36 replies to this topic

#1 Jpatrik

Jpatrik

Knows the way to Eden

• Members
  • 147 posts
  • Interests:Sci-Fi, Star Trek, Fitness, Writing, World Domination

Posted 10 January 2014 - 06:26 AM

Loose Joints On Playmates Figures - anyone have any ideas on how to fix em?

The waist joint seems to be the culprit most times, and I'm a stickler for figures with nice stiff joints.  Was hoping that if anyone here had any bizarre home remedies you could share them with me :-)

Much obliged

- Jim

#2 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 01:23 PM

Depends on the severity of the joint looseness. One remedy that I have heard that works pretty good is a dab of superglue on the joint and then quickly working it back and forth until it dries. Dont let it sit or it will glue the joint in place. You have to constantly move it. My only problem with this method is the way superglue reacts with certain materials. Sometimes it leaves a white spot on black areas. You may want to test it on a broken or duplicate figure to see how it works.

#3 savage1

savage1

Toys before the light bill.

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 02:52 PM

I have also used multiple coats of clear nail polish.

#4 Jpatrik

Jpatrik

Knows the way to Eden

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 12:31 AM

Thanks fellas!  I have extracted a spare Tom Paris from the action figure graveyard and am experimenting with superglue and nail polish!

First time I've ever bought nail polish in my life - ugh!  There were so many choices!

- Jim

#5 robster

robster

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 12:45 AM

LOL! Like your new avatar,icon,pic....whatever you call them. You into Who as well? And where is that Tardis? lol!

Hope your little figure prob works out. I've not had this problem yet so it's nice to know that some measures can be taken if it happens.

Back in this country,NOT happy! Been up most of the night just being totally GRRRRR! And superawake. And melancholy. Not a good combination,lol!

J-R!

#6 Jpatrik

Jpatrik

Knows the way to Eden

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 06:43 AM

Thanks dude - the photo is from a convention last October.  There was a full size tardis and many full size daleks.  There early as en exhibitor I managed to charm my way into the tardis and drive around a real dalek!  It was all kinds of amazing.

Tom Paris is busy setting overnight with with a belly full of nail polish - I shall report back on results!

Nope, not a good combo at all man - in fact I can say I spent several years of my life like that (including the bit about being superawake!).  If you're feeling blue, drop me a line - I could always use an old fashioned pen pal :-)

- Jim

#7 robster

robster

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 12:55 PM

LOL! Now THERE's a word I not heard in years. Pen Pal....lol! Not heard it since last time I watched the TNG episode,Pen Pals,lol! But yeah,I'll drop ya a line. Not feeling Smurfy as such,just a bit meh about being back here. I try not to post or e-mail people,or txt,when I'm like this,especially in the night as your mind is kinda messing around with ya,lol! You look kinda blue in that pic though. LOL! Just joshing ya.

Just sitting here listening to music,right now a band from New Zealand,I think. Naked and Famous. They got some great stuff. As do Grouplove. Also Phoenix and When in Rome 2,lol! Had to rip that one from reverbnation. And always thought Phoenix was from Phoenix....and turned out to be frickin' French! lol! Also thrown in some OMD and Blue October there.

Anyways,just to stay on topic,as always,lol,do most figures end up with loose joints over the years? I know they do if you play with them a lot,but surely the ones you just display don't get all loose?! Good reason to go high end and start doing statues and such instead,if you only wanna display stuff that would be perfect. Probably boring in the long run though.

And some of my figures with the rubbery stuff on them,the rubber goes a bit wonky. But they're not on display right now so it's ok. Actually,Kirk,Spock and McCoy from DST ARE on display,along with my fabulous Gorn. Also my Playmates 12" Gorn and Spock,and Data from Insurrection,are still on display,and the bigger Borg fig Playmates did is somewhere here,lol. Not 12",the two they did,Klingon and Borg. I only got the Borg one as I was never a fan of the Klingons. Cool figure though.

J-R!

#8 VorlonKosh

VorlonKosh

The card is maxed out.

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 06:56 PM

Get a room you two! LOL. :)

#9 robster

robster

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 07:17 PM

ROFL! I have a house,plenty of room for everyone,if you clear away some of the toys and such. Even have two bedrooms,and no,not for visiting girlfriends,LOL! They cost too much,lol! And after saying no to marriage three times already,I think that train,ship,bus,spaceship,time machine,has left the station,lol! And no kids,that I know of,so I'm fine. 18 kids at work is just great,leave them at four or five pm,and don't have to care about anyone else after that,lol!

And the kids love it when I show them pics of my toys,just to prove to them that I have more toys than them,lol!

Hmmmm,maybe I should've said yes to that nurse in the US,come to think of it. She's a Trekker too,and it would've meant I'd be living in the US by now. Oh well,guess I have to grow up first,lol! I'm old,but don't exactly act my age,LOL!

So,back on topic,yes? If the joints are loose,will it be easier to do some body swaps and head swaps? I did a head swap with some of the 2009 movie ones so I could get Chekov and McCoy in Starfleet uniforms. Might have to do it again to get Chekov as a red shirt as well,lol! And maybe do it with the 6 inch line as well.

J-R!

#10 Jpatrik

Jpatrik

Knows the way to Eden

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 07:57 PM

Well there you have it - we've been officially told to get a room.  Its just a little man love - though we are clogging up the poor ol playmates forum.

I'm in a relationship, but never plan on marriage.  Seems like an old-timey tradition to me, and one that I don't particularly see myself choosing.

Hmmm...head swaps - those playmates toys are made quite well, and the joints don't come out as easily as you'd expect.  Though I have an aversion to 'made' things, I do have an admiration for some of the phenomenal customs I have seen (check out Daysleeper's enterprise crew!  Phwoah!)

Statues seem quite stately and lack the charm and bright colours of the playmates action figure line.  Plus no day glo phaser rifles and such!

I guess thats why I'm not a massive fan of the Star Trek select figures (another Kirk & Spock - yawn!) plus what ARE they?

Figures?  Statues?

Maybe the arrival of Picard will change my mind...

- Jim

#11 robster

robster

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 08:11 PM

LOL! I'm done with relationships. I'm just too weird for most people I guess.

The head swap was fairly easy,just pull them off and swap around,lol! But proper customizing?! Could never do that. I can't even do the Enterprise model kits that I have,lol! No patience at all,just like to know that I have them,and maybe I'll be more patient when I'm REALLY old,lol!

I like SOME statues that I've seen,some good Spidey ones I would love to buy,and the Gorn statue is really great! Guess Marvel Select and Star Trek Select are....cheap statues?! lol!

Well as long as it's fun here in the forums,I guess it's fine,lol! Throw in a line or three that's topical and throw in some fun,and Bob's your uncle!!!! Still don't actually have an uncle named Bob,so I still think it's a stupid line,but some people find it funny.

3am....DEFO past my bedtime! LOL!

J-R!

#12 robster

robster

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 10:59 PM

Oh and my questions about the topic here were meant for EVERYONE! lol! So,any info? Suggestions? And so on....

Off to work,first day this year,NOT happy! It's just getting more and more difficult coming back to this country. And no,it's not as easy as saying,just move already! I certainly would if I could.

Have fun y'all!

J-R!

#13 Jpatrik

Jpatrik

Knows the way to Eden

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 08:31 PM

Okay - so my report:

Nail Polish and Superglue don't seem to be so successful, though they are helpful if you would like to get a joint to lock completely and become immovable.

Self Shining floor cleaner (with acrylic content) works quite well and is very liquidy so not difficult to apply.  A syringe or medicine dropper have both proved useful.  Also, the floor cleaner seems to work better on figures made of 'softer' plastic, like the Doctor Who range.  A few drops of floor cleaner has completely fixed their wobbly leg joints!

Any statues of original series aliens I'm happy with - even some of those bizarre ones from Hamilton/Applause in the 90s - I have a few of them and they make me very happy :-)  Still dont have the Talosian though!

In the middle of a crazy heat wave - 41degrees C in Melbourne for the next three days.  Streets and restaurants are virtually empty as we all hide under air conditioning.  I'm just hoping that the power grid doesnt fail - I'm getting stuck into Super Mario World on my old SNES!

- Jim

#14 robster

robster

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 11:23 AM

LOL! Well I 'll send you some snow and cold from here. Hate this time of year in this country,should've just stayed in the US,lol!

So it didn't work as good as hoped. Well good to know. The only fig I have that has loose joints is my little Twiki from Buck Rogers way back when. I bought him loose last summer in Raleigh as I always wanted that little robot,lol! But he was loose when I bought him so I carefully put him on the shelf next to R2,3PO and Robby the Robot. Putting Muffit the Daggit next to them as well. Robby the Robot is just a Hallmark orny,so only has lights and sound,lol!

So you've noticed the difference in plastic on various figure lines too,ey? Yeah,it's very widespread.

Anyways,just waiting for the lazy idiots at the postal socalled service in this country to get my four boxes delivered to my post office so I can go and pick them up. They don't deliver at the door over here,like I said....lazy idiots. I usually give them a week and if NOTHING has happened I call them and ask WTF?! and then I get it a day or two later. It seems they WANT customers to call and be pissed off. Wankers.

Maybe I should try what you did with your figs on Twiki. Not that I really need to as I'm not gonna play with him,lol!

J-R!

#15 Jpatrik

Jpatrik

Knows the way to Eden

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 01:23 AM

Dude, would love some snow.  44 degrees here in Melbourne today.  Burned my hand on my steering wheel!  Public transport is a mess and power failures abound.  Its unbearable and we have one more day to go tomorrow (that is at least according to our unreliable forecasters!)

Sounds like the floor cleaner would work on Twiki - wasn't he the one with an obscene looking head?

The floor cleaner will tighten the joints somewhat but be ideal if you don't intend on playing with them (as I do).

Yeah I guess I have always been aware of different plastic used.  The Doctor Who figures look much 'softer' than the harder plastics used by Playmates.  I gotta say though, those Playmates toys are built to last - I needed a syringe to get into the waist joint!

Your mail system sounds bizarre!  I order things from all over the world and they arrive at my doorstep.  Almost never have to go to the post office and when I do its such a hassle!

- Jim

#16 robster

robster

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 12:28 PM

Guess my mailman is just a lazy a-hole. Even a magazine I have to pick up at the post office! Sometimes,a dvd will be in my mailbox when I've ordered that,but anything else.....pick up slip and bus to post office. INCREDIBLY annoying!

Sounds like you have some nice weather,LOL! Still snowing here,so come on over and take it with ya!

Well I SAY I don't play with my stuff,but sometimes I can't help but play a LITTLE! Especially the rc and interactive toys. I LOVE my interactive R2,and all my rc Daleks and K-9,and my big interactive Dalek. Then there's B-9,all the various ships from DST and Playmates that I just HAVE to press the buttons on every now and then,lol,KITT,DeLorean,various tin toys...Spidey and Superman.....,Tracy Island tech toy,various Thunderbirds and Captain Scarlet craft,and a bunch of other stuff.

Got this little urge to get back into Star Wars collecting but I doubt it'll happen. Going to buy this dvd called Plastic Galaxy: The Story of Star Wars toys though. Here's a link if anyone wants to see a trailer and such.

http://www.plasticgalaxymovie.com/

So yeah,while Twiki won't be played with....much....I'm gonna be real careful whenever I do. And maybe one day I'll get one MOC.

Gonna order my SPM KITT real soon,still a few months till it actually gets here though,as I ship stuff to that friend in Raleigh first,then either he ships it to me or I ship it myself next time I'm there. I'm just happy knowing I got it,lol!

Just happy it's Friday tomorrow,been a long week.

J-R!

#17 Daysleeper

Daysleeper

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 537 posts
  • Interests:Music, acting, theatre, film, arts in General

Check out my band: www.facebook.com/eastportslackers

Posted 17 January 2014 - 03:36 AM

Though I have an aversion to 'made' things, I do have an admiration for some of the phenomenal customs I have seen (check out Daysleeper's enterprise crew!  Phwoah!)

Jim, thank you so much!  :D

#18 Jpatrik

Jpatrik

Knows the way to Eden

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 08:19 AM

No worries Daysleeper, I only recently had a good look at em via one of the old threads and was blown away - truly works of art that made me jealous that I didn't own them and envious that I am not creative enough to construct such things.  Great use of the Seaquest figures too.  Another one of my favourites from Playmates so it was awesome seeing them re-purposed.

Just got given a Shuttlecraft Goddard for my birthday...its 1am here and I have just finished flying it round the house (albeit quietly without roaring impulse engines) - so yes, I still play with the toys quite a bit!  No shame in it at all!

- Jim

#19 robster

robster

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 08:47 AM

HEY,you back! LOL! When was your birthday? HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY,if it's already been,or HAPPY BIRTHDAY,if it's today. Yep,covering it all here,lol! That shuttle is just GREAT! Never had it,but always wanted to get it,and will at some point as it's not too expensive these days.

Still waiting for my four boxes from the US,but have started calling the lazy a-holes EVERY DAY till they DO SOMETHING about them,lol! They usually hurry it up then as they probably get sick and tired and annoyed of my phone calls. But I don't care. When they don't do their bloody job I WILL let them know. lol!

Sunday,the usual boring day over here,so it's pizza in the oven and crap tv,lol! It stopped snowing,FINALLY,so now I just hope it'll go away soon. Probably not till March or April though. Hope your heat wave isn't doing your noggin' in.

Not done anything with Twiki yet as I don't have any nail polish or anything similar. Only thing I have is Bite Free,which is to stop you from biting your nails,lol! They say it tastes foul but I liked it so much I had to stop using it. Guess it won't do any good using that on the loose joints. But he's still standing so it's all good....till I start playing with him,lol! Maybe put him in the Galoob shuttle,when my bloody boxes arrive,and have some fun. He could be like a pet robot for the TNG figs,lol!

Anyways,hope you had or will have a GREAT Birthday!

J-R!

#20 Daysleeper

Daysleeper

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 537 posts
  • Interests:Music, acting, theatre, film, arts in General

Check out my band: www.facebook.com/eastportslackers

Posted 20 January 2014 - 09:01 AM

Happy belated birthday! And yes, I play with my toys every now and then, too. It always makes my girlfriend laugh when she hears me firing my DST TOS phaser at imaginary Klingons... ;)  

Yeah I've always liked the SeaQuest figures, too, and I needed the Enterprise crew in 4.5". It somehow made sense to use the SeaQuest figs as a base. Glad you like them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users