60 replies to this topic

#21 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 11:22 AM

QUOTE(Stormfury_Echo @ Mar 20 2007, 11:12 AM) View Post
I was pleasantly surprised when I found out that they used an AA TOS Phaser in "In a Mirror, Darkly", ENT. That phaser that Archer carried around the entire second half of the two parter was a simple AA Phaser, right out of the box. I don't even think that they puttied the seams or anything. Simply amazing.

And why not AA bought a HMS Phaser from http://www.roddenberry.com and used it for the mold. They bought just like you or I would right from the store. They didn't even give HMS credit until the gold handle release, but if you look on the back of the gold handle release, you will see they finally give it to them. That's why the AA TOS phaser looks so darn good.

http://store.roddenb...;parentID=11500

After you look at that link and the photo asbove, tell me where you have seen that phaser before... well.......maybe.....AA?

#22 knightone

knightone

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 01:34 PM

Actually, back in the day, AA themselves admitted they shrunk the phase pistol slightly to allow for the packaging to be a certain size for store shelves. So, if you compare the AA phase pistol to the original phase pistol prop, the AA is actually undersized. However, the one thing that saves it is that, later in the series, the actual prop phase pistols were supplemented with the AA ones. So the AA phase pistol became an actual screen used variant, making its size accurate to a screen used prop. Just not accurate to the original phase pistol props.

#23 Jedigreedo

Jedigreedo

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 08:08 PM

I never knew there were so many size issues, quite interesting. Of course these are the only ones I've seen in person so that doesn't help. tongue.gif

I really wish DST would make a tricorder and a phaser at the very least, especially with them getting into DS9 stuff. It'd be a great TNG/DS9 combo item. I'd especially like to see them take on the TNG/DS9 phaser rifle but I'm sure that'd be about $200. wink.gif

#24 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 08:21 PM

If you think that figures collectors are on things about this or that not being right, you have never been to a prop forum.

Check out the Trek Toy's sister website

http://www.trekpropzone.com

the Trek Prop Zone

Well if you want a Type III Phaser Rifle and you are willing to do some work, for $200.00 or so you could build yourself one like I did.

#25 knightone

knightone

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 08:29 PM

QUOTE(Jedigreedo @ Mar 20 2007, 09:08 PM) View Post
It'd be a great TNG/DS9 combo item.

I would prefer they not make them in a two pack. I'd rather they spend the entire budget on one, then on the other and release them separately. That way they could pack as many features they possibly can into each one for the price. Otherwise, they'd have to cut corners on each one to make them both fit together into the price point.

#26 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 08:33 PM

I have to agree with Knightone there. It's really all about how nice do you want it for the money your willing to spend.

#27 Jedigreedo

Jedigreedo

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 09:16 PM

QUOTE(FHC @ Mar 20 2007, 09:21 PM) View Post
Well if you want a Type III Phaser Rifle and you are willing to do some work, for $200.00 or so you could build yourself one like I did.

That's pretty sweet, I would like to make props like that but I have no experience with model kits and whatnot.

QUOTE(knightone @ Mar 20 2007, 09:29 PM) View Post
I would prefer they not make them in a two pack. I'd rather they spend the entire budget on one, then on the other and release them separately. That way they could pack as many features they possibly can into each one for the price. Otherwise, they'd have to cut corners on each one to make them both fit together into the price point.

Sorry I wasn't clearer, I used a bad choice of words I think... Anyhoo, I didn't mean combo as in packing them both together. Rather the combo was meant as instead of being deemed specifically part of the TNG or DS9 line both items would be promoted as part of both lines. The packaging and any promotional material would use TNG and DS9 references together to create a larger audience as there might be DS9 fans who don't pay any attention to them because they see TNG and turn away and vice versa.

#28 Stormfury_Echo

Stormfury_Echo

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 10:04 AM

QUOTE(knightone @ Mar 20 2007, 09:29 PM) View Post

Yeah, I remember how crummy the ENT Communicator was because of all the corners they cut on it. They spent most of the budget on the phase pistol. Not that I'm complaining, I love my phase pistol. smile.gif

#29 knightone

knightone

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 06:58 PM

QUOTE(slayerone76 @ Jan 24 2007, 06:18 PM) View Post
The Bajoran Trek Tek were some of my favorites of the entire series. The tricorder, while a bit big, was detailed and again the sounds and lights were nice.

Funny that you describe the Bajoran tricorder from PM as being big. I recently read that their Bajoran tricorder was the only role-play toy they made that was the same size as the original prop. I think all the sharp angles and corners give the impression that it is bigger than it should be because it kinda digs into your hand. A sharp contrast to the soft, rounded corners of their TNG tricorder.

#30 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 09:12 AM

Yes I must admit I'm captivated by the Bajor Trek Tek.... I see they go for pretty good prices on eBay and have added them to my list of things I'd trade stuff for... so if anyone has extras they want to get rid of LMK!

#31 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
  • Interests:Stately playboy by day ... profitable pimp by night. I like to watch movies, listen to music, go out ... friends ... food ... all the essentials of life.

Posted 02 May 2007 - 09:31 AM

I think the Bajoran stuff was some of the best of the PM Tek. I loved the way they looked, the sounds, the lights, and the way the felt. I don't think they were over or under-sized.

#32 TrekCollector01

TrekCollector01

Newforce is my home page.

• Members
  • 191 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek, Writing, collecting Star trek figures, movies, Tennis

Posted 17 August 2008 - 10:22 AM

QUOTE(Cpt. Phil T. Berns @ Dec 14 2006, 01:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The left one on that picture is the Playmates version. Way oversized, just like the unpictured Galoob version. The right on on the picture seems pretty accurate. There was a keychain made I think by IPI, that looked a lot more accurate than the Playmates version does.

The cricket phaser from the show was more flat, kind of like the mobile emitter from Star Trek Voyager. Oh well, I guess the toy version can't be perfect.

#33 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 10:27 AM

Looking for accurate?

The Playmates one that I love, looks odd and out of place next to this reproduction. The Playmates ones are more fun to play with though! smile.gif

#34 TrekCollector01

TrekCollector01

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 10:01 PM

QUOTE(FHC @ Aug 17 2008, 08:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Looking for accurate?

The Playmates one that I love, looks odd and out of place next to this reproduction. The Playmates ones are more fun to play with though! smile.gif

It seems like no matter what, playmates will always have the superior toy line.

#35 Tiberius

Tiberius

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 10:51 PM

Trekcollector, actually THIS is a prop!! The playmates was gaudy and bulky compared to this. FHC is indicating that the PM version is more fun then this one, because of its playability, as opposed to aesthetics...
Sorry

#36 knightone

knightone

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 11:35 PM

The Playmates cricket was five or six times the size of an actual cricket prop. That is the first inaccuracy. The only Playmates role-play item that was even close to accurate was the Bajoran tricorder. Everything else was either too small or too large. Some had better/more accurate details than others. Some had dimensional problems beyond just overall size.

The AA/DST stuff is far better. Though not totally accurate, they are far more accurate than the Playmates line. Playmates better step things up for their role-play items for the new movie as AA and DST have raised the bar on those types of items.

#37 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 12:42 AM

Sorry I should have said Prop not reproduction, hey I get sleepy too. smile.gif

Here's one more prop

#38 TrekCollector01

TrekCollector01

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 09:17 AM

QUOTE(FHC @ Aug 17 2008, 10:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sorry I should have said Prop not reproduction, hey I get sleepy too. smile.gif

Here's one more prop

Now that looks more like the original cricket, although it looks bigger from its vantage point and size of the photo.

#39 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 09:32 AM

I'll shoot a side by side with the playmates one tonight.

The cricket colors changed over the 7 seasons.

#40 TrekCollector01

TrekCollector01

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 10:20 AM

QUOTE(FHC @ Aug 18 2008, 07:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'll shoot a side by side with the playmates one tonight.

The cricket colors changed over the 7 seasons.

I though they got rid of the cricket in the later seasons of TNG.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users