Nemesis Phaser / Stapleton Productions
Posted 31 January 2010 - 10:56 AM
Posts 1-4 were all written as I was working on it last week.
Materials used so far (I'll add as I use it)...
Duplicolor gray sandable primer
JB Quick Weld
300, 400 and 600 grit sandpaper
black packing foam
blue painter's masking tape
Bondo glazing putty
Duplicolor Medium Charcoal Metallic spray paint (DSFM225 paintcode)
Duplicolor clear coat
Here's what it should look like when it's done (minus the electronics). This is a pic of FHC's Nemesis phaser.
This is how the kit looks before assembly.
When the kit arrived the first thing I noticed was a giant sprue on the end of the handle. I didn't have a dremel or a file so I just attacked it with some 300 grit sandpaper.
Next I started to get the pieces ready for priming. I masked off all the metal areas and filled the holes with little pieces of foam.
Posted 31 January 2010 - 11:04 AM
Next I Used JB Weld to glue the bottom part to the main body. Once that dried I used putty to fill in the crevices. When the putty dried I sanded smooth the best I could. I haven't perfected my putty application yet, but it was all very smooth to the touch.
I stuck the button cover to the end of popsicle stick and primed that. Then I stuck the main body and front part the end of a coat hanger (the screw holes are the perfect size for that) and primed those, too . I love how primer shows all the little spots you missed. I'm definitely going to have to go back and touch up some pin holes and the seam between the upper and lower phaser bodies. I want that seam to be perfect!!
Posted 31 January 2010 - 11:08 AM
I then re-puttied the seams and a few other minor imperfections on the main body and the front end. When the putty dried I wet sanded it back down to a nice smooth finish and then tapped dry with a paper towel. Here's what I ended up with.
Hopefully I got the seam this time. I guess I won't really know till the primer goes on again. Not sure if I'll be able to get that done today as it's a bit breezy here today. We'll see ...
Posted 31 January 2010 - 11:12 AM
The breezes let up the afternoon and I was able to get the primer on. It hung to dry in the garage for a few hours. At first I wasn't happy with the way it looked. I thought I could still see the seams. I proceeded to wet sand with 600 grit sandpaper and it really started to look good. I worked on the seams and they started to melt away. Nice! There's still one spot that needs a little putty touch up but for the most part it looks great.
I really wish I did this wet sanding with the Dustbuster phaser. I guess the next one will look even better!
Here are the pics ...
I even got the coils and the button cover done.
This is where I'm up to now. Next will be to start on the top coat of paint.
Posted 31 January 2010 - 11:45 AM
Posted 02 February 2010 - 10:30 PM
Sure am glad I decided to give the emitter a good polish .... ewwwwwww.
I was able to get a few coats of paint on this morning (Duplicolor Medium Charcoal Metallic DSFM225) and a few coats of clear coat. I wet sanded between all coats except the clear coat. Looks really good I think. The color is photographing a lot darker than it really is for some reason.
I got the power meter in. I didn't even use and glue. It was a VERY tight fit.
I glued the emitter tip to the front cowling.
I attached the coils back to the main body.
Next I screwed the handle back on.
Then I glued the little round knobs to the underside of the front cowling.
Posted 02 February 2010 - 10:33 PM
Here are some final pictures.
....and the display.
1 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users