• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 09:19 AM

Carrying over on a sub-topic brought up on several other threads I thought I'd post this info and link.

Trans World Entertainment owns F.E.Y (For your Entertainment) as well as a number of other speciality "Boutique" shops that have gone bankrupt and Trans World acquired.

Trans World has seen a 25% contract in year over year sales through it different operations, and while they have not filed for bankruptcy, they are showing a 20 Mil loss for 2009.

Sluggish sales amid a weakened economy has forced Trans World Entertainment Corp. to announce plans to close a dozen more stores than it originally intended.

The Albany-based Trans World, parent company of such retail outlets as the F.Y.E. (For Your Entertainment) stores, already announced plans in November to close 137 locations, including two in Erie County. Now, company officials said another 12 stores will be added to that list

#2 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 10 January 2010 - 09:30 AM

Well I just cant see how these places stay open anyway with the prices they charge. I understand the compulsion to want something "right now" when I see it but when I look at the price tag many times on their movies/music, that compulsion fades fast knowing that I can usually get the item for about half price on Amazon or significantly cheaper at Target etc. I also think TRUs efforts to include more collector based lines has eliminated a need for FYE etc for the general collectors. Its a shame because I always like having more outlets to get stuff but its not like I cant obtain most of what would have been offered elsewhere.

#3 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 09:43 AM

I wonder if this means the only Suncoast store that i know of anymore in my area will be closing. Suncoast stores are always in malls, and i guess they feel like they have a right to charge much higher prices, (after all its a mall, right ?) I think that specialty stores do themselves in by charging higher prices and turning off many people that would otherwise buy from them if they charged reasonable prices. I have purchased many things from Suncoast stores, but its almost always when they are on sale or clearance.

#4 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 09:51 AM

I agree. Traditionally these types of stores offered a larger variety then stores like Wal-Mart or even Best Buy, they offered more retail points for manufactures... but like you say stores like Amazon offer stuff cheap... cheaper then Wal-Mart many times! Thus the decline of these types of stores.

#5 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 09:57 AM

Well, VF, most of the store closing were supposed to be done by now, so if the Suncoast your thinking of (the one in Jacksonville?) hasn't closed yet it may not be on that list.

#6 The_Donster

The_Donster

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,198 posts
  • Interests:OMG!! Clearly my hobby is getting away from me at the moment if anyone remembers the pics of my collection on the old AA forum. While mine isn't as focused as Mark's, it's start to rival his, lol. Long answer short, too many to narrow down.

Posted 10 January 2010 - 11:08 AM

Yep, all the stores, including Suncoast are shutting down as we speak in my aread sad.gif Hopefully I can get the tickers and Futurama figures I need before the finally shut down.

#7 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 12:13 PM

QUOTE (Gothneo @ Jan 10 2010, 10:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, VF, most of the store closing were supposed to be done by now, so if the Suncoast your thinking of (the one in Jacksonville?) hasn't closed yet it may not be on that list.

I went to the Jacksonville store around the end of December and there were no signs of any closing in the future. I guess they could have closed overnight, but usually places like that have liquidation sales for a while before they closedown. The Soundshop closed down right after Christmas in the same Mall that Suncoast is in. Soundshop was a music/movie/collectibles store that carried DST stuff as well as a lot of other action figure lines and other related items like games and the Funko Bobbleheads, minimates and even a Kirk Landing party statue(that never sold).So out of the two stores in that mall that carried Star Trek items, one is closed down now, and i am wondering if Suncoast will get the ax too. There is a hot topic and Spencers in the mall but i dont care for those stores, and as far as i know, they dont have any Star Trek stuff there anyway.

#8 reverie

reverie

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,321 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 08:37 AM

Spencers seems to be carrying much less in the way of figures lately whenever I peek in.

#9 Andy

Andy

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 07:20 PM

I

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users