Photo

Here we go again... Playmates is back in the Trek business!

• Please log in to reply
348 replies to this topic

#141 Razorgeist

Razorgeist

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 505 posts

Posted 01 October 2022 - 07:32 PM

Well thats dissapointing.  Though I should have figured that out sooner since they probably would have done Discovery-A first.

#142 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • Interests:"Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?"

Posted 04 October 2022 - 09:31 AM

Is disappointing but maybe we will get one sooner or later. The Playmates rollout is slow for sure, but in retail it wasnt slated until around October so I guess we will see more around Christmas. I just hope its done wisely an in moderation so product over saturation doesnt kill future waves before they happen. Im not sure if the difficulty in finding these in the wild is due to issues with world distribution problems or if it is carefully orchestrated shipping to avoid a too much of a good thing scenario.

#143 Morgan

Morgan

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 04 October 2022 - 05:40 PM

Yeah, this is a weirdly regional roll-out that we're seeing, and it feels like it's an issue of some store "buyers" not ordering these at all, or waiting until the holiday season. The variety of figures in this line is not huge to begin with, and I wouldn't expect to see more than 3 pegs full of figures at any store.

So much has changed in the economics of toy lines in big box stores, that even 10 years ago was effectively a different time in the industry.

The action figure aisles of a lot of the few remaining big box stores are a wreck, at best. 

#144 Razorgeist

Razorgeist

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 505 posts

Posted 04 October 2022 - 08:12 PM

Is disappointing but maybe we will get one sooner or later. The Playmates rollout is slow for sure, but in retail it wasnt slated until around October so I guess we will see more around Christmas. I just hope its done wisely an in moderation so product over saturation doesnt kill future waves before they happen. Im not sure if the difficulty in finding these in the wild is due to issues with world distribution problems or if it is carefully orchestrated shipping to avoid a too much of a good thing scenario.

I'd imagine thats how PM is playing it for this wave.  Maybe when the prodigy stuff gets released we'll see more of that in stores.

#145 RizzoPSU

RizzoPSU

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 05 October 2022 - 08:21 AM

There is a Walmart in Pa near me that has an Admiral Kirk in stock on the shelf and also on the Walmart App they are list finally but "not in stock"

#146 Morgan

Morgan

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 06 October 2022 - 08:50 AM

It's weird, at the very least, that some stores had figures on shelves a whole month ago, first week of Sept, but others are like a month behind. 

#147 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 08 October 2022 - 04:05 PM

Stopped into Walmart today and surprisingly saw the Playmates Trek stuff. Decided to pick up the Enterprise to do a comparison with DSTs.

https://imgur.com/a/iOQg8uz

Ill stick with what I said earlier, its great as a toy for a kid to play with, with is what its meant for, but if you want a display piece, DSTs is still the best bet.

#148 Razorgeist

Razorgeist

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 505 posts

Posted 09 October 2022 - 07:20 PM

Honestly its still a good effort on Playmates part.

#149 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 09 October 2022 - 09:04 PM

Indeed, it feels like a solid product, and Id say its on a similar level of quality as the 2009 ship. Certainly an improvement for the most part over their original offerings.

Except for the clear impulse engines. That makes no sense.

#150 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 10 October 2022 - 07:09 PM

I just completed my Wave 1 set today with an order from Amazon. I now have the Enterprise, the Role-Play Phaser and the rest of the figures in the wave. I really love all of it. Only a couple of really small complaints. I would have preferred that all registry and ship markings to have been painted on. A few of these are stickers. The same on the phaser. I would prefer stickers not be used at all. I live in Louisiana, and humidity does ugly things to stickers. I also wish the hip articulation on the figures had tight, ratcheting ball joints similar to Jazwaress Fortnite and Halo figures. The ball joints on Playmates figures are good but they could probably get loose over time. I cant wait for the Prodigy figures to hit stores and I am very anxious to start seeing whats coming in future waves.

#151 Razorgeist

Razorgeist

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 505 posts

Posted 11 October 2022 - 09:21 PM

Ok can someone clarify what markings on the Enterprise are printed on and which are stickers?  Because Ive heard that the registry markings are printed on.  I mean Playmates can clearly do the printed on thing.

#152 Morgan

Morgan

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 12 October 2022 - 01:44 PM

bgiles, interesting comment about the ball joints, I was wondering just how snug those would be. Ratcheting I think might have been too pricey for them for the scale. And it already seems like they're cutting corners despite figures costing some readily felt money.

Speaking of joints, unpacked a mail-in Sisko yesterday (for the first time for that figure), had to soak him in boiling water and lots of soap like three times to make all the arm joints to work. Took an hour or so. That's a delicate thing with unboxing older figures. 

#153 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 12 October 2022 - 06:42 PM

Ok can someone clarify what markings on the Enterprise are printed on and which are stickers?  Because Ive heard that the registry markings are printed on.  I mean Playmates can clearly do the printed on thing.

Didnt even notice the stickers.

All the saucer markings appear to be printed on.

The federation red stripes and registry on the secondary hull and nacelles are stickers. The red stripes along the back of the secondary hull are printed on.

Odd choice to not just print everything,

Speaking of the Playmates Enterprise, I decided to modify mine to fix that horrible clear impulse engine. I also painted the white leds with transparent red paint.

Pretty happy with how it turned out.

https://imgur.com/a/MUcbUNF

#154 Razorgeist

Razorgeist

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 505 posts

Posted 12 October 2022 - 06:57 PM

Nice work.

#155 RizzoPSU

RizzoPSU

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 13 October 2022 - 07:39 PM

Nice upgrade! I just picked up the rest of the figures.....wave one is pretty cool. I only have 2 gripes:

Data's small hands😡 and reuse of the old accessories. Dear Lord his hands are tiny and the accessories made sense for the 90's figures (handles on Data's stuff, square block on back of Riker's tricorder and of course they are oversized).

Ended up getting the phaser too, damn I love it. It is almost exactly the old mold with some tweaks to make it a little more prop like. .....love those sounds!

#156 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 13 October 2022 - 08:20 PM

I dont want to give everyone the impression that the hip joints are loose. They actually hold up pretty well. Im just wondering if after 30 years they will still be so?
Yes, I love this new phaser too. I love that stun has a blue light and kill and overload are both red. I cant wait for TNG era phasers. I never owned one of those.
I cant wait to see more ships. Excited to see a new 1701-D too! Im really hopeful we see new and improved Romulan Warbird, Borg, etc. Bring on a D-7, Romulan BOP.a redo of DS9, Voyager, Defiant. Im definitely down for all of that!

#157 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 15 October 2022 - 02:56 PM

I get wanting to see newer versions of their old ships, but personally I'd like to see something new from them. Especially new show ships. Give me a SNW Enterprise, Discovery, Shenzhou, Cerritos, or Protostar. Hell, give me that sweet Enterprise F. 

Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see their other ships too, I just want to see new stuff instead of the usual rehashes Trek merch is subjected to. 

#158 Razorgeist

Razorgeist

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 505 posts

Posted 16 October 2022 - 01:57 AM

I get wanting to see newer versions of their old ships, but personally I'd like to see something new from them. Especially new show ships. Give me a SNW Enterprise, Discovery, Shenzhou, Cerritos, or Protostar. Hell, give me that sweet Enterprise F. 

Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see their other ships too, I just want to see new stuff instead of the usual rehashes Trek merch is subjected to. 

I'd like to see them take a crack at Voyager J, The 32nd century Constitution and La Sirena

#159 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 16 October 2022 - 02:18 PM

I want a lights and sound VGer. Thats one really cool design. Eagle Moss did a 6 inch one that was cool. I would also love to get that massive Klingon ship from Discovery the TKuvma and his followers had. I like what LEDs do to enhance the
Lighting features on the new ships so I definitely do not mind the redos on older ships but I also want to see new and never before done ships.

#160 Morgan

Morgan

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 17 October 2022 - 04:24 PM

::sigh:: I'm still waiting for someone to do a large Reliant, while we're at it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users