Photo

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
  • Interests:Stately playboy by day ... profitable pimp by night. I like to watch movies, listen to music, go out ... friends ... food ... all the essentials of life.

Posted 17 August 2009 - 04:45 PM

So what's up with this? I am seeing more and more news about it (maybe because I am constantly looking up information about Avatar: The Last Airbender) and I am just wondering what the hype is all about.

I am a bit biased as James Cameron raised ruckus over the Avatar: The Last Airbender movie using the term avatar in the title so now it will be called only The Last Airbender.

#2 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 11:44 AM

I liked the show, and I am excited for the movie.

#3 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 04:41 PM

Reviving this thread...

I saw Avatar this weekend. IMO, its the best effort of a sci-fi genre movie of this decade. there are many opinions and list on blogs out there, and most are Typically topped by such picks as "Children of Men" or "Donnie Darko", both very very good films, but Cameron seems to have done something really special with Avatar, even if a number of the plot parts are derivative... he's actually made a film that I want to spend another $10 to see again in the the theater... and I truly can't recall the last time it was that I wanted to do that! Typically I'm content to see a film once in the theater and wait for it to come out on DVD to see it a second or 3rd time... but this movie is so beautifully done, I feel compelled to see it again!

I think that Avatar will take the Oscar for at least "Best visual effects" as I can't think of another movie I saw this year so well done. I think it could also be considered for "Best Art Direction" as well as "Best Cinematography". I doubt it' will win any awards for acting or writing, though I thought the character development was solid, and the actors did a fine job.

A really amazing film... and if you have the opportunity... see it in 3D! Cameron really seems to get how 3D should be used!

#4 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 04:44 PM

Oh.. I forgot to add... I thought Zoe Saldana did a fabulous job in Avatar!

#5 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 09:41 AM

I have been thinking about seeing this movie, it sounds interesting. The news today was talking about James Cameron's views on the environment and war on terror and how they factor in in this movie. Sounds like Roddenberry and Star Trek, use a futuristic story to speak to us about a present day situation. Without getting to much into a political conversation, i think mankind should be more responsible with industry, take into account the effects it has on the environment, and take corrective action. We presently only have one planet to live on and making money is not a good enough reason to destroy where we are living. As far as the war on terror, i am not sure what the answer is, but i dont think the War in Afghanistan or Iraq has done much more than just beat down the radical islamists,not reason with or compromise with or otherwise make amends with, but just beat down and i dont think they will ever be completely gone. I dont think there is a way to reason with or compromise, or otherwise make amends with these people. Anyway, i may still see this movie, maybe even today, but i am not concerned that the movie has hidden messages, it sounds like the morality plays we have been watching for years, Star Trek!

#6 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 03:34 PM

I didn't see any hidden messages, and w/o saying anything political or about the plot, I will say that it is plain and simply and Sci-Fi movie with a message, part of the message is very similar to another sci-fi movie that came out this summer, District-9 (but these are two very different movies). In summary, this movie had a plot of the type I'd hoped for in Star Trek, but just didn't see.

#7 Sybeck1

Sybeck1

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 04:47 PM

I'm behind on my movies, and I don't know which one I will see this weekend, this one, Sherlock Holmes or take the kids to the Chipmunks. This was called "Dances with Smurfs" by South Park as it is about "going native" I understand. But remember I didn't like the Trek movie so I am not te best movie critic.

#8 Sybeck1

Sybeck1

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 11:35 AM

Pocahantas??

#9 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 04:39 PM

I went to see Avatar last week, and the pocahontas thought crossed my mind while i sat in the theater. I thought the movie was worth watching and all, but i dont plan to go back to see it in the theater and i am not even sure i will get it on DVD or Bluray. I am not sure what i think of this movie. I know that it was visually stunning, but i didnt go away from the theater feeling like i had found another movie that would be a favorite for years to come.

#10 Thomas E. Johnson

Thomas E. Johnson

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 495 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 05:44 PM

I read that this has now crossed the 1 billion dollar mark already, and is probobly going to over take "Titanic" in 1st place as the biggest money maker of all time. I still haven't seen it yet, but it sounds like James Camereon has scored a second lightening strike in a row. First "Titanic," and now this.

#11 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 07:45 PM

I suppose he needed that lightning strike considering how much it cost him to make this movie.

#12 The_Donster

The_Donster

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,198 posts
  • Interests:OMG!! Clearly my hobby is getting away from me at the moment if anyone remembers the pics of my collection on the old AA forum. While mine isn't as focused as Mark's, it's start to rival his, lol. Long answer short, too many to narrow down.

Posted 06 January 2010 - 07:54 PM

Sybeck, compromise and take your wife to see Sherlock Holmes tongue.gif Its what I did when our sister in law offered to watch Lex and it was nice wink.gif Back on topic, as much as I love Cameron, I just can't see going to the movies with this one. My brother in law called it basically Dances with Wolves in space. Given his past movies, I expect a little more from him I guess. I also have no great interest in District 9. I don't mind movies or shows with messages, I just don't like it when they are obvious. I'm sorry, but I'm not going to spend that kind of money to be preached to. I think this is what messed up Star Trek in latter shows and led to the demise of the franchise. Say what you want about plot holes, reboot, acting ect, but the newest Star Trek was fun. That's something I loved about the original show. I didn't know I was actually learning a lesson, I was just watching a great show.

#13 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
  • Interests:Stately playboy by day ... profitable pimp by night. I like to watch movies, listen to music, go out ... friends ... food ... all the essentials of life.

Posted 06 January 2010 - 08:31 PM

You see, I didn't think District 9 slapped me in the face with it's message, but it was apparent. And I think you will definitely regret not seeing this one in 3D. I hear its the standard for which all other 3D movies will be held.

#14 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 10:16 PM

QUOTE (The_Donster @ Jan 6 2010, 08:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think this is what messed up Star Trek in latter shows and led to the demise of the franchise.

The last time i checked, the Star Trek franchise was alive and well, even before the Abrams movie came out.

#15 The_Donster

The_Donster

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,198 posts
  • Interests:OMG!! Clearly my hobby is getting away from me at the moment if anyone remembers the pics of my collection on the old AA forum. While mine isn't as focused as Mark's, it's start to rival his, lol. Long answer short, too many to narrow down.

Posted 07 January 2010 - 01:21 AM

I think that's a matter of opinion VF wink.gif I don't want to derail this thread any further, so I'll leave it there. Slayer, there is no denying that Avatar is visually stunning and has advance 3D animation. I just kind of feel it's a retread of a familiar story. See Sybeck's post for just 1 example and he actually wants to try and see the movie smile.gif I'll eventually watch both movies, just not in theaters.

#16 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 11:30 AM

But the story is done well though Don. I don't mind seeing a story again if it is done properly, thus my affinity for re-watching Trek over and over. I just think it would be a shame for you to miss this one in its proper glory because you are afraid the story is rehashed. Everyone who has seen it on my end has praised it for being stunning and deep at the same time.

#17 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 03:15 PM

Can't get in. Sold out both times I've tried.

#18 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 09:17 PM

QUOTE (slayerone76 @ Jan 7 2010, 12:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But the story is done well though Don. I don't mind seeing a story again if it is done properly, thus my affinity for re-watching Trek over and over. I just think it would be a shame for you to miss this one in its proper glory because you are afraid the story is rehashed. Everyone who has seen it on my end has praised it for being stunning and deep at the same time.

I agree that if you plan to see this movie at all, you really should see it on the big screen. I wish that i could see many older movies on the big screen again, like the Star Wars and the Star Trek movies, Indiana Jones and the 1989 Batman films. I would pay good money to see these movies again on the big screen. There is just something lost when movies are viewed on smaller screens IMO.

#19 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 04:52 AM

Well, It has a long way to go yet before it surpasses Titanic and I just don't see that happening... maybe it will, but it needs to make another 800 Mil to do that and it's been out awhile, and movies typically start to drop off pretty quick after 2 weeks these days... also it's making more money because the tickets to see it in 3D are more... so adjusted for inflation Avatars domestic gross is waaaaay down around #86!!!

I too have read the review that make comparisons to movies like Pocahontas, Dances w/wolves or even Fern Gully. And I think there is a ring of truth that Avatars plot is simply a variation on a common theme... but so are many many movies (how many movies out there are simply a variation of a Shakespeare theme like Romeo & Juliet or Hamlet??!!) ... some are done well and others are not. I happen to think this one was done well.

I enjoyed it it immensely in Imax 3D. Enough to go back and see it again in RealD. Mostly to see what the difference in 3D technology would bring, but I found myself more immersed in the story the second time around, even knowing the plot. I liked Dances w/ wolves, even though I'm not a huge Costner fan, and I find myself liking this movie, though it has flaws.

I think the review I've read that resonates best with my experience can be found HERE.

I should add, I will be curious to see what I think of it when the DVD is released... and I think it will be worth spending $1 at redbox to see how it translates to 2D!

#20 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 10:17 AM

I'm heading out to see it in IMAX 3D in a couple of hours. I'll comment when I get back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users