• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 05:26 AM

I went and saw Quentin Tarantino's new movie the The Hateful Eight the other day.

Overall, I liked it. It don't think its his best work, but its also not at the bottom of my list. 

I don't think its for everyone, and Tarantino seems to go back to some of his earliest work, like Reservoir Dogs for some base inspiration.

Anyone who's a fan of Tarantino, knows he like dialog, and old "B-Flick" Westerns and the such, and that comes through in his movies like Reservoir Dogs, and Grindhouse. 

There's a lot less action in this one, and I will admit It drug on in a few points, but if your a Tarantino Fan, and you know what his shtick is , I don't think you'll be disappointed. 

Has anyone else seen it.. planning to see it?

#2 Jay K

Jay K

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,914 posts
  • Interests:Music, Star Trek, and gaming.

Posted 02 January 2016 - 09:41 PM

Yeah, saw it twice now with two groups of friends. One of my favourite films ever is Inglorious Basterds, and I also really love Django Unchained (any film that ends with...

Spoiler
is a winner in my book!). Also, Chistoph Waltz being in those films adds an automatic ten points to them. lol
But this film is nowhere near hitting those heights for me. Remove Basterds and Django, and Tarantino films are very hit or miss for me. I either like them in the sense that I'll watch them again every five-ish years (Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction), or they're not my thing at all (Kill Bill 1 and 2). The one exception is Jackie Brown, which I love and could watch nearly any time, for two reasons - the music, and Pam Grier. :)

Saying that, regardless of whether I liked them or not, each film still has scenes I like, and The Hateful Eight is no exception:
Spoiler

But The Hateful Eight just didn't do it for me, and this is also the first time where some of the violence hasn't come across as the usual Tarantino comically-overdone, and actually left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth (didn't offend me or anything, it just wasn't presented with his usually excellent style of depiction, which helps diffuse things). And I have to agree with you Gothneo, it really did drag in some places. I could easily watch seven hours of Inglorious Basterds, but this should've finished up in no more than two.

Overall, I didn't hate it, but likewise I wouldn't be bothered if I never saw it again either. With Tarantino saying he's only making two more films before quitting for good (with a strong possibility that one of them is Kill Bill 3), I'm a bit worried that my love of his films has already peaked between Basterds and Django. I just hope he puts Christoph Waltz in one more film, as they're a match made in film heaven. Speaking of Christoph Waltz...

Spoiler

#3 djc242

djc242

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 10:19 PM

I'll prob see it soon, just so I'm not left out of watercooler talk at work.

Glad to see some love for Jackie Brown!! My favorite Tarantino film!

"Aw, the milk went bad when I was in jail."

#4 s8film40

s8film40

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 10:46 PM

I was so very happy just to see film again in the theater much less some really great 70mm. 

The movie was great! I probably enjoyed Django a little more than this but I really appreciated what he did. I really enjoy these trapped in a room type stories and adding the mystery elements made it interesting. I've always been impressed with someone who can write a story that's just people in a room talking. The Breakfast Club, Enterprise's Shuttle pod episode, and The Man From Earth are some of my favorites for this reason and this is right up there with those. I will probably want to watch this over again occasionally.

#5 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 04:35 AM

Yeah, Tarantino loves dialog. I re-watched... well tried to re-watch... Death Proof last night. It has its moments, but overall that one just drags on too much and really has very little point, other than to make a movie with authentic car chase scenes and Zoe Bell... playing herself, is an absolute delight in Death Proof. There I don't think all the dialog really works, and that has to be close to the bottom of the list for me.

Django, Bastards, and Pulp Fiction have to be some of his best work, and the rest probably line up by your preference.

I do think Jackie Brown is underrated by many people, in total that's a well told, coherent story thats pretty engaging!

#6 Morgan

Morgan

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 756 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 07:30 PM

I haven't seen it, probably will, but in the trailers there is very clearly an actor playing a part that was written for Christoph Waltz. I like the fact that there are now Christoph Waltz impersonators. (He must have been busy with that James Bond film).

#7 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 05:24 PM

That's Tim Roth. Its arguable if that role was written for him or Waltz... according to this, it was written for Roth. Roth has been in Tarintino's films since Reservoir Dog's... he played the undercover cop in that. He was also in Pulp Fiction... he was "Honey Bunny's" Boy friend.. opening and closing scenes.

Waltz has played more "German" roles as he is actually Austrian-German. Roth is English, but is actually quite skilled at doing accents, so we can be sure the accent he uses in Hateful Eight is what Tarintino wanted. I wouldn't call Roth a Waltz impersonator... one of his strongest performances was in Rob Roy... he was despicable in that!

They both have very impressive careers!

#8 s8film40

s8film40

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 06:10 PM

Tim Roth was also really great in Four Rooms, which of course Tarantino participated in. It's one of my favorite movies and I really enjoyed Tarantino's "room".

#9 djc242

djc242

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 06:14 PM

Four Rooms is interesting and Tim Roth was very good in it. My favorite was the Antonio Banderas' kids room, which was the third one I think. Just thinking about it makes me chuckle! :)

#10 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 06:20 PM

^^^ Absolutely!

Banderas: "Are you calling my kids a pain in the ass??!!"

Roth: "No sir! Its the Situation that's a pain in the ass!"

Banderas: "No... you were right the first time... they *are* a pain in the ass!"

Hilarious!

#11 s8film40

s8film40

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 06:25 PM

Yep that is my favorite room, first time I saw it was laughing so hard by the time that room ended!

#12 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 12:37 AM

Roth was also fantastic opposite Gary Oldman in the genius "Rosencrantz And Guildenstern Are Dead". I never fail to delight in his performances.

I just saw Hateful Eight this evening.

For me, it "zinged" much better than Inglorious Basterds, which is the last Tarantino film I've seen - still haven't gotten around to Django Unchained.

I enjoyed The Hateful Eight rather a lot, though it's not a "Big Important Movie", or a classic. I think it sits squarely in the middle-ground of Tarantino's offerings - better than Basterds and Deathproof, worse than Pulp and Dogs, and sitting alongside Jackie Brown in the "extremely satisfying" category. Kill Bill is so tonally different and self-aware that it's hard to compare.

Spoiler

Overall, I left the cinema with a smile on my face. I wasn't impressed as such, but I was sure-as-hell entertained. I'm not sure I'll remember anything about the film in a year's time, though.

#13 s8film40

s8film40

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 07:32 AM

Roth was also fantastic opposite Gary Oldman in the genius "Rosencrantz And Guildenstern Are Dead". I never fail to delight in his performances.

I just saw Hateful Eight this evening.

For me, it "zinged" much better than Inglorious Basterds, which is the last Tarantino film I've seen - still haven't gotten around to Django Unchained.

I enjoyed The Hateful Eight rather a lot, though it's not a "Big Important Movie", or a classic. I think it sits squarely in the middle-ground of Tarantino's offerings - better than Basterds and Deathproof, worse than Pulp and Dogs, and sitting alongside Jackie Brown in the "extremely satisfying" category. Kill Bill is so tonally different and self-aware that it's hard to compare.

Spoiler

Overall, I left the cinema with a smile on my face. I wasn't impressed as such, but I was sure-as-hell entertained. I'm not sure I'll remember anything about the film in a year's time, though.

Did you see the standard version or the roadshow version? The spoiler your speaking of made sense to me as you were coming back from  the intermission, I kind of wondered if that was in the standard version also.

#14 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 09:29 AM

Well, there was no intermission for me, so I guess it was the standard?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users