What if Playmates took the 2012 license?

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2010 - 10:51 AM

I spoke with a Mrs Billingsley at Playmates the other day via email.

I am not sure if Playmate will have the license for Star Trek in the future but I will forward your comments to the marketing group.

Thank you & Regards, Paula Billingsley
(877) 612-7136
Consumer Service
Playmates Toys Inc.

Now It could just be me but she didn't seem all that confident that Playmates would get a Star Trek license so I wouldn't be surprised at all if it went to someone else, I wouldn't be surprised if that someone else was Mattel since they already have a Star Trek toy license and have proved that they can do popular product and do it well - the only thing that concerns me about it is that Avatar figures were impossible to get over in the UK's mainstream toyshops, making me go all the way into town to the local Forbidden Planet. OR order online which is great and all but there's nothing better than going into a bricks and mortar shop and selecting the item you want.

#22 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2010 - 10:59 AM

QUOTE (Alex @ Oct 11 2010, 02:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Van Citters interview that 1701 is so fond of posting notes that we've seen the "latest update from" DST (emphasis mine; note the word is latest, not last,) but goes on to talk about Playmates ending with "I don't think we will see anything new from Playmates," which Trek movie follow-ups with "in 2010." It's possible that Van Citters meant "in 2010" and that Playmates kept their license for the 2012 movie, whether we like it or not, but it's also possible that Trekmovie thought Van Citters meant "in 2010" when he meant for the foreseeable future instead. I should point out that the interview is from March, and pre-dates the announcement of DST's new Enterprise-E among other things.

As far as I was concerned it seemed that from what I personally got from that interview was that there will be a whole host of new and well-known companies coming onboard for the 2012 movie. Where DST is concerned, this issue has been widely talked about on here and I think it's a matter of wait and see as far as DST's future goes. As far as Playmates seem to be concerned is that they haven't got a Star Trek license and would need to bid for it again for the 2012 product which I personally don't think they will do.

As for your points on their 2009 license I think you've hit the nail on the head - the line was a disappointing mess of cheap plastics and a giant leap back in terms of articulation, detail and quality and a shambles in the way they just seemed to drop it when they realised that their product wasn't selling. That alone must have pissed off CBS and Paramount since the movie was an undeniable success that had "legs".

#23 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • Interests:"Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?"

Posted 13 October 2010 - 05:31 PM

If Mattel got the figure license that could be good. A Movie Maniacs Star Trek line would be great alongside Batman: Dark Knight figures and Ghostbusters. They could even do figures in non-movie years and offer them up on mattycollector.com! I'd certainly get a subscription for Four-Horsemen-sculpted Trek figures! Mattel's 4" Infinite Heroes line has come along way since the first offering. We will be seeing much more from Mattel with the release of the upcoming Green Lantern movie, so maybe Star Trek would be a good fit with Mattel. They could maybe give Hasbro's Star Wars line a little competition.

#24 knightone

knightone

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 08:44 PM

I figured the movie license would be up for grabs. My guess is each Abrams movie is a separate license currently. Also, with Playmates disappointing showing with the 2009 movie, I doubt Paramount would go that route again. So many toy companies out there, I'm sure a few will bid on the next movie license.

#25 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2010 - 02:15 AM

Im gonna guess these will be the companies bidding for the toy license and that stand a chance of getting it:

Hasbro
Mattel
SpinMasters
Jakks Pacific

I think It'll either go to Hasbro or Mattel, since both have either been interested in Star Trek for a while (Hasbro) or have already got a license to produce Trek toys (Mattel). I can't see Playmates putting in a bid for it this time round. Whoever does get it may already even know since it takes a while (at least 10 months) for designers to design, manufacturers to produce and so forth...

Other toy licenses I guess will become available such as LEGO. I think 2012 should be a bigger year for Trek than 2009 in terms of merchandising as I think companies as well as Paramount and CBS were probably a bit more cautious since the 2009 movie could have tanked... It didn't and It's inevitable that more companies, bigger companies will be a bit more interested in the property and the direction it's taking, appealing to a broader, younger audience. Certainly if it is one of those two and the 2nd film is successful I can see them wanting to keep it for a longer period than Playmates did - in fact Mattel STILL have their license as seen by their recent Star Trek fan set.

#26 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 09:41 PM

QUOTE (1701 @ Oct 14 2010, 03:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Im gonna guess these will be the companies bidding for the toy license and that stand a chance of getting it:

Hasbro
Mattel
SpinMasters
Jakks Pacific

I think It'll either go to Hasbro or Mattel, since both have either been interested in Star Trek for a while (Hasbro) or have already got a license to produce Trek toys (Mattel). I can't see Playmates putting in a bid for it this time round. Whoever does get it may already even know since it takes a while (at least 10 months) for designers to design, manufacturers to produce and so forth...

Other toy licenses I guess will become available such as LEGO. I think 2012 should be a bigger year for Trek than 2009 in terms of merchandising as I think companies as well as Paramount and CBS were probably a bit more cautious since the 2009 movie could have tanked... It didn't and It's inevitable that more companies, bigger companies will be a bit more interested in the property and the direction it's taking, appealing to a broader, younger audience. Certainly if it is one of those two and the 2nd film is successful I can see them wanting to keep it for a longer period than Playmates did - in fact Mattel STILL have their license as seen by their recent Star Trek fan set.

I think you might be onto something with Mattel. They seem to be grabbing up some interesting properties lately. Who would ever have thought that Back to the Future and Ghostbusters would have come back with action figures? Mattel is doing really well with Matty Collector, if you can get past the troubles with their website, but the subscription option will take care of that. Mattel has a extensive sculpt and mold library so part reuse is barely noticeable. If you sit back and think about it Mattel could release a version of every captain and first officer in a year. That line up would probably look something like this:

Capt. Kirk -TOS
Capt. Picard-TNG
Capt. Sisko-DS9
Capt. Janeway-VOY
Capt. Archer- ENT
Capt. Kirk- ST 2009

Spock- TOS
Riker- TNG
Kira- DS9
Chakotay-VOY
T'Pol- ENT
Spock- ST 2009

In a year you would have all of the Captains and First Officers! In the movie year, they could release movie figures at retail in conservative numbers. Movie Masters 6" scale could offer up a few new characters from the sequel and a couple of waves of 3 3/4" with playsets and shuttles could maybe see release for the movie release and another wave to accompany the DVD release. DST could stay working on ships and tech (I'd really love for them to get a shot at the 2009 Enterprise and The Kelvin, but to have it done in time for 2012 theywould have needed to have started in about 2009) To wrap things up, I think, in light of Playmates comments and that Van Citters interview the Mattel/Matty Collector option might be the most logical next step for Star Trek action-figures.

#27 Jedigreedo

Jedigreedo

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 10:52 PM

That'd probably be Pike for Abrams Trek, since Kirk wasn't Captain until the very end. tongue.gif

#28 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 October 2010 - 02:14 AM

I think Mattel are the almost obvious choice for CBS to go with. They already have a Star Trek "toy" license to produce die-cast's, remote controls and barbie's so why not? Plus all of the things bgiles mentioned about Mattel having just announced another classic 80's license; Back to the Future. Along with Masters of the Universe, Ghostbusters and now Back to the Future not to mention their Avatar and Dark Knight/DC Universe range, Star Trek does if you think about it, fit perfectly with many of those brands.

I could see it now. An exclusive line of movie masters CLASSIC (1966 - 2005) Trek figures sold through matty-collector in exactly the same way as the Ghostbusters and quite possibly how Back to the Future will be done and then a more freely available global line of movie masters plus 3 3/4 inch figures, play-sets, large scale ships (inc. an electronic Enterprise) and role-play items from the 2009 and 2012 movies similar to how they've done Batman Begins/The Dark Knight and Avatar in recent years.

#29 knightone

knightone

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 05:54 PM

QUOTE (1701 @ Oct 21 2010, 03:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They already have a Star Trek "toy" license to produce die-cast's, remote controls and barbie's so why not?

Um, none of those lines performed well last year and they ended up terminating those lines. This might give them pause before they bid for the next movie license.

#30 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2010 - 09:32 AM

QUOTE (knightone @ Oct 21 2010, 06:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Um, none of those lines performed well last year and they ended up terminating those lines. This might give them pause before they bid for the next movie license.

That may be but the only one who lost their license was Playmates hence why we saw Mattel just recently release a Star Trek Scene It pack with the unreleased Trek toy ships. If they didn't have a license then they would not have been allowed to produce this set surely?

#31 Jedigreedo

Jedigreedo

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 01:27 PM

That is true, but they may be letting their license run out. Plus, they'd have to make the effort and spend more money to acquire the action figure license which is doubtful if Trek was a disappointment for them.

#32 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2010 - 02:17 PM

I guess that could be a distinct possibility, It does seem that everyone who has or has had a Trek license is either not going to be going back to Trek or letting it sit dormant for a while or both!

I think everyone underestimated the popularity of "Star Trek" before it was released but certainly something needs to be done regarding the merchandise, I think probably we'd be looking at stuff geared towards older fans rather than kids? Obviously they'll be a kids line which needs to be far superior to that of Playmates line but probably with the intention of only going for a year releasing things that are ONLY movie related and then in the summer and for the Christmas holiday's/DVD & BluRay release. Quality issues seem to be a problem with Star Trek toys weather it be DST, Playmates or Mattel - certainly the next batch of merchandise needs to be built to a good standard so that at least whoever has a license knows they've done everything they can to make it sell. Regardless of recession, people tend to be buying quality rather than stuff that looks cheap and tacky - like the PM 2009 Trek and Terminator toys.

Wouldn't a company know by now if they were to get the Star Trek license since it takes a while for them to design, prototype, produce then manufacture toys? At least 10 months from paper to product? Maybe we'll know by January/February 2011

#33 Alex

Alex

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 926 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 04:25 AM

I think Mattel and DST are both letting their licenses sit dormant for the time being. They both know that they have a potentially marketable license in their hands, but the problem that they face is the economy. The first thing people cut from their budget in a recession is recreational spending, and "toys" are at the top of the list for recreational spending.

DST has actually been pretty smart; they put their action figure line on hold, and are continuing to release ships and Tek. While ships and Tek certainly cost more then figures, the releases are fewer and further between, so people can actually still afford them. Likewise, Mattel's problem wasn't that they had a product that nobody wanted, their problem was that they had products that people wanted but simply couldn't afford.

Knightone, Mattel's lines performed poorly for the same reason that all toy lines performed poorly in 2009 and 2010, which is the fact that the recession has pummeled the toy industry. Even lines that sell well like Hasbro's Star Wars line have taken a bit of a hit. The fact that Mattel still has their license, even if they're not using it should say that at the very least, CBS has faith in them even if they don't have that much faith in a Trek line right now. The fact that CBS and Playmates have made it sound as if they've actually terminated their license with each other speaks volumes about their 2009 Trek line.

To be honest, I understand why Trek didn't sell well in 2009; people simply couldn't afford it. The difference between Mattel and Playmates though is that I actually saw stock move when it came to the Mattel line. Ships were sold, and people bought them, even if they might not have been in the numbers that Mattel and CBS would have hoped for had the economy been better. The stock for the Playmates line on the other hand didn't move. I could walk into almost any store in my area that was carrying the Playmates line and the only thing that might change was the amount of dust on top of the figures, which were effectively peg-warmers. They were discounted multiple times, and even with discounts they moved at a glacial pace. Playmates also seemed to have trouble selling ships. Their $25 dollar 1701 sat as a shelf warmer long after the movie had been released, and much like the action figures, it too saw several discounts. A friend of mine actually picked up the Trek XI 1701 for $5.00 dollars. My friend works at Wal-Mart, saw the ship marked down to $5.00, and bought it after he clocked out one night; with his employee discount, it was actually closer to $3.00 dollars, and had it been defective, there were two more sitting on the shelf that didn't seem to be warping out of the store anytime soon. The quality of the merchandise, coupled with a lack of disposable income effectively killed Playmates' line. Mattel may not have had their line sell as well as planned, but the quality wasn't as much of an issue with their product as it was with Playmates'.

If the economy continues to stagnate though, I could actually see the 2012 Trek film having a very minimal toy presence, quite possibly something akin to the Art Asylum NEM line that consisted of four figures after two were canceled when the movie bombed. If Trek XII is the "Revenge of the Fallen" of J.J. Trek, this will be even more likely then if the movie does well as we hope that it will.

#34 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 05:32 PM

I keep seeing in these posts all the more reason we need a 3 3/4" line out there too. A good line not that crap like Playmates did in 2009. I'd be happy if Playmates and DST could get together behind a 3 3/4" line. It would be cool if DST could help Playmates develop some cool playsets for a 3 3/4" line (something like all those command chairs, but a whole bridge set instead!) I mean Jeez, even Playmates did better playsets than the Star Trek:2009 sets, with their Simpsons: World of Springfield sets. DST's Interactive Delorean from Back To the Future is an excellent example of what they could do for 3 3/4" scale vehicles. I'd love to see DST and Playmates work on a shuttle craft!

#35 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 05:46 PM

QUOTE (1701 @ Oct 22 2010, 10:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That may be but the only one who lost their license was Playmates hence why we saw Mattel just recently release a Star Trek Scene It pack with the unreleased Trek toy ships. If they didn't have a license then they would not have been allowed to produce this set surely?

I don't think that Playmates lost their license, so much as just let it expire. I remember an interview about two years ago with Paul Fish from Playmates in which he said that their license was just for the 2009 movie. Any sequel license would be applied for on a movie by movie basis. Of course the rumored TOS 3 3/4" line that was in development throws a monkey wrench into that. That must have been another licensing deal that fell through. That is the deal I am most hoping comes to fruition since it seems that this 3 3/4" line was rumored to also end up being along the lines of an all expansive Star Trek: Legacy line. With DST providing sculpts this line might have the potential to actually be something special!

#36 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2010 - 04:13 AM

QUOTE (bgiles73 @ Oct 25 2010, 06:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't think that Playmates lost their license, so much as just let it expire. I remember an interview about two years ago with Paul Fish from Playmates in which he said that their license was just for the 2009 movie. Any sequel license would be applied for on a movie by movie basis. Of course the rumored TOS 3 3/4" line that was in development throws a monkey wrench into that. That must have been another licensing deal that fell through. That is the deal I am most hoping comes to fruition since it seems that this 3 3/4" line was rumored to also end up being along the lines of an all expansive Star Trek: Legacy line. With DST providing sculpts this line might have the potential to actually be something special!

It seems strange, the only thing I can think of is that Playmates dropped it as soon as they felt it wouldn't make them any money. I'm not at all surprised with the economy the way it is but they should have at least got out the second series.

#37 Fat Valentino

Fat Valentino

Newforce is my home page.

• Members
  • 179 posts
  • Interests:Custom Ships and Playsets

Posted 26 October 2010 - 04:50 AM

You know what I really regret about Playmates losing/giving up the license? That the announced Galactic Heroes knock off "kiddie" line was never released. I think it was going to be called called "Federation Heroes" or "Starfleet Heroes" or some equally awkward nonsense. But seriously, those Star Wars: Galactic Heroes are great. The rather generic "kiddie" sculpting would have worked for either vintage TOS or the new movie, and the cool two packs with dynamic action poses would have been fun. Also, it might have produced a fun, non-realistic Enterprise playset. I wonder if any prototypes were ever made or photographed...

#38 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2010 - 05:17 AM

Rome was not built in a day. Star Trek's new found popularity lets not forget, is still in it's infancy. It's going to take a lot more than just the 2009 movie to convince people that Star Trek for a kid is worth putting on the Christmas and Birthday lists and spending precious pocket money on.

As for CBS and the companies that could be involved with Star Trek? Had we had this discussion in 2008 I think my response would be a total contrast to my opinion now. Which is that in business terms, Star Trek today is an exciting opportunity for any company willing to invest in. The first movie was a critical and financial success on a domestic and global scale and whilst more could be done to improve the global box office it proved it had legs with good DVD sales and a good amount of word of mouth continuing even today as well as continued anticipation for the sequel. Certainly as a brand Star Trek is one that has the potential to be very lucrative for any company such as Hasbro and Lego.

The big question though is how do they (toy companies) maximise the potential Star Trek has to really tap into the kids toy market, what does Star Trek offer kids that when faced with the choice between a Star Wars toy and a Star Trek toy they decide to pick the Star Trek toy.

So far, we've had a mixed back of quality products (some solid, some down right awful) from DST, that may have been acceptable for the tiny number of followers Star Trek had in the years that it's popularity was all but non existent but it isn't enough anymore, especially in these choppy economic waters. For a company to do what Playmates did in 2009 and just put out a line of poorly made, bog-standard toys that would look more at home on the shelves of Toys R Us in the late 80's than in the Toy's R Us's of the 21's century is simply unacceptable for a franchise with such a rich history and such a positive future. Whoever comes next needs to invest the time, the money and the quality into their products taking the care from paper to product that the big toy lines enjoy into the Star Trek brand, to give it something unique that kids find interesting and engaging - the most successful toy lines don't simply represent the film they depict, they also go a long way in selling the film they represent.

#39 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2010 - 05:18 AM

QUOTE (Fat Valentino @ Oct 26 2010, 05:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You know what I really regret about Playmates losing/giving up the license? That the announced Galactic Heroes knock off "kiddie" line was never released. I think it was going to be called called "Federation Heroes" or "Starfleet Heroes" or some equally awkward nonsense. But seriously, those Star Wars: Galactic Heroes are great. The rather generic "kiddie" sculpting would have worked for either vintage TOS or the new movie, and the cool two packs with dynamic action poses would have been fun. Also, it might have produced a fun, non-realistic Enterprise playset. I wonder if any prototypes were ever made or photographed...

Perhaps for 2012, if Hasbro get a license we'll see the real deal and not some Playmates substitute! tongue.gif

#40 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 10:56 PM

This new article at trekmovie.com adds to speculation that CBS and Paramount might have their eyes on licensees that can bring up those profit margins! Funny that two of the big franchise movies both have toylines with Hasbro. Maybe Star Trek could join GI Joe, Transformers and Star Wars.

http://trekmovie.com...ar-trek-sequel/

Also, of interest: JJ Abrahms will be producing a movie for Micronauts. Just another franchise/toy line that Hasbro recently aquired. Anybody else seeing a pattern here?

http://toynewsi.com/...78&itemid=16569

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users