Photo

Best of Both Worlds might have had 4 parts!?...

TNG

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 djc242

djc242

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 05:34 PM

This is really interesting:

http://www.thetrekco...-have-been.html

I would have loved that!  That really would have been something not common on TV at that time.  "Family" does sort of act like an emotional coda to Part 2 but actually fighting assimilated people on Earth would have been awesome.

#2 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 08:09 AM

I would have loved to have seen parts three and four happen. I really wish that Ron Moore would have been given more freedom to more with the shows, especially with Voyager.

#3 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 12:21 PM

Every time I read more from Moore about his ideas for Trek it makes me sad they never seemed to listen to him.

#4 Jay K

Jay K

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,914 posts
  • Interests:Music, Star Trek, and gaming.

Posted 21 January 2016 - 04:08 PM

Yeah definitely. There's no doubt in my mind that he should be running the show now, as he not only knows his Trek history, but he's not afraid to take it in new directions that make sense/feel fresh. Such a shame in my opinion.

#5 Morgan

Morgan

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 745 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 09:31 PM

It's kind of bittersweet to read plans like this, and then know that around 20% of what was planned actually materialized. The Borg stories, pretty much all of them, were much grander in the advance planning stage, but then what made it to the screen was a fraction of what was wished for by the writers.

What Piller is describing here, gawd rest his soul, is groundbreaking and would have been epic. Only DS9 in its later seasons actually approached this type of plot arc, but it faced challenges even doing what it did. But in the process it produced some of the best trek ever, if I may say so.

On a related topic the battle in FC was originally planned to last 5 times longer and feature much more carnage than it did. (This is in the DVD commentary). And it was also supposed to have a dozen new federation ships too, but it was scaled down to the four: Akira, Steamrunner, Norway, and Saber.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: TNG

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users