65 replies to this topic

#41 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 09:42 AM

QUOTE (pickard @ Jan 19 2009, 10:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You think this is a good figure from other angles, VF? Really?

Not really, but i would like to see it completely from other angles and the rest of the line to give a overall judgement of the line. I dont really like the new movie style uniforms anyway, so regardless how good the sculpt is i still have reservations about buying them. Its a given for me that i will get the Spocks, regardless how bad they look, but the others will not go home with me unless i like them.

#42 pawpal

pawpal

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 09:49 AM

Looking at this pic of Kirk, as well as of the upcoming Terminator Salvation figures, it is readily apparent that Playmates likely hired sculptor(s) who were cheap and inexperienced. Here are two common sculpting mistakes they made:

1) The most obvious in the pic of Kirk - wrong texture scale. At 6" the texture of cloth and other similar materials is usually barely noticeable to the human eye.

2) Incorrect body form/contours - it looks like to save time in the sculpting process they bypassed sculpting of the core nude human body (on top of which clothing would then be sculpted). So thw weight of how clothing draps and hangs onto the body is totally off. Result is a puffy looking figure which form is too straight and stiff.

I highly agree that the work done on Playmates original is far better. They were not realistic per se, but had a certain consistent cartoony aesthetic to the sculpts which I highly enjoy...

#43 QuePaso?

QuePaso?

Newforce is my home page.

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 12:47 PM

Glad I'm not preordering the 6" movie line. Maybe get a couple of them on sale from stores.

I just hope they don't ruin the 3.75" line too.

#44 s8film40

s8film40

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 08:06 PM

I see they have updated the image to say "Final version may vary from what is shown here". Lets hope that is the case.

#45 LocutusOfTuborg

LocutusOfTuborg

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 468 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 03:25 AM

QUOTE (s8film40 @ Jan 20 2009, 03:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I see they have updated the image to say "Final version may vary from what is shown here". Lets hope that is the case.

Hehehehe... you know, how this works... The final product will be worse! wink.gif wink.gif

LoT

#46 pickard

pickard

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 06:25 AM

Probably.

I was going to mention that above when someone pointed out the sloppy paint apps on Indy figures they saw in the toy aisle. Those were production paint apps. This paint we see of Kirk (supposedly) is just as bad (in different ways) and it's the prototype pic.

#47 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 06:41 AM

It makes me think of Ken, as in Ken and Barbie.

#48 knightone

knightone

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 12:40 PM

Yeah. If they can't get a carefully hand painted prototype right, an assembly line painted figure will be awful.

#49 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • Interests:"Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?"

Posted 20 January 2009 - 12:46 PM

Someone left a message at trekmovie.com calling the figure "Kirk on the Cobb" ! I gotta admit they definately called that one right. LOL! I still want these figures too, dammit I hope Playmates at least does something about that shirt texture.

#50 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 20 January 2009 - 01:09 PM

i can deal with everything else but that texture is a deal breaker in my mind.

#51 reverie

reverie

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,321 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 01:25 PM

QUOTE (bgiles73 @ Jan 20 2009, 01:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Someone left a message at trekmovie.com calling the figure "Kirk on the Cobb" !

huh.gif

Sorry, couldn't resist! tongue.gif

#52 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 01:33 PM

I put my order in for these weeks ago so I would hope for the best. One funny thought is, your Chris Pine and you are about to get your very own action figure, you've made it, you get a case of them and you pull one out to show your mom, she looks right at it, and she says "who's that?" because it looks nothing like you! LOL

#53 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 20 January 2009 - 01:37 PM

In todays age of digital scanning, that is really unacceptable for one's mother not to be able to recognize you!!

#54 s8film40

s8film40

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 02:08 PM

QUOTE (TheHSBR @ Jan 20 2009, 02:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In todays age of digital scanning, that is really unacceptable for one's mother not to be able to recognize you!!

Well if this is the best they can do they would be better off digitally scanning their old Kirk and making a 6" figure from that.

#55 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 05:12 AM

Click here

http://www.wizarduni...rtrekmovie.html

#56 Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 432 posts
  • Interests:Props, uniforms, 9&quot; clothed figures

Posted 22 January 2009 - 05:55 AM

What I'm glad about is that with Playmates at the helm, they might continue their 9" clothed figures again. And that was my favorite line, I liked it even more that the megoes.

#57 pickard

pickard

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 06:45 AM

QUOTE (Cpt. Phil T. Berns @ Jan 22 2009, 06:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What I'm glad about is that with Playmates at the helm, they might continue their 9" clothed figures again. And that was my favorite line, I liked it even more that the megoes.

BERNSIE!!!

#58 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 08:56 AM

I am liking all but the 6" line. The 12" figures realy realy look good. And I am a sucker for 3 3/4" stuff. I had better start saving now. LOL.

#59 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 06:11 PM

QUOTE (Cpt. Phil T. Berns @ Jan 22 2009, 06:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I like it too, i wish they had a 9" line already planned. I have the entire Playmates 9" line from the 90's, its a great part of my collection.

#60 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
  • Interests:Stately playboy by day ... profitable pimp by night. I like to watch movies, listen to music, go out ... friends ... food ... all the essentials of life.

Posted 23 January 2009 - 08:39 PM

You know I am not hating the 6"'ers based on this Hi-res photo by Trekmovie.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users