Photo

Resizing Heads to the AA/DST Scale

• Please log in to reply
135 replies to this topic

Poll: Resizing Heads to the AA/DST Scale (15 member(s) have cast votes)

Are you interested in purchasing customs heads at the prices and conditions listed below?

1. Yes (15 votes [100.00%])

Percentage of vote: 100.00%

2. No (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 data_2006

data_2006

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:33 PM

Any progress on these? biggrin.gif

#42 Fat Valentino

Fat Valentino

Newforce is my home page.

• Members
  • 179 posts
  • Interests:Custom Ships and Playsets

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:40 PM

Much! I'm at work now, but am working on an update w/pics for tonight or tomorrow...

#43 Tiberius

Tiberius

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:20 PM

QUOTE (Fat Valentino @ Apr 12 2012, 12:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Much! I'm at work now, but am working on an update w/pics for tonight or tomorrow...

Sure, I see you posted so I thought there were pics

#44 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 05:19 PM

Fat Valentino,

I wonder if we can get a bit of info and an update. Looking back at previous posts, they imply that we are around and about the last estimate that you gave on the project to start bearing some fruit and shipping and you've had to adjust the date a couple times now, so I'm wondering how its going.

Keep in mind, I'd rather hear, a realistic info, even if it means that your further behind then expected, then "it'll be a week or so", only to hear the same thing again in a another couple weeks.

The reason I'm asking is we've seen several updates saying, things are coming along, picts soon, but so far all we've seen are the picts of Janeway, which is nice, and exciting for those waiting for VOY heads, but Janeway wasn't included in the original sets offered and so we've yet to see anything for the project underway.

Basically, we're almost at the 2 month point that myself, Tiberius and others anted up.

I'm assuming since we haven't seen any other picts, that the project is pretty far behind, so I guess I'm wondering if we'll see anything before the beginning of May, or if you think it'll go into June before its done?

Please understand that if you say its going to take another month or two, I'm fine with that, but if that turns out to be the case, I'd like to get a good idea of some of the problems that came up that caused such a big delay!

Thanks!

QUOTE (Fat Valentino @ Mar 21 2012, 04:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
To be safe, I will say that the completion date will probably be pushed back until the week of April 7th (from the previous estimate of March 31)...

QUOTE (Fat Valentino @ Mar 29 2012, 05:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi guys, sorry for being late on the promised updates. I have to leave for work in a few minutes, but here's the quickest of teaser photos. Things are moving along well, but I do have to move the target completion date on these guys, as it will definitely be another week or so before I can ship the first round of heads.

#45 Fat Valentino

Fat Valentino

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:30 PM

Hi Gothneo, I was actually planning on addressing some of your concerns with today's post. Thank you for your grace and candor in introducing the topic. You're absolutely right that there have been delays, but please know that delays don't always indicate dire problems! I just need to learn to start multiplying my estimates by a factor of four, like Scotty.

There are several factors in why I'm about a month behind where I wanted to be on this resizing project, and I think the biggest factor is this: When we first started the project, I wasn't working a straight job, and now I'm working again, and more than full time after a significant time away. I've been adjusting to a very different schedule. That's not intended as an excuse, just an explanation.

But, you're absolutely right, the pre-order was promised at the end of March, I bumped it back a week, and it's now over a week later still. I apologize for the delay, and appreciate your collective patience very much. It's probably also important to know that I've been making changes as I went, based on the results of some tests. Upgrading from the scaled-up Playmates 4.5" Koloth to the Sideshow Bust is one such change. Re-doing the Bio-Belt/Insignia on AA/DST scale Ilia/TMP female body is another.

Updates will be coming fast from here on. I like to photograph semi-complete figures, so you'll see pics like Janeway, Tuvok, and Klaa whenever possible, but I'll include some WIP heads too from now on, so that I can share exactly where the project is in real-time.

As always, you're all free to email me directly at Rob (no space) Rostad (at) hotmail.com if you like, and I'll address individual concerns and requests, including second thoughts if anyone's having 'em. rolleyes.gif

So!

Remember the post from awhile back, in which I recommended the early 2000's TMNT figures as a source for three-fingered hands for AA/DST scale Tellarites, Anticians, and The Traveler? After you pop the hands off, the arms are pretty useful too, for use in making a custom Captain Klaa figure. The Klingon gauntlet pops in really easily, and the bare arms keep their full articulation if you shave down the TMNT pegs, and use a medium-wide screw to attach the arm to the AA/DST Klingon body.

The re-sized Chapel looks great, and I'd show her off on a TOS female body if I had one. I'm working on a Season 1 DS9 Kira body too, similar to the Ilia in that AA/DST arms and Legs can be added to make a complete figure. It looks like Iron-Cow's back at it with his DS9 set, and so maybe I can offer you all a bonus Kira for your faith and patience if he doesn't.

#46 Fat Valentino

Fat Valentino

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:06 AM

Here's Tuvok and Janeway in their "Flashback" uniforms, and post "Voyager" USS Titan Tuvok.

#47 data_2006

data_2006

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:44 AM

Good to see some progress and looking forward to more pictures (and yes the Kira looks great)

#48 WORF22

WORF22

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:27 PM

nice work fat..

#49 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 06:06 PM

Thank You For the update! Its perfectly understandable that things come up, and I really appreciate the info! Like I said, not having second thoughts, Just like to have a a good idea of the expectations, and wanted to keep communications open, as that is the key to making sure no one feels like the project is in limbo! Now that we know you've got some addition load/responsibilities we can adjust our expectations!

On to the good stuff... Wow, that Chapel does look good, and you really have me excited to get in in my hands! thank you! Also Klaa is looking good!

Finally, thanks for the update with regards to Koloth, you actually have me really really excited about that as I betting the detail will really pop!

I have to admit I was a bit concerned that maybe you didn't get enough of us to pitch in, and supplies were running tight. I know 8 people replied to the poll, but it seemed like it was a bit touch and go to get the project going so thats another reason I was asking!

Again, I always appreciate the updates, even if its just to check in and let us know that things got busy at your new job, which by the way, congratulations on!

Cheers!

#50 Iron-Cow

Iron-Cow

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 06:22 AM

THOSE ARE LOOKING AMAZING! Great work on the Voyager stuff especially. I almost shrank down a Janeaway myself, but figured I should focus on DS9 first and see if I could even finish that.

Seeing your progress pics has gotten me all inspired again. Really love how yours are shaping up!

Matt
aka Iron-Cow

#51 Fat Valentino

Fat Valentino

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:22 AM

QUOTE (Iron-Cow @ Apr 22 2012, 07:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
THOSE ARE LOOKING AMAZING! Great work on the Voyager stuff especially. I almost shrank down a Janeaway myself, but figured I should focus on DS9 first and see if I could even finish that.

Seeing your progress pics has gotten me all inspired again. Really love how yours are shaping up!

Matt
aka Iron-Cow

Thanks Matt, that means a lot coming from you. Your TDKR customs, animated stuff, and "Angst" line was a big inspiration 10+ years ago. In fact, after really digging your "Parachute Batman" I bought the whole Batman: Knight Force Ninjas line on closeout in the hope of making a complete Justice League in the style. Alas it was never to be... But a more or less complete Star Trek collection is coming along fine...

BTW if you want to offer an AA/DST scale Kira with your future DS9 set you're welcome to the mold. Least I can do!

Rob aka Fat Valentino biggrin.gif

#52 Fat Valentino

Fat Valentino

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 03:13 AM

Here's the Mugatu in the AA/DST scale. I used and highly recommend the 2008 Incredible Hulk Abomination figure as a base, with a resized Playmates head and of course I plan to add some fur. Best part is, the pronounced spine is already present on this donor body.No tail, but that's an easy fix...

Also, there's a goofball McDonalds Monster's Inc. Sully figure floating around that has the fur, back spine, and tail. It's just a little fat and cartoony, but the basic anatomy is 100% that of the Mugatu. And it's found at every thrift store in the world right now...

#53 Commodore Kor'Tar

Commodore Kor'Tar

The Great Tribble Hunter

• Members
  • 2,415 posts
  • Interests:Playmates figures and ships (90s era), Art Asylum and DST figures and ships , Galoob figures and micro machines .

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:09 AM

Very nice!

#54 Fat Valentino

Fat Valentino

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 11:30 AM

I've started the process of finalizing and re-sculpting all the many, many Playmates scale heads that I resized for this project. Before I make final production molds, I've added details, added AA/DST style necks, and filled any bubbles with putty. I'll try to post four or five finished examples every couple days. And since I did a whole bunch of characters from TNG, DS9, and classic Trek all at the same time, you'll see characters from sets other than the TOS and TOS movies pop up in random combinations, as they're ready.

A note on the necks: I'll remind everyone that these heads are not going to be cast in soft rubber or engineered to accept the same dual sided ball-pins as the factory made figures...Whenever possible I'll make AA/DST style necks, but in some cases, especially with the Klingons, larger characters and female characters it's just going to be too difficult. In those cases expect a smooth sanded flat neck. Resin is easily drilled and carved, so you shouldn't have any trouble customizing these however you're comfortable. I've found that the best way to keep full range of motion is to use a round-headed screw, slightly larger than the hole in the AA/DST bodies. You drill the screw into the head until it pops out about a quarter of an inch then you can can soften the bodies and pop the screw in the same way you would one of the dual sided ball-pins. It's not difficult, just a little time intensive.

Here we have the Benzite, a Saurian Alien, one of the Caitian Ambassadors from ST IV: The Voyage Home, and the Traveler.

#55 Fat Valentino

Fat Valentino

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 01:55 PM

Here's a pic of the Resized Sideshow Koloth bust to show progress and scale. I'll have to cast it again to reach the desired AA/DST scale, but the detail is really looking good. One positive thing about making a mold at the present size? Koloth Mego/Retro Cloth heads for everyone!

#56 Iron-Cow

Iron-Cow

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 04:51 PM

Looking amaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazing!

I really REALLY can't get sucked into customizing Classic Trek, but seeing the Benzite with the Nemesis uniform is winning me over. Ditto the Caitian Ambassadors. And... grrr... the Saurian is pretty amazing.

Cannot wait to see these painted. Very inspiring. VERY tempting!

#57 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 10:43 PM

Awesome work on koloth fv! And thanks for the heads up on the necks. I don't see it being a problem as I can always sculpt additional neck using apoxie sculpt.

And thank you very much for the updates! They are very welcome, and exciting!

#58 Fat Valentino

Fat Valentino

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 12:46 AM

QUOTE (Gothneo @ Apr 29 2012, 10:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Awesome work on koloth fv! And thanks for the heads up on the necks. I don't see it being a problem as I can always sculpt additional neck using apoxie sculpt.

And thank you very much for the updates! They are very welcome, and exciting!

I was working on Kruge tonight...Honestly, right now I'm really wishing I had a female TOS figure to properly show off Rand and Chapel. Or even a pair of shapely action figure legs to show off the resized female TMP tunic...These are looking really nice, and it's been a lot of fun to get to know the AA/DST scale, and to get better with resizing across different toy lines.

Since I'm very close to being finished with the first two sets, I can't imagine it would be in poor taste to show another project I'm working on. Here's the other figure resizing project I've been doing along with the AA/DST sets: I don't know if there are any LOSTies among us...

I'm working with Scott Adams from Mego Museum to resize four of the Bobbleheads from Bif Bang Pow down to the Mego/Retro Cloth scale. Same principals involved, but like Sideshow Koloth, very time intensive due to the larger size of the original sculpts.

Just imagine the possibilities for the TNG retro-cloth line! If DST chooses not to move forward beyond Picard and Borg, there's no reason in the world why additional characters can't be made...is anyone good with a sewing machine?

Here are the three new LOST Megos, less Desmond, who's head is still shrinking...

With the smart money suggesting that Benedict Cumberbach might be playing not Khan, but Joaquin, I thought it might be fun to make a couple "expanded universe" JJ Abrams-verse figures. Maybe a Khan figure with Nestor Carbonell, and an Admiral Norouga from ST: TMP using Pierre Chang?

#59 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:26 AM

One suggestion I have for the board for the placing of heads is to use the current ball joint in the neck of the trek figure. What i do is sand down one side of the ball peg, drill a small hole in the custom head and then gorilla glue the sanded down side into it. You can then use the bottom ball the same way as normal and might only half to sand down the neckline. You lose the double way motion of the double ball joint but retain at least some articulation. Great job on everything so far...cant wait to get these!!

#60 Tiberius

Tiberius

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 01:56 PM

QUOTE (TheHSBR @ Apr 30 2012, 06:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
One suggestion I have for the board for the placing of heads is to use the current ball joint in the neck of the trek figure. What i do is sand down one side of the ball peg, drill a small hole in the custom head and then gorilla glue the sanded down side into it. You can then use the bottom ball the same way as normal and might only half to sand down the neckline. You lose the double way motion of the double ball joint but retain at least some articulation. Great job on everything so far...cant wait to get these!!

My method has been to dremmel a hole in the neck, the size of the ball. It stays on and can pose, but if it falls down its, off with its head!
I discovered a local group that uses a MakerBot. I want them to maker a personal headsculpt, yes me on an action figure. They have rules, so I can't go and get scanned, I need to help, and I need to join @$50/mo. I was thinking that I could do something easier to start, like a set of hands

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users