• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 A Chimpanzee & 2 Trainees

A Chimpanzee & 2 Trainees

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 710 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 09:57 PM

As I understand it, Stewart and Spiner both had new DS9 style uniforms tailored for them. The remaining crew had to make due with what was left over from DS9 production. This is why Jonathan Frakes keeps his sleeves rolled up in the new uniform - Avery Brooks' costume sleeves were too short. LeVar Burton had the opposite problem in Colm Meaney's uniform which was too big. Also, you'll notice that Beverly and Troi never use the new uniforms. There simply was nothing available that fit them even passably, and no budget left to make them new ones, so they were forced to stick with the TNG style. Supposedly, most of the TNG uniforms from the show were getting a bit worn, which didn't show up on TV, but would have been somewhat more obvious on a theater screen.

I think it's all a bit humorous, actually. They should have just kept everyone in their TNG uniforms if they were really THAT unhappy with the new ones. There just seemed to be this mentality that they had to change EVERYTHING. We need a new ship! We need new uniforms! ... what was that line by McCoy from TMP? "I bet they redesigned the whole sickbay, too! I know engineers. They love to change things!"

#22 knightone

knightone

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 10:34 PM

Yeah. The development of the toys had to start early to make production in time for the movie's release. By the time they found out the new uniforms weren't being used, it was either take a wash on the development or just go ahead with what they already had. Rather than spend more money, they just went into production with the non-articulated prototypes.

Of course, they could have just modded or reculpted the torsos on the existing bodies from previous figures to get what they needed. They already had the DS9 figures and the S7 TNG figures. They just needed to add the new combadge and they would have been done.

The same thing did happen with the Enterprise-E. They made the toy using the original concept design and not the final filming model because they had to start development of the toy early to make the First Contact release date.

#23 TrekCollector01

TrekCollector01

Newforce is my home page.

• Members
  • 191 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek, Writing, collecting Star trek figures, movies, Tennis

Posted 20 August 2008 - 08:32 AM

QUOTE(slayerone76 @ Aug 19 2008, 07:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, I don't think it was stupid, just premature. They got the designs from Paramount and went with them. Unfortunately, TPsTB decided to change things up just before production and PMs was stuck with these. Paramount did it to them again with the Ent-E if I am not mistaken.

Yeah, they did, but I thought they rushed to get them on the market quickly.

#24 TrekCollector01

TrekCollector01

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 08:36 AM

QUOTE(A Chimpanzee & 2 Trainees @ Aug 19 2008, 07:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As I understand it, Stewart and Spiner both had new DS9 style uniforms tailored for them. The remaining crew had to make due with what was left over from DS9 production. This is why Jonathan Frakes keeps his sleeves rolled up in the new uniform - Avery Brooks' costume sleeves were too short. LeVar Burton had the opposite problem in Colm Meaney's uniform which was too big. Also, you'll notice that Beverly and Troi never use the new uniforms. There simply was nothing available that fit them even passably, and no budget left to make them new ones, so they were forced to stick with the TNG style. Supposedly, most of the TNG uniforms from the show were getting a bit worn, which didn't show up on TV, but would have been somewhat more obvious on a theater screen.

I think it's all a bit humorous, actually. They should have just kept everyone in their TNG uniforms if they were really THAT unhappy with the new ones. There just seemed to be this mentality that they had to change EVERYTHING. We need a new ship! We need new uniforms! ... what was that line by McCoy from TMP? "I bet they redesigned the whole sickbay, too! I know engineers. They love to change things!"

They always want to make things more flashy for the big screen.

#25 TrekCollector01

TrekCollector01

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 08:38 AM

QUOTE(knightone @ Aug 19 2008, 08:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah. The development of the toys had to start early to make production in time for the movie's release. By the time they found out the new uniforms weren't being used, it was either take a wash on the development or just go ahead with what they already had. Rather than spend more money, they just went into production with the non-articulated prototypes.

Of course, they could have just modded or reculpted the torsos on the existing bodies from previous figures to get what they needed. They already had the DS9 figures and the S7 TNG figures. They just needed to add the new combadge and they would have been done.

The same thing did happen with the Enterprise-E. They made the toy using the original concept design and not the final filming model because they had to start development of the toy early to make the First Contact release date.

They should have at least tried to give the figures full articulation.

#26 sallah

sallah

Herbert.

• Members
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 03:32 PM

Back to the classic set...

I absolutely love that set. As much as I admire the AA/DST stuff, the Playmates Classic Trek stuff will always have a special place in my heart....

I remember taking my mom out Christmas shopping the year that set hit. I can't remember the exact year (maybe 1993?) but I had to be like 16 at that time and I was past the point where I 'should' be getting toys from my mom for Christmas (even though I still bought them myself and probably always will). We went to Toys R Us to buy some stuff for the nephews and nieces and they had just gotten that set in. So there I was in the aisle staring at the set, ready to go buy it when my mom walks up and goes "hey what's that?". So I tell her what it is and that I'm gonna buy it. She takes it out of my hands and throws it in her cart and says "no you aren't because I am....why don't you give me one last run at buying my son a toy for christmas?". So I did...and I felt like a little kid again waiting for Christmas day to get that set.

So that set will always hold a special place for me. Not just because it's a really well done set, but because that was literally the last actual toy I got for Christmas from my mom...

Sallah

#27 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
  • Interests:Stately playboy by day ... profitable pimp by night. I like to watch movies, listen to music, go out ... friends ... food ... all the essentials of life.

Posted 27 September 2008 - 07:27 AM

That's a great story sallah! My parents would still buy my toys (I am 32) if I didn't snatch up everything myself so I don't miss anything.

#28 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • Interests:"Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?"

Posted 27 September 2008 - 08:32 AM

Does anyone have any pictures of the Generations Picard and crew figures? I don't remember what the new unused uniforms looked like.

#29 sallah

sallah

Herbert.

• Members
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 07:50 PM

We have them on our site so you can see what they look like here:

http://www.theeartht...artrekgenc.html

Sallah

#30 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 27 September 2008 - 11:46 PM

I absolutely loved those uniforms and wish they made it onscreen. They were some pretty sweet figure despite their limited articulation.

#31 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 01:38 AM

QUOTE(A Chimpanzee & 2 Trainees @ Aug 19 2008, 08:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I always wondered why the crew wore two different uniforms for that movie. The funny thing is I was just watching it the other day!

#32 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 01:43 AM

QUOTE(knightone @ Aug 19 2008, 09:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well with STXI being pushed back 6 months that problem shouldn't be an issue with these new figures. And hopefully we get a good quality product. I am really looking forward to the 9" figures. I'd say those are the perfect size.

#33 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 04:23 AM

QUOTE(bgiles73 @ Sep 27 2008, 08:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Does anyone have any pictures of the Generations Picard and crew figures? I don't remember what the new unused uniforms looked like.

Does anyone have a site that has the pictures?? Aww come on is that a joke? I know one

http://www.trektoy.com

#34 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 08:04 AM

Nah not a joke. Just never really checked outside of the forums. Sometimes this internet thing eludes me! rolleyes.gif

#35 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 08:06 AM

The funny thing is not ten seconds after I posted that I found the pictures I was looking for here.

#36 sallah

sallah

Herbert.

• Members
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 10:41 AM

Why can't I resist this set?!?!-

http://cgi.ebay.com/...em=200303600904

This is literally the 5th one of these that I have bought. It's just such a great set that I can't help snagging one when I see it cheap. I have one open, one sealed, one for each of my 2 boys, and now this one....that I guess I'll either sit on for a gift or use for customs...or if I have another kid, I'll give it to him (or her).

I love this set.

Sallah

#37 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 03 February 2009 - 02:59 PM

I love that set too....out of one I made Mirror customs that are some of my favorite customs Ive ever done.

#38 kerowack

kerowack

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 04:47 PM

I bought a large batch of loose/complete playmates Next Gen/TOS (EVERY Figure!!!) and DS9. Out of all of my stuff (DST, Mego, WWE Classic), the playmates figures are my favorite. NOTHING beats the TNG crew on the bridge of the Enterprise playset or in the transporter...

#39 New Frontier

New Frontier

I know FHC by name.

• Suspended
  • 585 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek: The Original Series <br />Graphic Design <br />Star Trek 2009 <br />Model Making <br /><br />

Posted 03 February 2009 - 05:30 PM

well i did purchase this set after all and i must say i'm really glad i did - classic.

#40 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 05:32 PM

Playmates figures are great. I love that TOS set, i have a MIB set and a loose set, its a very nice set. I remember the first time i saw it in Walmart back in the 90's, i just had to have it. TNG figures are great too, i have many of them as well as the Bridge, transporter and engineering playsets all displayed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users