• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#61 tuvok47

tuvok47

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 651 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 03:02 AM

All this talk about weight makes me think about the DST Klingon disruptors.  Weight was def a factor for me in that they felt in the hand like a big hollow hunk of plastic (which they obviously were).  Ended up selling mine.

#62 Stormfury_Echo

Stormfury_Echo

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 06:21 AM

I guess for things like weapons and what not, if you aren't digging the lack of heft and are brave enough, one could disassemble and hot glue some fishing weights in a few places to add weight and balance. That's assuming there aren't terrible internal space issues.

#63 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 11:22 AM

The price of something also factors in here.

The heavier an item the more expensive it's going to be. If DST are charging me £60-£90 for a plastic ship, it's got to feel and look £60-£90. The lighter an item like this is, then the price should reflect that. If a ship is both light and expensive, people are going to think it's not worth the money.

#64 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 11:31 AM

I still don't understand your logic behind the weight of the ship. 

Its a display piece, its appearance is far more important than its weight. 

They LOOK worth the price you pay for them. 

#65 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 01:53 PM

I still don't understand your logic behind the weight of the ship. 

Its a display piece, its appearance is far more important than its weight. 

They LOOK worth the price you pay for them. 

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. I prefer my ships to both look good and feel substantial and robust. The TOS Enterprise and the Refit Enterprise don't do that for me, whereas the Klingon Bird of Prey definitely does.

#66 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 04:25 PM

All this talk about weight makes me think about the DST Klingon disruptors.  Weight was def a factor for me in that they felt in the hand like a big hollow hunk of plastic (which they obviously were). 

Yep... thats exactly what I said too!

I guess for things like weapons and what not, if you aren't digging the lack of heft and are brave enough, one could disassemble and hot glue some fishing weights in a few places to add weight and balance. That's assuming there aren't terrible internal space issues.

I was thinking of trying expanding foam, but your right more weight might be better.

The heavier an item the more expensive it's going to be.

You must pay top dollar for a Log!

tumblr_m1noewl35G1qh4zrvo1_500.jpg

:roflmao:

#67 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 05:45 PM

Are you really handling your ships that much? Mine sit on a dresser looking good, rarely being picked up and handled.

#68 Razorgeist

Razorgeist

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 505 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 08:27 PM

I can sort of see the thing about weight.  Though for me its just a funky psychological tick.  The only ship I thought felt lighter than it should was the Enterprise-E but I remedied that by buying weights and putting them inside.

#69 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 05:40 AM

Are you really handling your ships that much? Mine sit on a dresser looking good, rarely being picked up and handled.

As Razorgeist says, it is a sort of psychological thing. But also, I have the same ikea MALM chest of draws as you, those draws roll back with some force. The lighter the ship, the easier it is to topple over.

That can also be said for the heavier ships too but that's due to the appalling manufacturing of the stands. The Klingon Bird of Prey? Perfect. The stand distributes the weight of the ship nicely.

Also Goth jests, but a solid wooden piece of furniture is far more expensive than an IKEA piece of furniture.

#70 robster

robster

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 10:45 AM

Ehm.... NOT entirely true when it comes to Ikea vs wooden furniture.

But why has this gone so totally off topic? Isn't this the thread for Comic-Con exclusives? Can't you just start a thread on furniture if that's what you want,and I'll happily post there about Ikea and wodden furniture and whatnot. Everything and the kitchen sink to boot,lol!

#71 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 02:05 PM

But why has this gone so totally off topic? Isn't this the thread for Comic-Con exclusives? Can't you just start a thread on furniture if that's what you want,and I'll happily post there about Ikea and wodden furniture and whatnot. Everything and the kitchen sink to boot,lol!

If you'd pay attention the whole argument was over weight, weight of the DST ships and that linked into the weight of the SDCC exclusive...

However, you're right!

When I look at the other companies producing exclusives for SDCC this year, NECA for example, I see some real gems. This neon orange Enterprise is no gem, it looks cheap and tacky. As "fun" as it might be, I think actually Star Trek should of gotten something far more impressive, far more sought after, and far more... hefty ;-).

In my mind, that would be something like this;

Diamond select toys presents, in association with CBS, Bad Robot and Paramount Pictures....

"The Captains of Star Trek"

6 exclusive newly sculpted action figures from the Star Trek universe, available for the first time together in one amazing commemorative pack.

Featuring...

Captain James T. Kirk (Star Trek: The Original Series)

Captain Jean Luc Picard (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

Captain Benjamin Sisko (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)

Captain Katheryn Janeway (Star Trek: Voyager)

Captain Jonathan Archer (Star Trek: Enterprise)

Captain James T. Kirk (Star Trek Beyond)

This set comes in a unique and exclusive window box, beautifully displaying each fully articulated figure. Each figure comes with a Star Trek display base and a range of character specific accessories.

Limited to 1701 at SDCC. These figures will be available separately across the world from September 8th to celebrate the launch of the newest Trek; Star Trek: Discovery.

The new Star Trek range from Diamond Select Toys, begins at SDCC...

Action figures, ships and role play from the entire Star Trek universe.

Now there's an exclusive that would set pulses racing.

#72 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 02:05 PM

If you'd pay attention the whole argument was over weight, weight of the DST ships and that linked into the weight of the SDCC exclusive...

However, you're right!

When I look at the other companies producing exclusives for SDCC this year, NECA for example, I see some real gems. This neon orange Enterprise is no gem, it looks cheap and tacky. As "fun" as it might be, I think actually Star Trek should of gotten something far more impressive, far more sought after, and far more... hefty ;-).

Diamond select toys presents, in association with CBS, Bad Robot and Paramount Pictures....

6 exclusive newly sculpted action figures from the Star Trek universe, available for the first time together in one amazing commemorative pack.

Featuring...

This set comes in a unique and exclusive window box, beautifully displaying each fully articulated figure. Each figure comes with a Star Trek display base and a range of character specific accessories.

Limited to 1701 at SDCC. These figures will be available separately across the world from September 8th to celebrate the launch of the newest Trek; Star Trek: Discovery.

#73 Dilithium1

Dilithium1

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 388 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 02:19 PM

Wasnt pretty much EVERYBODY a captain by Star Trek VI?

#74 Dilithium1

Dilithium1

• Members
  • 388 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 02:19 PM

Captain Spock

Captain Sulu

Captain Scott

#75 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 02:23 PM

True but they never headlined their own series

#76 robster

robster

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 02:23 PM

It was of course a joke,hence the lol at the end. LOL! I do of course pay attention and know perfectly well where it ended up going off topic,doesn't mean I care though,lol! Talk about whatever you want,everyone does anyways,lol! I'm gonna pop over to the Everything Else section and start a Hallmark items,since they are NOT exclusives,thread there. And talk about this years ornys and such. Well, ONE day I'll start that thread,LOL!

And that figure set you came up with?! EXCELLENT!! I want two,lol!

#77 MisterPL

MisterPL

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 07:34 AM

Forgive me if this has already been addressed but it seems to me that if DST were looking to offer a translucent version of a ship, the Romulan Bird of Prey would be a no-brainer. And if that is expected to sell much more than 400 units then offer it to retail and make a cloaked version that's battle-damaged for SDCC.

#78 s8film40

s8film40

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 08:03 AM

However, you're right!

Featuring...

Not that this isn't a good idea, but I think I actually prefer the orange Enterprise over this. Here's why. The orange Enterprise isn't for me, but it's one of those type of convention exclusives like we used to see a lot more. If you miss out on it as long as you're not a completist it's not a huge loss it's a simple repaint, just something a little different. What you described is nice, but it's one of the typical ploys companies use to gouge their collectors. In your hypothetical exclusive I would be buying four figures I already have and one I don't want to just to get one single figure and likely paying around $150 before the additional costs involved in acquiring convention exclusives.

#79 Dilithium1

Dilithium1

• Members
  • 388 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 08:56 AM

In your hypothetical exclusive I would be buying four figures I already have and one I don't want to just to get one single figure and likely paying around $150 before the additional costs involved in acquiring convention exclusives.

This ^

Also, according to Zack, the Gold-Prise and Orange-Prise were planned at the same time.   They may have been concerned that the BOP would have further delays and then they would have had no SDCC exclusive.  Im pretty sure we will see a cloaked BOP next year.

#80 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 10:27 AM

Not that this isn't a good idea, but I think I actually prefer the orange Enterprise over this. Here's why. The orange Enterprise isn't for me, but it's one of those type of convention exclusives like we used to see a lot more. If you miss out on it as long as you're not a completist it's not a huge loss it's a simple repaint, just something a little different. What you described is nice, but it's one of the typical ploys companies use to gouge their collectors. In your hypothetical exclusive I would be buying four figures I already have and one I don't want to just to get one single figure and likely paying around $150 before the additional costs involved in acquiring convention exclusives.

I do understand this complaint a lot of fans in general have. That's why as DST, I'd offer each captain individually later on in the year. As a business decision though, it's a marketing ploy to generate interest.

The whole point of an exclusive like this would be to expand interest in the line to reboot it if you will, and since DST has never produced any of these figures in the same scale, has never done a Sisko figure without reusing an old data body and has never done Janeway or Kelvin Kirk or Archer (that was under Art Asylum and made with that rubbery stuff) then this would be an awesome exclusive, if very hard to get unless you are at SDCC.

The aim of it though would be to relaunch the line at a time when Star Trek is about to again, enter the public consciousness with Star Trek: Discovery. They could offer some of these sets through their website or through social media competitions.

The fact that this set would be instantly snapped up and then sold for double or triple what it's worth on eBay is enough for me (as DST) to say it's a damn good idea.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users