27 replies to this topic

#1 Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 432 posts
  • Interests:Props, uniforms, 9" clothed figures

Posted 15 June 2008 - 01:55 PM

I just saw this week's Galactica episode. And a great episode it was. But when I watched it for the second time, I noticed a blooper. Felix' amputated leg (which was digitally removed) has a shadow. How can they have removed the leg digitally (obvious from the angle of the shadow that it was digitally removed) and forgotten about the shadow? Aren't these people paid to watch the entire frame? Here's a clickable screenshot.

#2 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 05:01 PM

Sorry to burst your theory Berns but They didnt forget to remove the shadow. It is the shadow if his pants leg that was tied up. You can see how the pant leg was pointing out behind him when he stood up from his chair just before that scene.

#3 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 06:33 PM

Why is it Burns that I look at the photo for like 3 seconds and it fades away to a survey?

#4 Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 432 posts
  • Interests:Props, uniforms, 9" clothed figures

Posted 16 June 2008 - 12:32 AM

QUOTE(JMW326 @ Jun 16 2008, 01:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sorry to burst your theory Berns but They didnt forget to remove the shadow. It is the shadow if his pants leg that was tied up. You can see how the pant leg was pointing out behind him when he stood up from his chair just before that scene.

No way. You can see the knee, the heel and the foot. Look again. An empty pant leg doesn't hang horizontally for about 40 cm!

#5 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 05:10 AM

I wish I could but I only get 3 seconds to look at the big photo!!

#6 The_Donster

The_Donster

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,198 posts
  • Interests:OMG!! Clearly my hobby is getting away from me at the moment if anyone remembers the pics of my collection on the old AA forum. While mine isn't as focused as Mark's, it's start to rival his, lol. Long answer short, too many to narrow down.

Posted 16 June 2008 - 06:34 AM

Yeah, I'm going to go with the wife on this and ask that you consider a new hobby Berns tongue.gif Because damn!! (her words, not mine) laugh.gif Besides, when they remove the leg that was there, they have to put whatever is replacing it in there too. So sorry, your argument doens't hold up much sad.gif I'm going with JMW & FHC on this one.

#7 JMW326

JMW326

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 06:36 AM

QUOTE(Cpt. Phil T. Berns @ Jun 16 2008, 01:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No way. You can see the knee, the heel and the foot. Look again. An empty pant leg doesn't hang horizontally for about 40 cm!

Then he must have the skinniest calf and most square foot I have ever seen. LOL. When I saw him stand up from his chair I remember thinkg that his pant leg looked pretty odd sticking back like it was. And remember shadows stretch depending on how far away the light is. I still stand on my rulling that it is not his lower leg. Another way to check is actualy try and hold your leg in the position that would make that shadow. It is not a natural position and does not match the way he is holding his leg.

#8 Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 432 posts
  • Interests:Props, uniforms, 9&quot; clothed figures

Posted 16 June 2008 - 07:10 AM

Alright, you guys don't see it. No problem for me. I bet you guys don't even see what's wrong in this picture.

Yet to the trained eye (and I've been photoshopping for more than 10 years now) it's sooooo obvious.

But getting back to Galactica. Are you guys saying the actor really lost his leg? No, his leg was digitally removed.

Let me help you. I have drawn where his leg must have been. Notice on the picture right that where they removed the leg, they did not paint in the chair's leg. Instead they painted the empty spot in the color of the background. That is however something you don't see unless you make the image very light. So indeed, they did remove his leg digitally. But they forgot to remove the shadow. And you notice it even more when you play the scene and see the moving image.

And as to the calf being skinny? One word: perspective.

#9 JMW326

JMW326

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 08:52 AM

I am not disputing that his leg was digitaly removed at all. I am just saying you may be wrong on this one. I too have a little bit of experiance with photoshop and several other editting applications and work with them on a daily basis. I have done my fare share of post and composite work and have a pretty good eye when it comes to that stuff. I also know several of the BSG effects team well enough to say that something like that would be hard to get by them. But I also know that the more I push this point the more you will try and argue it so. That is all I plan to say about that.

#10 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
  • Interests:Stately playboy by day ... profitable pimp by night. I like to watch movies, listen to music, go out ... friends ... food ... all the essentials of life.

Posted 16 June 2008 - 09:45 AM

Okay, you tease! You can't post a second picture and just say, "you should be able to see it"! LOL

I'm with Bernsie on the first photo though, there is definitely a leg sticking out there.

#11 The_Donster

The_Donster

• Members
  • 2,198 posts
  • Interests:OMG!! Clearly my hobby is getting away from me at the moment if anyone remembers the pics of my collection on the old AA forum. While mine isn't as focused as Mark's, it's start to rival his, lol. Long answer short, too many to narrow down.

Posted 16 June 2008 - 11:16 PM

What are you some sort of flim-flam man Berns. You throw up a second picture to distract us from your weak argument on the BSG photo rolleyes.gif I don't see it either, but like I'll agree with JMW326. You would definitely argue the point so long we'd forget what the original argument was by the time you were done laugh.gif I'm sure both you and Slayerone look at those 3D photo's enough, you actually see more than just the image you were originally looking for tongue.gif BTW, spill the beans on the WWW pic. Is it James picture has been mirrored and his hair is actually parted on the other side or that Artemis wasn't actually in Season 3 of WWW due to something or another?

#12 Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 07:14 AM

I'm waiting for JMW326 to tell us what's wrong with the WWW picture. wink.gif

#13 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 17 June 2008 - 07:19 AM

Well its prety obvious that Will Smith the star of Wild Wild West isnt in the picture. He photoshopped it to make him look white. biggrin.gif

#14 Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 07:24 AM

QUOTE(thehsbr @ Jun 17 2008, 03:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well its prety obvious that Will Smith the star of Wild Wild West isnt in the picture. He photoshopped it to make him look white. biggrin.gif

LOL!!! That's the best joke I've heard in days. Just one thing to add. I didn't photoshop the WWW picture. But those who did made a mistake. A mistake the trained eye spots on the spot.

Oh and I won't be argumenting about the Galactica picture anymore. I know what I see and I don't really give a frak if others don't see it. wink.gif Case closed.

#15 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
  • Interests:Stately playboy by day ... profitable pimp by night. I like to watch movies, listen to music, go out ... friends ... food ... all the essentials of life.

Posted 17 June 2008 - 10:08 AM

QUOTE(The_Donster @ Jun 17 2008, 12:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm sure both you and Slayerone look at those 3D photo's enough, you actually see more than just the image you were originally looking for tongue.gif

Just for that, you are on my list mister!! tongue.gif biggrin.gif

#16 Samwise Gamgee

Samwise Gamgee

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 339 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 12:28 PM

Well, I think the David Eick's video blog: Are You Frakkin' Kidding Me? could explain why his leg shadow looks so skinny.
http://www.scifi.com...e...=9&sub=blog
About 2/3 of the way through they are interviewing Alessandro and they pan down to show his leg in a tight green sock. Anyway, I think his shadow was left unpainted too.

#17 The_Donster

The_Donster

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 06:40 PM

QUOTE(slayerone76 @ Jun 17 2008, 09:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just for that, you are on my list mister!! tongue.gif biggrin.gif

WOOHOO!! FINALLY!! tongue.gif It's in all good fun Slayerone76, you know that. But you might want to remind Bernsie, I think he's taking this too seriously laugh.gif I stand by my shenigans though for the WWW pic, it's to detract from his weak arguments on the BSG leg shadow. Speaking of which, why isn't this in the BSG form blink.gif It wasn't until I sat down at my computer that I realized this was in the wrong forum, lol. I'm usually looking at the forum through my phone and didn't catch it when I hit "View new posts" mellow.gif

#18 Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 02:30 AM

QUOTE(The_Donster @ Jun 18 2008, 02:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
WOOHOO!! FINALLY!! tongue.gif It's in all good fun Slayerone76, you know that. But you might want to remind Bernsie, I think he's taking this too seriously

I've never been accused of taking things too seriously. wink.gif

#19 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 07:45 PM

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO not you!!! tongue.gif

#20 Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 09:11 AM

Well since JMW326 is not putting his money where his mouth is wink.gif I'll reveal what's wrong with the www picture.

Look at Artie's hat. It is obviously digitally added to the picture. Least obvious is the angle. Artie is looking left of the camera but the hat would suggest he's looking right of the camera. A little more obvious is the angle the light comes from. On his face the light source is right of the camera, on the hat the light source is left of the camera. but the most obvoious thing about it is something one should spot immediately. There is no shadow of the hat on his forehead. Look at the shadow Artie's nose leaves. There should be a shadow like that (but bigger, since the rim of the head sticks out a lot more than his nose) on his forehead. All in all, this amateur (me) says that this picture is the work of an amateur.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users