• This topic is locked This topic is locked
82 replies to this topic

#21 MisterPL

MisterPL

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 08:09 AM

They should sell Discovery vacuum cleaners because this show sucks.

#22 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 02:05 PM

or one of these 'cause it blows??
271060.jpg

#23 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 02:21 PM

Why not both since it both sucks and blows?

El9HjSm.png

#24 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 02:37 PM

nydncartoon.jpg

#25 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 11:18 AM

NORMAL PEOPLE suck!  Long live dorks!

#26 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 08:07 PM

Well that just makes me wanna yell Khaaaaaaaaaan!

Spoiler

#27 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 09:02 PM

Still waiting for a real Star Trek series......

#28 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 09:02 AM

This show is a bigger disaster than the US government. Sad. #CBSShutdown

#29 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 10:36 AM

This show is a bigger disaster than the US government. Sad. #CBSShutdown

Yep, the same type of people that produce this garbage are responsible for shutting down the government. #votedemocratsoutofcongress

#30 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 03:36 PM

Yep, the same type of people that produce this garbage are responsible for shutting down the government. #votedemocratsoutofcongress

Thats utter covfefe...

Star Trek: Discovery is a disaster for those unwilling to accept change.

Change isnt always a good thing and sometimes change is something both good and bad. For me Star Trek: Discovery is both a symbol of how great Star Trek is as a franchise, and how bad the industry in general has remained over Star Treks 50 years.

How great Star Trek is that in its 51 years, it can still be a relevant, force for good (even if VF doesnt like it) and that Star Trek can be both hard science fiction and whimsical in its character development and interaction (Saru and Tilly). The Star Trek franchise is literally and figuratively the human adventure and long may that continue.

Discovery however does not escape the consistent need for reimagining established worlds, ideas and philosophies. Discovery has fallen into the trappings of modern TV storytelling and with nothing that really ties it into the existing universe its based within and whilst its gripping and exciting and well acted, there is something to be said for ensuring that the existing style and fundamental qualities that make Star Trek unique, are upheld in the best possible ways. Discovery may have slipped too much into doing the dark and gritty storytelling of so many of the most popular shows on TV at the moment and thats unfortunate.

Star Trek should be the beacon of hope and aspiration. In many ways The Orville is doing a much better job at being a Star Trek show than Discovery is, but I hold out hope that the people charged with producing Star Trek, know what theyre doing and are building to a point where it really justifies and solidifies the whole point and existence of the Star Trek movement. That it becomes aspirational science fiction and leads the way in inspiring a new generation to become scientists, inventors, engineers, astronauts, astronomers, philosophers, dreamers and thinkers, politicians and creative types driven to be the best version of themselves.

Discovery is going somewhere and I hope that its going somewhere that really defines the Star Trek ideology for those of us who are willing to see beyond the changes and for those who desperately need a show like Star Trek to inspire them to greatness.

If that means we loose bigoted fans like Vulgar Fanatic then thats a victory for us all and for Star Trek.

#31 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 06:14 PM

It's funny when someone calls another person a bigot because they say they won't accept their ideas about lifestyles but that same person won't accept my ideas about lifestyles, so who is the real bigot here? It's people like you with no moral standard to live by that accept any irresponsible lifestyle choice as valid and therefore live the most dysfunctional lives imaginable which is the reason our society is so screwed up today.

#32 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 06:55 PM

No, its people like you that cant accept how other people live their lives, and have different lifestyles that in no way impact you or have any negative effects whatsoever, that is whats wrong with our society.

Youve posted multiple transphobic and homophonic comments on this forum, and there is nothing irresponsible or dysfunctional about those lifestyle.

#33 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 08:37 PM

No, its people like you that cant accept how other people live their lives, and have different lifestyles that in no way impact you or have any negative effects whatsoever, that is whats wrong with our society.

Youve posted multiple transphobic and homophonic comments on this forum, and there is nothing irresponsible or dysfunctional about those lifestyle.

A huge segment of our population would tend to disagree with you. Many of whom will not watch Discovery with it's Social justice warrior bs. You seem to think that because I disagree with other lifestyles, that I hate people that engage in these lifestyles,and that isn't true at all. While I ,as many people do, believe so called alternative lifestyles to be disfunctional and unhealthy , I don't hate those engaged in them.I am not going to accept something I believe that is dysfunctional and unhealthy for the sake of being politically correct. What I do hate is having this bs shoved down my throat. The new Star Wars and Star Trek shows seem to paint white males as the bad guys, with women in charge and any other race other than white males as the good guys. This is not the equality that women and minority races have aspired to for so long. TNG's era had equality . Discovery is going in the wrong direction.

#34 djc242

djc242

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 09:15 PM

VF, it doesn’t really matter whether you hate LGBTQ folks or not. Given the chance you would/will elect people to office that share your point of view. They in turn will seek to rollback or limit progress made to allow people to love who they want to love. This sounds like the beginning of limiting other “lifestyles” as you call it. That doesn’t sound like an open mind to me. In your version of “morality” you would welcome laws that enforce your beliefs, again limiting others. Those who really want to let everyone live how they want would support laws that allow for the most people to have the most freedoms possible. Gene Roddenberry was a big time liberal and his Star Trek philosophies reflect that in major ways. If you think Kirk, Picard, or any other captain would vote for Trump you might be taking too much Ketracel White.

#35 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 09:40 AM

Since when has Star Trek ever been inclusive?

The show was about a bunch of minorities – one of whom was a half-breed – being led around by a white guy from middle America. Sure, the bridge was loaded with stereotypes – a southern doctor named McCoy (because Hatfield lost the coin toss?), a Russian with a thick accent named Chekov, a Japanese guy, a black chick from Africa, and a Scot who drank Scotch named Scotty – but they all answered to the superior white man. Even the alien half-breed looked liked Satan incarnate because aliens are bad. The most disciplined Vulcan reverted to its natural, subhuman savagery the moment it got horny, turning on its superior. TOS was all about white supremacy!

TNG was where things started to take a downward turn. The captain was white but French, clearly an anti-American statement and one to assuage the white flag-waving pansies in the European audience. The head of security was a woman (a woman!) which was clearly part of the feminazi agenda. She got killed off by an oil spill (anti-capitalism) and was replaced by a black alien. They put Stevie Wonder in charge of steering the ship, trying to show that even minorities with disabilities could have place in the future. (Groan.) The only real man on the show was Riker and even though he was second in command he was referred to as "Number 1." I was shocked they let him keep his masculine beard.

When DS9 and VOY actually put non-whites and women in charge, that was the nail in the franchise's coffin. By the time The Powers That Be realized their mistake and put a white guy back in charge in ENT, it was too late.

And the success of JewJew Abrams' movies wasn't about flashy special effects and a younger cast. It proved that the world was eager to put the straight, white man with middle American, Christian values back in the driver's seat. DISCO misses that point entirely which is why it fails.

#MakeStarTrekWhiteAgain

(How'd I do, bigots?)

#36 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 10:24 AM

What we already knew, but have been forced to re-learn and re-learn over the past couple of years, is that most of these people who would rather spew authoritative statements of "fact"/morality than actually take time to understand the science and facts about our reality are lost causes.  That as human beings, we are hard-wired biologically to cling harder to our preconceptions when challenged on them by others -- and that most of us must work, hard & constantly, to avoid falling into that trap.  Clearly some among us, even Trek fans, fail hard at doing that, and so this primordial impulse wins them over every single time.  You can't reason with a prehistoric human.

That is why the real proper response is to: ignore.  That's why we say "don't feed the trolls".  That's why we realize that once someone has shown no nuance of thought whatsoever, no interest in listening and learning, the best thing to do is to let them marginalize themselves.

I really wish the media would help us ignore things better, instead, it over-inflates them and makes them seem/feel important.

I really wish we could all keep open minds, evaluate our "beliefs" anew each day as we receive more information and evidence, and live a life wherein the only dogma is: always be prepared to change your dogma tomorrow to fit the facts, if necessary.  To me, that's what Star Trek is about -- Star Trek was one HUGE influence on me in my youth that helped guide me to this base position of not having a base position.

But some of us can't, and aren't interested.  It really is that simple.  Old dogs, new tricks.

PS, here's how to do the right thing.  Up on the top menu bar, click your username to open the dropdown, and pick "Manage Ignore Prefs".  Takes you right to the screen where you can make it happen!  Here's a link: http://www.trektoy.c...ea=ignoredusers

#37 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 11:25 AM

What we already knew, but have been forced to re-learn and re-learn over the past couple of years, is that most of these people who would rather spew authoritative statements of "fact"/morality than actually take time to understand the science and facts about our reality are lost causes.  That as human beings, we are hard-wired biologically to cling harder to our preconceptions when challenged on them by others -- and that most of us must work, hard & constantly, to avoid falling into that trap.  Clearly some among us, even Trek fans, fail hard at doing that, and so this primordial impulse wins them over every single time.  You can't reason with a prehistoric human.

That is why the real proper response is to: ignore.  That's why we say "don't feed the trolls".  That's why we realize that once someone has shown no nuance of thought whatsoever, no interest in listening and learning, the best thing to do is to let them marginalize themselves.

I really wish the media would help us ignore things better, instead, it over-inflates them and makes them seem/feel important.

I really wish we could all keep open minds, evaluate our "beliefs" anew each day as we receive more information and evidence, and live a life wherein the only dogma is: always be prepared to change your dogma tomorrow to fit the facts, if necessary.  To me, that's what Star Trek is about -- Star Trek was one HUGE influence on me in my youth that helped guide me to this base position of not having a base position.

But some of us can't, and aren't interested.  It really is that simple.  Old dogs, new tricks.

PS, here's how to do the right thing.  Up on the top menu bar, click your username to open the dropdown, and pick "Manage Ignore Prefs".  Takes you right to the screen where you can make it happen!  Here's a link: http://www.trektoy.c...ea=ignoredusers

You keep saying that I have no interest in listening or learning yet you keep insisting that people should ignore those that don't agree with your way of thinking. Typical left leaning thought process, accuse others of doing something that is wrong, even though you do the same thing.

#38 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 12:44 PM

MisterPL... 5 stars!

Whirlygig... I wish I could give your post 10,000 likes (instead of just 1). You sir,  are exactly on point. 

#39 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 03:47 PM

It's funny when someone calls another person a bigot because they say they won't accept their ideas about lifestyles but that same person won't accept my ideas about lifestyles, so who is the real bigot here? It's people like you with no moral standard to live by that accept any irresponsible lifestyle choice as valid and therefore live the most dysfunctional lives imaginable which is the reason our society is so screwed up today.

What do you mean by irresponsible lifestyle choices?

Everyones entitled to their own opinion (how ever bigoted the majority of people find them), but when you think that being homosexual is irresponsible? Well there it is.

You VF, are thankfully a dying breed of humankind. That fool Trump and his utter lack of any kind of humility and respect for others is proof that your own outdated view on what is the correct and responsible way to live is not widely accepted or viewed as an acceptable way to behave.

As a race, we have become more tolerant and inclusive of people with different lifestyles... we even include you VF, youre not stoned or beaten to death even though youre a bigot and whilst there is no place for your views.

In other words, we are starting to learn the lessons Gene Roddenberry was trying to teach us with Star Trek.

The biggest question here though that continues to confuse me is why on Earth VF would even like a show about equality and diversity.

#40 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 04:00 PM

What do you mean by irresponsible lifestyle choices?

Everyones entitled to their own opinion (how ever bigoted the majority of people find them), but when you think that being homosexual is irresponsible? Well there it is.

You VF, are thankfully a dying breed of humankind. That fool Trump and his utter lack of any kind of humility and respect for others is proof that your own outdated view on what is the correct and responsible way to live is not widely accepted or viewed as an acceptable way to behave.

As a race, we have become more tolerant and inclusive of people with different lifestyles... we even include you VF, youre not stoned or beaten to death even though youre a bigot and whilst there is no place for your views.

In other words, we are starting to learn the lessons Gene Roddenberry was trying to teach us with Star Trek.

The biggest question here though that continues to confuse me is why on Earth VF would even like a show about equality and diversity.

You are a good example of how confused and deluded many people are today. When the
"dying breed" as you call it really die off, who is going to pay the bills of all of the sensitive , emotional young people that spend their time worrying about which bathroom to use and calling people a bigot when they disapprove of your life choices. Trump a fool? He seems like one of very few adults in Washington trying to actually do their job. Obama didn't do anything but run our country into the ground.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users