Photo

For the DS9 and Voyager figures which episode...

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 BradMan

BradMan

Toys before the light bill.

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 06:40 PM

So looking at the TNG line, the characters as they appeared in "All Good Things" made sense as the kind of "subset" variants in each wave. Every character had a different look, it was the series finale... it made sense.

Which DS9 and Voyager episodes would have the same sort of effect for those lines of figures?

For DS9, I would obviously go with "Far Beyond the Stars". Not only is it an episode that would produce some very interesting figures variants, but it was one of the best episodes in the series if not in all of Star Trek. For those who don't remember or didn't follow DS9 all the closely, "Far Beyond the Stars" was the episode in which Sisko had visions of himself as a Black science fiction writer in the 1950s United States dealing with all the accompanying racism and hardships. It was dramatic, artistic, poignant and the sort of social commentary that made for the best of Star Trek. I think to see each of the main characters as they appeared in the episode as humans on Earth in the 1950s would be a fitting tribute. You've got Sisko as Benny Russel, Worf as Willie Hawkins (supposed to be Willie Mays or at least invoke him), and all the rest of the senior staff.

As far as a Voyager episode that had the same kind of impact... I am at a loss. I must admit that I am not as familiar with Voyager as I am with the other series, but I cannot think of an episode that featured the entire cast with a different "look" the way that "All Good Things" and "Far Beyond the Stars" did. I know most of the crew gets assimilated in "Unimatrix Zero", but as I recall it's not the entire crew. And the same goes for "Endgame"... not all of the characters appear in the alternate future. Voyager fans, any suggestions?

#2 Artistix

Artistix

Trek Toy.com Member of the Month Feb 2010

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 06:56 PM

AGT were relatively simple re-use of the regular figures for the most part.

I'm not sure how they could incorporate that into DS9 or Voyager sets. Most DS9 groups would require heavy alterations & new molding.

For Voyager, all I could think of is the evil alternate crew from.....the episode thats name always escapes me!....but as people have said before, It may not be a big enough difference in appearance for DST to bother. Though Chakotay, EMH & Janeway would certainly be nice.

#3 knightone

knightone

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 07:24 PM

QUOTE(Artistix @ Sep 5 2007, 07:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
AGT were relatively simple re-use of the regular figures for the most part.

??????

Most of the AGT lines sculpts seem to be completely original and apart from the uniform variants as far as I can tell. Even the split at the pant hem on the civilian outfits is different from the uniform pants. The AGT line was more expensive a venture than the movie uniform variants as far as I can tell because the movie uniform variants just neeeded a new upper body and upper arms. The AGT civilian outfits needed a lot more new parts.

But, of course, the AGT line was concepted before the line launched and they thought sales would be higher than they have been. I'm sure that is going to be taken into account for DS9 and Voyager, so we probably won't see releases like the AGT figures for either of those lines anytime soon. For DS9 I can't see them going past the S7 and S3 versions too much until after Voyager is done. And, for Voyager, I can only see them doing S7 versions of everyone (plus some kind of Kes) except for 7 of 9, who I can see getting many variants and exclusives.

#4 Artistix

Artistix

Trek Toy.com Member of the Month Feb 2010

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 07:38 PM

Oi...why must I comment on figures I don't even own! biggrin.gif

Indeed. Though they did manage to keep some re-used legs & arms in the mix, & those which were altered, wouldn't have been as extravagant as the DS9/Voy choices....maybe.

The difference between the AGT figures & say the 1950's or baseball figures or Killing Game set, you wouldn't be able to use many of the existing parts.

I did not mean to suggest the AGT line was 'simple' in itself, but by comparison.

QUOTE(knightone @ Sep 6 2007, 11:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
the AGT line was concepted before the line launched and they thought sales would be higher than they have been. I'm sure that is going to be taken into account for DS9 and Voyager,

I didn't even think about that, & you'd undoubtedly be right.

#5 A Chimpanzee & 2 Trainees

A Chimpanzee & 2 Trainees

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 710 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 08:35 PM

Voyager's "Living Witness" had the Doctor's backup program re-activated hundreds of years in the future, and he was in a holographic exhibit of the the Voyager crew which had things like.... Chakotay with a huge version of his tatoo, Janeway with these cool black gloves and other slight alterations to her uniform, a more borgified 7... I think for the most part these would be in line with the spirit of (and probably much cheaper than) the AGT or TOS Mirror sets...

#6 Jedigreedo

Jedigreedo

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 08:37 PM

Hmm...the alternate crew versions that come to mind are:

DS9:
Mirror Universe (we've already got Worf)
The Niners (Baseball team - "Take Me Out to the Holosuite") (though that wouldn't actually have much of the crew...)

Voyager:
Older versions ("Endgame")
"Warship" crew ("Living Witness")
Civilian workers/ECH ("Workforce")

#7 knightone

knightone

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 08:58 PM

QUOTE(Artistix @ Sep 5 2007, 08:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oi...why must I comment on figures I don't even own! biggrin.gif

Indeed. Though they did manage to keep some re-used legs & arms in the mix, & those which were altered, wouldn't have been as extravagant as the DS9/Voy choices....maybe.

The difference between the AGT figures & say the 1950's or baseball figures or Killing Game set, you wouldn't be able to use many of the existing parts.

I did not mean to suggest the AGT line was 'simple' in itself, but by comparison.
I didn't even think about that, & you'd undoubtedly be right.

For the most part, the AGT figures really only reused the waist and the upper legs at the most. Most of the other parts were new sculpts. I'm sure any DS9 or Voyager variants would be able to use those two parts as well throughout a series of variants. But, as mentioned, considering that they probably have to account for smaller production numbers unless a drastic increase in sales occurs, we probably won't see as many variants released with the DS9 and Voyager figures when their respective lines are released. That doesn't mean, of course, that we won't see variants later, down the line, after the core release are finished. It just means the waves won't be as large as they have been for TNG.

Also keep in mind that AGT had more of an impact on TNG than "Take Me Out to the Holosuite" had on DS9 or "Living Witness" had on Voyager. "Endgame" variants for Voyager and mirror universe variants for DS9 would be more likely than one-off variants from more random episodes.

#8 reverie

reverie

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,321 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 06:33 AM

While rewatching "Take Me Out To The Holosuite", I thought it'd be great for figures to be made of the team. They could always farm them out to McFarlane and be made into sports statues. wink.gif

"Far Beyond The Stars" is a great suggestions as well. But I'll take the Niners first!

#9 Wildcard

Wildcard

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 11:45 AM

Well, if we're talking SPECIFIC episodes, then this would be my suggestion:

DS9:
"Trials and Tribbleations"-SURPISE, we've already got them LOL (except for variants for Odo and Worf)
The Mirror Universe episodes (since the entire cast never appeared in one single episode as their mirror dopplegangers)
I like the idea for "Take me out to the Holosuite"...I think that would be a cool variant
"Far Beyond The Stars" or "Badda-Bing Badda-Bang" would also be options as well (come on, who wouldn't want to see an Ezri in that waitress outfit?)

VOY:
"The Killing Game" is the only real episode that comes to mind. Now there are episode specific variants for each character that I'd like to see (i.e. Captain Proton and Buster Kinkaid), but they're from various episodes, not one specific eppie.

I know I'm probably the only one who wants this, but I'd love to see all the crews in dress uniforms. (Especially Kira's, since we only got to see it in a handfull of episodes).

#10 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 11:55 AM

I would love to see all of the crews in their dress uniforms above any other varients (of course I want the standard uniforms first). I dont care if all of the crews were never shown on screen in dress attire. I would still buy them.

#11 Chalksquared

Chalksquared

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 812 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, performing (on stage), drawing, and collecting anything (24th century) Trek.

Posted 06 September 2007 - 04:47 PM

I know I am probably one of the few here, but I would LOVE the characters from "Endgame" because it would fit in with my AGT Beverly & Riker nicely. Mainly, I just want an old Admiral Janeway (in which they could use AGT Beverly's body) and an Ensign Paris...

#12 ECH

ECH

Newforce is my home page.

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 12:13 PM

^^Absolutely. I think having the Endgame variants for Voyager would be the best option... even though they'd be no Chakotay and Seven. But remember there was no Troi in the AGT future either.

As for DS9, I'm not too sure no that. If memory serves there was an episode set in a similar time to AGT/Endgame, The Visitor I think it was. But I think Dax, Bashir, Jake and Nog were the only ones in it. So it might be better to go with one of the holosuite episodes or Far Beyond the Stars.

#13 Jedigreedo

Jedigreedo

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 12:45 PM

"Far Beyond The Stars" would be pretty nice, especially since it would mean human versions of the masked actors.

They could make up for a lack of Chakotay from "Endgame" by doing the older versions of Harry Kim and Chakotay from Voyager's "Timeless."

They could also do Captain LaForge. biggrin.gif http://voy.trekcore....a...=97&pos=221

#14 MattP

MattP

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 02:49 PM

Surprised that nobody's mentioned "Our Man Bashir" for DS9.. one of my favourite episodes smile.gif

#15 Chalksquared

Chalksquared

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 812 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, performing (on stage), drawing, and collecting anything (24th century) Trek.

Posted 07 September 2007 - 03:27 PM

QUOTE(MattP @ Sep 7 2007, 04:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Surprised that nobody's mentioned "Our Man Bashir" for DS9.. one of my favourite episodes smile.gif

Like some I personally am only interested in uniformed figures (which is why I passed on most of the AGT line), which is not to say I don't hope they make figures of the cast in civilian clothing/costumes.

I would lOVE to see Nog, Dax, and Bashir in the AGT uniforms as seen in "The Visitor", but not holding out hope for it.

Something I would love to see, but know it will never happen, is to see the characters from the novels post-TV series made into figures. Ro as security Chief of DS9, Commander Vale from the Titan...
Sorry to veer off topic there for a sec...

#16 pickard

pickard

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 04:24 PM

None.

No episodes jump out as being as memorable, and with unique outfits, as All Good Things...

I'm a huge VOY and DS9 fan, and I'll be happy with standard versions of each.

#17 BStu

BStu

Tracking number maniac

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 11:17 PM

To be perfectly honest, I'd prefer they not to episode specific variants for DS9 or Voyager. First off, DS9 already has obvious uniform variations to do that'll take up much of the crew. The original duty uniforms, obviously, but also TNG style uniforms for most of the crew would be welcome and were featured on the show.

As to Voyager, honestly I'm expecting that those figures may never get made. I REALLY hope I'm wrong because I love Voyager, but I'm not going to push my luck and hope for lots of variants. Re-use everything, just get them out. I'll be happy with a hairstyle variant for Janeway, and appropriate versions of The Doctor (Zimmerman, ECH, First Contact EMH). If I was to want a variation, as completely screen unsupported as it would be, I'd actually want the crew in First Contact uniforms before I'd want anything from a specific episode. If really pushed, I guess Marquis variants and a full Borg version of Seven could be nice, but really nothing beyond that would seem worthwhile to me.

#18 Thomas E. Johnson

Thomas E. Johnson

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 495 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 01:49 AM

All the versions of the Borg Queen would be nice.

O'Brien and Bashir in their "Last Stand At The Alamo" outfits, and their "Battle Of Britain" outfits would be cool.

Lots of choices I think.

spock2.gif

#19 pickard

pickard

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 05:43 AM

QUOTE(BStu @ Sep 19 2007, 01:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As to Voyager, honestly I'm expecting that those figures may never get made. I REALLY hope I'm wrong because I love Voyager, but I'm not going to push my luck and hope for lots of variants. Re-use everything, just get them out.

Amen to that. I just want the main crewmembers in their standard outfits. At least four Seven variants are possible and likely (maroon, silver, two-tone blue and Starfleet uniform), but we'll be lucky if we just get one of each castmember. Never mind episode-specific figures or miscellaneous ensign who appeared in 6 episodes in season 2. I'm not even convinced we'll get a Kes figure, which I know will be infuriating to some here.

#20 ECH

ECH

Newforce is my home page.

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 11:45 AM

Voyager is a long way off yet so I don't think we should get too far ahead of ourselves. But I will say that the main crew are certain to be done if nothing else. That is, as far as I understand it, DST

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users