• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 MisterPL

MisterPL

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 15 May 2020 - 12:34 PM

I don't think we can move anyone like Walmart by contacting them.

Try.

#22 RizzoPSU

RizzoPSU

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 15 May 2020 - 06:18 PM

Didn't he basically just say that??

wait here... maybe this will make you feel better!

I feel better now. 🤗

#23 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 15 May 2020 - 10:16 PM

Maybe... I think if Walmart didn't carry product at all, you need a digital grass roots campaign to get the product in a store... but they do carry product, what you need to do is get the stores in your area to carry it then.... but if we just want more product then all of Walmart carries... I'd think a national campaign might have some effect... its been done with other things!

I don't think local stores get to decide to carry a product like a toy line, that is, I don't think they get to carry things not on some corporate Walmart list where price and such has already been negotiated at the corporate level (I do think some stores opt in to more/different things on that list than others as there are some near me which are really into hot wheels and vehicles more than others based on local demographics). Even if they could I don't think 1, 2, or even 10 local guys saying they'd buy something would move a manager's heart to order it because as we all know probably like 1% of those people will then actually get out their wallet...

#24 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 16 May 2020 - 08:49 AM

Walgreens has over 9,000 stores.

They carry Minimates for one reason; the previous toy buyer is a fan of Minimates.

It only takes one person in the right position to get a retailer to carry Star Trek toys.

#25 DSTZach

DSTZach

I can stop I just don't want to.

• VIP
  • 696 posts

Posted 18 May 2020 - 10:54 AM

Stop, stop, stop, trying to justify with an answer and just flat out complain! Bitch and argue what has been vent up for over 10 years. Stop being the backseat coach and just f@cking complain to DST to the point where DSTZach says; "work continues, or factory problems'.

If that makes you feel better, "work continues." Complaining isn't really the best way to get anything done, but supporting the Trek brand overall certainly helps. Some people say they'd pay more for a limited run of something, but they would be better off investing in other Trek products to show the health of the brand to retailers, rather than waiting for one specific one and hoping the retailers get THAT one. Stinks, but it is what it is. 

I know there has been some reorganization since the CBS merger. It has held up the process a bit recently. Obviously that doesn't account for everything. 

#26 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 18 May 2020 - 03:37 PM

Some people say they'd pay more for a limited run of something, but they would be better off investing in other Trek products to show the health of the brand to retailers, rather than waiting for one specific one and hoping the retailers get THAT one. Stinks, but it is what it is. 

So... buy more Kirk's and Spock's ? I get what your saying, but when your talking about collectors... we all have our niches... some of like the mego products... some like playmates... some actually like DST! some like ships, some like action figures, some like role play! 

#27 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 18 May 2020 - 07:22 PM

As tired as I am of classic TOS-era Minimates (not to be confused with contemporary TOS-era 'mates based on DISCO, SNW, and JJ) I'd probably buy more of them if it made it easy to create other crew members.

I keep saying a 4-pack of the TNG crew that had enough spare parts to create four additional crew members would encourage multiple sales. Mix & match is the brand's play pattern. Take advantage of it!

#28 Razorgeist

Razorgeist

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 505 posts

Posted 19 May 2020 - 02:10 AM

I don't know WHY they're taking so long, but they are.

As Gothneo said Zach thanks for the direct and honest answer.

#29 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 19 May 2020 - 12:04 PM

As tired as I am of classic TOS-era Minimates (not to be confused with contemporary TOS-era 'mates based on DISCO, SNW, and JJ) I'd probably buy more of them if it made it easy to create other crew members.

I keep saying a 4-pack of the TNG crew that had enough spare parts to create four additional crew members would encourage multiple sales. Mix & match is the brand's play pattern. Take advantage of it!

yeah... but we couldn't even get Rand and Chappel and basically those were just a headsculpt -yes there should have been differences in hight and on Chappels uni... but thats how it goes... plus... they already had TOS bodies they could have dumpped more trials and tribulation characters... we could have gotten ENT mirror figures... there were just tons of simple knock offs that we would have complained about at the time... but I for one would have bought them all!  

to your point they could re-release many figures with two head sculpts... and then watch some buy them twice!

#30 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 19 May 2020 - 03:37 PM

Walgreens has over 9,000 stores.

They carry Minimates for one reason; the previous toy buyer is a fan of Minimates.

It only takes one person in the right position to get a retailer to carry Star Trek toys.

That may be...but....

1) Explain how writing in letters as shoppers will get that person in the right position

2) Explain how Walgreens is Walmart

I think a more likely approach than #1 to achieve the same goal would be to go get yourself credentials to get hired as the Walmart toy buyer.  Plus it could be a whole new fun line of work!  :P

#31 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 20 May 2020 - 04:30 AM

The individual Walmart managers must have some flexibility... and they have to have dept heads that make decisions... because I've lived in places where there are 4 or 5 Walmarts... and while one decides to clearance a ton of toys... 5 miles down the road another Walmart carrying the same stock leaves it on the peg. So you could call and ask for the manager of the toy dept, and I bet they will give you someone?

#32 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 20 May 2020 - 03:01 PM

That may be...but....

1) Explain how writing in letters as shoppers will get that person in the right position

2) Explain how Walgreens is Walmart

I think a more likely approach than #1 to achieve the same goal would be to go get yourself credentials to get hired as the Walmart toy buyer.  Plus it could be a whole new fun line of work!  :P

This isn't about getting a fan hired at Walmart. Walgreens has a much smaller toy department and has to be more discriminating especially because they're in a different market. That says a lot about Minimates, a brand that most toy consumers probably haven't heard of.

I've seen manufacturers react to a single letter. It all depends on the context.

How many collectors are writing in to retailers to ask for any toys? It's not like Trek collectors will be lost in the din. 

"Writing letters" is what Trekkies do. Or at least they used to. They did it to get more seasons of their favorite shows. They did it to get NASA to name the first shuttle Enterprise. That was way back in the 20th century when it actually took effort.

You're literally putting more effort into arguing about it that it would take to simply contact the mass market retailer of your choice and let them know you'd be very interested in seeing your favorite Star Trek product in their toy aisles.

#33 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 20 May 2020 - 03:05 PM

The individual Walmart managers must have some flexibility... and they have to have dept heads that make decisions... because I've lived in places where there are 4 or 5 Walmarts... and while one decides to clearance a ton of toys... 5 miles down the road another Walmart carrying the same stock leaves it on the peg. So you could call and ask for the manager of the toy dept, and I bet they will give you someone?

Store managers only control the inventory they're given. In Walmart's case, those decisions are made in Bentonville. The corporate buyers are the ones who are visiting Toy Fair and the Licensing Show to see what products and properties might appeal to their consumers. And if their consumers have been expressing an interest in Star Trek thanks to the content on CBS All Access, they'll pay attention. 

I was part of that industry for 25 years. Trust me.

#34 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 20 May 2020 - 10:20 PM

so I guess the decision to clear inventory or not, is theirs?!

#35 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 21 May 2020 - 11:59 AM

If inventory isn't moving, it's not unusual to see it put on sale at some locations and not others depending on region, the amount of inventory, and how other areas are performing. It might be worthwhile to move inventory from one store to another or it might cost more than it's worth just to ship a few units.

#36 RizzoPSU

RizzoPSU

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 23 May 2020 - 11:46 PM

Sorry Zach, factory problems to your response. Work continues though!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users