Adventure Planet

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Lord Mudd

Lord Mudd

Knows the way to Eden

• Members
  • 132 posts
  • Interests:Collecting 1/18 scale action figures: Star Trek, sci fi, and superheroes- Warhammer.

Posted 26 March 2014 - 01:48 AM

Here is the Adventure Planet Space Adventure box set I picked up today at the Houston Museum of Natural Science. It isn't Trek but it is space related so I thought I would share.
IMG0138A_zpsb9b774f8.jpg
It has 15 pieces, including the helmet and backpack for the Astronaut. The Astronaut is 11 PoA with simple hinge joints for the neck, shoulders, elbows, hips, knees, and ankles. He stands 3.75 inches tall and is sculpted to look like a real NASA astronaut, not a Hollywood astronaut like GIJoe or Alien. The helmet rotates to lock in place and has a flip down visor. The paint app is less than perfect, with the tips on the fingers not being painted, at least on this one.
IMG0139A_zps5ffa287c.jpg
There is a mini rover. It has 4 PoA and the tracks seem like they are supposed to move, but are very stiff. There is a survey tripod with 2 PoA. and several hand held tools, which do not stay in the hands very well.
IMG0140A_zpsb2692e8b.jpg
The set retails for $9.95. I do not think that is a bad value at all for what you get. The back of the box also shows 3 more sets which I have not seen and will have to inquire about, especially the one with the Lunar Rover.
IMG0141A_zps0910a585.jpg

CCC.

#2 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 08:31 AM

Thanks for sharing. That's a pretty cool set.

#3 Prometheus

Prometheus

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 11:08 AM

Wow...pretty cool.... The rover is a neat set also!!!

#4 robster

robster

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 12:23 PM

AWWWW MAAAN! Couldn't they have made the shuttle,named Enterprise naturally,lol,so the astronaut could fit inside?! Y'know,a huge playset kinda thing,lol! I keed,I keed. Would've been cool though. Wonder if they have these sets at JPL in L.A.? Gotta look into that and pop by there in July if they do. Cool sets!

J-R!

#5 robster

robster

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 12:46 PM

OOOoooOOOooohh.....you can order them online! The ones they have are a little different to the ones on the back of the box though. There's two large sets,and two smaller sets. 9.75 for the big ones and 4.80 for the........OOooooOOohhhh....MAKEYOUROWNVOLCANO!!!!! NEAT!!!!! OooOOOooohhhh....LITTLEPLAYSETSTOOPEN!!!!! TIGHT!!!! LOL! Ooooops,back on topic. Yeah,I'm a sucker for cheap tat. Ok,focusing again. ........4.80 for the small sets. The one in these pics wasn't there,maybe it's a newer set?! Still gonna check if they sell them at JPL though,nice excuse to pop by there,lol!

J-R!

#6 Prometheus

Prometheus

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 03:07 PM

robster.... When you say JPL do you mean the Jet Propulsion Laboratory? If you do, I didnt know it was open to the public?!!!

#7 robster

robster

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 05:07 PM

Yes,that's the JPL I mean. I don't think it's open to the public,but if you get to the information building they have,or at least used to have,a little gift shop there selling NASA stuff. Bought a pin when I was there,lol! And I can get in there 'cos I know.....and this is gonna sound real corny,lol.....a rocket scientist. His main work there for a few years was Spirit,till she got stuck in a ditch on Mars. Spirit was his baby,so to speak. He gave me a personal tour one summer a few years ago,and it was great fun. There was a team working very hard on trying to get Spirit outta the ditch and they had built an exact replica of the ditch in a big room and tried out various options to free her. Time consuming as every time they tried something new it would take 40 minutes to see if it worked. The signal they sent to Mars took 20 minutes to get there,and then the signal back with the results took 20 minutes to get here,lol! So yeah,pretty time consuming.

They found it real funny when I sent them a bunch of Mars bars from London a year later,lol! And the outdoors area had some nice animal life. Can't really say wild as they'd gotten real used to humans. There were deer walking about,and from time to time a cougar would pop up,or jump out as it were,lol!

Later the same day I also went to the Griffith Observatory. GORGEOUS evening! It was a fun day,that's for sure.

J-R!

#8 Prometheus

Prometheus

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 06:32 PM

Okay robster !!!  I'm jealous !!!  ;-)

#9 Jedigreedo

Jedigreedo

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 07:46 PM

Very nifty sets, next time I'm at the Air Force Museum I'll have to check if they have these sets since the Lunar Rover looks like a decent one.  The tracked rover is pretty interesting, mostly because its design is very similar to a robot that's used for bomb disposal. Hope that's not an indication of what NASA is actually looking for on Mars. :P

http://www.topnews.i...disposal-218882

#10 robster

robster

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 01:12 AM

Oh don't be Prometheus,I bet you get to do a lot of fun stuff I never get to do. Besides,I'm jealous that you get to live in the country I was meant to live in,lol! Probably why I come over three or four times a year. Will be back first weekend in May and can't WAIT to get outta here! See new Spidey movie,yaaay! lol! And some other movies. Then I'm back again in July for Comic Con,maybe pop by Yosemite Park again,defo going to my beach....Long Beach,WA.,one of the worlds longest beaches,lol....and then just roam around a bit. I don't really plan too much as I always end up doing something else. Y'know,whatever I feel like there and then,lol! Then have to wait for YONKS to get back in October for NYCC! JIMINY CRICKET! Two months in this DUMP! lol! OH and I also know someone who works at ESA,but his work is mostly to do with the sun,and it's not as fun. Caltech is fun though. lol!

I'm actually gonna check into that whole open to the public thing at JPL,as I wasn't the only one on a tour that day. And why on Earth would they have two gift shops on the premises?! I remember doing the walking tour at Paramount the same year ST Enterprise premiered.....yes,we snuck onto the sets,lol....and they had a nice gift shop too,which I wish was BEFORE you get onto the lot,so I could go back again whenever I wanted to to do some shopping,but no,you had to go through the gates to get there. Not like Universal where most of the shops are before you pay obscene amounts of money to get in,lol! But it really is fun inside as well.

I like to travel,get around,see new things,meet weird and wonderful people,and have nice moments in my life I can think about later. Sounds corny,but that's the way the cookie crumbles.

Off to Disney to pick up some Captain America promo stuff and hopefully a Guardians of the Galaxy movie poster. My living room needs a makeover,and the GotG poster is one I'd like to put on my wall. I like to change it around every now and then,even though I have some posters permanently framed as well.

GEE,off topic again?! Ok. So,were there smaller sets as well,where you bought this one? Seems it's one vehicle and some of the small stuff and an astronaut. The bigger sets have two vehicles and more small stuff and an astronaut. I too will be looking for the set with the Rover,lol! If the astronaut fits in it,then my ST figs from 2009 should fit in there as well. NEAT!

Ok,before this turns into a novel......signing off.

J-R!

#11 robster

robster

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 01:16 AM

And just looked into the whole JPL open to the public thing,and yes,it IS open to the public but you have to make a reservation. Tours are either Monday or Wednesday,and it's free. Tour takes about 2-2.5 hours. They also have Open House once or twice a year.

J-R!

#12 Lord Mudd

Lord Mudd

Knows the way to Eden

• Members
  • 132 posts
  • Interests:Collecting 1/18 scale action figures: Star Trek, sci fi, and superheroes- Warhammer.

Posted 28 March 2014 - 11:24 PM

Glad I could help.

CCC.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users