original playmates bridge

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#21 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 30 May 2009 - 05:36 PM

I may go as far as to say one of the top 5 plasets ever made. The only better ones come from the GIJoe series specifically the TerrorDrome.

#22 sallah

sallah

Herbert.

• Members
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 12:08 PM

Sigh...every time I see this playset it makes me long for the unproduced original series bridge palyset. Man I wanted that thing...

Sallah

#23 Matty-lad

Matty-lad

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 01:11 PM

QUOTE (sallah @ Jun 2 2009, 07:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sigh...every time I see this playset it makes me long for the unproduced original series bridge palyset. Man I wanted that thing...

Sallah

Yeah, you and me both, mate.

Take care,
Matty-lad

#24 sallah

sallah

Herbert.

• Members
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 01:14 PM

QUOTE (Matty-lad @ Jun 2 2009, 02:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Take care,
Matty-lad

It actually looks bigger than the TNG Bridge playset in the proto pics too. I wonder who has the proto?

Sallah

#25 pawpal

pawpal

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 01:34 PM

I still think the TNG Bridge playset is fantastic! Attach the Engineering playset and double the fun!!!

#26 JonWes

JonWes

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 03:28 PM

Is there a proto pic of the Classic bridge online somewhere? I've always wanted to see it.

#27 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 03:34 PM

QUOTE (sallah @ Jun 2 2009, 12:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It actually looks bigger than the TNG Bridge playset in the proto pics too. I wonder who has the proto?

Sallah

I read somewhere that Rick from NFC had gotten a lot of the Prototype stuff from Mara Hart at Playmates back in the day, for his personal collection but then I think he sold them to a collector. I don't think he woulda got the bridge though. I want the prototype for the Galor Class Ship and Romulan Phaser they were going to do.

And as for the Classic bridge looking bigger, it probably was because it was able to fold up into itslef, like the Mego playset does.

#28 sallah

sallah

Herbert.

• Members
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 04:04 PM

QUOTE (JonWes @ Jun 2 2009, 04:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is there a proto pic of the Classic bridge online somewhere? I've always wanted to see it.

Yeah, there's some at the New Force reference site...

http://www.newforcec...f/nevertoys.htm

So awesome...

Sallah

#29 JonWes

JonWes

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 05:58 PM

Thanks!

That page made me sad!

I didn't realize half those items were going to be released. I do remember some of them - like the Flight Simulator. But I didn't realize the Marauder, Cardassian ship and Kazon ship were planned. I'd have loved them all! The phaser rifle too. Sigh.

But I will say the TOS Bridge looks amazing. It's a clever idea too, with the way it folds up.

#30 sallah

sallah

Herbert.

• Members
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 07:13 PM

QUOTE (JonWes @ Jun 2 2009, 05:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But I will say the TOS Bridge looks amazing. It's a clever idea too, with the way it folds up.

I remember seeing pics of it in one of the toy mags way back when and getting super excited about it just to have it never show up in stores... That was back in the days when you didn't have announcements through the internet on cancelled products. You just waited and waited for something to show up and when it didn't you eventually knew it wasn't coming out. Nowadays it seems like we get word on cancelled products all the time wink.gif

Sallah

#31 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 02 June 2009 - 07:24 PM

I wonder how much stuff "back in the day" was planned and never put out, shown in in toy ads, or shown at other events. There could be still mysterious Trek figures floating in somebodies mind that never came to fruition. Ignorance truly is bliss!

#32 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 07:43 PM

That TOS playmates bridge was really sweet. I would love to get ahold of that one. I remember back when TNG first came out in 87 when Galoob was making figures that a 1701 D playset was planned for the figures as well as some diarama's like sickbay were announced but never saw the light of day. I looked for those forever before i found out through some magazine that they were canceled. Those days before the internet remind me of TWOK, "Hours can seem like days" but it was for us "Days can seem like months,or years" when waiting for info in the mail or from magazines.

#33 Racer_X

Racer_X

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 08:48 PM

Yes, but there was something exciting about the thrill of the hunt, going to the local stores to see if the latest items had been released. Yes, it was a pain, but it was also fun. And sometimes, there was a surprise, such as the time I went into Toys R Us in 1996 and discovered that Playmates had released a Motion Picture phaser. "Whoa, where did that come from?" I had no idea it was coming out. Pretty cool. Nowadays, all you have to do is sit down and search online. Sure, it's cheaper, but it takes some of the excitement out of the whole experience.

#34 weyoun_9

weyoun_9

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 433 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 10:42 AM

I used to take buses and plan Saturday mornings to search. There was a Toys R Us right by the mall with the Spencers. I also introduced myself to the Spencers owner and she would hold thing for me when they arrived. I had no idea the TOS bridge was on their short list. That would have been great! It looks great, too.

I think it would be fun to see the lists of all the ideas that crossed their lists...and AA/DST's for that matter...to get a better feeling for how their processes work and how things get selected and narrowed down in a universe this diverse. Fun stuff!

#35 Smitty

Smitty

Newforce is my home page.

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 06:14 PM

QUOTE (Matty-lad @ Jun 2 2009, 02:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Take care,
Matty-lad
Me three!

And sallah here's a small pic http://www.newforcec...f/nevertoys.htm

Now some will say that the configuration is more like the movie era bridge! To that I say "I don't give a flying fornication!"

-cs

#36 Artistix

Artistix

Trek Toy.com Member of the Month Feb 2010

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 06:51 PM

I'd definately take it for that price.

I recall getting the Bridge playset in 1995 at a Star Trek convention for $150AU. The first Trek convention I ever went to.

I asked at one of the dealer tables if they had the Bridge & she had one mint Bridge hidden under her table!!

I carried it around for about 2 hours, hoping some crazy Trek fan wouldn't bowl me over & steal it! biggrin.gif

#37 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 08:03 PM

QUOTE (Artistix @ Jun 10 2009, 08:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd definately take it for that price.

I recall getting the Bridge playset in 1995 at a Star Trek convention for $150AU. The first Trek convention I ever went to.

I asked at one of the dealer tables if they had the Bridge & she had one mint Bridge hidden under her table!!

I carried it around for about 2 hours, hoping some crazy Trek fan wouldn't bowl me over & steal it! biggrin.gif

I hate to say what Ensign Ro appears to be doing to herself at the Helm station. Its a shame those figures dont sit better than that.

#38 Smitty

Smitty

Newforce is my home page.

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 10:00 PM

Oh the dreaded V crotches!

Standing fantastic sitting they look like the were in the lotus position!

-cs

#39 Kyle_C_Haight

Kyle_C_Haight

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 02:35 AM

Hello, all. This is my first post to the board, so, allow me to share with you a photo of my Enterprise-D bridge. I've had this since I was probably seven years old, got it when it was new, and it's still held together pretty well over the years. I've since lost the connector pieces to the tops of the walls, but, some masking tape holds her together well enough.

Sorry for the bad lighting, but, all I had to light it with was a desktop lamp and shoot with a cell phone camera. Pictured are Captain Picard, Commander Riker, Counselor Troi, Data, Dr. Crusher, Cadet Wesley, Lt. Worf, Tasha Yar (from the 1701 triple pack set, not the rare one), Dr. Pulaski (shooting daggers at Beverly from across the bridge wink.gif), Barclay, O'Brien, Geordi, Ensign Ro, Guinan, and Q. The only thing I really want to fix is to get a duty uniform version of Picard; the one I have on the bridge is the 1st season version.

And just for kicks, here's the engineering room next to it, with Picard and Data in their "Generations" garb with Captain Scotty checking out the warp core.

#40 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 05:50 AM

QUOTE (Kyle_C_Haight @ Jun 13 2009, 04:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sorry for the bad lighting

Welcome to the board. Your lighting reminded me of the shodowy lighing of the Enterprise D on the Generations movie. Nice pics.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users