1701D's Content

There have been 544 items by 1701D (Search limited from 29-April 23)

Sort by                Order  

#89872 Star Trek Select

Posted by 1701D on 11 June 2017 - 09:15 PM in AA / DST

Are we going to see any DS9 and Voyager figures hit the select line? Sisko, Dukat, Odo, Quark... would all be amazing and I'd imagine pretty popular considering the lack of merchandise for those series. Female characters would be great too; 7of9, Janeway, Borg Queen, Uhura... Jaylah.

I'm cool with the Borg and future figures coming with more articulation and accessories but not an elaborate diorama piece. Similar to your Gotham line and closer to your older Star Trek range too.

I hope we see some variation in this line, would be cool to take a few calculated risks with what characters you do. I tend to think that there are more people out there who'd be tempted by a 7of9 figure than you may think.

7of9 with interchangeable accessories and parts to convert her from Borg drone to silver leotard goddess. I mean the figures for both the Borg Queen and 7of9 you had made a few years back, couldn't they be used in some way?

#89799 Star Trek Select

Posted by 1701D on 09 June 2017 - 04:38 AM in AA / DST

Zack wearing a t-shirt that says "the next ship is... the 2009 USS Enterprise" should suffice.

#91820 Star Trek - The Official Starships Collection

Posted by 1701D on 21 October 2017 - 10:39 AM in Everything else.

Jumbo NX-01 arrived today and I must say it looks a lot nicer in person. Its all diecast apart from the nacelles, its a heavy mother. Really nicely detailed and big!

Cant wait for the Voyager

#91213 Star Trek - The Official Starships Collection

Posted by 1701D on 23 September 2017 - 09:25 AM in Everything else.

Love the Discovery. The subscription for U.K. Subscribers goes up in January. It's £30 per month.

#91060 Star Trek - The Official Starships Collection

Posted by 1701D on 16 September 2017 - 07:43 AM in Everything else.

They could be speeding up the process though, a jumbo a month - as long as I can buy them online without subscribing then that's fine.

I wonder if the only way they could continue with the jumbo ships is to make them part of a subscription? Eaglemoss are a partworks company so producing items to sell on their website individually might not be something they're allowed to do?

#90209 Star Trek - The Official Starships Collection

Posted by 1701D on 19 July 2017 - 03:00 AM in Everything else.

I'd be interested to see where Destructor got his info from :-)

#91018 Star Trek - The Official Starships Collection

Posted by 1701D on 14 September 2017 - 02:48 PM in Everything else.

I don't get why they're starting a subscription to this jumbo size unless the jumbos they've already released are going to be different for the subscription the same way the test launch ships for the original subscription were different in terms of paint etc... than the official subscription.

#92686 Star Trek - The Official Starships Collection

Posted by 1701D on 12 January 2018 - 08:00 AM in Everything else.

Once theyve released the Discovery Im cancelling the subscription I have for the Discovery ships... I just dont see the point or appeal in a collection of random ships that mean nothing. Its a shame that Discovery had to redesign everything.

I also dont really get why theres a new line for Discovery anyway... these should of been offered as part of he existing Star Trek Starships Collection as jumbo ships.

The Battlestar Galactica is likely to be the only one I pick up from that line.

Would love Eaglemoss to do an Orville ship.

#93559 Star Trek - The Official Starships Collection

Posted by 1701D on 17 March 2018 - 06:45 PM in Everything else.

I got the Discovery yesterday and I was a little surprised at how small it is and so Im glad they changed the size to a larger scale for this series. Its a nice model, the windows are horribly misaligned but from where it sits on display, its barely noticeable. I like the design and I have no complaints.

That being said, Ive cancelled my subscription to this series now. I just cant justify spending £29.99 each month on a series of just generic space ships that have no visual connectivity to STAR TREK.

This feels like a pointless series for anyone other than new fans of Star Trek brought in by Discovery. Even then, the show is so brand new that did we really want an entirely new subscription series to a show we barely know yet?

I get why theyd want to do the Shenzou, the Discovery and the Sarcophagus ship as well as the Enterprise but who cares about the rest? This show isnt iconic, its visual style was completely removed from anything iconic and established, so doing an entirely new subscription when they could of just done these ships as specials like they have with the Kelvin Timeline ships just seems ridiculous.

So no, Ill buy the new Enterprise just because its the Enterprise and it looked like a cool reimagining of ship but yeah, its a bit OTT for me that this exists as an entirely new subscription series.

#93347 Star Trek - The Official Starships Collection

Posted by 1701D on 23 February 2018 - 05:16 AM in Everything else.

A picture of the jumbo Enterprise A is floating around the Internet

#93017 Star Trek - The Official Starships Collection

Posted by 1701D on 03 February 2018 - 05:54 AM in Everything else.

1701D, if you're in the UK, do you recall did the 9.99 for the Discovery Collection come out when we ordered, or just prior to shipping. I ordered way back when the collection was announced and I've been keeping an eye on bank statements online and can't see it going out in the last few weeks, do you remember?

Hi Andy,

Yeah as I recall the £9.99 came out of my account back in September when I pre ordered the subscription.

I recently emailed Eaglemoss to find out when I should be expecting the Shenzhou and they got back to me saying that itll likely be next week (Tuesday onwards) as they were shipping them out from the 1st Feb.

Hope this helps

#92988 Star Trek - The Official Starships Collection

Posted by 1701D on 31 January 2018 - 03:47 PM in Everything else.

They are prepping these to ship within the week according to Eaglemoss customer service. Im in the UK so should have mine in a couple of days.

#90146 Star Trek - The Official Starships Collection

Posted by 1701D on 06 July 2017 - 04:27 PM in Everything else.

They haven't improved.

Each one has just been the same sculpt as their standard issues, and each one has paint misalignment issues that seems to be pretty widespread. Even their smaller ships are plagued by misaligned paint apps, but it isn't as big of a deal because they-re small.

What's the end goal here Alt? Are we forever to be locked in a battle between which is better?

I say Eaglemoss, you say DST... it's a no win scenario. Both have their great points, both have their low points, I personally think that the Jumbos are pretty decent.

DST may have some QC issues on their stuff, but the issues don't seem nearly as widespread as what's going on with these jumbo's.

Is what's wrong with the jumbos down to quality or simply an omission in the actual sculpt? I'd say that the quality was far superior to that of the DST ships and that is taking into consideration the poor attempts at lining up the windows correctly.

Quality wise - the materials used are of high grade and the construction of each seems solid. The paint application is crisp on both and minus errors in the physical sculpt - which DSTs version of the D has in abundance - the Eaglemoss Enterprise D is a great looking model, made to a high standard, minus a few gaffs with the windows.

As for the choice of sculpt - it's not perfect but it's a damned sight closer to the original 6ft filming miniature than the DST version which is just a steaming pile of badly put together pieces of plastic, with dodgy wiring inside it to boot.

No, fine if you like big cheap plastic tat, but the Enterprise D from DST is atrocious, it is the worst ship they have ever made, its bad.

Not to mention their shoddy stands that barely work a lot of the time without gluing them together. Both DST and Eaglemoss screwed up with their stand designs, but at this point they can't change them without it look out of place with the rest of the line.

I like the uniformity of the Eaglemoss stands. They are hit and miss though, some of the clear parts don't fit all too well into the black metal base and yes, apply too much force and they will snap - but these ships aren't for the heavy handed or kids, they are for adult collectors to be displayed proudly atop a shelf.

As for the DST stands. Once the ball joint loosens, the ship either falls off the stand or doesn't hold its position. Neither company do well in the stand department but again, at least there's the option there to glue the clear piece into the black metal base plate without harming the ship. Plus being in the UK, Eaglemoss will send out replacement stands almost immediately.

As for the C, I'll believe it when I see it. They botched that ship real bad, and it shocks me they even went through with the model they used. 

They absolutely did botch the C but here's my point - Eaglemoss are willing to admit they messed up. DST aren't. Eaglemoss are willing to go back to a ship when needed and retool it for their jumbo scale, DST aren't. Eaglemoss brilliantly interact with the fans in a positive way. DST don't. Eaglemoss excite us by revealing their next ship(s). DST leave us hanging to the point where we believed they'd lost the licence to McFarlane.

Say what you will but you're not going to change my mind on DST and it's clear I'm not going to change yours on Eaglemoss.

#90135 Star Trek - The Official Starships Collection

Posted by 1701D on 06 July 2017 - 06:31 AM in Everything else.

You make no sense 1701.

The fact that youre so forgiving for the blatant inaccuracies on the EM ships, but seem to hate the DST ships for their slight issue is just insane.

Ok...

First of all, Eaglemoss don't escape my criticism. They've been sloppy on numerous occasions with misprinted windows and (for the US only, as I've so far, never had problems with their CS) poor customer service.

However, I'm a little less critical of them because look at what they've achieved and accomplished! Look at how many times they've got things right as opposed to got thing wrong. They've delivered some amazing product and expanded their line beyond even their wildest dream, they've shown they have passion and excitement for Star Trek with a standard of excellent quality as far as I'm concerned, despite the errors.

Another thing that goes a long long way, they aren't above acknowledging they've botched jobs. They've shown willing by some great communication between fans, especially Ben.

DST in stark contrast have shown a lack of enthusiasm for their own line and for Star Trek as a whole. Their line has been diminishing year on year, they've lacked the foresight and invention to come up with exiting product and what they have done right is too little too late. That may not be the case in DST's eyes but certainly Zach Oat has done nothing to inject me with any kind of excitement or genuine passion for Star Trek. His attitude stinks quite frankly.

Diamond come across as a slap-dash, that'll do company and while I have had no problems dealing with their CS, Zach is utterly utterly useless, whether that's due to him being overworked or just not that interested, he's just a douche with a funny beard.

Ben Robinson completely shows him up multiple times with bags of passion for his job, he's directly involved with the fans.

That's my take on DST vs Eaglemoss. Now, can DST do some great work? Absolutely, can Eaglemoss screw up? Damn straight. But quite honestly, my money would rather go to Eaglemoss and Ben than DST and Zach fecking Oat.

The pylons being slightly thicker, if its even true, on the NX-01 make it inferior to a version completely missing the deflector?

It's not missing the deflector, it's just a part of the sculpt rather than an added piece.

The nacelle pylons being slightly too short on the D makes it inferior to a version with a completely wrong deflector shape?

The DST D is cheap, tacky and badly done. The Eaglemoss version has its flaws but the build quality and the paint application is spot on. There's consistency to what Eaglemoss does, there's zero consistency to what DST do and most of the time you're hedging your bets and praying you don't get a faulty toy.

Eaglemoss yes there are issues as has been discussed here, but overall, the quality is consistently good, despite the flaws and when it's really bad, Eaglemoss do something about it, Zach just uses some sarcastic nonsense and defends DST.

Or how about the E that again you say have slightly thicker pylons being inferior to a version with a saucer thats way too thick, and bussard collectors that are too small.

I never brought up the Enterprise E and for the record I've said that both the NX-01 and E are both great toys despite their own flaws.

The only jumbo thats comparable to DST is the TOS Enterprise, but like all of their jumbos it has misaligned windows.

The jumbo NX-01 is garbage for display compared to DSTs.

Ill take the bigger ship with a more accurate sculpt and a way better paint job, as well as good lighting over a blown up sculpt that was made for a 5 inch model.

Same goes for every other jumbo EM has made.

Ok, and that's your opinion.

In my opinion, both companies produce product with multiple flaws to them. Inaccuracies and missing details. In my opinion due to the reasons stated, I'd rather spend my money on Eaglemoss product. In your opinion you'd rather spend your money on DST product.

#89669 Star Trek - The Official Starships Collection

Posted by 1701D on 03 June 2017 - 06:26 PM in Everything else.

Sweet display. I can't imagine this series going on to 200, how many more ships can they feesably do?!?

#89626 Star Trek - The Official Starships Collection

Posted by 1701D on 31 May 2017 - 06:16 AM in Everything else.

Wow, I'm up for the titan and the adventine.

#89599 Star Trek - The Official Starships Collection

Posted by 1701D on 29 May 2017 - 01:17 PM in Everything else.

https://s-media-cach...c369e93edf2.jpg

I dunno it looks pretty accurate. Not 100% but pretty close.

#89587 Star Trek - The Official Starships Collection

Posted by 1701D on 29 May 2017 - 04:18 AM in Everything else.

I'd say the jumbo NX will be the same size as the NX refit

#89840 Star Trek - The Official Starships Collection

Posted by 1701D on 10 June 2017 - 11:06 AM in Everything else.

So eaglemoss are relaunching the Star Trek Starships subscription! Hopefully some of the issues with the first run will be rectified with this second run.

It's good news nevertheless as it shows real success and confidence in this Eaglemoss Star Trek range.

Looking forward to the Discovery part works.

#89922 Star Trek - The Official Starships Collection

Posted by 1701D on 15 June 2017 - 05:31 PM in Everything else.

So I've got the jumbo D. It's nice, there's something a little off about the proportions and shapes, especially around the main deflector dish but it's a solid model and would look fantastic on your desk or shelf or sideboard at home.

I can't help feel a little disappointed with it though. There are problems with the window placement on the underside of the saucer, I mean blatantly just windows applied to the hull. They're not even anywhere near the windows. Everywhere else seems fine though and wisely, they seem to have chosen not to sculpt in a lot of the windows meaning that the windows on the top of the saucer and elsewhere, no such huge misalignment issues seem obvious.

There's the same amount of diecast to plastic in this model as there is in the miniature version of the ship. Essentially this is a blown up version of issue 1 minus a more accurate colour scheme which is a disappointment, as is it's size... it's just a smudge bigger than the Franklin. I'm not sure how they've justified the huge gulf in price on this one.

I feel like I've been slightly robbed of £49.99. Although this is a weighty ship, it's heavy (perhaps too top heavy) and as you know from the DST thread, weight means quality, and don't get me wrong, this is still a quality piece, the materials don't feel cheap, it does leave me a little disappointed.

Where I feel I've been robbed is the fact that there isn't more diecast in the secondary hull and that there are the same silly mistakes on this as there are on the cheaper models and also that it's the same size roughly as a £23.99 special... how do you justify more than doubling the price?!?

Is it still a nice model? Yes
Is it better than the DST model? Yes
Is it worth £49.99? No

I'm still going to go for the Enterprise E and Voyager after that and so on, because unlike DST, Eaglemoss have shown real passion and excitement over their Star Trek range, there's a real sense of enthusiasm with Eaglemoss and that goes a long long way for me.

#89570 Star Trek - The Official Starships Collection

Posted by 1701D on 28 May 2017 - 04:21 AM in Everything else.

Beyond refit and jumbo Voyager sound sweet!

#90133 Star Trek - The Official Starships Collection

Posted by 1701D on 06 July 2017 - 03:14 AM in Everything else.

The pylons on all of the DST ships have had to be thickened from their original CGI counterpart to contain wiring for the lights in the nacelles. That change then changes the proportions of the entire ship and makes it less accurate than the Eaglemoss version.

The large stand hole in the secondary hull is an obvious one too.

As I said though, the NX-01 is one of the better ships for accuracy. The Enterprise E from DST suffered from a huge lack of detail that was intricately included to the first NX-01 and Enterprise A from Art Asylum.

But again, let's ask Doug Drexler, the guy who designed the NX-01. I'd actually love to know what he thinks?

At the end of the day though it really comes down to this; one is made and sold as a toy, the other is made and sold as a collectible - I'd rather go for the collectible.

#90094 Star Trek - The Official Starships Collection

Posted by 1701D on 04 July 2017 - 03:40 AM in Everything else.

in the UK the subscription is starting again and I signed up because I didn't sign up to the subscription the first time. I'm really looking forward to the ships we are never going to see in any other format.

#89927 Star Trek - The Official Starships Collection

Posted by 1701D on 16 June 2017 - 03:19 AM in Everything else.

I've put a picture up on my gallery? Hopefully you see it. If not then there are comparison photos on the eaglemoss fan Facebook page

#90141 Star Trek - The Official Starships Collection

Posted by 1701D on 06 July 2017 - 10:52 AM in Everything else.

And it looks bad not protruding from the hull like its supposed to. 

These jumbo's are just slapped together, blown up versions of their 5 inch ships. They have made zero changes to them at all, and all they are are attempts to get more money out of the sculpts, and for most of them so far they look bad. 

The only reason the D looks better is because of the impressive aztek paint apps on it. If DST added them to theirs, it would look a lot nicer than EM's does. 

I'm sure it'll work well for some of their ships, like the TOS Enterprise, probably Defiant, and hopefully Voyager, but it certainly doesn't work for all of them. 

Sure, in your opinion.

I don't agree that these jumbos are slapped together, I'm hoping with each release they'll improve. We already know that the C will have the added impulse engine on the neck and the Excelsior will be an improvement over the initial release apparently and look, Alteran, its mostly down to the attitudes of the respective people we, the fans, come into contact with. Ben Robinson is a great guy, his great at chatting to the fans and being really understanding and appreciative of fan participation. Zach Oat? No way. He's a douche and that is a massive turn off for me to invest my money in DST Trek, on top of the fact that their product is so hit and miss in quality.

Eaglemoss quality is pretty good despite the flaws mentioned.