Photo

Errr... DST to make a full sized TOS Capt Chair Replica?!

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#1 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 09:12 PM

I went to the Trek Con last week in Las Vegas, and one of the things I heard that quite stunned me was that DST/AA will be making Full sized TOS Capt Chair Replicas with working electronics (lights and sounds)...

This was coming from the Paramount/CBS marketing people, not DST, so take it for what its worth... they were going through all the Trek related Licenses and he said this was coming from DST!

Someone asked what the price would be and they said they hadn't set it yet, but as the man said, "it won't be $19.99... unless you move the decimal point to $1999.00 which might be closer!"

Roddenberry.Com had one on display... and it's the prize for the rod.com member of the year, so maybe the rep misspoke and it's coming from there, but needless to say, if I had a home theater, I'd buy one and make it the center chair!

#2 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
  • Interests:Stately playboy by day ... profitable pimp by night. I like to watch movies, listen to music, go out ... friends ... food ... all the essentials of life.

Posted 11 August 2008 - 09:17 PM

As cool as I think this is, I would never want to own one of them. Its just not my thing I guess, but will be happy for those actually want to get one.

#3 Jedigreedo

Jedigreedo

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 09:24 PM

Wow, insanity is the first word that comes to mind.

Personally, I'd prefer the TNG chair. biggrin.gif

#4 Thomas E. Johnson

Thomas E. Johnson

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 495 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 10:08 PM

Sounds like someone is joking around. spock2.gif

#5 knightone

knightone

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 01:46 AM

It's no joke AFAIK. I remember back when DST first took over AA and that was one of the announcements they made on the old AA boards. This has been a long time in planning and development. I thought the project had been scrapped since they never mentioned it again, but I guess they are still working on it. I suppose with the new Trek movie revisiting the classic era, this is still a very appropriate item for them to be working on.

I don't think it is insane. I know there is a market for it. I don't think this will be a mass produced piece by any means. It will be a very limited edition with a very hefty price tag. But there will be demand enough for a rare piece like this and it will be worth DST's while to get it out.

#6 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,101 posts
  • Interests:Collecting Art Asylum 7" Star trek action figures.

Star trek & writing fan fiction.

Posted 12 August 2008 - 01:53 AM

I don't know about wives filing for divorce, I know a few women who would quite fancy one of those at home! tongue.gif

But, honestly, is this not the stupidist idea? I watched the webcast of the fist day of the famous Christie's prop sale (Yeah, I wanted to see who bought Shinzon's outfit!) and what amused me the most was wondering exactly would people do with those free-standing work stations from the Ent D bridge! In the normal domestic setting I can't imagine that they'd be either use or ornament, and Kirk's chair would simply be about five minutes of playtime and something to bark your shins on at curse at for the other 23 hours and 55 minutes of the day. dry.gif

#7 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 02:43 AM

I can think of about 10 people off the top of my head that would snap one up if the cost is anything they can stand. It might not be our bag here but remember our sister forum the Trek Prop Zone. Those people would LOVE it.

I have a large basement, and I was thinking that there was more then enough room for a Trek pinball game, why not a TOS Chair!!

#8 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 05:55 AM

I have to say, once you sit in one your hooked! at least I thought the one that Rod.com had was really cool .. and surprisingly comfortable for what it is.

Oh and sorry Jules! I should have made the tag "Spouses Prep yer divorce papers!" I've been schooled and won't make that mistake again!

#9 richpit

richpit

The card is maxed out.

• Members
  • 261 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek toys, Star Trek props, Star Trek stuff in general!

Posted 13 August 2008 - 10:08 AM

It sounds odd to me. I mean, cool...a repro of Kirk's chair...but really? From a toy company? If DST was a furniture company, OK. Do I trust a chair made by a toy company to hold my butt? Not sure.

#10 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,101 posts
  • Interests:Collecting Art Asylum 7" Star trek action figures.

Star trek & writing fan fiction.

Posted 13 August 2008 - 11:25 AM

^^^If it turns out to be as feeble as some of the toy ship stands...the answer is no! unsure.gif

#11 New Frontier

New Frontier

I know FHC by name.

• Suspended
  • 585 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek: The Original Series <br />Graphic Design <br />Star Trek 2009 <br />Model Making <br /><br />

Posted 13 August 2008 - 12:35 PM

this is gonna be something i must have! i hope they don't skimp on the quality control haha tongue.gif

#12 richpit

richpit

The card is maxed out.

• Members
  • 261 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 12:37 PM

QUOTE(JulesLuvsShinzon @ Aug 13 2008, 01:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
^^^If it turns out to be as feeble as some of the toy ship stands...the answer is no! unsure.gif

Very true!!

#13 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
  • Interests:Stately playboy by day ... profitable pimp by night. I like to watch movies, listen to music, go out ... friends ... food ... all the essentials of life.

Posted 13 August 2008 - 01:06 PM

I think we are seeing a new direction for DST. They are starting to announce higher end, more pricey product. The 1/4" scale figures and this are just a start I think.

#14 richpit

richpit

The card is maxed out.

• Members
  • 261 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 01:09 PM

QUOTE(slayerone76 @ Aug 13 2008, 03:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think we are seeing a new direction for DST. They are starting to announce higher end, more pricey product. The 1/4" scale figures and this are just a start I think.

I'm down with that. I don't have a bunch of "extra" money lying around, but if I can get a much better, accurate item for a few bucks more, I'll gladly pay it.

#15 New Frontier

New Frontier

I know FHC by name.

• Suspended
  • 585 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek: The Original Series <br />Graphic Design <br />Star Trek 2009 <br />Model Making <br /><br />

Posted 14 August 2008 - 05:11 AM

If this is to be a new era for DST toys - perhaps realizing that they can't and won't compete with the forthcoming Playmates Star Trek toy figures - they have opted to target the really high end market - to me, it's about time!!!! whilst sure the figures they've done have been good for most here, i felt they've lacked the genuine quality AA figures had and are by no means a touch on figures produced by NECA and McFalane. This chair sounds awesome, when Forbidden Planet or Amazon have it up for sale i'm gonna put my name down - i just hope they put it up in time for me to save the

#16 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 08:14 AM

I would say that the first one was made of plywood. Much better things to use these days.

#17 richpit

richpit

The card is maxed out.

• Members
  • 261 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 08:20 AM

If I understand the licensing, DST has the license for all things Trek except the new movie. Playmates license is only for the new movie. So, they're not really competing against each other. well, they are...because I assume the target market for both is the same group of people, but at least they're not competing item-to-item with each other.

#18 knightone

knightone

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 09:26 AM

I suspect Playmates is expecting to hit a larger market than just Trek fans and collectors. I think they hope to appeal to kids more than adults with the bulk of their lines for the new movie. As such, I expect the majority of the product to be more toy-like rather than detailed. I also expect some kid-friendly action features as well on most of the products. So I also don't think it will compete with DST for the most part. Obviously most of us will be buying at least some Playmates product from the new movie, but a lot of adult collectors might skip the line because of it's targeted audience.

#19 richpit

richpit

The card is maxed out.

• Members
  • 261 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 09:29 AM

QUOTE(knightone @ Aug 14 2008, 11:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I suspect Playmates is expecting to hit a larger market than just Trek fans and collectors. I think they hope to appeal to kids more than adults with the bulk of their lines for the new movie. As such, I expect the majority of the product to be more toy-like rather than detailed. I also expect some kid-friendly action features as well on most of the products. So I also don't think it will compete with DST for the most part. Obviously most of us will be buying at least some Playmates product from the new movie, but a lot of adult collectors might skip the line because of it's targeted audience.

True. I'm hoping that Playmates goes a little less "toy like" than their Trek lines from the 90's...but we'll see. Either way, I'm sure I'm in for a Phaser and Communicator at least. (unless they're ugly)

#20 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 10:15 AM

I'm there even if they are ugly! And one of those flying Enterprise too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users