• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

#121 Jedigreedo

Jedigreedo

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 11:31 AM

Yeah, there is quite a debate over the ship size. I've heard sizes ranging from 600-some meters, to 1200! Insanity.

#122 Thomas E. Johnson

Thomas E. Johnson

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 495 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 08:03 PM

All questions about the Enterprise should be answered next Summer when Haynes releases their 1000 page Tech Manual about the ship. According to Pocket Books, they have signed the contract for the New TM.

#123 FlaBat

FlaBat

Toys before the light bill.

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 08:42 PM

It's a nice Starship, but I still like the older Playmates ones better

If this is the new original Enterprise will the others (i.e. B, C, D and E) also be different? I expect this one to last for at least the next two films

#124 knightone

knightone

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 09:29 PM

There is no guarantee that there will be Enterprises B-E in this new timeline. Everything is different, so who knows what will happen. That's up to future writers of the franchise, should they choose to continue in this universe past Abrams' tenure that is. But, since the starships in this Trek look so much different than the ones from the original timeline, designs for future ships will, presumably, also be different from starships we've seen from the Prime Trek universe.

BTW, ILM recently said they meant for the new Abrams Enterprise to be roughly the same size as the original and refit, give or take a few meters here and there. So the previously released measurements where the Abramsprise was so much larger than the original are wrong. The Playmates movie Enterprise is, therefore, more or less in scale with the DST TOS Enterprise and refit. I'm guessing the new engineering and shuttlebay look so much larger is because a lot of the interior walls and floors from the original are gone. They just designed it with a lot of large, cavernous facilities rather than a bunch of small rooms and areas.

#125 Thomas E. Johnson

Thomas E. Johnson

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 495 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 10:27 PM

According to the ILM guys, the Enterprise is 1,200 feet long. 250 longer than the TOS ship. The large brewery engineering set was the Directors artistic choice, and the shuttle bay shot with multiple shuttles on high bays was a flat out goof by the CG Artists. In the shot where Pike leaves the ship in the shuttle with Kirk, Sulu, and Olsen aboard, the shuttle bay is much smaller, and is the correct intended size. The ILM crew explained all this in a recent interview.

The Playmates ship is 1/1000 scale. The same scale as the Polar Lights 1/1000 TOS Enterprise and Klingon Battlecruiser, and NX-01 model kits.

spock2.gif

#126 knightone

knightone

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 11:24 PM

250 feet? That much? How much wider and taller is it?

#127 Commodore Kor'Tar

Commodore Kor'Tar

The Great Tribble Hunter

• Members
  • 2,415 posts
  • Interests:Playmates figures and ships (90s era), Art Asylum and DST figures and ships , Galoob figures and micro machines .

Posted 30 June 2009 - 11:46 PM

Looking at the refit 1701 and the U.S.S, Abrhamsprise from the side you'll notice that on the refit there are shuttlepod docking ports on the sides . One for engineering and one for the torpedo bay and the same on the opposite side.

On the new Enterprise (2009) it looks to me like there are also something to the effect of docking ports in the same general areas , albeit a smidge smaller . So the take that it is only about 250 feet longer sounds about right to me .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users