Photo

Will you be purchasing the First Contact E Paint Version?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

Poll: Will you be picking up the First Contact E? (38 member(s) have cast votes)

Will you be getting the First Contact E Paint Version?

1. Yes.... (13 votes [34.21%])

Percentage of vote: 34.21%

2. No... (13 votes [34.21%])

Percentage of vote: 34.21%

3. Maybe... (12 votes [31.58%])

Percentage of vote: 31.58%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Prometheus

Prometheus

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:29 PM

I started to ask this question in another thread but thought this would make a good poll and allow people to voice their thoughts..... I for one am disappointed that Zach has said he doesn't think this version will have a new chip... ( Hence no always on feature) but I for one will still be getting it. If you put maybe be sure to explain why you chose this option.

#2 Exelion

Exelion

Tracking number maniac

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:41 PM

Maybe, I wasn't expecting a new sound chip (I wish they would do though), but I'm waiting to see what this version actually looks like (production images not a prototype). I've already got the original E and I'm not paying

#3 Jay K

Jay K

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,914 posts
  • Interests:Music, Star Trek, and gaming.

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:55 PM

I'll probably pass (voted 'no'). For a First Contact version, I'd at least want a new sound-chip (Moby Dick quotes, and of course, "NOOO, NAHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO *Glass Smash*" lol), but I'd want it to be accurate to that version. That's not me being nit-picky, but I'd want it to be what it should be - not just a lick of paint. I'm getting the new Nemesis version, which will be the most up-to-date version, and I'll be chuffed with that. smile.gif

#4 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:57 PM

I voted maybe. I really need to see what it looks like first.

#5 ryanlb

ryanlb

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 325 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:03 PM

It depends on just how different the deco is. I am totally the kind of person to buy multiple versions of the same thing, when they feel just enough different to me.

Years ago when I only collected Star Wars figures, my main focus was Clone Troopers, getting one or two of each deco. I stopped after a year or so, for a variety of reasons, some being the exact same deco in different colors isn't as appealing to me as different colors & patterns.
My main current obsession is the SH Figuarts line from the various Kamen Rider TV shows (Japan).

The one that comes to mind in this case, is Kuuga. He has 11 forms, and I own ten of them. At a glance they're repaints of each other, but when you examine them closely there are small differences in the detailing on the armor, or things like collar or shoulder-pad shape. I like seeing the progression of the armor changes as the show went on. In fact, 8 of the forms are in reality 4 forms, with and without gold trim. You can see what I'm talking about in this blurry picture - the dudes on the left on the first to tiers of the stand http://ryanlb.com/im...uugas-kivas.JPG
But it's the kind of variation I like

So, as long as the FC deco doesn't end up too similar to the Nemesis version, by my judgements, then I'll very likely get it, regardless of different sounds/lights. Cuz honestly, most of the time these just sit on a shelf looking pretty, so I want there to me some sort of visual distinction between them, even if that distinction is only apparent to a nerd like myself, or somebody who examines things in great detail.

However, I would prefer new sounds, there are so many great quotes from the film that I'd love to have on the ship.

'I will make them PAY for what they have done!'

#6 Jedigreedo

Jedigreedo

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:04 PM

Yes. I'm actually waiting on that one in favor of the Nemesis version, I like the detail work better on the FC version and don't see reason to have both.

#7 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:06 PM

Probably not, the E is a nice ship but its not my favorite, and I really don't want duplicates myself. The only reason I bought the Nemesis E was because of how much better the paint job was on it compared to the original.

#8 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:07 PM

Crap... The conversation moved underneath me. Hope I don't get scorned for cross-posting.

I usually buy 2 of each main release (one to open & display, one to keep sealed) and 1 of each variant (also kept sealed).

In the case of the E, I am reversing that. Bought 1 Nemesis, will be buying 2 First Contact.

Main reasons are, I already have the original Nemesis on display, it seems like there was an error on the Nemesis saucer while the FC looks to have come out as planned, and more superficially I like FC better as a film. tongue.gif

#9 BlueArrow

BlueArrow

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:15 PM

Two of these for me please!

#10 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:58 PM

Maybe:
My biggest factor is the sounds.
If they're new, and attractive - I very likely will.
If it's got a lights-on feature - almost certainly.
If the paint is much improved from the last WIP, that'd help.

#11 whitestar

whitestar

Toys before the light bill.

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:10 PM

Pretty happy with the Nemesis version. Now, if they included a light always on feature, then maybe. Big maybe.

#12 ShipNerd

ShipNerd

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:17 PM

I would only purchase her if the sculpt/mold was redone.

That being a most likely being a NO...

I have to Pass.

ShipNerd.

#13 Alex

Alex

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 926 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:19 PM

Yes, absolutely! Although I'd have preferred new electronics (FC sounds and all LED

#14 Guest_user897_*

Guest_user897_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:25 AM

This is a maybe for me, just because we don't know much about it at this point. If it is confirmed that there are no new sounds and the lighting system isn't changed, then that's a hell no. If I like what I see and hear on a FINAL PRODUCTION toy (not going through the Nemesis prototype debacle again), then it's a hell yes. If it's the same innards with only a change to the paint, I really don't see this thing selling too well, even though First Contact is the best film featuring the Enterprise-E. Right now it really sucks for me because I STILL don't have a good toy representation of this awesome ship.

#15 flw

flw

Tracking number maniac

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 11:18 AM

It depends on the paint and electronics for me as well. I would lean toward a "yes", but a FC version would be much improved by a new chip.

"The line must be drawn HERE! This far, NO further!"

or ...

"Jean-Luc, blow up the damn ship!"

or ...

"If you were any other man, I would kill you where you stand!"

or even ...

"You still remember how to fire phasers?"

So many great lines - a fantastic movie.

#16 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2013 - 11:44 AM

I voted maybe. I'd like to see it first. It's a real shame DST didn't go all out and do a totally new sculpt for the E based off of the one they have for Nemesis but with the changes in details and proportions so knowing it's the Nemesis ship just painted to look like the FC ship kind of puts a mark against it for me but the sounds may swing it back.

I'm hoping also for an improvement in the light bleed too and to just issue a slightly refined in the quality control section (less bleed, no TM tag or at lease not in that place, perhaps LED's rather than bulbs).

I'd really love to see DST do new sculpts for a lot of their older ships (D, E, TOS Ent, NX01) since I think they could vastly improve each one to the same level of OH MY FREEEEEEKIN GOD AWESOMNESS of the Bird of Prey wink.gif

#17 trekkier

trekkier

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:23 PM

What are the differences between the NEM version and the FC version?

The 2 lower torpedo bays, the torpedo bay above deck 3, some phaser arrays that were not there on the nacelles, they widened the impluse engines and the nacelles were pushed forward and higher by a tiny bit.

Now i agree, new SFX would be awesome, but people not buying ONLY because of those really minor sculpt changes over all, is pretty crazy.

#18 DSTZach

DSTZach

I can stop I just don't want to.

• VIP
  • 696 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:39 PM

Tooling is definitely the same, it's the only reason we're doing this version -- maybe if we were tooling this today, we would have planned for sculptural changes like we did with the D/AGT and B/Excelsior. But this is an old tool.

I've been TOLD the sound chip is the same. As stated earlier, I think we're still using existing stock.

As far as I know, the lighting is the same, unless there are small changes that can be done with paint -- but I can' t imagine we'll be rewiring the ship to make an always-on feature for the FC, and not the Nemesis.

Not sure of the production run, but I believe it is lower than the Nemesis, and the first run of the Nemesis is already almost depleted, so I'm not worried about people avoiding this version because it's not different enough.

Hope this helps! And I hope some of you like it! Thomas did a bang-up job.

#19 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 04:33 PM

That he did, and there should be no shame at DST if the FC version doesn't sell as well, it's just a case of the bar being set really high by the Nemesis version.

When you think about the relative merits of the source films, that's actually a huge indicator of the attention to detail that Thomas, and all y'all at DST bring to the game.

#20 VorlonKosh

VorlonKosh

The card is maxed out.

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 04:50 PM

QUOTE (Destructor!!! @ Mar 1 2013, 04:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That he did, and there should be no shame at DST if the FC version doesn't sell as well, it's just a case of the bar being set really high by the Nemesis version.

When you think about the relative merits of the source films, that's actually a huge indicator of the attention to detail that Thomas, and all y'all at DST bring to the game.

I voted no since it is only a new paint job with no other differences. If I were a customizer, I would have bought one to make into another designation rather than another Enterprise-E.

"We are all Kosh (and Borg)"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users