Photo

Got a couple of the 3 & 3/4" figures a little early!

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#41 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 05:42 PM

I checked the Wilmington and Jacksonville, NC stores and they were both pretty much fully stocked with all of the playmates Star Trek stuff. I noticed that there were no 3 3/4 " Nero figures though. There were 6" Nero figures however, and as far as i could tell every other figure was there, at least two of each at one store, and at least 3 or 4 of each at the other store. So far i am pleased to see all of the stuff, but i am not buying more than just the Spocks until i see the movie and like it. I have a feeling there is not going to be any shortage of these figures in stores unless the Nero figures ends up being packed only 1 to a case or something stupid like that.

#42 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 07:30 PM

I bought extra 6" and 3 3/4" Spocks to open today and i just opened them up, and i have to say that i really like them. The 3 3/4" figures have really good articulation and detail for the size the figures are. They remind me more of the mego STTMP figures, only better detail, articulation and good accessories. The paint apps on the 3 3/4" figures is not 100% great on all of them, but i think they are great little figures. For those that havent seen these in person, they are a lot smaller than Playmates previous Star Trek figures. As i mentioned before, these are the same size as the Mego STTMP figures. The 6" figures are great too, they have a rubbery, flexible material on the torso that helps with posing and there is a lot of articulation points. I can see buying the rest of the Star Trek figures and the playsets when the movie comes out because they just look so neat! I havent opened my two 12" Spocks yet, i may go and buy some openers of them next week.

#43 New Frontier

New Frontier

I know FHC by name.

• Suspended
  • 585 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek: The Original Series <br />Graphic Design <br />Star Trek 2009 <br />Model Making <br /><br />

Posted 10 April 2009 - 07:46 PM

so the 3 3/4 scale compared to Hasbro's SW and Indiana Jones line - do they look good together?

#44 Hermey the Elf

Hermey the Elf

Lives in the city on the edge of forever

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 08:48 PM

I went out to TRU tonight and they had the whole kit and kaboodle. I ordered everything from Rick, so I didn't buy anything. I liked the 6" much more than the 3.75" and the 12" figures are incredible! BTW, I, too noticed no 3.75" Nero at TRU (only 6").

#45 reverie

reverie

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,321 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 10:20 PM

QUOTE (Hermey the Elf @ Apr 10 2009, 05:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Reverie, nice photos. Thanks. Looks like you gonna have some fun this weekend playing with your new toys. spock2.gif

Thank you. smile.gif I actually haven't decided what's to become of them.. space is at a premium, and they could land up boxed up for the time being! I'm looking forward to getting the 3 3/4" ones from Rick now.

And flw, I'm not sure where exactly you are, but I was just at the WalMart in Woodhaven, and they've got a bunch of ships on an end cap right now.

#46 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 10:52 PM

I like ordering from Newforce and the idea of getting a whole set without having to go looking for them might be a good idea, but having to wait maybe 2 or 3 more weeks to get them from Rick when you can just drive down to the store and get them is probably hard for some here to do. The other issue is that if you go to the store, you can pick out the ones with the good paint apps, but getting a whole set from an internet source may get you a few less than desirable figures with bad paint apps. Dont know what the story is with the Nero, i believe Rick will have a complete set, so those who want a Nero might have to go that route.

#47 JonWes

JonWes

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 11:00 PM

Okay, I officially love the 3.75'' figures. They are SO much fun. And you really get a lot of value with all the accessories. I'm amazed at how much articulation these guys have and how well they are worked into the figure. The one iffy part are the hip articulation. They do look a little weird because they have to fall below the longer shirt which makes the figures look fine while standing but when they're sitting the torso looks weirdly extended. But that's just a compromise you'd have to make in order for the uniforms to look accurate. I am a little sad there's no way Uhura is ever sitting down but they did try to make the skirt of soft matterial. So she could kind of lean. Her legs are well articulated.

But anyway... They're so much fun! They are VERY poseable. I love how they painted the communicator onto the utility belt. I actually thought it might be removable at first. LOL. I also think they did a GREAT job of the likenesses. Especially for this scale. It's funny how much they managed to catch the actors. The only one that's semi-iffy to me is the Captain Kirk but even that's not bad. There are ton of interesting little touches - the gray in Captain Pike's hair and Uhura's nail polish. The detailing is very nice too - the pants and boots look especially nice.

As far as accessories, they all get a phaser and holster except Nero who gets his staff and disruptor. Only poor Spock is left with just his alternate hand. I can understand him not having much in the way of accessories, I guess. The bonus bridge/transporter pieces are cool. I find the transporter pieces a wee bit funny as they really look like something that should be included in the Transporter toy box! But oh well. The Bridge will be fun to collect and put together. We've got a ways to go though since we only get 7 pieces with this wave! I guess is Wave 2 is 10 figures we'll be nearly there. I do see the Bridge being hard to maintain though. Kids are going to be knocking these stations over like crazy during play. I do wish the pieces that formed 1 section A.) snapped together like the Transporter pieces and B.) had stickers that lined up better at the edge.

All in all though, I'm really liking this line. I'm sorely tempted by the 6'' line now... but I really do have to limit myself. I have more pics and discuss the Enterprise in the Enterprise pic thread btw.

The poses you can put them are great. Love they come with stands. I actually was annoyed by the tab on the back as they didn't sit flat... until I realized the tab was removable!

Spock ready for action!

Chekov, Scotty and Pike are some of my favorite likenesses in the line.

The troika

A crossover with some of my old (and rather battered) childhood friends

#48 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • Interests:"Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?"

Posted 10 April 2009 - 11:14 PM

Wow, I'm really liking the looks of these 3 3/4" figures! I have all those old Galoob figures you have there. It's cool to see how these compare in size. I hope someone, DST or Playmates goes and does 3 3/4" versions of TNG and the rest. I don't see why people are so against that scale! I haven't had any luck finding the new Playmates figures out here where I live, but I will definately do more searching tomorrow!

#49 Hermey the Elf

Hermey the Elf

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 11:32 PM

Awesome pix, JonWes. Thanks for posting.

#50 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 04:29 AM

QUOTE (VulcanFanatic @ Apr 10 2009, 11:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I like ordering from Newforce and the idea of getting a whole set without having to go looking for them might be a good idea, but having to wait maybe 2 or 3 more weeks to get them from Rick when you can just drive down to the store and get them is probably hard for some here to do. The other issue is that if you go to the store, you can pick out the ones with the good paint apps, but getting a whole set from an internet source may get you a few less than desirable figures with bad paint apps. Dont know what the story is with the Nero, i believe Rick will have a complete set, so those who want a Nero might have to go that route.

Well, I can only speak for me but Rick has found me items many times that I wanted and helped a great deal of collectors as a whole. I know in order to offer this to collectors as a group he had to buy a large amount that he could maybe get stuck with. Yes I could drive 80 miles round trip and take a chance that they would all be there, but this, for me, is a chance to pay him back a tiny bit for all the times that he got me something that I could not get elsewhere. Not to mention, that the figures, ships, ect.. are all going to just show up at the old door. If a paint ap is really bad, Rick has always worked with us, sometimes at his cost.

The new figures do look great except for Kirk's face it seems, LOL following a long long long tradition of not being able to capture a true likeness to Kirk. smile.gif Spock looks great!

I want to add those are really great photos!!

#51 flw

flw

Tracking number maniac

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 06:04 AM

QUOTE (reverie @ Apr 11 2009, 12:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thank you. smile.gif I actually haven't decided what's to become of them.. space is at a premium, and they could land up boxed up for the time being! I'm looking forward to getting the 3 3/4" ones from Rick now.

And flw, I'm not sure where exactly you are, but I was just at the WalMart in Woodhaven, and they've got a bunch of ships on an end cap right now.

Thanks for the info, Reverie - actually, I'm a lot closer to Pontiac, so it would be a bit of a drive for me. I might not be able to resist, though!! Glad to see your photos - the figures look great! I might have to pick up some of those too! smile.gif

#52 gibbspaulus

gibbspaulus

Tracking number maniac

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 08:30 AM

QUOTE (JonWes @ Apr 11 2009, 06:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Okay, I officially love the 3.75'' figures. They are SO much fun. And you really get a lot of value with all the accessories. I'm amazed at how much articulation these guys have and how well they are worked .....

House, HOUSE!!!!!

JonWes is stalking me with Trek photos across the net!!!

#53 JonWes

JonWes

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 09:38 AM

QUOTE (FHC @ Apr 11 2009, 05:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, I can only speak for me but Rick has found me items many times that I wanted and helped a great deal of collectors as a whole. I know in order to offer this to collectors as a group he had to buy a large amount that he could maybe get stuck with. Yes I could drive 80 miles round trip and take a chance that they would all be there, but this, for me, is a chance to pay him back a tiny bit for all the times that he got me something that I could not get elsewhere. Not to mention, that the figures, ships, ect.. are all going to just show up at the old door. If a paint ap is really bad, Rick has always worked with us, sometimes at his cost.

The new figures do look great except for Kirk's face it seems, LOL following a long long long tradition of not being able to capture a true likeness to Kirk. smile.gif Spock looks great!

I want to add those are really great photos!!

Thanks FHC. About the pre-ordering versus getting the figures in-store... I will say that I didn't order from New Force (I pre-ordered before I started posting here and heard about them to be honest) and it's great to hear that if you get a way messed up paint app they'd work with you. Wasn't so sure about my own pre-order place. I'm all for giving money to smaller collector-friendly retailers rather than Wal-Mart! To me if you can do that and not worry about getting bum paint apps then I think it's great. As much as I love the figures, some of the paint apps were SCARY. I mean, maybe we got a bad batch here, but out of maybe... 5-6 McCoy's they had there to choose from 3 of them were cross eyed. Only the one I got really looked right to me. So it's not going to help an online retailer (remember when they tried to call them e-tailers?) if they accept a lot of returns on messy figures either. All that being said, I think I'm probably WAY more picky then some people will be. There's been plenty of times when I was slightly annoyed at a figure with paint slop when it arrived and then totally forgot about it later. So I should say that in case I'm over-dramatizing it. And truly there can be cases where a small batch looks worse then the majority.

Oh and gibbspaulus... soon I will be posting these directly into your DREAMS!!! Mwa Ha Ha!

#54 NickyTea

NickyTea

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 10:15 AM

Can anyone tell me what the MSRP is on these figures?
Trying to plan ahead for the big TRU trip. smile.gif

#55 Hermey the Elf

Hermey the Elf

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 10:18 AM

QUOTE (NickyTea @ Apr 11 2009, 12:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Can anyone tell me what the MSRP is on these figures?
Trying to plan ahead for the big TRU trip. smile.gif

I don't know the MSRP, but TRU is charging $6.99 for the 3.75", $9.99 for the 6", and $29.99 for the 12". The phaser, communicator, and tricorder toys were $15.99 each. The Enterprise was $29.99. I don't remember the transporter or bridge playset prices.

#56 NickyTea

NickyTea

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 10:26 AM

QUOTE (Hermey the Elf @ Apr 11 2009, 11:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't know the MSRP, but TRU is charging $6.99 for the 3.75", $9.99 for the 6", and $29.99 for the 12". The phaser, communicator, and tricorder toys were $15.99 each. The Enterprise was $29.99. I don't remember the transporter or bridge playset prices.

Thanks very much. Sounds reasonable. I was expecting 20+ for the phaser.

#57 flw

flw

Tracking number maniac

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 11:21 AM

Okay, so I drove all the way to the Woodhaven Wal-Mart (that's about 35 miles for me, Reverie) - and finally found the ship!! I also got a Capt. Pike 3.75" figure for my 6-year-old as a consolation prize - he really wanted the ship, but I couldn't afford 2 of them (not right now, anyway). Add on to the gas the fact that I got pulled over for going a little over the limit on the way there (first time in 15 years!), and man, that's one expensive toy!! blink.gif Oops!!

Anyway, the Wal-Mart prices are a bit less than at Toys R Us, but not much - about $6.47 for the small figures, $8.97 for the 6-inch. The ship price is the same, and I didn't see any role-play stuff.

The ship, by the way, is a definite improvement over Playmates' stuff from the 90s, but it's still more of a toy than the AA/DST stuff, which is higher quality. You can't beat the price, though - and it looks great next to all the other ships! It's pretty much exactly the same size as the DST TOS Enterprise - I'll try to take comparison pics and post them, probably in the ship thread.

#58 New Frontier

New Frontier

I know FHC by name.

• Suspended
  • 585 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek: The Original Series <br />Graphic Design <br />Star Trek 2009 <br />Model Making <br /><br />

Posted 11 April 2009 - 11:37 AM

lol you bought yourself a toy ship but your 9 year old has to wait lol - a true fan if ever i saw one lol

#59 flw

flw

Tracking number maniac

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 12:14 PM

Yeah, I felt guilty - for, like, 5 seconds! laugh.gif

He'll get one - and in the meantime, the ship is sturdy enough for him to play with it. Good news for all the collectors out there who have little kids in the house. (Aww, who am I kidding? If we buy this stuff in this economy, we're ALL little kids!)

#60 skeletor

skeletor

The card is maxed out.

• Members
  • 272 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 02:02 PM

nobody got the transporter yet? Id like to hear some of the opinions on it before I buy one.
It would look good having it just to display some figures on it, but if only one figure at a time and be "transported" then I think I'll probably pass on it.
especially with the small figures being in the $6.47 range...sorry, but I just think that's too much for a 3.75 figure lol

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users