Photo

Got a couple of the 3 & 3/4" figures a little early!

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#81 NickyTea

NickyTea

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 02:51 PM

I got over it by not buying them.
No idea why they included them in the first line.

#82 knightone

knightone

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 03:37 PM

QUOTE (JonWes @ Apr 18 2009, 09:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I do hope they branch out more if we get Wave 3. Slightly annoyed if we get 3 Kirks and 2 Spocks in one wave.

I know this is an oft repeated complaint, but I think that is just the reality with any TOS related line. Kirk and Spock are always going to be the focus when it comes to anything related to Trek.

#83 JonWes

JonWes

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 04:17 PM

QUOTE (knightone @ Apr 18 2009, 04:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I know this is an oft repeated complaint, but I think that is just the reality with any TOS related line. Kirk and Spock are always going to be the focus when it comes to anything related to Trek.

Yeah, and I'm fine with that, but one of the pluses of a smaller scale is the idea that maybe you can release some of the more background characters. I think having these as the first two waves is fine.... but if they do more waves they're going to have to branch out just because most of the major variants have already been done.

#84 Smitty

Smitty

Newforce is my home page.

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 05:47 PM

QUOTE (VulcanFanatic @ Apr 18 2009, 09:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I like getting two more Spocks! And a Sarek? I hope one of the TBD's is a Amanda. Wonder what a Poloarilla is? A frozen planet gorilla? Maybe a cold climate Mugatu?

Or a polo playing gorilla!

Could it be the creature Kirk runs into on Delta Vega?

-cs

#85 knightone

knightone

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 07:25 PM

QUOTE (JonWes @ Apr 18 2009, 05:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, and I'm fine with that, but one of the pluses of a smaller scale is the idea that maybe you can release some of the more background characters. I think having these as the first two waves is fine.... but if they do more waves they're going to have to branch out just because most of the major variants have already been done.

It still costs them basically the same to sculpt the more obscure characters, even at this scale. So, if they know they will sell more Kirks and Spocks, they will make more to offset the cost of making the more obscure or less popular characters that won't sell as well. It's not size that determines the majority of the cost, it's quantity.

So look at it this way, if it were a specialty line, you'd only get one or two figures above the Kirks and Spocks. Here you are getting five or six more. It's like DST said in the Q&A: Don't think of Kirk or Spock taking the place of some other figure. Kirk and Spock are making it possible to make the other figures. Even though this line is being made and sold on a larger scale, the realities of the business are still the same.

#86 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 18 April 2009 - 08:27 PM

I like having more Kirks/Spocks only if they are plausible costume changes in the movie. As long as we dont get any Smash Blade Kirk's (MOTU joke) we'll be fine. I also like the secondary figures we see too.

#87 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • Interests:"Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?"

Posted 18 April 2009 - 09:57 PM

I'm hoping we will get Bar fight Kirk and McCoy in civies from his and Kirk's first meeting. The crew from the Kelvin would be nice too! Definately gotta have some Orion babes and more of Nero's crew and other aliens as well!

#88 JonWes

JonWes

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 08:15 PM

QUOTE (knightone @ Apr 18 2009, 08:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It still costs them basically the same to sculpt the more obscure characters, even at this scale. So, if they know they will sell more Kirks and Spocks, they will make more to offset the cost of making the more obscure or less popular characters that won't sell as well. It's not size that determines the majority of the cost, it's quantity.

So look at it this way, if it were a specialty line, you'd only get one or two figures above the Kirks and Spocks. Here you are getting five or six more. It's like DST said in the Q&A: Don't think of Kirk or Spock taking the place of some other figure. Kirk and Spock are making it possible to make the other figures. Even though this line is being made and sold on a larger scale, the realities of the business are still the same.

I think you might be misunderstanding me (or more probably I'm explaining badly). What I'm saying is after this wave there aren't going to BE many more variants left in the movie (that we know about)... Unless they start putting everyone is space suits or something like that (basically just swapping bodies whether they appear in those outfits in the movie or not) they're going to have to start branching out if they really have 4 waves planned... unless they will just re-release some of the first wave. I'm not surprised that they are releasing multiple Kirks and Spocks... just surprised if they are all in the same wave. I'm thinking this list... if it turns out to be true.... includes figures from both Waves 2 and 3.

Also, while it does cost the same to sculpt no matter what the scale (although alien Enterprise crew members might just be a head and hand sculpt since they use the same basic body), the material and cost is lower so they take more risk. You're not going to see background alien #3 in the 12'' line, for instance, but you could very well see it in the 3.75'' scale. There's less of a risk because the actual item costs less. Also, it's generally thought that kids are drawn to aliens more then humans in lines like this... so I'm a little surprised there aren't more in there at the start, but I think part of that might have to do with the reference that was available at the time. They're always going to keep a version of Kirk and Spock in every wave... that makes sense... but I'd be very surprised if the line lasts if you don't start seeing more background characters mixed in with the main crew in wave 3.

#89 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 20 April 2009 - 02:02 PM

Stores generally arent as upset with minor charcaters taking up shelf space either. If you have a 12" character that doesnt sell...only a few take up enormous amounts of room. On the flipside if you have a 3 3/4" figure that doesnt sell....they can sit there forever. case in point: Star Wars erecent offerings of various cantina aliens. A lot just sit there for ages but eventually sell due to rarity later on. In Walmarts case they dont ever put them on clearance because they take next to no room and can be just mixed in with the new waves. For bigger figures thats really hard to do.

#90 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 07:05 PM

Target.com has 10pc sets of the 3 3/4" figures and the 6" on their website, free shipping and it ships within 24hrs for those who didnt order from newforce or cant find them at your local stores. They also have the 12" figures for sale too!Target Star Trek

#91 Smitty

Smitty

Newforce is my home page.

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 03:56 PM

I've worked out my figure buying strategy.

Every trip to the store I'll get 3in and 6in versions of one character, started today with Uhura.

I'm thinking of an Uhura display on my shelf...

-cs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users