Photo

Errr... DST to make a full sized TOS Capt Chair Replica?!

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#21 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 02:31 PM

The RC stuff was looking cool!

The staff was there and were flying them all week!

The big Enterprise is really huge BTW!

Also... there is a 20 questions game coming, but Mattel wants help seeding the database!

so go to this link http://www.20q.net/startrek/ and have some fun trying to stump the computer!

#22 richpit

richpit

The card is maxed out.

• Members
  • 261 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek toys, Star Trek props, Star Trek stuff in general!

Posted 14 August 2008 - 02:38 PM

QUOTE(FHC @ Aug 14 2008, 12:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm there even if they are ugly! And one of those flying Enterprise too.

Yeah, who am I kidding...I'll buy them no matter what they look like too. I bought all the stuff in the 90's no matter what.

#23 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 14 August 2008 - 02:52 PM

To get us back on topic... it would be really cool if the chair had the ability for electronics like flashing lights. Id also like to see real leather being used. I say hey if you're going to drop that much money why not go the little extra for a truly unique collectible!

#24 richpit

richpit

The card is maxed out.

• Members
  • 261 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 02:54 PM

QUOTE(TheHSBR @ Aug 14 2008, 04:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
To get us back on topic... it would be really cool if the chair had the ability for electronics like flashing lights. Id also like to see real leather being used. I say hey if you're going to drop that much money why not go the little extra for a truly unique collectible!

Yeah, sorry for getting off topic! blink.gif

I agree about both. It wouldn't be the captain's chair without blinkie lights, buttons and switches. And, I would never pay that much for any chair unless it was leather!

#25 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 03:16 PM

Well... they said it would have electronics... working lights etc... if it turns ut to be like the one that Rod.com was giving away, it's dead on spectacular!

#26 RizzoPSU

RizzoPSU

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 02:51 AM

If I had the 2k to spend on this or however much it may be(?)......hands down I would buy it and then keep it in a garage. Its not like I have a museum or anything to show something like that off. I mean really who does? To hell with a wife or g/f? (god love 'em) but really, the novelty will wear off in one month and then what?. You have an overgrown "beer coaster" or "conversation piece". Seriously...don't get me wrong. Great idea...just dont have the paramount lot to display this sad.gif someday though I will.

....richpit..................I hope you aren't from Ohio

#27 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 05:21 AM

I hear what your saying about the space! But If I had room just for a home theater, I'd buy one and incorporate it into the room somehow.

#28 richpit

richpit

The card is maxed out.

• Members
  • 261 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 07:54 AM

QUOTE(RizzoPSU @ Aug 15 2008, 04:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
....richpit..................I hope you aren't from Ohio

I'm not...but why?

#29 A Chimpanzee & 2 Trainees

A Chimpanzee & 2 Trainees

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 710 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 09:49 AM

QUOTE(Gothneo @ Aug 15 2008, 07:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I hear what your saying about the space! But If I had room just for a home theater, I'd buy one and incorporate it into the room somehow.

If I had a room for just a home theatre and was going to spend the money for elaborate decor, I'd rather deck the room out as an old fashioned movie theater than a Star Trek room, but that's just me.

Red velvet seating, curtains on each side of the screen, a concession stand in the back corner. I guess I really want the movie experience when I watch Star Trek (or any other movie), rather than the Star Trek Experience every time I watch any movie.

I know, I know ... blasphemy! smile.gif

I have to say though... stuff like this: http://www.product-r...k-home-theater/

is truly impressive. My hat's off to whoever built it.

#30 New Frontier

New Frontier

I know FHC by name.

• Suspended
  • 585 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek: The Original Series <br />Graphic Design <br />Star Trek 2009 <br />Model Making <br /><br />

Posted 15 August 2008 - 04:43 PM

www.trekmovie.com posted a new pic of the chair it looks most impressive! i'm saving for one as of now!

#31 Frontier

Frontier

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 12:28 AM

Yep, me too!

I won't be surprised when the final price becomes $1,701 though.

But, saving saving saving. FHC contributed to my fund already! tongue.gif

#32 Thomas E. Johnson

Thomas E. Johnson

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 495 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 01:03 PM

I already know this will be WAY out of my budget!!!!!

#33 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 01:08 PM

Room and price of course aside this would be a cool piece. The MR Enterprise hurt the wallet but at least is can be placed at the top of a oh I don't know, entertainment center and shown off. Anyplace off the floor. This is going to take up floor space.

Still.......

#34 Thomas E. Johnson

Thomas E. Johnson

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 495 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 01:12 PM

QUOTE(FHC @ Aug 17 2008, 03:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Room and price of course aside this would be a cool piece. The MR Enterprise hurt the wallet but at least is can be placed at the top of a oh I don't know, entertainment center and shown off. Anyplace off the floor. This is going to take up floor space.

Still.......

I know the feeling. I coughed up the $$$ for a low numbered MR Signature Edition Enterprise Model also.

#35 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 01:44 PM

Well, FHC... you could replace your chair at the dinner table with this! roflmao.gif

It would remind everyone in your family that your the Captain every time you sit done for chow!

#36 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 01:52 PM

I made my cheap one here for about 5 bucks and a worn out desk chair. LOL

#37 Frontier

Frontier

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 11:15 AM

Sci-Fi Wire is reporting the price as $2,000.

I don't care. I must have one.

I got screwed at Christie's, It's a Wrap, winning nothing.

I want the damn chair!

Going to have to find some sort of large protective cover I can put over it, though, to protect it from my cats.

#38 Alex

Alex

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 926 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 12:09 AM

Well, well, I may very well have my graduation present picked out here! rolleyes.gif Now granted, while I'd want one of these, my girlfriend would probably kill me, and my two best friends would subsequently make a comparison of my ego to that of William Shatner's, and then proceed to explain to make jokes to the effect of "if the chair fits..."

Would I buy one of these? Maybe, but I'd have to have enough cash and know that AA/DST wouldn't be doing a line of Captain's Chairs. Would I buy one of these if it was from the Enterprise-E? DEFINITELY! In fact, if AA/DST intends to do a line of Captain's Chair furniture, I'd sign up for an Enterprise-E Captain's Chair and a Voyager "Command Bench" tomorrow--throw in a table from Ten Forward and maybe AA/DST can decorate my entire house. wink.gif Of course for what this is going to cost, that chair had better be able to keep my butt from doing what some of my ships do with a wobbly stand.

This is definitely going to be a "unique" item from a toy company to say the least. If AA/DST intends to hit a really high-level market, they'd better offer more than just furniture that most of us won't be able to fit in our homes. If they offered the same starships that they have out now with additional detail and charged accordingly for the added realism, I think more people would buy the item rather than a chair that will take up a good chunk of space in the living room. Of course if AA/DST really wants to go big, maybe they could partner with an auto company like Toyota and release some form of hybrid vehicle that resembles a "shuttlecraft on wheels," of course that's getting into shark-worthy territory that some of us might not want to explore. Either way, I can't wait to see what this chair is going to cost... and how many people will subsequently be remodeling their homes to have a living room that looks like the bridge of the Enterprise.

#39 knightone

knightone

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 12:55 AM

Actually DST is not just a toy company. They have many high and mid-priced prop replicas in their various product lines. The reason they keep the Starship Legends line at the price range it is in now is to allow for a greater section of fans and collectors to be able to afford them. The only reason they don't go into a higher in price is because there is a large market available and they want to tap into as much of it as possible. Having more than one ship line would be too competitive as the market isn't that large. With BSG, the market isn't as strong, so they make the higher priced statues in much limited numbers. Since demand isn't as high, they can choose just to tap into a niche market. And they can't go into the studio scale market just yet since MR has that product line already. Maybe if MR really does shut down or give up the Trek license, that could change.

#40 Artistix

Artistix

Trek Toy.com Member of the Month Feb 2010

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 01:18 AM

QUOTE(Frontier @ Aug 21 2008, 03:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sci-Fi Wire is reporting the price as $2,000.

blink.gif

Well, I think I'll just admire the pics you all post of yours!

If I was going to throw a large amount of money at a Trek item...it would more likely be a Galoob Wesley. happy.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users