52 replies to this topic

#1 Artistix

Artistix

Trek Toy.com Member of the Month Feb 2010

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 07:17 PM

Alright ya sacks of crap....

I'm getting this section of the forum going....not with anything in particular....just a start.

Cause I love my Playmates figures! laugh.gif

Discuss the 4.5" line here.

#2 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
  • Interests:Stately playboy by day ... profitable pimp by night. I like to watch movies, listen to music, go out ... friends ... food ... all the essentials of life.

Posted 23 August 2006 - 07:20 PM

I am about to start taking pictures of all 275 of my out of box figures and then move onto my mib figures which will include all of the 9" and 12".

I'll be insane afterwards, but itll be nice to have pics of them all!

#3 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 07:23 PM

#4 Mason

Mason

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 423 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek, Collecting Action Figures, Collecting DVD's

Posted 23 August 2006 - 09:26 PM

As bad as they all are compared to the fabulous DST/AA figures of today, I loved every minute of these figures. There is nothing like the excitement of walking into a toy store and seeing your favourite character, the one you've been searching for, hanging on the hook. Or winning that ebay auction for that rare figure by a whisker. Loved them!! smile.gif And don't call me a sack of crap!! wink.gif

#5 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
  • Interests:Stately playboy by day ... profitable pimp by night. I like to watch movies, listen to music, go out ... friends ... food ... all the essentials of life.

Posted 23 August 2006 - 09:36 PM

QUOTE(Mason @ Aug 23 2006, 10:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As bad as they all are compared to the fabulous DST/AA figures of today, I loved every minute of these figures. There is nothing like the excitement of walking into a toy store and seeing your favourite character, the one you've been searching for, hanging on the hook. Or winning that ebay auction for that rare figure by a whisker. Loved them!! smile.gif And don't call me a sack of crap!! wink.gif

No way would we call you that! I get nostalgic for that feeling too! I stll remember, from the depths of my brain, the day I walked in and saw my first Playmates figure ... Riker with the torn shirt. I remember the smell and the lighting in Wal-Mart, the excitement of seeing them on the shelf, and the anticipation of getting him home somehow. I went home, opened him up and then and went and begged my Mom for Picard and Worf and Geordi (with revable visor) and Data with opening arm and chest ... I know, I need therapy. I'm a figure junkie!

The first thing I do when opening a new figure is breathe in that amazing plastic smell ... harkens back to those Playmates days. LOL

#6 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 09:47 PM

I remember back in the 90's i would go to Walmart and a couple of other stores in my area at least once a week just to look at the Playmates figures, and it seems like they had new ones every week. The releases of these figures came pretty fast and i know that Walmart had at least half an isle devoted to them, with all of the 4.5" , 9", 12" and innerspace, ships and all that were displayed there. Ah, the good ole days..................

#7 Artistix

Artistix

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 11:47 PM

QUOTE(slayerone76 @ Aug 24 2006, 01:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No way would we call you that! I get nostalgic for that feeling too!

I believe he was asking me not to call him a sack of crap....
I'm too heavily influenced by Agnes Skinner laugh.gif

We wouldn't call him a sack of crap simply for loving every minutes of Playmates reign! biggrin.gif

Well, some might.

Since I come from a small city in Australia, I really appreciated going to Sydney a couple of times a year & seeing quite a few Trek figures.

They had the 1992 & 1993 assortment in my hometown...but that was it. And no, they never had ANY Beverly Crusher figures sad.gif my dad eventually found her in Sydney when he was there on business late 1994....it took him ages to find as he was looking for a red head named Gwendalyne! laugh.gif

We later found out Gwendalyne was the name of one of my fathers childhood pets....a bantom. huh.gif biggrin.gif

#8 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 12:00 AM

QUOTE(Artistix @ Aug 24 2006, 12:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I believe he was asking me not to call him a sack of crap....
I'm too heavily influenced by Agnes Skinner laugh.gif

Ohhhh, an insider that I stepped into the middle of. Not so sharp on the up take here. I need labels and sirens! LOL Sorry

#9 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 04:26 AM

I have all of the Spock figures and the TOS Bridge set as well as the Starfleet Officers set MIB. I also have the "Amok time" and "Tholian web" deluxe figure sets. I have about 100 different loose mint 4.5" figures displayed on my shelves too. I plan to collect all of the Playmates 4.5" line loose, because there are just too many to get MIB. I also have the TNG bridge with all those figures shown above, the Engineering section, and the Transporter all dsplayed with my figures.

#10 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 04:38 AM

I love the Playmates stuff. I have everyone they ever made in almost every version or size that was ever made.

A good example would be found here in the C's under Dr. Crusher

http://www.trektoy.com/c_page_2.htm

or here, look at the Worfs

http://www.trektoy.com/w.htm

or Kira's belt

http://www.trektoy.com/n.htm

I am missing the rest of the German 4.5 first series set except for Data. I am also missing one 4.5 Ensign Crusher that came with red accessories. I really started collecting with this line, or was it went nuts? Ok I went nuts. tongue.gif I would look every week in at least 3 places and try to make contacts at conventions with people from other city’s to trade with. Many times, they would get something that was not being sold here locally. I met at least a few people that I still call friends from those convention trips. The thing that you should remember is that the 4.5 line was a toy it was not much more. They were meant to be played with and considering that, I have a first series Troi that has a number on the bottom of her foot that is over 200,000 someone did a lot of playing, as Playmates must have done a lot of selling. Matter of fact any foot number under 10,000 was considered worth more money for a time and might still be, not sure anymore.

Really I can take them or leave them. tongue.gif

#11 BStu

BStu

Tracking number maniac

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 09:00 AM

As a dedicated opener, I have a REAL hard time justifying eBay prices for the Playmates bridge, but MAN do I ever want that. I wanted it back in the day, too, and I never even collected Playmates. Was a bit too old and yet not quite old enough. Still, I coveted them even then. Did get the TOS bridge crew. The box is still sitting in my parent's attic but the figures are packed away somewhere in my room. But man, if I could get the bridge loose with a TNG bridge crew, I'd be a very happy camper. Campy style or not, I'm major sucker for playsets.

#12 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 03:08 PM

I might be able to set you up if you want one.

#13 Artistix

Artistix

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 04:24 PM

Woh...great website you got there FHC.

#14 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 04:35 PM

QUOTE(Artistix @ Aug 24 2006, 05:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Woh...great website you got there FHC.

He's been trying to get you to check out ever since you signed up for his forums Artistix! LOL

#15 jason

jason

Knows the way to Eden

• Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 26 August 2006 - 09:57 AM

Well the bridge playset was a Christmas present one year when I was a kid. I didnt quite get the concept of following instructions when I put the stickers on it. I think I may have to grab another one of them to keep in the box. It has so many childhood memories for me. I used to play with it and my figures every day almost. I was really dissapointed that they never made one for the original series. I also really like he packaging for it. I guess todays kids can enjoy the Black Pearl from POTC like I did the Bridge Playset

#16 BStu

BStu

Tracking number maniac

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 26 August 2006 - 12:44 PM

QUOTE(FHC @ Aug 24 2006, 05:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I might be able to set you up if you want one.

PM me the terms. I'd at least be interested in seeing what it would cost to get a hold of it.

#17 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,101 posts
  • Interests:Collecting Art Asylum 7&quot; Star trek action figures.

Star trek &amp; writing fan fiction.

Posted 29 August 2006 - 03:27 AM

I used to see these for sale in the Internation Commerce Centre in Gibraltar. We had loadsamoney in those days, I should have bought some of them! sad.gif

#18 Artistix

Artistix

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 04:50 AM

QUOTE(slayerone76 @ Aug 25 2006, 08:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He's been trying to get you to check out ever since you signed up for his forums Artistix! LOL

Yes, I'm somewhat slow at times...

Like writing this response to a message you posted 5 days ago! laugh.gif

It was his reference to Dr. Crusher up there that got me to look...one knows it's like a flashing red beakon to me happy.gif

I did put one of the wall panel stickers upside down on the Bridge. Somehow I managed to break the little slots that attach Data & Ro's chairs into the stand....so they are being held their with tape.

My red alert light didn't always work either...only when it felt like it. Much like my light up Storm figure.
Gotta love when toys have character.

I didn't get why the sound effects on Worfs console were lengthened. Even red alert was given an extra little sound in between each wail. Hailing frequencies sort of rattled on after it would normally stop.

By the way FHC...awesome pic of Data on the bike. smile.gif
Did you never pick up a Keiko figure??

And what is this I see on your page?

A set that actually included 2 of my fave characters?? how odd! I'm going to have to track that down one day. Were the rest of them released in another set?

#19 Mason

Mason

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 423 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek, Collecting Action Figures, Collecting DVD's

Posted 30 August 2006 - 09:54 PM

^ Those sets were everywhere in Australia Artistix...warmed a few shelves if I remember correctly. You could get a DS9 pack too.

#20 Artistix

Artistix

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 05:25 PM

A Star Trek set was made that included Riker, Troi & Beverly over Picard, Data & Worf....

I don't believe that! biggrin.gif

Surely a set was made with Picard, Data, Worf & Lursa.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users