52 replies to this topic

#21 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • Interests:"Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?"

Posted 06 October 2009 - 12:18 PM

Awesome news indeed. I have been waiting for this for a long time. I hope TNG, DS9, VOY and Enterprise 3 3/4" lines will be coming too!

#22 pickard

pickard

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 12:39 PM

QUOTE (sallah @ Oct 6 2009, 10:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The thing that's sticking out to me is them saying the mini-figures are 'animated style'. Could these be like those Star Wars Galactic Hero 2 packs? If so...I'm all over those for me and my boys.

Sallah

Now that would be something I'd like to see!

#23 reverie

reverie

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,321 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 01:18 PM

QUOTE (bgiles73 @ Oct 6 2009, 02:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Awesome news indeed. I have been waiting for this for a long time. I hope TNG, DS9, VOY and Enterprise 3 3/4" lines will be coming too!

Okay, I lied. If there's DS9, then those would be a must-buy!

#24 knightone

knightone

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 04:27 PM

I was disappointed in the movie line, so I will most likely be skipping most of these releases. However, if they would produce DS9 figures and toys, I would buy those no matter what.

#25 billytrek

billytrek

Toys before the light bill.

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 04:53 PM

Hopefully, they'll do a bit of a better job with the new figs than they did with the movie figs! I mean, they've got to learn from their mistakes, right? I'm talking better paints apps, better sculpting, and better legs (if possible). I'm sure they'll improve if they keep churning new waves out because practice makes ...well, better. Star Wars figs improved a lot over the years. Anyway, I'd be stoked if they actually go through with this and bring back classic Trek. I'm still dying to see the finished Wave 2 product MOC.

Good time to be alive, nonetheless!!!

#26 NickyTea

NickyTea

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 05:42 PM

All my dreams are coming true.   laugh.gif

#27 Nigel

Nigel

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 363 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 07:14 PM

I'm glad most people are happy with this but I can't say it really interests me much. The movie figures they did didn't turn out that good in my opinion. I guess, despite their multitude of flaws, I am more into DST's stuff. If they make a TOS bridge though (a proper one, not a playmat) I would probably buy it.

#28 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 07:33 PM

I see no mention of a 6" line. I wonder if that means that Playmates will stick exclusively with 3 3/4" Trek. Maybe DST will be able to get a shot at the new movie license in the 7" scale if there is a sharing of the license. That way we all end up in a win- win situation!

#29 Alex

Alex

• Members
  • 926 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 12:44 PM

QUOTE (bgiles73 @ Oct 6 2009, 07:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I see no mention of a 6" line. I wonder if that means that Playmates will stick exclusively with 3 3/4" Trek. Maybe DST will be able to get a shot at the new movie license in the 7" scale if there is a sharing of the license. That way we all end up in a win- win situation!

Hmm... this seems highly plausible actually. I'll be honest, I won't be picking up the Playmates 3.75" TOS line just as I didn't pick up their movie line. However, if they somehow managed to get their hands on VOY, I'd be all over that since DST's VOY line seems to be DOA.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't DST hold the rights to all Trek toys prior to the "new" film, while Playmates only holds the rights to items from the new film? I believe Playmates would've had to go through DST to get their hands on the TOS license, right? I think that the following might be what happened:

- DST sees a market for 3.75" TOS figures, but they really don't want to touch this scale for anything beyond their "MEGO retro" figures; besides, they know collectors chewed out ArtAsylum for switching from 4.5" figures to 7" figures, and they know that people were aggravated when Playmates went with a 6" line rather than a 7" "DST compatible" line
- Playmates is chomping at the bit to do TOS figures; they already have a head-sculpt for "old spock," but they lack the rights to anything other than the new film
- DST is chomping at the bit to do figures from the "new" film, they're kicking themselves for not grabbing the license and allowing the "Enterprise" license to cloud their judgment; what's more they really REALLY want to unload the work for the somewhat in-demand 3.75" scale onto a company that can do the legwork for them; DST contacts Playmates, or Playmates contacts DST, and the two begin working out some sort of deal

I think Playmates and DST very well might be sharing the license now bgiles73; DST wants the rights to do toys from JJ-Trek, and Playmates wants the rights to do TOS figures. If Playmates gets the rights to 3.75" TOS figures in exchange for giving DST the rights to 7" JJ-Trek movie figures, both companies win, and that means that fans win as well. Even if DST did a 3.75" line, it wouldn't look right next to the Playmates line, and even if Playmates did 7" figures, they'd look out of place next to DST's figures; the "logical" move here is to cross-license.

Now the question is, was DST smart enough to secure the rights to the new Trek movie's 7" figures if they're letting Playmates eat away at the TOS line, and if so, when will DST announce that they've secured said rights. Another question would be if DST managed to do any bargaining in the realm of ships. I know that DST has said that they want to "take a crack" at the JJ-prise, and I know that a lot of people weren't happy with the shortcomings of the Playmates version; myself included. (This is honestly why I didn't pick one up initially and am now going nuts trying to find one in good condition.) I could see DST potentially licensing out the rights to Playmates to reissue their old TOS Enterprise as a "retro" item, and Playmates allowing DST to do a version of the JJ-Prise as a "collectors" item. This seems like a pretty fair trade-off. (Besides, I'm pretty sure DST is running out of ways to milk their TOS Enterprise mold; short of changing its registry number, I think they've done every variant in existence thus far.)

I really hope that DST got something in exchange for this deal, and that they announce it soon. As for Playmates getting the 3.75" scale, I'm pretty much with BadBunnyMike on how I feel about it, but I think it fits in well with the "new" film, so hopefully this is the "everybody wins" deal that we've all been hoping for.

#30 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 01:18 PM

QUOTE (Alex @ Oct 7 2009, 01:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
- DST sees a market for 3.75" TOS figures, but they really don't want to touch this scale for anything beyond their "MEGO retro" figures; besides, they know collectors chewed out ArtAsylum for switching from 4.5" figures to 7" figures, and they know that people were aggravated when Playmates went with a 6" line rather than a 7" "DST compatible" line
- Playmates is chomping at the bit to do TOS figures; they already have a head-sculpt for "old spock," but they lack the rights to anything other than the new film
- DST is chomping at the bit to do figures from the "new" film, they're kicking themselves for not grabbing the license and allowing the "Enterprise" license to cloud their judgment; what's more they really REALLY want to unload the work for the somewhat in-demand 3.75" scale onto a company that can do the legwork for them; DST contacts Playmates, or Playmates contacts DST, and the two begin working out some sort of deal

I think Playmates and DST very well might be sharing the license now bgiles73; DST wants the rights to do toys from JJ-Trek, and Playmates wants the rights to do TOS figures. If Playmates gets the rights to 3.75" TOS figures in exchange for giving DST the rights to 7" JJ-Trek movie figures, both companies win, and that means that fans win as well. Even if DST did a 3.75" line, it wouldn't look right next to the Playmates line, and even if Playmates did 7" figures, they'd look out of place next to DST's figures; the "logical" move here is to cross-license.

I was pretty much thinking the same thing. This sentence from their press release makes me think that they have someone else doing the design work while they are doing the distribution, marketing and factory work
These figures will be highly detailed with authentic life-like likenesses and feature over 16 points of articulation
.. Who better to do the design work than DST who already have lots of work done on TOS as it is. IN the last couple of Q&A's DST has "skirted" the question of 3 3/4" figures like only DST can. Which makes me believe that they were working out some sort of deal. It wouldnt be the first time DST/AA have partnered with another company to get something new out.

#31 Jedigreedo

Jedigreedo

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 03:04 PM

Whether or not they're working with DST, I'm quite curious if they'll get to release a clasic version of the Enterprise themselves. If they are, would they simply rerelease DST's version? Or, would they make their own no matter what? I'm very interested on getting more answers, why must Toy Fair be so far away. >_<

I'm a bit surprised that they have been given the opportunity for this, though, as their current line isn't selling well. Even at discounted prices they're piling up in the few stores around here that carried them... That will most likely since the DVD hits during the Christmas season, of course, but that seems a little extreme to wait for since the figures have sat around for months.

Overall, though, I hope this does bring more support for Trek so DST can get out of the rut and get back into releasing more varieties of Trekkie goodness. Wonder how long these will take to get out, though.

#32 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 04:28 PM

The question is if DST is making 3 3/4" figures in cooperation with Playmates will any of the "haters" out there give these a chance? I have always prefered the 3 3/4" scale over any other scale! I'm an old school figure collector that grew up on Star Wars and GI Joe both in this scale. So its definately a welcome addition to my collection.

#33 knightone

knightone

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 06:33 PM

QUOTE (bgiles73 @ Oct 7 2009, 05:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The question is if DST is making 3 3/4" figures in cooperation with Playmates will any of the "haters" out there give these a chance? I have always prefered the 3 3/4" scale over any other scale! I'm an old school figure collector that grew up on Star Wars and GI Joe both in this scale. So its definately a welcome addition to my collection.

If AA does the sculpting, then I would give the PM line another chance. I love the AA and DST sculpts, hated the sculpt and styling of the PM line, both old and new.

#34 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 04:41 AM

As with anything, I'll wait till I can actually see the product and let it speak for its self, but I remain a skeptic where Playmates is concerned.

#35 Alex

Alex

• Members
  • 926 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 04:03 PM

Agreed with Gothneo over here. I want to see these before I buy them. I was considering the Galaxy line from the movie but without the bridge mat, it was a deal breaker in my book; besides, I'm not a big fan of the 3.75" scale. I mean, I have friends who want the new Kamen Rider Dragon Knight figures in that scale, and I admittedly wouldn't mind having one of the figures from said line, but none of us are going to pay $15 for a 3.75" figure, which is what they're retailing for. If the TOS figures wind up being priced in the same range, forget about it--if I'm going to pay $15 for a figure, it'd better come loaded with extras, especially in that scale. If Playmates is reasonable and I like the line, I'll consider it. Besides, if this sends DST back to producing TNG and DS9 stuff (like their entire line for this year that disappeared,) then I welcome it. Again, my purchase will be based on quality, and I wasn't impressed with many of the movie figures, Spock being an odd exception.

As far as DST doing the sculps and Playmates handling the distribution, that wouldn't surprise me. Back in the '90s, Playmates used to use Art Asylum to sculpt their hyper-realistic 12" line, so Playmates contracting out DST wouldn't surprise me in the slightest. I just hope DST "contracted out Playmates" so that they can do Trek XI figures in the 7" scale and take a shot at the new movie Enterprise.

Finally, as far as ships go, I really hope DST didn't give Playmates the rights to do a new mold for the 1701; it'd be pointless. The 1701 DST has is fine when they actually bother to handle quality control on it, which seems to be its biggest problem. If Playmates is going to do a TOS ship, they should reissue their original TOS Enterprise as a retro item, which DST should allow since it clearly won't cut into their market for as many variants as possible of the TOS Enterprise. Likewise, if DST is going to do a 1701 from the new movie, I welcome that because Playmates' ship left a lot to be desired in virtually every department. I also think a lot of people want a more "screen accurate" 1701 from Trek XI, and this wouldn't eat into Playmates' profits. If we do see Playmates and DST cross-license ships, I'd like to see Playmates' old stuff in a "retro" line, and DST doing ships from the new movie; maybe we'd get the Kelvin in the size we're all clamoring for. wink.gif

In any case, let's hope these figures are decent, again, I'm not really a fan of the 3.75" scale, but if it's good, I'll give it a chance.

#36 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 11:45 AM

Could it be that all our prayers have finally been answered? DST and Playmates collaboration? From the new AA Q&A:

DevilDog Doyle
With the announcement of Playmates Toys

#37 reverie

reverie

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,321 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 12:13 PM

QUOTE (bgiles73 @ Oct 19 2009, 01:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Could it be that all our prayers have finally been answered? DST and Playmates collaboration?

I hate to say, but when I see the words "Star Trek" and "DST" together, all that means to me is product we'll never see released. sad.gif But if these were to reach stores, it sounds very interesting indeed..

Actually, I'd be saddened a bit because like someone else here said, it just seems like it'd be another distraction on the way to more 24th century stuff.

#38 Prometheus

Prometheus

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 01:52 PM

QUOTE (bgiles73 @ Oct 19 2009, 01:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Could it be that all our prayers have finally been answered? DST and Playmates collaboration? From the new AA Q&A:

DevilDog Doyle
With the announcement of Playmates Toys

#39 sallah

sallah

Herbert.

• Members
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 01:57 PM

QUOTE (Prometheus @ Oct 19 2009, 02:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just read this on AAs website ....Please, Please, Please let DST and Playmates join forces !!! DST has the awesome sculpts and ships etc and Playmates has the mass production ability and quality control !!!! Imagine if we got 3 ships a year !!!!

I just came here to post this! If this turns out to be the way things go... this line will be a dream come true for me!

Sallah

#40 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 02:29 PM

Yeah according to someof Chucks other answers it does look like dst will be teaming up for these. What awesome news.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users