Photo

Playmates...Terminator Toys as an example of what they can do now.

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 jr1701

jr1701

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 07:28 AM

While I realize that it's not directly Trek...

I stumbled across this:

http://toynewsi.com/...16&itemid=13848

It's Playmates terminator toy line with many of the same sizes as the Trek line will have.
If this is any indication of what Mass Market Trek has to look forward to then I am
much less worried in terms of quality.

Are they perfect? No, but a giant leap for Playmates nonetheless.

Thoughts?

#2 The_Donster

The_Donster

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,198 posts
  • Interests:OMG!! Clearly my hobby is getting away from me at the moment if anyone remembers the pics of my collection on the old AA forum. While mine isn't as focused as Mark's, it's start to rival his, lol. Long answer short, too many to narrow down.

Posted 03 January 2009 - 08:06 AM

Seems like a step back to me. I know these are rough, but I hope the final product looks better than this for Star Trek wink.gif

#3 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
  • Interests:Stately playboy by day ... profitable pimp by night. I like to watch movies, listen to music, go out ... friends ... food ... all the essentials of life.

Posted 03 January 2009 - 08:28 AM

I think we have to keep in mind that the new trek figures aren't going to be a collector's line. These new figures are going to be rightly marketed to the general public so we can expect a 'step backward.' I don't find these figures overly backward though. I think it's most definitely a step forward from our original trek aquisitions from PMs.

#4 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 09:01 AM

I kind of like them. If the Trek figures look like that I will be all for it. Especialy seeing as how most movie figure lines usualy suck so these dont look bad at all.

#5 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • Interests:"Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?"

Posted 03 January 2009 - 09:10 AM

I just noticed these too. I am anxious to see what they do with Trek. The fact that they are using LEDs to light the larger terminator figures eyes shows promise for Trek ships and playsets to use them as well. And hey, I didn't see any V-CROTCHES!!!! Definately a plus!

#6 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 03 January 2009 - 10:54 AM

These really arent that bad. Im not sure which pic is the 3.75" figures but either would be very detailed for that scale. The 6" figures have decent articulation that will probably end up being MORE than the current DST releases. All of the figures also look to have multiple paint colors and even some paint washes. I am still interested to see if the 6" line is going to come with action features and how that affects the line as a whole. If anything after seeing these Im a little more hopeful for Trek. The two biggest concerns that wont be answered until the first photos are relaesed are the likenesses of the figures and how the action features if any affect the figures.

#7 Tiberius

Tiberius

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 01:31 PM

which one was Christian Bale? Oh wait, these were all terminators then? They do look a lot nicer then the original Trek, or Turtles though, and of course they have articulation above the neck...
If the Treks are 6", they might look decent along with the DST's, as they are actually closer to 6" anyway.

#8 The_Donster

The_Donster

• Members
  • 2,198 posts
  • Interests:OMG!! Clearly my hobby is getting away from me at the moment if anyone remembers the pics of my collection on the old AA forum. While mine isn't as focused as Mark's, it's start to rival his, lol. Long answer short, too many to narrow down.

Posted 03 January 2009 - 04:24 PM

Hmm...I don't think because something isn't geared toward collectors that it needs to go backwards. In the end you guys are correct, most lines out there are aimed toward kids, but it doesn't mean that they should have mediocre product. Articulation is great, as long as the sculpt supports it. Look at the Dark Knight figures, the regular figures are stinking up the aisles, much like the Spiderman 3 figures did a year or so ago. You guys know me pretty well and know that I'm a pretty optimistic guy when it comes to most things, but I don't see how these early prototypes of the Terminator figures are giving hope that the Trek license will fair well? I don't expect the line to be as realistic as the DST line, but I do expect them to be a step above their earlier figures. I'm a firm believer that toy companies need to be progressive in their approach and not underestimate their target audience, whether it's collectors or kid's.

#9 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
  • Interests:Stately playboy by day ... profitable pimp by night. I like to watch movies, listen to music, go out ... friends ... food ... all the essentials of life.

Posted 03 January 2009 - 06:19 PM

But you don't find these new terminator figures to be better than stuff PMs has previously put out?

#10 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 03 January 2009 - 07:50 PM

Also the regular release of of the DK and SPM3 stuff was released 15 times as much as the movie masters and ML movie lines. I think companies realize that kids drive sales and produce way more than is needed and if has to clearanced they still make money because they were so mass produced. A good example of a poor movie would be Indiana Jones merchandise which at my walmart are selling 2 for $6 and still sitting on the shelves. I personally think Trek isnt going to go over well with kids so the Trek stuff needs to be a little higher end stuff for it to move.

Don where do you specifically think the toys have gone backwards because I too dont see the Terminator stuff as spectacular but am just curious as to what specifically you see as being wrong?

#11 pickard

pickard

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 08:26 PM

Though these are better than what we got last time from Playmates for Trek, I don't really care. I'm going to judge this line on where the industry is, and the standard for good action figures today, not a decade or more ago.

#12 The_Donster

The_Donster

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 08:53 PM

I think Pickard pretty much hits my point with his last sentence, I'm not going to assume though. I also showed these to my wife and her comments were "They look like something that came out 15 years ago". I think those 2 comments pretty much sum up my problem with this line. I realize that alot of lines are going back to the smaller 3 3/4 and I'm ok with that, if the sculpt supports it. Let's face it, this is an opportunity to get Star Trek back on the toy aisles, but putting out mediocre product isn't going to help. Hopefully Playmate will make me change my mind, however this example doesn't make me warm and tingly.

#13 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 09:09 PM

What specifically do you see wrong with these figures?

#14 The_Donster

The_Donster

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 10:58 PM

I think I've been pretty specific in my reply and don't think anymore needs to be said until the final product pic's get released at Toy Fair wink.gif

#15 jr1701

jr1701

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 01:00 AM

Just to jump back in, I find that given the current spate of 3 3/4 " product these seem on par with that produced by other companies (assuming that the pictures are in the order that they are listed). I would be more concerned with the quality of the bigger figures as, while they are larger, detail doesn't seem to improve.

#16 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 01:56 AM

I don't know. I liked Zizzle's Pirates of the Carribean 3 3/4" line. I also like Mattel's Infinate Heroes line in this scale. Hasbro's Star Wars is usually well done although some sculpts by them have been a miss lately ( Just look at thier first couple of series for Indiana Jones to see thier lapse in quality!) I would have to put the quality of these new Playmates figures somewhere between Zizzle and Hasbro. On a 1 to 10 scale,I'd rate them about a 7-8 overall! Hasbro would get a 9. (Depending on the figure! Some lately wouldn't rate a 4!) Zizzle and Mattel about a 5.

Keep in mind this is 3 3/4" scale that I am commenting on mainly. DST has had a couple of stinkers out there too! Geordi's communicator badge which didn't match the other crew's badges, uniform colors which didn't quite match the wave before and finally Data's bent leg travesty! Looks like that one has returned to haunt us in The Motion Picture Two Pack! The difference in TOS and TNG scales is definately an annoyance too! It seems like we may never get the perfect line, but I'm sure happy we are finally getting everything we have coming now. Just a few short years ago the future of these kinds of products was pretty bleak!

#17 The_Donster

The_Donster

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 02:08 AM

If you are referring to the DCIC, Indiana Jones or The Corps stuff, I'd agree and a good example why it's below par. If you are talking about GI Joe, SW and Elite Force, which is where is should be by today's standards. Both are good examples of the good and bad of action figures. That being said, I'm sure the line will have some moderate success. It will be because some stores won't be ordering very much of them, considering they are still sitting on the IJ and DK figures after the holidays. The economy being what it is, store buyers are going to be a little more frugal in their approach. Which is why I worry about the new Star Trek toys being on the shelves and not selling. It's been 5 or so years since Star Trek was in the aisles and this is what concerns me when I see poorly executed toys like these. Poor likeness, sculpts and only a step above being a pvc figure. However I will wait to see what the Star Trek figures during Toyfair, which is what I meant when I mentioned Toy Fair in my earlier post above. If this is an example of what the Terminators look like I'll pass.

#18 pickard

pickard

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 07:13 AM

QUOTE (bgiles73 @ Jan 4 2009, 02:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't know. I liked Zizzle's Pirates of the Carribean 3 3/4" line. I also like Mattel's Infinate Heroes line in this scale. Hasbro's Star Wars is usually well done although some sculpts by them have been a miss lately ( Just look at thier first couple of series for Indiana Jones to see thier lapse in quality!) I would have to put the quality of these new Playmates figures somewhere between Zizzle and Hasbro. On a 1 to 10 scale,I'd rate them about a 7-8 overall! Hasbro would get a 9. (Depending on the figure! Some lately wouldn't rate a 4!) Zizzle and Mattel about a 5.

Keep in mind this is 3 3/4" scale that I am commenting on mainly. DST has had a couple of stinkers out there too! Geordi's communicator badge which didn't match the other crew's badges, uniform colors which didn't quite match the wave before and finally Data's bent leg travesty! Looks like that one has returned to haunt us in The Motion Picture Two Pack! The difference in TOS and TNG scales is definately an annoyance too! It seems like we may never get the perfect line, but I'm sure happy we are finally getting everything we have coming now. Just a few short years ago the future of these kinds of products was pretty bleak!

I've only glanced at the Zizzle figures, but I think they looked good.

I have a few of the DC figures Mattel's putting out at that scale, but it's more because I love the characters than because the figures are good. Articulation is ridiculously lacking, with many figures lacking any arm articulation past shoulders. Paint jobs are iffy at times, and they cut too many corners using paint for detail where sculpting is required. I fear that this line is going to look even worse when Hasbro's Marvel line comes out, but maybe that'll push Mattel to improve things.

Though I agree that Hasbro's SW line has the occasional stinker, they've put out some absolutely phenomenal figures in the past few years. I'd say the same for their GI Joe and Indy lines. Articulation, paint and sculpting is a loooong way from what they were putting out even five years ago. Right now, Hasbro is the cream of the crop at this scale, in my opinion, and their output is what I'll be judging Playmates against.

#19 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 09:17 AM

QUOTE (pickard @ Jan 4 2009, 02:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've only glanced at the Zizzle figures, but I think they looked good.

I have a few of the DC figures Mattel's putting out at that scale, but it's more because I love the characters than because the figures are good. Articulation is ridiculously lacking, with many figures lacking any arm articulation past shoulders. Paint jobs are iffy at times, and they cut too many corners using paint for detail where sculpting is required. I fear that this line is going to look even worse when Hasbro's Marvel line comes out, but maybe that'll push Mattel to improve things.

Though I agree that Hasbro's SW line has the occasional stinker, they've put out some absolutely phenomenal figures in the past few years. I'd say the same for their GI Joe and Indy lines. Articulation, paint and sculpting is a loooong way from what they were putting out even five years ago. Right now, Hasbro is the cream of the crop at this scale, in my opinion, and their output is what I'll be judging Playmates against.

Yeah, I agree about Hasbro. Their Star Wars line is miles above the competition in this scale. Which is why I complain when they do put out sucky figures like some have been lately. I know Hasbro is capable of much better than googly eyed Indiana Jones. I also have to agree about Mattels Infinate Heroes line. Hasbro's 3 3/4" Marvel Super Heroes are going to blow them away! Has anyone bought any of Mezco's Hellboy 2- 3 3/4" action figures? Those are true masterpieces. They have all the quality and articulation of the 7" figures shrunk down into the smaller scale. I wish DST could do that for Star Trek!

#20 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 09:59 AM

I just got the 4 pack for Christmas and the Hellboy figures are impressive! The GI Joe line I think has gone past Star Wars in recent waves with the addition of specialized vests to give a routine body a more character specific look. If the last pic is indicative of the Trek line then it will be on par with the Hulk line where it was hit or miss depending on the character.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users