Photo

Are DST's first wave of DS9 Figures particularly rare?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Oxnard Montalvo

Oxnard Montalvo

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 10:34 AM

I passed on these initially due to chronic lack of funds, but have recently been able to get wave 2 for an amazingly low price. It has made me want to go back and fill in the gaps. but despite a search of Ebay, I haven't been able to track any down to see what I'd be looking at pricewise (I'm still broke!) all anyone sems to be selling are the Tribble-ations figures which can usually be secured for a pittance. I'm not interested in Jadzia, because I really dont like the sculpt they used, but Id be interested to know if Sisko, Odo and Ezri are going to be hard for me to get hold of..........

#2 reverie

reverie

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,321 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 10:39 AM

Ezri is very difficult to get at a decent price (otherwise I'd have more wink.gif ).. I'd imagine Sisko could be had for $10 and under.. and I'm not sure about Odo. Stores almost seemed to be giving away Siskos and Jadzias not that long ago.

#3 A Chimpanzee & 2 Trainees

A Chimpanzee & 2 Trainees

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 710 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 11:22 AM

QUOTE (Oxnard Montalvo @ Sep 1 2009, 12:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I passed on these initially due to chronic lack of funds, but have recently been able to get wave 2 for an amazingly low price. It has made me want to go back and fill in the gaps. but despite a search of Ebay, I haven't been able to track any down to see what I'd be looking at pricewise (I'm still broke!) all anyone sems to be selling are the Tribble-ations figures which can usually be secured for a pittance. I'm not interested in Jadzia, because I really dont like the sculpt they used, but Id be interested to know if Sisko, Odo and Ezri are going to be hard for me to get hold of..........

Ezri will be hard. I can't remember seeing her for close to original retail price in a long time. Sisko and Odo can be had quite easily, and a bit cheaper than if you'd bought them right away. Amazon has each for $10, and that was just after 30 seconds of searching. A bit deeper diving, and you can probably shave a couple bucks off even that...

That "tribbleations figures can be had for a pittance" line... does that include Bashir? I've been easily able to find O'Brien Jadzia and Sisko, but Bashir's been a bit of a challenge.

#4 Soongprototype

Soongprototype

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 12:28 PM

I maybe getting some of these figures. sisko at the least just beacause I love these style uniforms.

#5 Oxnard Montalvo

Oxnard Montalvo

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 12:30 PM

Hi thanks for the pointers.... Unfortunately I'm based in the UK and our two Amazons seem to be seperate entities...No sisko over here.

as for the Tribs figs, one seller over here is offering Julian for

#6 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 01:39 PM

I have been searching for Ezri for almost a year now, and still haven't been able to find her for under like 60 bucks. I have been trying to find one on here...but nobody has one for me. Ugh, Most of them got opened up for customizing purposes, which sucks for us collectors that cant find her

#7 Jedigreedo

Jedigreedo

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 02:11 PM

Her popularity was incredibly surprising, when the wave was announced I thought she'd be a pegwarmer for sure.

#8 reverie

reverie

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,321 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 02:19 PM

Don't underestimate the cuteness of Ezri. wink.gif

I think I may have actually ordered three sets of DS9 from Rick so I'd have an Ezri to open, to keep in package, and another one just because (which will eventually be painted red once I get the courage to do so).

And the sad thing is, if there were more Ezri's to go around, I'd probably get more. laugh.gif

Aren't most of the DST Trek 'short-packs' hard to come by in the long run?

#9 Jedigreedo

Jedigreedo

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 03:26 PM

QUOTE (reverie @ Sep 1 2009, 03:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Don't underestimate the cuteness of Ezri. wink.gif

No doubt the giant gun was also appealing. biggrin.gif

A bit, but most can still be found for decent prices if you're willing to hunt for them. IIRC, all of the DST shortpacks have been Thomas Riker, Jacket Picard, Barclay, Q, Ogawa (or Laren?), Ezri, Kira, Terrel and Saavik. So far, Ezri is the only one that seems to be pretty much impossible to find on the secondary market, but Saavik is getting there.

#10 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 07:09 PM

If I'm to believe one review I read, This is the 1st Ezri figure ever. Apparently Playmates never did one. Add that to the fact that she was short packed and that (by this time) DST was reducing the manufacturing numbers significantly, and even though the figure has issues, you have a collectible with some demand!

I bought a couple when they came out... extra's for customizing... and I know that makes some people cringe... but heck I bought a whole case from NFC, because at the time DST had quality issues and I honestly expected to need extras for customs.

#11 zyzyx1701d

zyzyx1701d

Toys before the light bill.

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 09:00 PM

QUOTE (Gothneo @ Sep 1 2009, 06:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If I'm to believe one review I read, This is the 1st Ezri figure ever. Apparently Playmates never did one.

That review is correct. DST's Ezri figure is the ONLY Ezri figure.

#12 Wildcard

Wildcard

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 11:26 PM

I'm in the same boat as you except I did buy a Jadzia that I found at a comic/collectible store for really cheap. But I still want an Ezri too. The search continues.

#13 Oxnard Montalvo

Oxnard Montalvo

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 09:13 AM

I'm happy. I just managed to get an Odo for

#14 Matty-lad

Matty-lad

• Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 09:34 AM

QUOTE (Oxnard Montalvo @ Sep 2 2009, 04:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm happy. I just managed to get an Odo for

#15 reverie

reverie

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,321 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 10:43 AM

QUOTE (Oxnard Montalvo @ Sep 2 2009, 11:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've actually found somewhere offering Ezri for

#16 Quadrotritacale

Quadrotritacale

The card is maxed out.

• Members
  • 254 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 08:54 PM

QUOTE (Oxnard Montalvo @ Sep 1 2009, 11:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm not interested in Jadzia, because I really dont like the sculpt they used

WOW. I'm really shocked at this opinion. What do you dislike about this sculpt? Because I personally think it's the best of the "Trials and Tribble-Ations" sculpts, and one of the best AA/DST has ever done (right up there with Kor, Dr. McCoy, and Gowron). I think the face looks exactly like Terry Farrell, like they just shrunk her down to action figure size! First AA/DST figure I ever bought and I was so enamoured with it, it got me into collecting the company's figures in the first place.

#17 A Chimpanzee & 2 Trainees

A Chimpanzee & 2 Trainees

• Members
  • 710 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 09:15 PM

QUOTE (Quadrotritacale @ Sep 3 2009, 10:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
WOW. I'm really shocked at this opinion. What do you dislike about this sculpt? Because I personally think it's the best of the "Trials and Tribble-Ations" sculpts, and one of the best AA/DST has ever done (right up there with Kor, Dr. McCoy, and Gowron). I think the face looks exactly like Terry Farrell, like they just shrunk her down to action figure size! First AA/DST figure I ever bought and I was so enamoured with it, it got me into collecting the company's figures in the first place.

Not to speak for him, but I thought he was saying he disliked the grey/black suited Dax, not the Tribble-ations version, and I have to agree with that. I think they nailed the Tribble-ations sculpt and really screwed up the regular DS9 one. I don't know what it is, but that figure just doesn't look at all like Dax to me, especially from the 3/4 angles.

#18 reverie

reverie

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,321 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 07:24 AM

She does have a bit of a square head..

On a side note, if anyone here is subscribed to cinquests newsletter, today they're having a sale (for subscribers) on Trek stuff, and there's a few $6 figures on there, including Sisko, Bashir, O'Brien and Kira.

#19 Oxnard Montalvo

Oxnard Montalvo

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 02:33 AM

QUOTE (A Chimpanzee & 2 Trainees @ Sep 3 2009, 10:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not to speak for him, but I thought he was saying he disliked the grey/black suited Dax, not the Tribble-ations version, and I have to agree with that. I think they nailed the Tribble-ations sculpt and really screwed up the regular DS9 one. I don't know what it is, but that figure just doesn't look at all like Dax to me, especially from the 3/4 angles.

Many thanks for the back up my simian friend!

Yes its the Regular DS9 dax I dont like...Its the square chin that gets me. A bit of the same problem that continually stops me from Buying the Nemesis Crusher despite seeing it going so cheap.

#20 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 01:05 AM

QUOTE (Jedigreedo @ Sep 1 2009, 02:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No doubt the giant gun was also appealing. biggrin.gif

A bit, but most can still be found for decent prices if you're willing to hunt for them. IIRC, all of the DST shortpacks have been Thomas Riker, Jacket Picard, Barclay, Q, Ogawa (or Laren?), Ezri, Kira, Terrel and Saavik. So far, Ezri is the only one that seems to be pretty much impossible to find on the secondary market, but Saavik is getting there.

Just correcting you a little bit.... Ogawa was the short pack, but for DS9 Wave 2 it was Martok not Kira, Kira was the PX previews exclusive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users