Trek Minimates are on their way!!

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#21 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,101 posts
  • Interests:Collecting Art Asylum 7" Star trek action figures.

Star trek & writing fan fiction.

Posted 13 January 2007 - 09:49 AM

Opinions are sharply devided on these. A lot of people regard them as childish, but those who do collect them are passionate about their habit! tongue.gif

I have about three of these. One is a YSK 3" mate, but the coolest thing about him was the plastic all-round transparent tube he came in. I wish the 7" action figures came in these instead of being carded.

And, yeah, my sister bought him for me...as a joke!

#22 Captain Kidd

Captain Kidd

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 394 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 11:32 AM

They look cute. But I think I will hold true to my previous comment. I will pass on these.

I actually got a couple of the marvel one (the first releases) and had picked up the 3" Trek ones. (Kirk Spock McCoy and the Gorn) but after the trek minimates got caned I lost interest and started collecting other figures to fill the void between Trek releases as they were few and far between.

Now if these has been in the 3" scale as the past release I would have through twice as I could have continued the line I had started.

#23 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 12:47 PM

I feel the same way they should stick with the size that they stared with.

#24 AdyCarter

AdyCarter

Toys before the light bill.

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 01:34 PM

For cross compatibility and ease of customising/manufacture though it makes perfect sense for them to be 2", 3" has been dead for years and DST has never released ANY 3" Minimates.

Personally I hated 3" as they were never particularly mini

#25 Hirogen

Hirogen

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 01:47 PM

I think I will wait and see if they do DS9 and Voyager before starting mates again.

#26 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 02:24 PM

QUOTE(AdyCarter @ Jan 13 2007, 07:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For cross compatibility and ease of customising/manufacture though it makes perfect sense for them to be 2", 3" has been dead for years and DST has never released ANY 3" Minimates.

Personally I hated 3" as they were never particularly mini

I don't have to tell you though that the Trek Crowd is not the same as the minimate crowd. On the average, we are talking a group that played with 12" G.I. Joe (in the 70's) when they were kids. The 2" just look silly to me. I bought a Spiderman from ebay once just to see one and I was so disappointed that it was small enough to loose in the couch in 20 seconds that I never bought anymore. I have all of the Trek stuff so far and I doubt that I will hold fast to not buying these. Still, collectors have yelled for years about how Playmates, and some others, have changed sizes at will making the older, or newer, stuff look wrong grouped together. I don't open the packages so this has no effect on me, but those that do, well guess you are just going to have some of those MONSTER 3" in the background in your photos.

#27 pickard

pickard

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 02:47 PM

QUOTE(FHC @ Jan 13 2007, 03:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't have to tell you though that the Trek Crowd is not the same as the Minimate crowd.

There's obviously some crossover between the two.

Still, collectors have yelled for years about how Playmates, and some others, have changed sizes at will making the older, or newer, stuff look wrong grouped together.

I don't think this is the same. The 3" line really never got off the ground. Playmates switching sizes after 100 figures isn't comparable, IMO.

I've got a few of the 3" figures, Trek, Bruce Lee, & CTHD. But I'm looking forward to adding these 2" 'Mates to my DC, Marvel, Street Fighter, misc., and Galactica 'Mates. (Today, I got the Cylon Centurion from the original BSG. It's awesome.)

#28 Artistix

Artistix

Trek Toy.com Member of the Month Feb 2010

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 04:31 PM

Seperating the men from the boys! roflmao.gif

All I can say about that is....if you collect toys, you collect toys. Don't forget that.

#29 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 05:29 PM

Ok OK I'll buy the 2" but I may not like it. tongue.gif

#30 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 09:53 PM

I dont look at it as separating the men from the boys, i just think its whether your into Minimates or not. I have not bought any other minimates other than the 3" Star Trek TOS ones, but i might buy a set of Batman or Superman minimates if i happen to come across them at a store some time and i liked them. I dont happen to care that much about role playing toys like Phasers and such, but i have a couple of them here and there, and i certainly wouldnt put anyone down for liking them. I would rather have 7" figures of the different TOS movies and even TOS episode specific figures instead of minimates, but i dont mind the minimates and i will support the line.

#31 UFP-1701

UFP-1701

Once upon a time...

• Members
  • 665 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 10:07 PM

The Comment I made was not meant to target anyone, all I was saying is there will be those buying these just to add to the collection and then there will be those who buy them because they like them.

I have the entire line of AA waves 1-3 including the Exclusives.

Me, I do not consider them "Action Figures" so if they were TOS (Which is the only Genre I collect) I still would not purchase them due to the design and size.

#32 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 10:50 PM

These trek Mini's really look cool... but likeVF says it's a matter of if your into them and I'm not. I picked up a couple mini's a few years ago and decided they weren't my bag, but dang they look great!

#33 The_Donster

The_Donster

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,198 posts
  • Interests:OMG!! Clearly my hobby is getting away from me at the moment if anyone remembers the pics of my collection on the old AA forum. While mine isn't as focused as Mark's, it's start to rival his, lol. Long answer short, too many to narrow down.

Posted 17 January 2007 - 12:52 AM

QUOTE(pickard @ Jan 12 2007, 06:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I hope they're 2" so they fit in with all my Marvel and DC 'Mates.

Yeah, going to go with Dan on this one, I'm kind of glad that these will be in the 2" scale and will fit in with my Marvel and DC Minimates(C3) biggrin.gif While I can understand why DST wants DCD to stick to the 2" scale, I'm glad their taking a chance and making Mates in various scales for their various heroes and villains. But I'm definately looking forward to seeing more actual prototypes of the Trek Mates after Toy Fair wink.gif Now something some of us have to keep in mind, not everyone is singular in their collecting, I'm personally all over the place when it comes to my collection laugh.gif I was going through my collection recently and discovered that it was Star Wars, Batman and Marvel Legends dominating my collection, not Star Trek tongue.gif

#34 Artistix

Artistix

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 03:26 PM

See...my problem is, that any small articulated figurines of a certain red headed doctor, must be mine.

Then I must have everyone else so she is not lonely on the shelf.

Action figures, Minimates....both awesome to me. And the Minimates are soo cute laugh.gif

If I had to choose one it would be the proper action figures...all the way. But I sure don't mind a bit of variety.

Still have my fingers crossed Sideshow will start on some nice 12" figures (Not Premiums...grrrr).

Just look at the little guys!

#35 The_Donster

The_Donster

• Members
  • 2,198 posts
  • Interests:OMG!! Clearly my hobby is getting away from me at the moment if anyone remembers the pics of my collection on the old AA forum. While mine isn't as focused as Mark's, it's start to rival his, lol. Long answer short, too many to narrow down.

Posted 19 January 2007 - 10:24 PM

Something you have to understand Artistix, DST needs to take some baby steps when it comes to Trek Minimates. From what I can see, TOS seems to be selling better than TNG. So while the Marvel Minimates are selling well, who knows how well the Trek Minimates will sell. What I'm wondering is if these will be summer exclusives or sold through the specialty/comic shops like the Marvel counterparts? While I know some of the folks that picked up the 3" one's back in the day are a little disappointed, think of the quick customs you can make if you pick up some of the Marvel mates? Definately easier to make a red shirt than the boil and pop method of the figure sets wink.gif

#36 Artistix

Artistix

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 02:17 AM

I'll keep my fingers crossed for the little guys.

#37 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 07:31 PM

Hello Everyone. I just wanted to let you all know that I got my Star Trek minimates today. These guys are great. Now I cant wait for series 2. A word of caution though. Be carefull moving the joints at first because some of the paint keeps them stuck together.

#38 The_Donster

The_Donster

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 08:49 PM

With Rick's recent e-mail and my LCBG still not receiving Series 1, I'm starting to get a little nervous on this and wonder if I'm going to be able to pick these up anywhere but online. Apparently these sold very well and DST oversold them? Put up some picks when you get a chance JMW326 wink.gif

#39 Sgt. Stinky

Sgt. Stinky

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 347 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek, Indiana Jones, Friends and especially Family

Posted 24 October 2007 - 11:50 AM

Anyone see the little blurb in the top left corner of E-Spectrum 54 ? Star Trek wave 4 minimates is to be 24th Century based. biggrin.gif Who though is the question ? All TNG or a mix of 24th century ?

#40 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
  • Interests:Stately playboy by day ... profitable pimp by night. I like to watch movies, listen to music, go out ... friends ... food ... all the essentials of life.

Posted 24 October 2007 - 03:41 PM

Who cares my friend, its something other than TOS and it rocks. If they give me the afore advertised Guinan minimate though without giving me a figure ... I might have to riot within my enthralled heart!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users