Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 10:58 PM

QUOTE(LocutusOfTuborg @ Feb 16 2007, 04:02 AM) View Post

And another "compare the scale" thingy.

IPB Image

LoT

Is Data taller than Barclay? It's hard to tell because some of the figures are in the foreground, but it looks like Barclay uses the Geordi body, even though Schultz is 6" taller than Burton and 2" taller than Spiner.

#42 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,101 posts
  • Interests:Collecting Art Asylum 7" Star trek action figures.

Star trek & writing fan fiction.

Posted 17 February 2007 - 03:24 AM

QUOTE(Sybeck1 @ Feb 17 2007, 02:49 AM) View Post

Note to DST concerning the clinched fist on some of the figures:

A clinched fist is more appropriate for villians and adolescent boys, not on heroes of the line such as Data.

Particularly when it prevents him from playing his violin! huh.gif

#43 LocutusOfTuborg

LocutusOfTuborg

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 468 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 03:32 AM

QUOTE(pickard @ Feb 17 2007, 05:58 AM) View Post

Is Data taller than Barclay? It's hard to tell because some of the figures are in the foreground, but it looks like Barclay uses the Geordi body, even though Schultz is 6" taller than Burton and 2" taller than Spiner.

Pickard, here's one for better comparison:

IPB Image#

LoT

#44 LocutusOfTuborg

LocutusOfTuborg

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 468 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 03:35 AM

QUOTE(Samwise Gamgee @ Feb 16 2007, 11:55 PM) View Post

Wow LoT, I must give a BIG THANK YOU for posting all of the photos that you have. It's always good when you get new figures. smile.gif By the way, where have all the beauty shots gone on your site? Those were the best photos around.

Thx for the nice words... smile.gif

About the beauty-shots:
I migrated to another server and this one doesn't have that much space for uploads...

#45 pickard

pickard

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 06:40 AM

QUOTE(LocutusOfTuborg @ Feb 17 2007, 04:32 AM) View Post

Pickard, here's one for better comparison:
LoT

Cool. At least the wave is in scale within itself. (Never expected Reg to get his own body at a height between Data & Riker.)

Thanks, LoT.

I'm going to see check some stores for these today. I'll pick up Geordi and Data at least, if the paint apps are bearable.

#46 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 06:54 AM

WEll, there's not alot more I can say about this wave that hasn't already been said.

I spent about 2 hrs boiling my figures and trying to reset the legs on Data & Barclay,

Some of the paint was actually missing from Barclay's pants, and he doesn't stand up right... even after trying to fix him.

Both have a left leg that seems a bit long and out of sorts.

Missing bases... lack of any accessories for Lore and the general quality issues with the wave have me overall dissapointed.

I'm glad we got them, but DST has done better inthe past and I hope they do better in the future.

I'm not going to dwell on the issues, as I think it's better to move on and hope that the next TNG wave is done as good as the first two.

#47 DavAnthony

DavAnthony

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 12:32 PM

I"m thinking what might work on these, is if you can switch the waist and legs of Barclay with the waist and legs of the Picard figure. It should boost up Barclay's height and bring Picard down a bit since the waist and legs appear to be oversized on the Picard figures anyway.

LOT is the Data wave made from that same "rubberized" plastic as the previous DST TNG figures?

Dave

#48 skeletor

skeletor

The card is maxed out.

• Members
  • 272 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 01:35 PM

I gotta say, at first i was terriably dissapointed with the new Data when i first saw it, but these pictures here Data looks pretty damn good. I think the paint for his "skin" looks very accurate. The nemesis data was great, but I think the paint on him was maybe too white.

Great pictures! smile.gif

#49 knightone

knightone

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 02:13 PM

QUOTE(DavAnthony @ Feb 17 2007, 12:32 PM) View Post

I"m thinking what might work on these, is if you can switch the waist and legs of Barclay with the waist and legs of the Picard figure. It should boost up Barclay's height and bring Picard down a bit since the waist and legs appear to be oversized on the Picard figures anyway.

I don't think that would work. The torso on the Data and LaForge figures are thinner than the one on Picard, so the waist would be much wider and stick out with the torsos from the Data and LaForge wave. I encountered the same problem when I tried to put the Riker torso on Picard's waist for my custom Nemesis Picard. That's why I had to use Picard's legs with Riker's waist and torso. Picard's body is as bulky as the one for the Worf figures.

#50 pickard

pickard

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 09:32 AM

I just ordered Geordi and Data directly from DST.

I hope mine look as good as LoT's. But that's one reason I ordered directly from DST. If they look like crap, I won't hesitate to complain.

I planned to purchase from Rick, but, since he isn't selling single figures right now, I would have to (again) buy more figures than I really want. (Still got a Tom Riker that I need to get rid of.)

I really didn't want to purchase these without holding them in my hand first, but the comic shop I buy from got very few of these. (Probably because of the wave 1 and 2 figs that are warming the pegs.) They didn't have any when I checked yesterday, but the clerk thought they only got in one set, a pre-order. (This is a very busy store, so that doesn't bode well for the line.)

#51 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 04:31 PM

I was finaly able to swap Data and Lores Left hand and they both look much better. As far as changing out Barclays hands with my extra Rikers hands that is a no go. The new figures have a much larger peg and hole so the older hands do not fit at all. They just fall right out.

#52 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 10:27 AM

My Data Won't stand sad.gif

I think this is the first time I've had such issues with AA/DST stuff.

It's very dissapointing.

Is Data's lower torso & legs a Re-use? Maybe I can use some S1 or S2 figure legs and just swap them so data will stand correctly.

Any Ideas out there?

#53 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 10:44 AM

QUOTE(JMW326 @ Feb 18 2007, 02:31 PM) View Post

I was finaly able to swap Data and Lores Left hand and they both ;ook much better. As far as cahnging out Barclays hands with my extra Rikers hands that is a no go. The new figures have a much larger peg and hole so the older hands do not fit at all. They just fall right out.

That is absloutely a briliant Idea, and the right thing to do.

Now Data can actualy hold and play his violin...

IPB Image

#54 knightone

knightone

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 11:34 AM

QUOTE(Gothneo @ Feb 19 2007, 10:27 AM) View Post

My Data Won't stand sad.gif

I think this is the first time I've had such issues with AA/DST stuff.

It's very dissapointing.

Is Data's lower torso & legs a Re-use? Maybe I can use some S1 or S2 figure legs and just swap them so data will stand correctly.

Any Ideas out there?

I say just contact DST customer service and get a replacement. In addition to getting a replacement for yourself, the more replacements DST has to issue, the better. It might do more to get DST to pay closer attention to QC if they have to issue a lot of replacement figures. Moreso than just emailing them complaints or pointing out complaints on an internet forum since having to replace figures actually costs them money, for the figures and for shipping.

#55 DavAnthony

DavAnthony

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 11:40 AM

I did that with my pilot Kirk. First figure's head snapped off, so I told them and I got a second replacement figure.

#56 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 01:29 PM

I think I'll do that. I had the same issue as DavAnthony for my Pike... Got a second one and it was fine.

#57 Artistix

Artistix

Trek Toy.com Member of the Month Feb 2010

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 03:30 PM

Awesome picture there Gothneo.

Did the hands swap easily at all? or was it a bit of an effort?

#58 thecapn

thecapn

• Members
  • 307 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 04:34 PM

First of all, Gothneo...sorry to hear about your Data. I assume that one or both of the leg joints is loose, mine is loose too but not that bad. I've heard people say that you can stiffen a joint by working some liquid super glue into the joint, then continuously moving it. The idea is that the glue hardens in the joint but doesn't stick together since you're moving it. Never done it myself, but a lot of people swear by it.

As far as the switching of the hands, it wasn't that bad. I had to boil and pop them out, but putting them back in was impossible, since the hands are made of a really rubbery plastic. So I widened the hole in the arms just enough with an XACTO knife with a broken tip (wonderful for doing these types of things) and snapped them back in. It worked fine.

#59 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 05:16 PM

Yep a boil and pop works nicely... I used a hair dry and they came right out... then I dipped the hands in cold water to stiffen them up so they wouldn't be rubbery and applied more heat to the wrist sockets. They both popped right in w/o any effort.

Yeah I know about the Glue trick thecapn... and I use it when I can, the propblem with my data is a combination of loose knees, ankles and the killer is the left leg is slightly longer, which is why I'm thinking about doing what Knightone suggested... it's just too many thing to fix.

Barclay has issue too, but I think he's salvagable, so I try not to make an issue of it if I can salvage the figure, But I think I've had leg issues with at least one figure in each wave.

Worf in Wave 1, Troi in Wave 2... Troi I was able to fix, but worf I couldn't and had DST send me a new one.

The replacement was perfect.

#60 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 05:42 PM

I did the same thing Gothneo. I let the hands harden back up and boiled the wrist section and they popped right back in.

Now one other thing about Data and Lore that bothered me was the lack of eyebrows. They have them molded on thier faces but they are not painted. I watched some TNG today and looked up pictures of both of them and yep they do have eyebrows on the show so I guess DST just "forgot" to have that little extra bit of paint added. So I pulled out my handy dandy paint kit and mixed up a little yellow and brown (just enough to make them stand out a little on the gold faces and wow, it realy made a difference. I thought the likeness was good before, but they really look great now with eyebrows. It is truly amazing what the little details can do for a figure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users