• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#21 Razorgeist

Razorgeist

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 505 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 08:10 PM

I wonder what dialogue clips it'll have?

Id love them to tweak some stuff, but they seem to want DST to go back to the drawing board on this ship.

I suppose if DST ever makes a Prometheus you and I should go to twitter and rant that the lifepods are the wrong color.

#22 DefiantOne

DefiantOne

Lives in the city on the edge of forever

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 05:08 AM

I wonder what dialogue clips it'll have?

I'd say a few Tasha Yar and even Lt. Castillo clips would be awesome. Captain Garrett has some possible lines, too. Captain Picards little "We've intercepted three klingon battlecruisers on an intercept course" speech would also be great.

#23 Razorgeist

Razorgeist

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 505 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 05:52 AM

I'd say a few Tasha Yar and even Lt. Castillo clips would be awesome. Captain Garrett has some possible lines, too. Captain Picards little "We've intercepted three klingon battlecruisers on an intercept course" speech would also be great.

""One more ship will make no difference in the here and now, but twenty-two years ago, one ship could have stopped this war before it started."

#24 Qcjoe

Qcjoe

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 674 posts
  • Interests:scifi,comics,actionfigures,baseball,football

Posted 21 July 2018 - 06:50 AM

Im in a big twitter conversion with that person and a couple others that seem to want perfection from the ship.
Id love them to tweak some stuff, but they seem to want DST to go back to the drawing board on this ship.

Edit:
Holy crap he is having a melt down. Even with the inaccuracies, I think it looks pretty damn good.

it’s people like them who make Trek fans look bad.

#25 Genty

Genty

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 07:14 AM

I don't mind some little inaccuracies on a model, it's when there is something that is so wrong that it stands out that bugs me. With the Eaglemoss Ent-C I can live with the lowered nacelles, it's having the wrong sensor dome and lack of impulse engine that I can't stand. Since the pics for the DST one show the right sensor dome I'm happy with it so far. Since it is more than likely just a prototype I'll reserve any more judgement till I see a production onr, probably in 2025.

#26 DefiantOne

DefiantOne

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 08:17 AM

Why do people think it'll look like the Eaglemoss version anyway? Have they even seen any other federation ship from DST?

#27 djc242

djc242

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 02:48 PM

I also spotted the two smaller phaser strips on the back of the upper saucer which weren’t on the Eaglemoss version, so maybe they’ve done some proper fixes.

#28 DefiantOne

DefiantOne

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 06:54 PM

I also spotted the two smaller phaser strips on the back of the upper saucer which weren’t on the Eaglemoss version, so maybe they’ve done some proper fixes.

They've done some proper fixes on the.. Eaglemoss version? Am I missing something here, what does DST have to do with Eaglemoss especially with the not even released models (XL from Eaglemoss) from both companies.

#29 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 07:04 PM

The DST model is almost identical to the EM one.

Theyve fixed the sensor done and Phaser strips, and the paint apps are much more accurate.

Other than that theyre seemingly the same.

It seems very likely they are using the same CGI model as Eaglemoss given they have similar innaccuracies.

#30 Jay K

Jay K

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,914 posts
  • Interests:Music, Star Trek, and gaming.

Posted 21 July 2018 - 11:36 PM

CBS no doubt hands out reference material to the various product manufacturers, and in the case of the Enterprise-C, it seems the model Ben Robinson commissioned for Eaglemoss has now become the 'official' version of her. This is kind of like what happened with the Defiant before 2013 - the Foundation Imaging version of her, the CG version that looks nothing like the filming miniature, was the official version, and this is why the toys and models made by the likes of Playmates, AMT/Ertl, F-Toys and Furuta are all based on that horrible version.

It's not a big deal here, but I find it quite unfortunate that this can still happen nowadays (where 100% accurate to the filming miniature versions are available). Even if he's no longer involved with the shows, I wish they'd place someone like Mike Okuda in charge of stuff like this - cataloguing accurate versions of ships, props and the like. Not just someone who's getting paid, but someone who actually cares about this kind of stuff.

#31 MisterPL

MisterPL

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 08:57 AM

CBS needs to commission someone to 3D-model key vehicles. The fact that licensees have to start from scratch is inexcusable.

#32 Alex

Alex

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 926 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 03:52 AM

WOAH! I can finally check this one off my DST bucket list once it hits shelves, thanks DST! :D If they do Voyager as the next Federation ship after the Reliant I will be a very happy customer, even moreso than usual.

Considering that the ambassador model was damaged and isnt available and no CG model was ever made for the show I think DST did the best they could.  Everything he pointed out seems to be a fairly minor detail that was barely noticeable.

What about the CG model from TNG–R? The remastered version of Yesterday's Enterprise looks like it uses a CG model in at least a couple of spots, (the clarity is way too much of an improvement to be just a film rescan,) and the "excuse" that's been used about DS9/VGR having "missing models" as reason for not remastering them, (which has been debunked on multiple occasions now, at least half if not all of the models survived in the hands of those who worked on them despite what people initially believed, but that's another story) doesn't hold up. I mean it's literally a screen accurate asset that could have been provided to DST, and to Eaglemoss for that matter. Is this minor? Probably, but DST has been known for spot–on detail when possible, and something like this doesn't fit with what we've become use to from them.

In no way am I defending any super-nuttiness (bear in mind that Dave's British, and our sense of humour is very different in regards to making fun of something; 'taking the piss' as it were - also the Enterprise-C has been a recurring topic of humour/mockery in that group since it came out), but surely we can all agree that it's baffling that when there's renowned modellers who've made perfect versions of these ships for CBS themselves (Tobias), that they don't use them to make the documents that these merchandise companies can then use? It's just surprising to me, especially considering old Star Trek was the TV show known for being sticklers for detail.

Same as with the Enterprise-D, there's no manufacturing/electronics reason for the ship to be the wrong shape. Again, not trying to be negative (I agree in this instance that it really isn't too bad, looks lovely in regards to detail and build), but I'm just baffled that this still occurs nowadays.

I get where you're coming from Jay K, it's not even like there isn't an accurate CG asset in CBS's possesion; they have one, they made it for the HD remastering of TNG, and even if it had some flaws, it'd still be a "screen accurate" model of the C. The D is another story entirely, and I totally understand why DST did what they did. There were two, technically three radically different filming models of the D, (the "swan," the "bulldog," and the two foot model used as part of the warp drive effect in the opening,) and that's not even counting CG assets, all of which try to do the same thing DST's model attempted, which was to combine the swan and the bulldog. The problem is that the swan and the bulldog have entirely different proportions, so DST's ship has a weird neck, others have a weird saucer or some other wonky proportioning, and none or quite on the nose. I don't fault DST for this because nobody's nailed this one, and if they did, they'd need to do two entirely separate molds, and I don't expect DST to do that.

Why do people think it'll look like the Eaglemoss version anyway? Have they even seen any other federation ship from DST?

Actually, you raise an interesting point. How far along is the C? DST's initial display models have frequently been radically different than the final product. I believe the D was first displayed as an AMT model kit that DST–ified slightly, and no way indicative of the final ship. Whose to say that's not the case here? If nothing else, it's one way to guarantee that these sculpting issues are addressed early on.

They've done some proper fixes on the.. Eaglemoss version? Am I missing something here, what does DST have to do with Eaglemoss especially with the not even released models (XL from Eaglemoss) from both companies.

Hmm... Could they be sharing a sculptor now? We don't know whose taken over for Thomas Sasser after his unfortunate passing, so it's possible that someone is involved in the sculpts for both companies now. It's also possible that the C was further along than the Reliant specifically because it was a digital asset that CBS provided and that just happened to have some flaws that DST fixed and EM didn't. This is also assuming it's not just another case of an early representation, which DST has done before.

CBS no doubt hands out reference material to the various product manufacturers, and in the case of the Enterprise-C, it seems the model Ben Robinson commissioned for Eaglemoss has now become the 'official' version of her. This is kind of like what happened with the Defiant before 2013 - the Foundation Imaging version of her, the CG version that looks nothing like the filming miniature, was the official version, and this is why the toys and models made by the likes of Playmates, AMT/Ertl, F-Toys and Furuta are all based on that horrible version.

It's not a big deal here, but I find it quite unfortunate that this can still happen nowadays (where 100% accurate to the filming miniature versions are available). Even if he's no longer involved with the shows, I wish they'd place someone like Mike Okuda in charge of stuff like this - cataloguing accurate versions of ships, props and the like. Not just someone who's getting paid, but someone who actually cares about this kind of stuff.

The question is why CBS handed out this particular model, and not a more accurate one when we know that they have them. I agree with you on hiring someone like Mike Okuda too, they could get him as a consultant and pay him a fraction of what it'd cost to have him on full time with a production too, so it's not like it'd be a giant expenditure that wasn't worth much to them either. Likewise, there's a legion of fans they could hire as consultants who care about this sort of thing for a fraction of what Mike Oduka would cost, this kind of stuff shouldn't be happening when people can say "the nacelles are wrong, here's the photos that prove it," and someone back at CBS can go and correct the issue. I still don't get why the model from TNG remastered isn't the "official" one for marketing purposes either. It seems like it should have been a no-brainer to use that. It's not like it hasn't been done before either, both the NX-01 and Enterprise–E had CGI models provided to Art Asylum/DST that were bit-level copies of the filming models. I see no reason why that can't be done again.

Don't get me wrong, I'll still be buying two of these, I just need to know when DST will roll out the "cash receptacles' for us to throw our money at this thing. ;)

CBS needs to commission someone to 3D-model key vehicles. The fact that licensees have to start from scratch is inexcusable.

#33 djc242

djc242

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 09:08 AM

Alex, the starship footage in Yesterdays Enterprise is made entirely with physical models. You can see the different lighting passes in the behind the scenes features on the Blu Ray set. As far as I know the only CG ships used in the remastered TNG was the D itself (the beautiful shot in Unification) and the new explosion of the Borg cube in Best of Both Worlds.

#34 Razorgeist

Razorgeist

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 505 posts

Posted 06 October 2018 - 07:31 AM

Some closer pics of the Enterprise-C from Trek core.

https://scontent-lga...d03&oe=5C5D757E

https://scontent-lga...a4b&oe=5C55E202

As I said on facebook the windows seem to be indented on this one as opposed to the Excelsior, Enterprise-B, and Enterprise-D thats a welcome change if you ask me.  I wonder if any of them light up like some of the windows on the 2 Bird's of prey.  There also seems to be a missing phaser strip on the top of the saucer though I'd imagine that could be fixed before the ship goes into production.

#35 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 06 October 2018 - 09:20 AM

The C looks pretty good. Very curious what this and the EM XL will look like next to each other. 

There are a LOT of seam issues on this prototype though, probably the worst I've seen on a DST ship. I'm assuming it'll be fixed when it goes into production. 

As I said on facebook the windows seem to be indented on this one as opposed to the Excelsior, Enterprise-B, and Enterprise-D thats a welcome change if you ask me.  I wonder if any of them light up like some of the windows on the 2 Bird's of prey.  There also seems to be a missing phaser strip on the top of the saucer though I'd imagine that could be fixed before the ship goes into production.

If they make the windows light up, I don't care about the sculpt inaccuracies. It'd be amazing, and would look incredible on display. 

I do like they're indenting them versus painting them. Can't have misaligned or sloppy windows if they aren't painted!

But most importantly, the impulse engine is there:

RZJVDtH.jpg

#36 Razorgeist

Razorgeist

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 505 posts

Posted 06 October 2018 - 10:43 AM

There are a LOT of seam issues on this prototype though

The Nacelles seem inbalanced as well.  I'd chalk it up to some fiddling with the prototype to quote Cheif O'Brien " I hate prototypes."

#37 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 05:57 PM

Any news on release for this or is it still in Limbo like everything else DST???

#38 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 14 September 2019 - 01:58 PM

The gold one released, so I'd imagine the normal one should release at some point. 

Hope they fixed the missing phaser strip, but I'd be surprised. 

#39 LT CMDR DATA

LT CMDR DATA

Tracking number maniac

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 12:31 PM

review of the gold SDCC Enterprise-C
https://youtu.be/55vY7_SpYi8

#40 JGG1701

JGG1701

Toys before the light bill.

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 04:05 AM

So are they going to come out with the Painted version of the Enterprise C (not gold) or not?
-Jim G.G.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users