411 replies to this topic

#21 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 05:50 PM

QUOTE(knightone @ Jan 26 2007, 02:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't think a MOC Romulan or any other MOC alien from the line will lose any value from any repros. Sure, there will be Ebay scammers, but there always have been and always will be scammers on Ebay. As someone else pointed out, Mego replacement parts have been around for years. If someone wanted to make a fake Romulan with fake packaging and all, they could have done it already. Packaged reproductions aren't changing anything and there are still many collectors who, even though a reissue is available, will still want to get the originals if they can afford them.

I think the real scammers are the people selling a romulan figure that sold for less than 5 bucks for 5000 dollars. I understand that items appreciate in value, but thats just plain out greed. Its people like that that make a fun hobby a pain in the butt. I would love a chance to get a whole line of Mego like Star Trek figures for 17 bucks a piece and not have to worry about someone on ebay sending me a piece of crap that he represented as MOC at an inflated price.

#22 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 07:32 PM

Sellers put something on Ebay. Buyers bid. Rare is the reason that people pay big money for anything. If sand was rare then it would cost as much as gold.

#23 UFP-1701

UFP-1701

Once upon a time...

• Members
  • 665 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 07:34 PM

Last I heard, the folks that bid on the items are the ones that jack up the price, not the seller...I have a MOC Romulan as you well know and when the time comes and I decide to let it go, I would like to fetch whatever the buyers are willing to pay, and if that makes me a Phlox, then I suppose I fit the mold.

#24 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 08:34 PM

If a seller puts a romulan on ebay with a starting price of 50 bucks, and a reserve of 5000 dollars,i feel sure that i have a real shot at getting that figure dry.gif , and i doubt many collectors out there have a shot of getting it. Its so hard to find MOC sets of Star Trek mego figures that are in really good shape that i am glad DST are putting these out. Before the announcement about these figures, i might have paid as much as 500 bucks for a romulan, but now i will wait to see if DST puts one out, and then i might pay as much as 50 bucks for an original,since a brand new version would be preferable to me, so that seems to me that there will probably be an impact on prices of the originals among other folks too.

#25 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 09:57 PM

QUOTE(Propmaster @ Jan 26 2007, 07:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Last I heard, the folks that bid on the items are the ones that jack up the price, not the seller...I have a MOC Romulan as you well know and when the time comes and I decide to let it go, I would like to fetch whatever the buyers are willing to pay, and if that makes me a Phlox, then I suppose I fit the mold.

Here and I thought that you were going to give it to me. rolleyes.gif

#26 UFP-1701

UFP-1701

Once upon a time...

• Members
  • 665 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 10:39 PM

Well to me it is never about money..It is I collect what I like and can afford and disregard the rest. Any Repo/recast/will always just be a wantabee to me and I have no interest in collecting them. That comes from my Prop background I suppose.

Any item is only worth only what another thinks it is worth to them and what they are willing to pay for it, plain and smple, it has always been that way, no matter the item. If and when these repos come out, the serious collectors will know them for what they are and pass on them, for the collectors out there such as you VF, it will be a blessing.

BTW, they are many Repo Mego figures and Backing Cards floating around, has been for years, I discussed this with Dr. Mego several times over the years, Paul Clarke. The demand for the figures brought out the worse of the folks in the hobby, I know of one person on Ebay who Purchased a Repo Romulan on A Repo Card for 1790.00 and even after learning of this fact, still has it and I honestly look for it to appear on ebay at anytime as an Original.

So every release by these companies fills a niche for some collector out there, and that is a good thing, as a collector, you have to decide based on who you are and your circumstances if that someone is you.

#27 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,101 posts
  • Interests:Collecting Art Asylum 7&quot; Star trek action figures.

Star trek &amp; writing fan fiction.

Posted 27 January 2007 - 03:10 AM

Things are only worth what people will pay for them, and I guess I can't blame the guy who got all that dosh for his rare figure, even if it does seem crazy to me that some people have that kind of disposeable income. Frankly, I'd be happy with a new repro Mego Romulan ~ I just think it's a nice thing, regardless of how old.

Yeah, there will be people trying to flog new Megos as originals, so I guess it's going to be a case of "Caveat Emptor" (sp?) from now on.

#28 pickard

pickard

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 08:00 AM

QUOTE(Propmaster @ Jan 26 2007, 11:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
BTW, they are many Repo Mego figures and Backing Cards floating around, has been for years, I discussed this with Dr. Mego several times over the years, Paul Clarke.

Slightly off-topic, but Dr. Mego is THE MAN!!!

#29 Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 432 posts
  • Interests:Props, uniforms, 9&quot; clothed figures

Posted 27 January 2007 - 09:07 AM

QUOTE(knightone @ Jan 26 2007, 08:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't think a MOC Romulan or any other MOC alien from the line will lose any value from any repros. Sure, there will be Ebay scammers, but there always have been and always will be scammers on Ebay. As someone else pointed out, Mego replacement parts have been around for years. If someone wanted to make a fake Romulan with fake packaging and all, they could have done it already. Packaged reproductions aren't changing anything and there are still many collectors who, even though a reissue is available, will still want to get the originals if they can afford them.

Yes, but those collectors are just human beings like me and you. And although they want the originals and although the have the cash to pay for them, they will bargain with the seller, telling him that they might settle for a replo if the seller won't lower his price. That's the name of the game. That's what I would do if I cared for having on original one in the first place, which I don't.

I would love them to make repros of the Romulan and the Andorian. Because to me vallue means how much I like something. Anything number that has a currency symbol in front or behind it is just the price.

But for people who have bought a Romulan and an Andorian only to sell them when the prices go up, this might be a disaster.

#30 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 09:12 AM

QUOTE(pickard @ Jan 27 2007, 09:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Slightly off-topic, but Dr. Mego is THE MAN!!!

Yes, i have ordered several times from him, and i like the repro items he produces. I would rather get these from DST though, because Dr Mego does charge a good bit more than 17 bucks for a figure and all the clothes and accessories to get a complete figure. I want MOC figures right out of the factory too, so DST will be much more preferable. One note about Dr Mego's figure bodies: They look essentially the same as Mego's, but are a bit less flexible and i had a arm fall off of one already, while the figure right beside it is over 30 years old and an original mego and still in prefect shape.

#31 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 09:24 AM

QUOTE(Cpt. Phil T. Berns @ Jan 27 2007, 10:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, but those collectors are just human beings like me and you. And although they want the originals and although the have the cash to pay for them, they will bargain with the seller, telling him that they might settle for a replo if the seller won't lower his price. That's the name of the game. That's what I would do if I cared for having on original one in the first place, which I don't.

I would love them to make repros of the Romulan and the Andorian. Because to me vallue means how much I like something. Anything number that has a currency symbol in front or behind it is just the price.

But for people who have bought a Romulan and an Andorian only to sell them when the prices go up, this might be a disaster.

I would say that if DST produces a Romulan, those with a lot of money tied up in a original Romulan with definitly have their prospects of selling it reduced, but there are always people out there with money to burn, so they may yet sell it, but no doubt without as much profit as they would like. I say that folks that buy things like these only with the intention of reselling later at a profit are not my favorite people. I see people all the time trying to sell an item, even though its worn out and in shabby shape and want premium prices for it, i think thats just greed. I do keep my collection as close to Mint shape as i can, but i dont dream about selling it for a million dollars when i may only be worth 10 thousand.

#32 Artistix

Artistix

Trek Toy.com Member of the Month Feb 2010

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 03:38 PM

I will be buried with my figures....

Their worth is of little consequence to me.

Just thought I'd share that! laugh.gif

#33 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
  • Interests:Stately playboy by day ... profitable pimp by night. I like to watch movies, listen to music, go out ... friends ... food ... all the essentials of life.

Posted 28 January 2007 - 04:54 PM

QUOTE(Artistix @ Jan 28 2007, 03:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I will be buried with my figures....

That is the ultimate in action figure geekdom! I have always told my friends I will be buried in a big mausoleum with each action figure having its own separate display nook! LOL Its all at once funny, and not! laugh.gif

#34 Artistix

Artistix

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 03:09 PM

QUOTE(slayerone76 @ Jan 29 2007, 09:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have always told my friends I will be buried in a big mausoleum with each action figure having its own separate display nook! LOL Its all at once funny, and not! laugh.gif

Well, for some ultimately ultimate geekdom....I will be cremated, with the figures...& we will finally be one....forever! roflmao.gif

#35 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 07:05 PM

Well, the DST site officially announced the Mego figures today, with the Klingon and Kirk being the first two figures to be released in June, and it
says that there will be new additions to the line never seen before. It looks like we might get all of the old ones and some new ones too, sweet!! I predict that these will sell better than the current figures, because many folks had these figures as kids that may not even collect star trek collectibles or even be a star trek fan, but remember these figures and will get a set of them. I will get everyone of these put out, at least two whole sets, and many many duplicates of some of them.

#36 knightone

knightone

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 07:08 PM

There are people who collect Mego and Mego style figures as well, regardless of the franchise from which it came from. So that will be good for sales as well, I'm sure.

It's good to see that the Klingon and Kirk are up first. I'm going to get a few of each. I have a couple of original Kirks and an original Klingon, but it will be nice to have the reissues as well, especially a couple of sets to open.

They mention the original playsets in the article. Hmm. I wonder if there is a chance they would reproduce those as well...

#37 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 07:43 PM

Dont know about the playsets, but it would be neat. I have a Boxed Mego Bridge set and a loose one and a good number of original Mego Star Trek figures to display in it. I really doubt that they will make playsets, but i would pick up any of them they make though.

#38 pickard

pickard

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 08:24 PM

QUOTE(VulcanFanatic @ Jan 27 2007, 10:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, i have ordered several times from him, and i like the repro items he produces. I would rather get these from DST though, because Dr Mego does charge a good bit more than 17 bucks for a figure and all the clothes and accessories to get a complete figure. I want MOC figures right out of the factory too, so DST will be much more preferable. One note about Dr Mego's figure bodies: They look essentially the same as Mego's, but are a bit less flexible and i had a arm fall off of one already, while the figure right beside it is over 30 years old and an original mego and still in prefect shape.

Dr. Mego's repros are mostly from factories in China.

As to the limbs falling off, that was very, very common for original Megos. You see Robin figures all the time on eBay which are MOC but have a broken knee joint. I read that this was fairly common back when they first came out. (This problem is more obvious with Robin, because his costume doesn't hold the limb in position.) I've got a Spidey whose arm is held together by his Spidey-suit.

Agreed on the price.

#39 Artistix

Artistix

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 08:36 PM

That is awesome news about Kirk & the Klingon being first!!

I can't wait for these figures.

Still praying they do something to help Uhura's face...but I guess that wouldn't be in the spirit of the set, so it wouldn't bother me in the slightest if they do not.

#40 Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 432 posts
  • Interests:Props, uniforms, 9&quot; clothed figures

Posted 01 February 2007 - 03:08 AM

And here's the picture.

See anything wrong with it? The Klingon is clearly not Kor, but Koloth (Trouble with the Tribbles)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users