, are at the top of that heap just below Iron Man. I know its arguable, and people have their favs, but I put Iron Man as the best ever in the genre.

#16 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 10:27 PM

I have to agree about IronMan being the best. The Avengers,Batman Begins,Batman 1989,Superman II round out my favorite top 5. Although almost everyone says The Dark Knight Returns was so good, i wasnt that impressed with it or Heath Ledgers Joker. Man of Steel had good effects but i think i liked Superman Returns better.

#17 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 11:08 PM

My how quickly we forget the true best comic film of all time, Spider-man 2!  The shame!

#18 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 03:03 AM

SM-2 was good! it was def at the top of the heap at one point, but efforts like TDK and IM-1 have since bested it. Its probably in my top 5. its certainly the best spiderman movie thus far. I don't care for Andrew Garfield, I thought his spiderman was fairly flat and one dimensional. Emma Stones take on Gwen Stacy however, was great, and was the saving grace of ASM for me. 

Also... I gotta add I remember when they announced Keaton as the first Batman. He was known for "Mr. Mom" and "Beetle Juice" so as more a comedic actor no one thought he was right either, and those were pretty well received.

#19 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2013 - 05:57 AM

I think Super-Hero movies in general are average movies, weak plots but I think they are driven forward by the popularity of the super-hero or heroes in them, I mean was Avengers Assemble really that good a movie that it earned it's box office? No friggin way, I'd place Star Trek: First Contact way above Avengers Assemble in terms of story and put Star Trek and Star Trek Into Darkness on par with it so it's definitely seeing your favourite super heroes on the big screen. My list out of the ones I've seen would be from best to least best:

Thor

Batman Begins

Iron Man

The Dark Knight

Avengers Assemble

Captain America: The First Avenger

Iron Man 3

Man of Steel

Superman Returns

The Amazing Spider-Man

The Dark Knight Rises

Iron Man 2

Spider-Man 1

Spider-Man 2

Batman

Batman Returns

Batman Forever

Spider-Man 3

Batman & Robin

I also think starting off with Batman as a battle-weary, been there done that kind of super hero is far more compelling than telling an origin story told incredibly well through Christopher Nolan. I don't think there's any need to tell it again, regardless of it being a new actor playing the role. We've also got a great director in Ben Affleck who I'm sure will work well with Snyder.

#20 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 03:03 PM

Huh. Thor as #1. Maybe you really are a 20 year old girl :huh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users