Photo

Trek XI Figures - First One Finally Shown

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#21 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 08:56 AM

QUOTE (bgiles73 @ Jan 17 2009, 09:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't see these as being Indiana Jones bad.

The Indiana Jones figures even with all thier flaws look better than this. But Indiana Jones did not do a 6" line so you cant realy compare off of this pic. Lets hope the 3 3/4" figures are better. And not as clunky looking.

#22 pickard

pickard

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 09:02 AM

QUOTE (bgiles73 @ Jan 17 2009, 10:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't see these as being Indiana Jones bad.

I've got 20+ Indy figures right next to me as I write this, and not one of them is as bad as that figure. Not even close.
I think I will probably give them a shot. I wish they would have released a picture of the Quinto Spock too, so we could see if the blue shirt blends better with the texturing.

Does it matter? Even if, for some unfathomable reason, blue somehow fixed that awful sculpting, if the gold-shirted figures look that crappy, do you really want to collect the line?
I notice in a lot of the movie stills that the texturing almost seems to dissapear on the blue or red shirts.

That's because it's a subtle element of the pattern. Apparently, Playmates is completely incapable of subtlety.
Maybe the same can be said with the figures. Maybe Kirk knows the Weasley's from Harry Potter, his hair does kind of seem a little red! biggrin.gif

And it looks like Mrs. Weasley knitted the sweater for him! smile.gif

#23 Dilithium1

Dilithium1

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 09:08 AM

QUOTE (FHC @ Jan 18 2009, 08:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
One thing to remember is that New Force is selling the complete (3?) wave sets where the stores will be selling the sets one wave at a time. If the first waves bomb they may not carry the rest of the waves and these last ones might get a bit on the rare side. If that happens, I'll be glad that I went ahead and ordered them all at once. Even the very idea if not having to go back time and time again to chase any of them makes it worth it to me even if the preceding wasn't true.

I actually Really like it. I got the DST reissue Spock and Kirk and was extremely disappointed. I always liked the playmates hard plastic figures as opposed to the rubber like AA stuff. As for the texturing of the shirts; look really closely at the released pictures. The texturing is NOT diamonds. Its all Star Trek Delta symbols. That is why I like it.

In any case, do you know the 3 wave break down that you mention? Are Qunito Spock and Pike in the first wave (those are the ones I really want). Thanks.

#24 pickard

pickard

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 09:17 AM

QUOTE (JMW326 @ Jan 18 2009, 09:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Indiana Jones figures even with all thier flaws look better than this. But Indiana Jones did not do a 6" line so you cant realy compare off of this pic. Lets hope the 3 3/4" figures are better. And not as clunky looking.

I agree completely.

When comparing 6" figures to 3 3/4" figures, the larger figures have an advantage in sculpting and paint. Even with that advantage, this Kirk figure does not compare favorably to the Indy figures.

It's like a 7-footer getting dunked on by a midget!

#25 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 18 January 2009 - 09:36 AM

OMG...seriously that is bad. I was ok after the Terminator release but are they kidding? Are those delta scuplted onto the shirt? Do you scuplt stripes onto a shirt or just paint them on? Thats action figure 101. Add this to the fact that the shirt makes him look 100 heavier than what he is supposed to be. Im cool with the legs and the low knee. the phaser looks kinda cool and the face is decent for a movie line. Wow...I honestly dont know what I want to do here because I have all the stuff on preorder right now. A better way if they absolutely wanted to incorportae the delta would be to scuplt the shirt then apply a meltallic delta pattern that would only shimmer in certain types of light. Bad form Playmates.

#26 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 10:12 AM

I enlarged the picture to get a closer look at the shirt and they did sculpt a million (not so little) deltas into it. This is a bad move IMO. I believe that if they had just had a smooth shirt and painted a patern this figure would have looked a lot better. Here is hoping it is a prototype and the end result looks different. I doubt t though.

#27 s8film40

s8film40

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 10:42 AM

QUOTE (sallah @ Jan 17 2009, 07:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Very disappointing. These look like a major step back from the figures they did in the 90's!

Sallah

That was my first thought too, I was expecting an advancement over the last Playmates line not something worse. I'll have to wait and see how the 3 3/4" line looks since this is the only ones I'm interested in, but if this is any indication it looks like I might be saving a lot of money.

#28 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • Interests:"Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?"

Posted 18 January 2009 - 11:27 AM

QUOTE (pickard @ Jan 18 2009, 04:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've got 20+ Indy figures right next to me as I write this, and not one of them is as bad as that figure. Not even close.

Does it matter? Even if, for some unfathomable reason, blue somehow fixed that awful sculpting, if the gold-shirted figures look that crappy, do you really want to collect the line?

That's because it's a subtle element of the pattern. Apparently, Playmates is completely incapable of subtlety.

And it looks like Mrs. Weasley knitted the sweater for him! smile.gif

I am going to get this line to show support.I'm not so crazy for the way the texture looks in this picture.Maybe if Playmates reads some of the not so fond reviews here and elsewhere, they will subdue that texture pattern. I think we all need to relax a bit. Does anyone know of any place we can leave Playmates toys some civil comments and feedback? A plus in favor is the paint looks good. Kirk's eye isn't on his cheek like some Indy figures I saw back in May! True Hasbro got better on further waves, but it was too little, too late!I certainly don't want to see this or any new endevour go the way of Indy after a few lines. Star Trek is on it's way back mainstream! I was a big fan of the Playmates figures back in thier day and while they weren't perfect they still hold a place in my heart. My only hope is that these will do the same for kids today.

#29 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • Interests:"Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?"

Posted 18 January 2009 - 11:51 AM

I left this at playmatestoys.com. Maybe if they hear from us they can do something before it's too late.

Hello,I am a fan and collector of Playmates past Star Trek figures. I am also enthusiastically awaiting your new Star Trek and Terminator lines. I was just wondering if Playmates Toys has any message boards or other places where fans can get information on coming products and leave feedback. I saw pictures of the new Terminator and Star Trek figures at toynewsi.com and trekmovie.com. While I pretty much liked what I saw I could not get over some other posters who had nothing good to say.Seems alot of the complaints were over the texture patterns sculpted on Kirk's shirt. Many said it looked like a sweater and hoped that it would be toned down a bit on the actual figure release. I definately intend to collect both lines and I look forward to hopefully a long term commitment to both lines.Welcome back to the fold. Live, Long and Prosper!

http://playmatestoys...ontact-us.shtml

#30 s8film40

s8film40

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 01:03 PM

The more I look at this figure the more amazed I am at how bad it is. Maybe it's not real, I don't see anywhere where Toy News say's where they got the photo from or that it officially was released by Playmate. Is it possible maybe someone made this figure and sent the photo to Toy News as a joke. I have seen a lot of customizers with a lot of talent and most could probably do better than this so it seems feasible to me. I mean everything about this figure is really bad it's like they were trying to make it look bad.

#31 Tiberius

Tiberius

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 01:57 PM

basically the patterning is similar to the Spiderman movie costume. Toybiz did not overwhelm the figures with patterning, and I dont think trek should either. small dimples could have better shown the same effect. it is almost like Playmates took the smaller figures, and one (or two) upped the same mould. I think the head should be painted as well, he seems a little pasty, maybe it is all the heat from his sweater causing him to look waxy...

#32 Artistix

Artistix

Trek Toy.com Member of the Month Feb 2010

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 02:45 PM

Oh dear...that's not good. That's not good at all. sad.gif

I'm pretty sure Chris Pine is a blonde, not a redhead.

They were indeed making better figures 15 years ago.

#33 s8film40

s8film40

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 03:01 PM

The face to me looks more like Wesley Crusher.

#34 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 18 January 2009 - 03:08 PM

well hockey's popular in chicago again so maybe it catches back on in Kirks era too with his nice Starfleet Hockey Team sweater!

#35 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 06:37 PM

I dont happen to find this particular figure appealing, and it would take some thought before i would consider buying it, but at the same time i realize that this is meant to be a toy from the movie, not just a collectible like we are used to getting from DST. Remember THIS is Playmates making these figures, not DST, so they are not going to meet the same expectations we have that even DST's stuff sometimes fails on.I would like to see some other angles, as well as the other figures before i make a more final judgement on these figures.

#36 s8film40

s8film40

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 07:21 PM

I think retailers are going to come in monday morning to a lot of cancelled pre-orders. I still think it's fake (I really hope I'm right).

#37 stardust

stardust

Newforce is my home page.

• Members
  • 220 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 07:39 PM

QUOTE (VulcanFanatic @ Jan 18 2009, 06:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I dont happen to find this particular figure appealing, and it would take some thought before i would consider buying it, but at the same time i realize that this is meant to be a toy from the movie, not just a collectible like we are used to getting from DST. Remember THIS is Playmates making these figures, not DST, so they are not going to meet the same expectations we have that even DST's stuff sometimes fails on.

Playmates made some very good Trek figures and most all were much closer or even dead on ie the Doctor or Picard than this new figure is to Chris Pine or the texturing of the new movie tunics.

I hope it is an early prototype and they refined it or at the very least let it be just the misfit of the wave and the others are much better likenesses.

#38 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 07:52 PM

It's the belt that's making me like it! Very Mego!

#39 pickard

pickard

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 09:10 AM

QUOTE (bgiles73 @ Jan 18 2009, 12:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am going to get this line to show support.

Support for what? Shoddy workmanship and poor standards?

Why give money to a company that isn't working to earn it?

If this is the crap that Playmates is giving us, we shouldn't give them our money.

If the line fails but the movie is a success, maybe the next film's toy license will go to a good company who will make figures worthy of our hard-earned cash.

As an example, look at the Harry Potter toys. It took a while, but they finally ended up at Neca, who makes great figures. (They would've been my first choice for this Trek line.)

#40 pickard

pickard

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 09:11 AM

QUOTE (VulcanFanatic @ Jan 18 2009, 07:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I dont happen to find this particular figure appealing, and it would take some thought before i would consider buying it, but at the same time i realize that this is meant to be a toy from the movie, not just a collectible like we are used to getting from DST. Remember THIS is Playmates making these figures, not DST, so they are not going to meet the same expectations we have that even DST's stuff sometimes fails on.

I agree that we shouldn't judge this figure against collectible lines. (Though I'd say that comparing to DST is still keeping the bar pretty low.)

I'm comparing it to Hasbro and Mattel's comparable lines, and even to Playmates' own Trek line from years past, and it still fails in every way.

I would like to see some other angles, as well as the other figures before i make a more final judgement on these figures.

You think this is a good figure from other angles, VF? Really?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users