Photo

DSTs next ship Poll

• Please log in to reply
118 replies to this topic

Poll: Choose The Ship (52 member(s) have cast votes)

Which ship would you like DST to make next?

1. USS Reliant (14 votes [26.92%])

Percentage of vote: 26.92%

2. USS Defiant (16 votes [30.77%])

Percentage of vote: 30.77%

3. USS Enterprise C (12 votes [23.08%])

Percentage of vote: 23.08%

4. USS Voyager (10 votes [19.23%])

Percentage of vote: 19.23%

5. USS Stargazer (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:43 PM

Maybe the defiant stand could be a portion of the Deep Space Nine space station with the Defiant displayed either docked or flying from the docking port on the standard black ball jointed stand? I guess it depends how big the Defiant is (12 inches?)

#42 Wildcard

Wildcard

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:52 AM

QUOTE (Alteran195 @ Feb 20 2013, 08:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That could actually dock with the station with magnets. I would buy the hell out of that.

I think a lot of people would. The Hallmark version of DS9 w/ the mini ships you could hang on it was one of their most popular items. Of course none of these were in-scale, but it was still one of my favorite collectables.

The Playmates version with the semi-in-scale ENT-D was one of my fav pieces to hunt down.

#43 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:06 AM

Yeah, the second I find one of those Playmates DS9's that won't murder me on shipping to Ireland... It's MINE!

#44 DSTZach

DSTZach

I can stop I just don't want to.

• VIP
  • 696 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:41 PM

QUOTE (flw @ Feb 19 2013, 09:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
DSTZach, I totally understand the business end of the issue. I would suggest looking at what Playmates made and the prices some of their hard-to-find stuff command on the secondary market, such as eBay. The Defiant and the Voyager would both be big sellers by that measure, as the Enterprise-B seems to be as well.

I don't know what numbers some of those Playmates items were put out at, nor how many are in the hands of collectors, nor how many are being resold by those collectors. Hard to say a 10,000-piece run would not be overkill.

That said, we are obviously considering both of those ships, as well as most of the ships in the poll.

#45 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:20 PM

Zach now you've done a few cars from other franchises, would it be completely out of the realms of possibility to eventually get something like a shuttlecraft?

Also have you ever considered a Runabout ship that would not include an interior but possibly some kind of 3D and light effect in the windows using a film slide from DS9 of the interior to one of the runabouts?

#46 flw

flw

Tracking number maniac

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:35 PM

QUOTE (DSTZach @ Feb 21 2013, 05:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't know what numbers some of those Playmates items were put out at, nor how many are in the hands of collectors, nor how many are being resold by those collectors. Hard to say a 10,000-piece run would not be overkill.

That said, we are obviously considering both of those ships, as well as most of the ships in the poll.

Good point - thanks for the information. I don't know everything about the business end of things ... but great to know you're considering it. Is 10,000 a pretty standard number of units to justify a production run?

#47 Alex

Alex

• Members
  • 926 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:55 PM

QUOTE (flw @ Feb 21 2013, 10:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Good point - thanks for the information. I don't know everything about the business end of things ... but great to know you're considering it. Is 10,000 a pretty standard number of units to justify a production run?
Flw, I can actually provide a bit of perspective on this. The initial run of the Enterprise–E back in '06 was something like 100,000 units, if I remember correctly. The second run reissues from 2007 that were produced alongside the BD 1701–E was a run of about 10,000 units. DST also had to include a BD 1701–E in each case of the second run to justify production costs, so I don't think 10,000 units is really standard. (There were four Enterprise–E's to a case, each case was numbered; take the number of cases total and multiply it by four and you have to total number of units produced. I had pictures up here at one point many years ago that showed this information printed onto the cases.)

#48 Will Decker

Will Decker

Lives in the city on the edge of forever

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:05 PM

QUOTE (DSTZach @ Feb 21 2013, 05:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Zach, please put in a good word for a Klingon K'tinga battlecruiser. And tell chuck it's fine that they just did a klingon ship! What other more iconic alien ship is there? Besides the BOP that you guys just did.

My 2 cents.

#49 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:50 PM

Make that 4 cents and 2 good words, my friend!

#50 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:54 PM

I think the romulan warbird is pretty iconic myself, but a k'tinga would be pretty nice too.

#51 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:07 PM

The K'Tinga never really had an awesome toy so it would be cool to get one, and with the same mold there would be a ST IV and Classic Series and even a Romulan Variant as well....they would for sure get use of the mold.

#52 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2013 - 06:26 AM

I would love a Romulan Warbird from TNG (not the generic Eaves versions from Nemesis)

The K'Tinga I don't think is as iconic a ship to have a toy made of it so as nice as it would be I can't see it being done.

#53 DSTZach

DSTZach

I can stop I just don't want to.

• VIP
  • 696 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:41 AM

QUOTE (1701 @ Feb 21 2013, 09:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Zach now you've done a few cars from other franchises, would it be completely out of the realms of possibility to eventually get something like a shuttlecraft?

Also have you ever considered a Runabout ship that would not include an interior but possibly some kind of 3D and light effect in the windows using a film slide from DS9 of the interior to one of the runabouts?

We couldn't sell our Minimates-scale Galileo to retailers a while back, not sure when we'd consider something like a shuttlecraft or runabout, especially with so many iconic ships left to do, but Ask DST about it!

QUOTE (flw @ Feb 21 2013, 10:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was estimating, but I think 10-15K isa pretty standard run for us. Ask DST!

QUOTE (Alex @ Feb 22 2013, 04:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ftw, I can actually provide a bit of perspective on this. The initial run of the Enterprise

#54 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:43 PM

I wonder... does it rhyme with Shmoshminion Smattack Shmip?

#55 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:53 PM

QUOTE (Destructor!!! @ Mar 4 2013, 09:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I wonder... does it rhyme with Shmoshminion Smattack Shmip?

If they are gonna try for 2 ships a year that would go quite well with Defiant.

#56 Alex

Alex

• Members
  • 926 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:13 PM

QUOTE (DSTZach @ Mar 4 2013, 12:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
100,000 seems like a lot. MAYBE we were making that many back in the day, but I'm not sure what outlets carried that ship initially. A Toys "R" Us purchase would have boosted our numbers significantly. Target, even more so.

Zach, you're right; I goofed on the total for the first run. I'm not sure where I got 100,000 from, but the correct number is 16,000 for the first run. Here are some pictures for reference:

A case from the initial run back in '06 with a case from the '07 reissue.

Close

#57 Jedigreedo

Jedigreedo

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:23 PM

I'm not sure those numbers pertain to the total production run, I've had cases with some pretty low numbers. I've figured they were the allotments for a specific warehouse.

#58 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:21 AM

QUOTE (Jedigreedo @ Mar 4 2013, 08:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm not sure those numbers pertain to the total production run, I've had cases with some pretty low numbers. I've figured they were the allotments for a specific warehouse.

Jedigreddo is right, that is the allotment for a certain retailer, because when it came to the figures, New Force gets custom case packs and so do other retailers and their cases are numbered accordingly so you can't judge a production run of a ship from the case numbers

#59 Alex

Alex

• Members
  • 926 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 02:45 AM

Wow, thanks BBM; I didn't know that.

EDIT: Wait, so if that's only part of the run, does that number mean that NFCC ordered 6,500 Enterprise

#60 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 02:57 AM

Now i can't guarantee that is the same with the ships but i'd assume it is as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users