• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 knightone

knightone

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 05:41 PM

I'm really excited about this news. I just wish that they allowed pics of the proto. I can't wait to see it and hear about what the electronics will be like.

#2 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
  • Interests:Stately playboy by day ... profitable pimp by night. I like to watch movies, listen to music, go out ... friends ... food ... all the essentials of life.

Posted 24 February 2008 - 06:24 PM

Knightone! Where the heck have you been???

We are also excited to see this pop up at Toy Fair. I have been impressed with DST's other Trek Tek items, so I am gonna guess this one will rock too.

#3 UFP-1701

UFP-1701

Once upon a time...

• Members
  • 665 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 07:33 PM

The one seen at Toyfare was actually a built kit from Roddenberry.com/HMS. The DST release will be molded off this piece so we have high hopes for it being full size and accurate. smile.gif

#4 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 07:50 PM

That is awesome news. I cant wait to see some pics. And Knightone it is great to see you around again.

#5 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
  • Interests:Stately playboy by day ... profitable pimp by night. I like to watch movies, listen to music, go out ... friends ... food ... all the essentials of life.

Posted 22 July 2008 - 07:56 PM

BBTS has these up for pre-order. Nice description and picture included. I am not to impressed by it having voice features ... Phasers shouldn't talk. I hope they are smart with it and make it so the voice features aren't activated by 'typical phaser function' buttons.

#6 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 03:57 AM

Whoa! For some reason this just didn't register on my radar till you bumped it wit hthe pict!

Very Nice! I will be getting one of those!

#7 knightone

knightone

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 04:30 PM

Anyone see the pic of the TWOK phaser on the DST site? It appears to have an odd hybrid trigger. It has the outline of the countoured trigger from the TMP hero, but also has the nubby trigger from the TWOK hero sticking out of the contoured trigger. Odd.

Still excited about it, though, and can't wait to actually get them.

#8 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 07:46 PM

Yeah, that is a little odd. Why would they do that? The PM's version utilized the contoured trigger.

#9 knightone

knightone

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 05:06 AM

The PM version was the multi-colored top control panel TMP version, so the contoured trigger was appropriate.

#10 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 11:34 AM

So there are two 'real' versions and the DST has a hybrid-looking trigger? I thought maybe that was what you were saying in your first post Robin, but I wasn't sure.

#11 knightone

knightone

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 08:38 PM

Yeah, the multi-colored light control pane hero from TMP had the countoured trigger. But the TWOK hero didn't have the multi-colored lights on the control panel (I believe the lights on the TWOK controls were amber) and had the plain nub sticking out as a trigger and not a contoured one. The DST proto seem to hybridize the two.

Also, the TMP hero had a single light emitter, as I recall, and the TWOK version distinctly had four lights in the emitter.

Even though the bodies of the two phasers are the same; the lighting effects, the triggers, and the paint schemes for the two heros are very distinct and different.

#12 Xon

Xon

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 10:07 PM

What does it mean when you refer to a prop as being a hero version?

#13 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 10:24 PM

QUOTE(Xon @ Aug 9 2008, 11:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What does it mean when you refer to a prop as being a hero version?

I think it means it was actually used on screen ... by the heroes themselves???? unsure.gif

#14 knightone

knightone

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 04:41 AM

A hero version of a prop is a version that has either electronics installed or a paint scheme appropriate for close-up shots or both. Hero props are made to be better than background props since they will be seen prominently on screen. Background props are not made with as much care and attention since they will only be seen briefly in the background and never be given close-ups.

For example, in First Contact, Picard's phaser was a hero prop. It had a lighted power meter and different, higher grade paint scheme than the other hand phasers used in the movie because there was the scene with Lily where the phaser played a prominent part and would be seen clearly on camera.

I specifically talk about the heros when I am talking about the TWOK phaser release because the background props from both TMP and TWOK had both paint schemes and both body styles. But the hero for TMP was made in the style of the colorful version and the heros for TWOK were made in the more subdued version.

#15 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 06:09 AM

This might help some, or not! smile.gif

http://www.trektoy.c...?showtopic=1887

#16 Xon

Xon

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 10:34 AM

Thanks everyone!

#17 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 01:25 AM

I have been waiting for a GOOD version of this pahser since Playmates released their cheapo version. I can't wait!!!!!!!

#18 onebuckfilms

onebuckfilms

Toys before the light bill.

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 10:06 PM

Well I did it. I pre-ordered the WOK Phaser and Science Tricorder.

Should go nicely with my TOS Phaser and Communicator and Star Trek TOS and WOK uniforms from Star Trek: The Experience !!!!

#19 knightone

knightone

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 01:37 AM

From the latest Q&A, it seems the electronics will be more elaborate than I thought. The TWOK phaser will have both a lighted control panel as well as a lighted rear knob/dilithium chamber. It sounds like it will be the same as or similar to the Rod.com electronics package (which isn't suprising since HMS probably made the prototype for the DST release). This sounds like a full featured release at a steal of a price, which is very good news indeed!

#20 onebuckfilms

onebuckfilms

Toys before the light bill.

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 11:15 AM

Better and better.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users