• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#21 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 11:22 PM

I got so excited yesterday that I reserved Friday noon tickets in a leather recliner + XD + Real 3D theater... I had the day off already! And if there are any of those gimmicky tin popcorn buckets or drink toppers I am gonna FEAST!

#22 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 01:57 PM

I loved the first one, I can't wait for this one. I've got my tickets for Friday morning. I can't believe that some of you are already trying to analyze it to death and pick it apart already without seeing it. SMH.

#23 robster

robster

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 02:21 PM

But I did see it! And there's no way I'm analyzing ANYTHING as I was bored with it after twenty minutes,just WAY too long. Everybody will probably love it though.

#24 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 10:51 PM

But I did see it! And there's no way I'm analyzing ANYTHING as I was bored with it after twenty minutes,just WAY too long. Everybody will probably love it though.

You can be a critic! lol that's the main complaint I read. I don't fault you for it.... I'm still gonnna go see it

#25 robster

robster

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 11:48 PM

Oh everybody's gonna see it,but I already see that not everbody is loving it after all,lol!! Yeah,I'll just be a quiet critic,lol! Nah,it's just ONE persons opinion,not a fan of critics as I'm perfectly capable of making up my own mind if I like a movie or not.

#26 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 10:54 AM

That was just a disappointment. Im surprised by how bad it was.

There were definitely some awesome moments, but overall it was just meh.

Spoiler

#27 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 06:05 PM

I think The Last Jedi is just proof that George Lucas was right all along when he said that there wasnt a story left to be told in the Star Wars universe.

Its a cash cow, branded and marketed brilliantly, but as for content? Its only really ever been those three original movies. Everything else is just a very expensive and successful marketing campaign to sell more toys and merchandise.

I cant say that TLJ is a bad movie, but it does hardly anything to advance the plot, to tell intriguing and thought provoking stories with characters you care about. The original cast are underserved, the new characters seem to be going knowhere and ultimately this movie sums up the problems with these kinds of movies; vacuous, crammed full of just new ways to blow things up and to use CGI at the expense of story development and character.

THANK GOD it seems Paramount are doing something different with Star Trek by making it R rated and having Quentin Tarantino onboard. At least its something new for Star Trek. With Star Wars, theyve not gone anywhere new. Even Rogue One flowed into New Hope. Its boring!

Itll make a ton of money off of nostalgia filled moments and continue to suck kids Into its world through great marketing.

Its an utter nonsense.

#28 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 07:06 PM

I think there are still stories to tell. Rebels has been very solid so far, and is telling the same story as the new movies are but way better.

#29 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 04:27 AM

Perhaps. Ive not seen Rebels so cant comment on that, but lie you said, its the SAME story... its dull! The original trilogy was great but I dont want to see it again and since that is ALL Star Wars is, where do you take the franchise? I think its a hollow carcass, it looks incredible from the outside, but its devoid of any new ideas inside, its just a hollow shell. Star Wars is just too much reliant on being branded and marketed; slapped on a plastic lunchbox and sold to kids and nerds.

I just think Star Wars and Star Wars fans deserve better than the content theyre getting.

Im actually really proud to be a Star Trek fan right now because actually for all the shit that gets flung CBS and Paramounts way, theyve taken some big risks with the franchise and its fan base by doing different things with it, not everything has been successful but hey, if Paramount are willing to go balls to the wall and make an R-rated Star Trek movie then crikey theyre doing something Disney would never ever do with Star Wars and therein lies the problem; Licasfilm have restricted creativity by being so focused on having every little piece of Star Wars connect. Paramount and CBS? Not so much... I think canon in Star Trek is just not important, in Star Wars its too important.

#30 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 08:51 AM

I haven't seen it yet, but I will, however, such fan reactions only serve to bolster two of my opinions... 1. though I love the genre... we typically, as a whole get more misses than hits, and 2. If all this is the creative direction under JJ Abrams... it only further solidifies my opinion of his "Hack" status. We got re-hashes of "Trek" under JJ and re-hashes of "Wars" under JJ... I have never been a JJ fan, I was willing to see where he went with Trek.... but I thought Wars was more his thing,... and yet, it sounds as if he's kinda dished out a dose of mediocrity in the Wars too?

#31 MisterPL

MisterPL

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 10:05 AM

I went Friday and walked out having enjoyed it more than I did The Force Awakens. The first two are still my favorites but Return of the Jedi was my first disappointment. The prequels only undermined the OT when they could have supported it and thrived from it. Consequently I went from being a fan of Star Wars films to being a student.

The Force Awakens was a safe way to start a new trilogy, with older characters passing the torch to a new generation. The Last Jedi definitely continues that promise and it's easy to see why Disney was willing to give Johnson an entire trilogy of his own. Rogue One certainly proved spinoffs can work.

Ultimately the Skywalker Saga is a story of failure and redemption. Hopefully Episode IX can finally bring that tale to a satisfying end.

#32 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 07:48 AM

I saw it last week and really enjoyed it. My only gripes were that it ran I little too long which caused it drag a bit in the beginning, and that the little side story with Finn seemed a little out of place. Other than that I really liked it.

#33 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 22 December 2017 - 11:44 PM

I saw the Last Jedi today and I thought it was pretty awful. Mark Hamill himself hates what they have done with the Luke Skywalker character. It's the first Star Wars movie that I actually considered getting up to leave in the middle of it. I've been watching Star Wars movies since 1977 and this has to be the worst one yet. The original trilogy is the only Star Wars movies worth seeing in my opinion .

#34 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 06:23 PM

Ok. Finally saw it. I didn't hate it but I didn't love it either. Too many rip offs from prior episodes IMO. I really think pretty much everything JJ is involved in is just uninspired and a bit lazy.

Still from a cinematic perspective.... it was gorgeous. It had its dramatic moments, but also too many moments that threw me out of it. It's a fine effort, but the real problem with it is you don't want to be any of those characters! At least I don't.

#35 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 09:49 AM

I liked it.  It's definitely better than TFA by a mile.

We watched every movie (in universe-chronological order) over the past few weeks to prepare our 8 year old to see Last Jedi (my 2nd viewing of it).  I am almost prepared to say that Rogue One is possibly the best Star Wars movie.  Even better than the OT.  But it's hard to put anything above most of the OT, so I probably shouldn't.  Instead, here's what I would probably rank them as now:

ESB

ROTJ

Rogue One

TLJ

ANH

ROTS

TFA

AOTC
TPM

Yes, each time I watch A New Hope, it just drops further.  I mean, obviously it started it all and deserves props for that, but it's like a night and day difference in storytelling and production quality between it and its sequels.  And the story is pretty boring, they are on the Death Star way too long.  Watching Rogue One before it also just makes it seem that much worse.  Like, here was an excellent film about getting the plans to the Death Star, and now here's a blah film about actually blowing it up.  I know, I know, it's unfair to compare, but, I'm gonna rank them based on enjoyability to watch, for me, personally.

Also, the PT wasn't as bad as I remembered, though all those terrible moments I do remember remain as terrible.  It's just that the films themselves on the whole aren't really necessarily ruined by those terrible moments.  TPM is definitely kind of ruined by Jar Jar but it *was* one of the films my 8 yr old seemed most interested in.  Still, for the most part they seemed pointless except for ROTS which does have some pretty epic stuff going on in it.

I know many hold ROTJ in a low regard, but not me.  The showdown between Luke, Vader, and Palpatine is something I can watch over and over -- I don't see how anyone could hate any other part of that film so much that it outweighs the epicness of the ending!

#36 MisterPL

MisterPL

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 11:02 AM

I know many hold ROTJ in a low regard, but not me.  The showdown between Luke, Vader, and Palpatine is something I can watch over and over -- I don't see how anyone could hate any other part of that film so much that it outweighs the epicness of the ending!

(Hold my root beer...)

ROTJ was the beginning of the end for me as a Star Wars fan.

TESB was a mature followup to ANH. It depicted Vader as a badass who killed his subordinates on a whim with his own hidden agenda against the Emperor. It explored the love triangle between Luke, Leia, and Han. It introduced rogue characters like Lando and Boba Fett. The movie had a different look and feel to its predecessor, from the cinematography to the locations.

Then ROTJ hit and a franchise that felt like it was growing up with me suddenly felt like it had been retarded.

Vader's balls were lopped off and he was back to being a lackey. Any tension between Luke and Han was conveniently eliminated now that Leia was a Skywalker. Lando went from shady scoundrel to the biggest WTF General since Bombad Binks. Boba Fett was obviously a better tracker than a fighter, which could explain why his suit was covered in weapons. The whole thing felt like a made-for-TV movie, safely returning to the tropes audiences enjoyed most in previous films, from an expanded cantina scene with superfluous aliens to another, busier Death Star battle. They even managed to get Luke and Leia to swing on a rope again.

So yeah, ROTJ is pretty low on my list.

#37 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 11:27 AM

Both these arguments have merit IMO... for all of ROTJs flaws, and I think they are many as pointed out, I always felt like it was satisfying conclusion to the OT. I'm also of the opinion that much of the prequels were pointless filler... most of the actual story that we see on screen is probably really only enough for 1 1/2 movies combined. Certainly you didn't need  3 movies to tell the story of how Ankin became Vader.

#38 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 11:37 AM

Haha.  I know I won't argue you down, MisterPL, and I'm not really trying, but, having it fresh in mind, here are some counterpoint observations:

The Vader's balls thing...to me it is actually cool to see the full realization that, wait a minute, there's someone calling the shots above him?  It's understandable that Palpatine would be like "hey Vader, cool it, you really effed up that first Death Star, so I'mma micro-manage this one a bit, mmmkay?"

I don't agree that the tension was gone between Luke/Han.  It might be after the movie finished, but during the movie, Han has a little hissy fit that Luke and Leia were sharing a tender moment without him right before the final act.  So Han is still feeling the tension.  And it has to resolve at some point because 'Episode 6' was for all intents and purposes assumed to be the end of the story.

In ESB, Lando sort of majorly redeems himself by the end of the movie just in the fact that he helps them escape.  Even though he's a shady dude for turning them over, I found it easy enough to put myself in his shoes and realize how I might have made the same choice as him to turn them in or at least play along like he was going to turn them in.  He was forced with a situation where he had to figure out a path of least damage, both to himself and his friends.  A path which most certainly would involve incorrect choices due to the unpredictable whims of Vader.  So I don't see him as a bad guy for any of it really.  As far as him being a General, well, the rebels need men, right?  Wherever and however they can get them, and at whatever level their experience puts them?

Along those same lines I found myself wondering exactly how these people "pilot" a ship as large as the MF through all those winding cavernous Death Star nooks and crannies, asteroid fields, space worms, etc.  That ship zips along extremely fast through very tight passageways...there's no way a human being could react fast enough to get them through all of that unscathed or with merely a lost satellite dish...leaves me wondering what the "pilot" actually does besides sit there watching the computer do all the work...but, if it's true that we are meant to believe the people do it, then I can buy that Lando knows how to work the MF that well since he did after all supposedly own it beforehand.  So, he signed up, and they said, this guy can get us to the middle of Death Star II, and we need everyone else to follow his lead, so we'll give him a rank that enforces as much...

Also another side note -- I don't understand why none of these spacecraft seem to have a set of car keys or other identity-based security.  Like, Rey can just run up into the MF and take off?  Then why didn't anybody else steal it already?  Actually I did think to myself, maybe that's more of a clue of her origin -- maybe the ship was coded to allow her specifically to fly it long before she got into it.  Same question with all the other ships throughout the series that people just jump into and fly off with...

As for Boba Fett, I never really invested much in him so nothing about his treatment has bothered me.  Seems kinda funny that a dude with a jetpack can't fly his way out of the Sarlacc...  That may be part of why the special editions edited in that stupid beak or whatever, to get rid of that question of "if it's just a big stomach pit why didn't he fly out" -- I guess presumably because he was chewed up before being swallowed?

I also noticed that Leia/Luke rope swing in the same light as you for the first time -- like, hah, there they are swingin' like Tarzan and Jane again...  But at the same time that may have been inserted as an homage to that moment in the first one.  Which itself I always find kind of stupid...  like, here we are in an advanced spaceship and we have to Tarzan it across and kiss the girl first...lol.  Why is a belt-situated grappling hook even a thing in a Stormtrooper belt?

Another part of ROTJ that always works for me, is the speeder bike chase.  The effects are executed very well for its time and the sequence is always thrilling!

#39 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 03:54 PM

Is it bad that I looked at picture that had Rosie in it and thought "who's that"? truly that character is forgettable and really served little purpose. 

#40 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 04:55 PM

Is it bad that I looked at picture that had Rosie in it and thought "who's that"? truly that character is forgettable and really served little purpose. 

Other than making a pointless new love triangle that didn't need to exist. 

Spoiler

IYes, each time I watch A New Hope, it just drops further.  I mean, obviously it started it all and deserves props for that, but it's like a night and day difference in storytelling and production quality between it and its sequels.  And the story is pretty boring, they are on the Death Star way too long.  Watching Rogue One before it also just makes it seem that much worse.  Like, here was an excellent film about getting the plans to the Death Star, and now here's a blah film about actually blowing it up.  I know, I know, it's unfair to compare, but, I'm gonna rank them based on enjoyability to watch, for me, personally.

I have a pretty similar mindset about A New Hope. I really don't enjoy watching it that much anymore. I know people like to bash the prequels, but for the most part I enjoy them more than I do ANH. 

My ranking after TLJ:

• Rogue One 
  • Empire Strikes Back
  • Revenge of the Sith
  • Return of the Jedi
  • The Force Awakens
  • The Phantom Menace 
  • The Last Jedi
  • Attack of the Clones
  • A New Hope

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users