Photo

Other action figure lines that are compatable with Playmates?

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#1 Redshirt#7

Redshirt#7

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 398 posts
  • Interests:Avoiding landing parties, surviving till the titles roll

Posted 12 August 2014 - 02:03 AM

Right, a bit of a strange question, but here it is.

I'm in need of a few things for some customs I'm planning, and I don't have the skills to make what I want right now. However, I was thinking, my old 1990's Marvel figures are about the height of Playmates, and I know people have used Seaquest DSV parts for Enterprise customs, so I was thinking, "why go to the trouble of doing something when you can harvest it of another action figure?".

My question, what lines are compatible with Playmates 4.5 inchers from the 1990's? As mentioned, Seaquest is pretty obvious, and the Marvel figures of the 1990's seem about right, though I haven't dissected one to see the inner workings. I'm also using some Star Wars Lobot's for Bynar's.

Specifically, and this is going to sound creepy, bare arms, legs, maybe a chest, and an Iguana in scale. It'd be for a silver speedo's Picard, a "Die Hard" Picard, Naked Time Sulu and Leonard the talking iguana for my Dr Zimmerman custom.

Thanks! 

#2 Fat Valentino

Fat Valentino

Newforce is my home page.

• Members
  • 179 posts
  • Interests:Custom Ships and Playsets

Posted 14 August 2014 - 10:55 AM

Check out the Tyco Cadillacs and Dinosaurs figures for (unarticulated) bare arms. McDonalds made a Disney Tarzan figure that is perfectly in scale for Naked Time Sulu. And Toy Biz made an amazing Nascar Superstars of Racing line that's dead on Playmates style. 

#3 Redshirt#7

Redshirt#7

• Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 11:22 AM

I can't thank you enough! That's fantastic information Fat Valentino, a fantastic help.

A couple of questions, to anybody who might know, have any Terminator's been made roughly in scale with the Playmates figures? I don't mind if they're bigger, you see I'm looking at buying a Star Wars Cantina and modifying it to be Quark's (well Morn's got to drink somewhere!). I thought it'd be nice to have a Terminator sitting in the back somewhere.

The other question is, what size are the Alien figures by Kenner in the 90's? 3.5 inch?

#4 Fat Valentino

Fat Valentino

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 12:37 PM

The 1990's Kenner Aliens figures are very close to the Playmates Star Trek scale. The articulation is a little different, but they go pretty well together. I'll take some comparison pictures later today. 

At roughly five and a half inches, 90's Kenner Terminator figures are a little out of scale. There was a 3 3/4 scale T-600 made by Playmates in 2009 that was pretty close to Playmates size, but he wasn't the traditional Terminator design. I bought one to make a Borg when they came to the Dollar Store a few years back. I'll see if I can find him for a comparison...here's a pic in the meantime...

http://www.ebay.com/...=item19f1dfea69

#5 Fat Valentino

Fat Valentino

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 12:41 PM

Look at this chump!

http://www.ebay.com/...432165993&rt=nc

#6 Redshirt#7

Redshirt#7

• Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 02:04 PM

Thanks for the information, and I'd love to see pictures! Borgifying them sounds a great plan, the 600 looks a great contender, a fantastic idea. Geez, the other guy looks like he's seen better days! I think, if you repainted the pipes and slightly altered the mechanical arm, he'd make a very convincing Borg drone, maybe a tactical drone due to his height.

Again, I can't thank you enough. I'll definitely be making a few purchases when I get some cash in a week! When I do make some figures, I'll be sure to post my results here.

#7 Fat Valentino

Fat Valentino

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 04:15 PM

Here are some size comparison photos...

PlaymatesTrekBare

Here's shirtless Sulu made with the McDonalds Disney Tarzan figure, Mirror Universe Kirk made with a Tyco "Cadillacs and Dinosaurs" figure's arms, and a shirtless Kirk made with another Disney McDonald's figure. I think the Indian guy from Pocahontas.

#8 Fat Valentino

Fat Valentino

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 04:17 PM

The Toy BIz "NASCAR Superstars of Racing" figures, with customs I made from them. I've also made Enterprise figures, Miners and Colonists, and Khan with their jumpsuit bodies. 

nascartrek

#9 Fat Valentino

Fat Valentino

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 04:19 PM

And, the Kenner Aliens figures, compared to their closest Playmates Star Trek counterparts...

Kenner Aliens, Playmates Trek
PredNaus
queentrek
eggtrek
huggertrek
burstertrek
bugstrek

#10 Fat Valentino

Fat Valentino

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 04:27 PM

And last but not least, when a collector commissioned me to make a Matty-Collector 6" scale Dana Barrett with the Aliens Resurrection Sigourney Weaver sculpt, I made a quick Playmates scale Ripley mold. So...what Starfleet rank & department would "Warrant Officer" translate to? :wacko:

captainripley

#11 Redshirt#7

Redshirt#7

• Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 05:15 AM

Wow! Thank you for the very, very informative pictures! And so many of them too, really, really appreciated. The arms look fantastic on Mirror Kirk, as does the body on Sulu and the Nascar heads on the Trek bodies. Very clever use of the racing overall as well.

The Alien/Predator figures look, as you said, very, very close to Playmates, particularly the actual Alien's and the Predator. Is the Predator from the same line, or another one? He looks good to perhaps make a proto Klingon from Genesis with a spare.

Haha! Always the redshirt! A quick question, the facehugger and chestburster, are they accessories you get with some of the figures? (very nice bio bed by the way)

I maybe able to help you there, regarding rank. I believe a warrant officer, if I've read my ex astris scientia right, is one less than an ensign, like a NCO. A warrant officer I believe has one black pip in TNG/DS9/VOY, so with no braids for an ensign in TOS, I think yours is fine. Department? I'm not to sure.

Fantastic customs, and pictures, thanks again!

#12 Redshirt#7

Redshirt#7

• Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 09:33 AM

Just a little update.

I blew the budget on a Playmates Defiant so I'm afraid I couldn't get any other actual action figures to customize, so I'll have to put that off for a month.

But, before I went crazy on a Defiant and an autograph or two, I did buy a "Star Wars Cantina at Mos Eisley" playset from the 90's. I'm very confident that between a 1999 Trek sticker book,  my box full of bar wear, and of course Leeta, Morn and Quark, that I can make a decent Quark's bar/promenade Playset. Stay tuned!

#13 Daysleeper

Daysleeper

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 537 posts
  • Interests:Music, acting, theatre, film, arts in General

Check out my band: www.facebook.com/eastportslackers

Posted 22 August 2014 - 01:46 PM

The 5" Dr. Who figures work pretty well. The bodies are a little taller than the Playmates figures, the heads are perfect. So if you want to build a few redshirts, I'd recommend those heads. 

#14 CB2001

CB2001

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 01:02 PM

This is my first time posting at these forums, and I figured (no pun intended) this would be the best post to make.  For another line that's in the same scale as the Playmates ST lines, one that I found is the Van Helsing movie action figure line from Jakks Pacific.  I don't know how compatible they are with the Playmates figures, but I felt it could be mentioned.  They do have one figure, Velkan, who is bare chested that may be able to be used for a Naked Time Sulu.  But there may be parts that can be used (I don't know for certain, but I'm sure someone may have used the figures from this line with the Playmates line.

Also, the John Connor action figure from the Kenner Terminator 2 line is the same size as the Aliens toyline, but again, don't know how compatible he is.  I know Kenner also produced the Congo movie line, which I think may be in the same scale as the Aliens line.  How about the Jurassic Park line?  Does anyone know if they're compatible or if they're smaller?

Anyways, I'll keep checking around to see if there's any other lines in the same scale that could be compatible.

#15 Redshirt#7

Redshirt#7

• Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 01:57 PM

Thank you both for the help! I own a couple of the Primevil figures, made by the same people as the Dr Who figures and in the same scale. I had a look and one looks a bit like Admiral Nechayev. All I need now is a Dax dress uniform spare and a bit of re sculpting.

Thank you CB2001 for the info, that's fantastic! I'll be looking into them Val Helsing figures, I do believe the Jurrassic Park line is in the same scale or just a bit smaller.

A bit more info from my end of the line.

I'm now looking for customers for Quark's so, I thought, why not look at what I've got in the wardrobe? I've found out that the earlier 2000's Star Wars Chewbacca figure is about 4.5 inches tall, the very early 90's Marvel figures are indeed 4.5 inches or there about, and, while it's a ship, the nose cone from the DC Comics JLA plane from the JLA cartoon makes a fantastic timeship, suggesting the figures are around about that size (though I have no idea what you'd do with them as they are very cartoonized). Pictures to follow.

Not action figure compatible, but maybe of interest. Remember those desk Snooker tables from about 15 years back? I found mine, buried in a cupboard:

14836461398_5ae63d18b1_z.jpg

Makes a nice Chez Sandrine pool table, wouldn't you say?

#16 CB2001

CB2001

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 04:24 PM

You're welcome.  Nice table, now all you need is the playset.   :D

Speaking of playsets, I've toyed around with trying to create the TOS Bridge playset that Playmates was going to make (where it was all in a carrying case that you fold out.  But then again, I've got a lot of customs (non-ST related) that I've been looking to do.  But, like I said, I'll keep my eyes open and see if there's anything else I can find.

BTW, the Aliens vehicles are also compatible with the ST figures.  I remember seeing someone having Data in the EVAC vehicle from the Aliens line.  Just thinking about it is kinda funny, because I can imagine someone putting a Picard figure in the Powerloader.  :lol:

#17 Daysleeper

Daysleeper

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 537 posts
  • Interests:Music, acting, theatre, film, arts in General

Check out my band: www.facebook.com/eastportslackers

Posted 25 August 2014 - 05:03 AM

I have one of those desk snooker tables as well and always used it as Sandrine's table when playing with the figures back in the day. 

I have some of the Primeval figures, as well. I was thinking about using the Helen Cutter-head for Nechayev, as the figure does look like her a lot.

#18 Redshirt#7

Redshirt#7

• Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 05:19 AM

Thanks!

I love the TNG Bridge and Engineering playset, but I felt I could get more from other lines, much like the action figures as mentioned. I had a go at making a shuttlebay 3 playset, a Quark's, and a Borg cube Playset, but they all failed for one specific reason: none of them had a solid base. They where, quite literally, shaking themselves to bits once I breathed on them, so I've also been looking into that side of compatible action figures. Fortunately, it's a little more easy to find out if their compatible thanks to the lines they've come from (i.e. I know no way in hell I could get a Klingon in a G.I Joe tank, but I now know I can get one on the roof.).

A TOS playset? I'd love to see one made, I'm mean, I've seen one or two that have been started but never finished, and I believe one has been made somewhere around here, but to see one in it's glory would be great. Thanks, I appreciate that.

Fantastic!!! Before I read this, I was seriously considering buying the EVAC fighter, removing the English on it, and then adding Romulan writing and Romulan signage, so the Goddard has something to fight, I mean display with. Knowing that Data fits means a Romulan should fit, so again, that's extremely useful info!

Picard in a Powerloader... :lol: Going postal on the Borg was one thing, going at them in a Powerloader would be even better.

Daysleeper

I also have a desk table football, but I've got no idea what to use that as (modified Dom Jot?!?)That's the figure! I'm not too good with names.

As promised, pictures.

15030201815_3ec7f2b2bf_z.jpg

The UTS Javelin

14843727347_93c739f899_z.jpg

Cobra, Captain America, Garak, and Chewbacca (walk into a bar). 

#19 CB2001

CB2001

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 10:49 AM

Well, like I said, I remember seeing the picture of the Data figure in the EVAC vehicle. But then again, my memory may not be as reliable. But, if the Kenner Aliens action figures and the Playmates ST figures are in the same scale, it makes sense they would fit. I may have to dig out my Powerloader to make sure the size comparison is correct.

Yeah, the idea for the TOS Bridge I had was trying to make it the way Playmates was going to, with the playset being able to fold up into a carrying case (I found out about via the New Force Comics website). Been trying to wrap my head around how to make it, even though the design wouldn't look like the TOS bridge from the concept picture shown on the NFC website. I've also considered making a Playmates-ified Voyager Bridge and a Borg alcove playset (for display).

I've also toyed around with the idea of doing misc. Trek tech in the Playmates scale. Thought about doing a Playmates scale Photon Torpedo so you could put a figure inside it (to recreate TWOK's ending, or the introduction to Worf's wife) and the stasis pod seen on Voyager a couple of times. But, like I said, I've got a few non-Trek related customs I'd like to do first.

#20 Redshirt#7

Redshirt#7

• Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 11:46 AM

I don't have permission, as I saved it of an eBay auction, but I do have a photo that, when looking at the Ripley figure next to it, seems to suggest that a Playmates fig would fit perfectly.

Yes, to me it looked more like the TWOK bridge, with Communications behind the big chair and the two "gaps" for Turbolifts. One thing I would love to do, sometime in the future, is to make sections of corridor from TOS, TWOK, TNG, DS9, the Defiant, VOY, First Contact, and Enterprise, and display my figures in them on shelves. All the TOS in the TOS corridor, all the TOS movie figures in the TWOK corridor etc. But alas, I don't have the space, skill or money to do that any time soon.

I maybe able to help you with that. I have a photon torpedo on my display, it's a spare case for my reading glasses, even K'ehleyr fits in it. Oh, I understand that, just passing a few ideas and comments around!

Back on topic, kind of. I had a look through this:

https://www.flickr.c...157645319571378

Counselor Troi's therapy secessions with other action figures. It certainly gives a reasonable idea on scale for some figures. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users