• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#41 Wildcard

Wildcard

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 02:25 PM

I guess for me it's all the white and the transparent podium. It looks like it's trying to look futuristic. I'm 100% ok with the uniforms.

#42 Artistix

Artistix

Trek Toy.com Member of the Month Feb 2010

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 05:23 PM

The uniforms look really funky. I dig the sets too.

#43 Wildcard

Wildcard

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 10:44 PM

HAHA...in the EW article, they said that visitors to the bridge set asked "Where's the Genius Bar?" ala the Apple Stores. I knew there was a reason that aesthetic seemed to be "forced futuristic" to me.

#44 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 18 October 2008 - 06:54 AM

I think everything looks really cool right now. Im happy with the modernization but also how they retained the classic look of the ships. After rewatching TOS I always thought that the old uniforms looked like Under Armor type clothing and now they do so even more!

#45 Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 432 posts
  • Interests:Props, uniforms, 9" clothed figures

Posted 20 October 2008 - 04:41 AM

JJ doesn't understand Star Trek TOS at all! He's given Spock a hairpiece. But all of us fans know that in TOS, the one with the hairpiece was KIRK!! Not Spock. So JJ doesn't understand Trek at all!

Seriously now, the uniforms in the new movie look great. They consist of a gold/blue/red overshirt and a black undershirt. In the pictures I can see that Kirk has wounds in his face. I therefor think his gold shirt got torn apart and instead of running around in rags, he runs around in his undershirt.

I however do not like the bridge set. It might be OK for another ship's bridge but I hope it is not the bridge of the NCC-1701.

I don't agree that the sets of TOS don't fit in with the rest of Trek. I thought they looked more futuristic than the ones from ENT and less futuristic than the ones from TMP 'till VOY. The only things that look outdated in TOS are the exterior short (who have been remade for TOS-R) and the guys-in-rubber-suits aliens like the Gorn. They too should have been redone for TOS-R but unfortunately they weren't.

#46 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 20 October 2008 - 06:13 AM

Im thinking Kirk gets stripped of his starfleet rank somehow and that is why he is in the black shirt and the story revolves around him getting it back.

#47 Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 432 posts
  • Interests:Props, uniforms, 9" clothed figures

Posted 20 October 2008 - 04:04 PM

If he had lost his rank, he wouldn't be sitting in the Captain's chair. That's what I think.

#48 knightone

knightone

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 04:42 PM

Remember, time is being played with in this movie. It's an integral part of the plot.

#49 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 09:00 PM

Maybe its a temporary uniform where he ticks people off by cheating on the Kobiyashi Maru simulation and now has to go on an extra mission to earn his full rank like a captain's training mission.

#50 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 09:53 PM

That's my thoughts

#51 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 01:31 AM

For all we know the bridge set is the Kobyash Maru scenario....And As for the uniforms, I kinda lie them.

#52 sallah

sallah

Herbert.

• Members
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 01:23 PM

QUOTE (TheHSBR @ Oct 20 2008, 10:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Maybe its a temporary uniform where he ticks people off by cheating on the Kobiyashi Maru simulation and now has to go on an extra mission to earn his full rank like a captain's training mission.

That's exactly what I said a few posts back! Great minds must think alike wink.gif

Sallah

#53 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 09:56 PM

I think I read a similar article a few months back stating that they were going to use the simulation in the film.

#54 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 12:56 AM

Yeah they are, they described how Kirk cheated...it was a spoiler.

#55 knightone

knightone

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 11:54 PM

This article talks about the USS Kelvin. Why is the registry number NCC-0514, why not just NCC-514?

Also they talk about "our Starfleet" and how the saucer and nacelle technology is still being used in their movie. Thus confirming their intent has always been to basically launch a new continuity.

#56 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 06:39 AM

To be honest, I think a new one is the way to go.

#57 knightone

knightone

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 08:30 AM

I do to as it allows the writers more freedom to work with the universe without being bogged down by over forty years of canon. However, I know a lot of fans were hoping this were just filling in the blanks of adventures we never saw. Instead, it's a reboot using time travel and altered timelines as a way of reimagining the series without saying the previous four decades never happened (i.e. respecting the existing canon). While they did happen, it just won't matter to the new face of the franchise. Personally, I think the new continuity is the best option and the only real way to go if they want to bring in a new audience, but I know many members of the fan base will be upset by this as a lot of fans thought the statement of "respecting the existing canon" was synonymous with working within the existing canon.

#58 DS9_Fan

DS9_Fan

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 765 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 08:55 AM

I agree that establishing a new continuity is the way to go. If there is any hope for further projects in the future (ie sequels) then not being tied down by 40 years of history will help.

I'm very pleased with all the stuff I've seen. Never being a huge Classic Trek fan, I'm very much looking forward to this new take on things. And not being bound down by 40 years of Trek is only gonna help a new audience get hooked on it.

I just wish May wasn't so far away! huh.gif

#59 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 09:48 AM

QUOTE (knightone @ Oct 23 2008, 09:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I do to as it allows the writers more freedom to work with the universe without being bogged down by over forty years of canon. However, I know a lot of fans were hoping this were just filling in the blanks of adventures we never saw. Instead, it's a reboot using time travel and altered timelines as a way of reimagining the series without saying the previous four decades never happened (i.e. respecting the existing canon). While they did happen, it just won't matter to the new face of the franchise. Personally, I think the new continuity is the best option and the only real way to go if they want to bring in a new audience, but I know many members of the fan base will be upset by this as a lot of fans thought the statement of "respecting the existing canon" was synonymous with working within the existing canon.

I agree. We are going to get to see the characters we love in a new way. It is a great way to inject life back into the franchise and still pay tribute to the original. And hopefully pick up some new fans along the way.

#60 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 10:41 AM

This is what James Bond did right? They just started over?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users