• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#1 sallah

sallah

Herbert.

• Members
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 09:50 AM

...includes confirmation that the Romulan Kirk/ Spock 2-pack has been moved into the "On Hold" category. Bummer. I wonder if the other 2 packs are still coming?

http://www.artasylum.../04/ask-dst-82/

Sallah

#2 QuePaso?

QuePaso?

Newforce is my home page.

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 10:06 AM

Bummer, but not surprising.

This was the only February 2-pack I was looking forward to. Guess that will become another dust-covered item in my pre-order bin at BBTS.

Might be time to finally ship my pile o' loot!

#3 knightone

knightone

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 02:56 PM

The answer to the last question was interesting. Are they starting to look at TNG era Tek releases? Before they would respond that TNG wasn't really being considered and that they wanted to concentrate on TOS and the classic movies.

#4 eti

eti

Knows the way to Eden

• Members
  • 127 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek (TOS, TNG, DS9, VOY)<br />Battlestar Galactica (1978 &amp; 2003)<br />Stargate SG1 &amp; Atlantis<br />Star Wars<br />V (1984)<br />Aliens<br />Civil Aviation

Posted 05 April 2010 - 03:23 PM

QUOTE (knightone @ Apr 6 2010, 09:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The answer to the last question was interesting. Are they starting to look at TNG era Tek releases? Before they would respond that TNG wasn't really being considered and that they wanted to concentrate on TOS and the classic movies.

I think Chuck was upset with the question before that one, which resulted in him giving a maybe to TNG Tek and that HOPING conclusion

#5 Totalus_Kat

Totalus_Kat

Knows the way to Eden

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 03:56 PM

You know I wonder if Chuck gets fed up of answering the same questions over and over? Because it always seems to the same thing, whens this coming out... why was this cancelled... and it kinda irritates me a bit, if people did enough research and read the various articles they'd have there answers. I'm not saying DST are perfect but by god they're trying and I think it be nice if Chuck had at least one full issue where it was all compliments etc. on the awesome work they do not too mention I don't know of any other company that takes the time to listen to its fans.

*gets off his soap box*

regs,
TK

P.S Well by listen, I mean listen within reason instead of asking for the damn phaser rifles.

#6 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 05 April 2010 - 04:28 PM

I disagree. Alsmost every company does some sort of Q&A and I think DST doesnt do nearly as much. Some of the Mattel Q&As actually give real info about their products. I think DST should just stop doing this altogether. Pretty much everythings been cancelled, why continue to answer questions that dont really give any sort of new information but just repeat whats already known? Just come out and say they are suspending the Q&A. Another option would be to only accept a limited number of questions questions from maybe a site like this and have those answered with real answers. That way they are still connecting with the customers but with a general purpose. This Q&A has become mostly useless to me in this format.

#7 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • Interests:"Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?"

Posted 05 April 2010 - 04:40 PM

Amen to that. Like the old saying, no news is good news. Right?

#8 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 06:08 PM

QUOTE (TheHSBR @ Apr 5 2010, 05:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I disagree. Alsmost every company does some sort of Q&A and I think DST doesnt do nearly as much. Some of the Mattel Q&As actually give real info about their products. I think DST should just stop doing this altogether. Pretty much everythings been cancelled, why continue to answer questions that dont really give any sort of new information but just repeat whats already known? Just come out and say they are suspending the Q&A. Another option would be to only accept a limited number of questions questions from maybe a site like this and have those answered with real answers. That way they are still connecting with the customers but with a general purpose. This Q&A has become mostly useless to me in this format.

Thats not entirely true. Matell does "OK" (not great) with the questions but some of the others are horrible. Hasbro never gives a straight answer and most of the time just says " we do not provide that kind of information" (to most questions). DST at least tries to make it fun and personal by addressing the people asking directly and not making them go through some toy site, they just dont always give the answers that we want to hear. Which if they did it would be nothing but yes we are making this.... yes we will do that... yes you can ask for specific products and we will make them... But they cant becuase they are a business and dont work that way.

#9 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 06:42 PM

I don't want to see an end to the Q&A by any means it just looks like DST doesn't really have any thing news to report and these recent Q&As are just driving that point home. I really hope that 2011 will be better! I don't like the way that it was said that Playmates has no interest in Trek now either. That almost seems like maybe we'll be back to the days of no Trek figures at all. I really wish Hasbro would have got the 2009 license. I think they would have concentrated on 3 3/4" only and left the 7" license open for DST then everyone might have seen something more in line with what they were wanting. That April Fools joke that cooltoyreview did listed a Hasbro toyline that really should have seen the light of day. I am very pessimistic of Playmates ever striking gold with the Star Trek line again, however I will probably still buy into their offerings come 2012!

#10 weyoun_9

weyoun_9

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 433 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 08:00 PM

"Dave Cordes

I just saw that DST is making Series 5 Classic Trek figures available for pre-order again which includes the Romulan, Kirk in green casual shirt, and Scotty. What I want to know is why you simply can

#11 A Chimpanzee & 2 Trainees

A Chimpanzee & 2 Trainees

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 710 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 08:42 PM

I can definitely see how that can be read ambiguously, but when I first read it, I thought he was referring to McCoy, Chapel, and Rand as not being tooled in Asia. The only reason they seem to be producing this wave anyway is because TRU's wave was already tooled before it was cancelled. Since the TRU wave included the new Kirk sculpt, I'm fairly certain what we'll see has the new head. Obviously we won't know definitively until it's released (or someone asks a follow-up in the Q&A), but I'd be thoroughly surprised if it wasn't the new head. Assuming it is tooled, I don't see how not providing the new head sculpt saves them any money over using the old one. It can only help them since it will be a motivating factor for many collectors (myself included) to pick up that figure.

#12 Quadrotritacale

Quadrotritacale

The card is maxed out.

• Members
  • 254 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 08:46 PM

QUOTE (weyoun_9 @ Apr 5 2010, 08:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I can't tell from this if the Kirk is the new sculpt Kirk and it is only McCoy, Chapel and Rand that are not tooled in Asia. I'm assuming it's the new Kirk from the photo...anyone else find this confusing?

Yeah, that was the only useful action figure response in the whole thing, and he's saying that the new sculpt Kirk (originally to be released with McCoy, Chapel, and Rand) is now part of a wave with Romulan and Scotty because Kirk, Romulan, and Scotty were already in production before ToysRus dropped them. On the other hand, McCoy, Chapel, and Rand never got produced.

Also, I resent the suggestion earlier in this thread that people are asking questions they would know the answer to if they just did research. I asked about the Romulan Kirk & Spock 2 pack as well as wave 5, because the Romulan Kirk & Spock two pack has been listed with a "February 24, 2010" release date in the DST store for months and once that day came and went, they didn't even bother to change its status. Same deal with wave 5, which has been on "TBD" status in the store for months. If they would update their information once in awhile, people wouldn't be so baffled about when things are coming out, and they wouldn't keep getting the same questions. How can people research when there is no information that can be dug up through research?

#13 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 02:48 AM

I think it does show that DST is willing to take a bit of a risk though... like Chuck siad, if the TRU wave they are making doesn't sell through, then they will loose money.

I really hope it does, other wise we def won't see them take a risk and put out the Rand, Chapple, McCoy wave. ever (and thats probably the case already)

#14 Jedigreedo

Jedigreedo

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 04:59 AM

I'm curious if they'll make a similar 3-figure wave if it does well, or if they can only break even on it.

Hopefully the pre-sell out at BBTS is evidence that people will actually buy Trek figures, but DST has to actually be MAKING them rather than sitting around on their afts waiting for preorders.

#15 Tiberius

Tiberius

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 10:48 AM

I understand the statement as being, 'the money has been spent on actual moulds. money has been lost by TRU bailing out, so there is a choice to suck it up now, or try to sell a limited run and hope to break even, or atleast not lose as much'. This is why we are getting the figures they are offering.
The remainder of the wave 5 need to be tooled for moulds to be cut, that is costly. I think I heard a statement a long time ago, that the heads are not as costly to produce. If this is true, out of the wave 5, Rand is the only cheaper figure to make, Chapel has a new torso and McCoy a new torso and arms. The other figures they might consider, in the head sculpt pricing theory, would be Romulan Commander and Romulan Kirk, also the new head Spock and the Pilot Kirk/Spock. I am pretty sure they have the body parts for these figures, now if only I am correct and they can take the plunge.
It does look like they are sinking fast though sad.gif

#16 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 12:02 PM

QUOTE (Tiberius @ Apr 6 2010, 11:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It does look like they are sinking fast though sad.gif

Neither did the HMS Titanic. I hope they will make enough to keep this line going but I doubt we will see anything this year. If these figures don't return any profit, 2011 isn't looking so good either. We might be in for a long wait if DST and Playmates only run lines to coincide with movie releases. Then there would be no hope for TNG, DS9 and VOY figures!

#17 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 12:35 PM

QUOTE (bgiles73 @ Apr 6 2010, 11:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Neither did the HMS Titanic.

It was actually the RMS Titanic smile.gif

#18 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 04:19 PM

Yeah, your'e right. I was thinking HMS Bounty. RMS was for Royal Mail Steamer wasn't it? HMS was Her Majesty's Ship too I believe. Somehow HMS sounds better. HMS Enterprise anybody? biggrin.gif

#19 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 06:17 PM

QUOTE (bgiles73 @ Apr 6 2010, 03:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
RMS was for Royal Mail Steamer wasn't it?

that's exactly what it means hehe. I have had a fascination with that ship since I was like 5 years old. I even have a piece of coal from her.

#20 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 10:11 PM

I've always been interested in the Titanic as well. I have a really detailed model of her that my wife bought for my birthday a few years back. I need to put that together. The size of the Titanic is the reason why I have no problems with JJ Abrahms "Super Sized" Enterprise in the 2009 movie. If we were making ships that big in 1912 why should it be so difficult to envision the Enterprise as a truly majestic ship?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users